Author Topic: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread  (Read 152838 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread
« Reply #1240 on: January 30, 2023, 08:25:52 pm »
Only one per person :(
Maybe if you have children over 18....

I don’t think that’s right, you can have more then one just as long as you don’t put in more then £4k per year and only pay into one per year.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1241 on: January 30, 2023, 08:36:56 pm »
Yes. I think you are right.
Ignore me please .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1242 on: January 30, 2023, 09:41:59 pm »
Only one per person :(
Maybe if you have children over 18....
Cheers & no I do not ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: January 30, 2023, 09:42:36 pm »
I don’t think that’s right, you can have more then one just as long as you don’t put in more then £4k per year and only pay into one per year.
From what we've seen it's only one?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1244 on: January 30, 2023, 10:22:02 pm »
I think it depends how you look at it. You can have several, with different providers. But you can only put in a fixed amount each year (£4k I think. Way more than I need to think about). And from what Wlr says you can only put into one per year.  In a practical sense it might as well only be one unless you shop around every year and find better rates.( Or you could invest in the Crypto con in about to launch)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1245 on: February 8, 2023, 07:35:26 pm »
Cheers. Will look into it

I was offered a job with cryptocurrency payment. F that  ;D

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: February 8, 2023, 09:37:39 pm »

How about NFTs  ;)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: February 19, 2024, 12:40:18 pm »
Are any of you guys using "Trading View" for your Technical Analysis charts

I have just started with it.  It's pretty cool.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1248 on: March 22, 2024, 08:45:12 am »
Are any of you guys using "Trading View" for your Technical Analysis charts

I have just started with it.  It's pretty cool.

Been using it for 3 years and it's at the core of my trading.

I love TradingView and their alerts, would be entirely lost without them. ;D
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: March 22, 2024, 03:03:07 pm »

Probably safer than Turkish Lira

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: March 22, 2024, 03:04:45 pm »
What's the thoughts on UK interest rates.
I drop off fixed rate in June. Tempted to wait till then to see how the land lies with a view to staying on SVR till back end of this year.
Issues are . SVR is huge, about 9%I think (5 yr fix about 5.5%)
Self employed now with very variable income, shopping around is tricky.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: April 9, 2024, 05:36:48 pm »
I'm clueless about trading & investments etc but it was clear a while ago that just having some money in the bank is not going to do any work for you.
So without any knowledge and only having a brief chat with one of my mates, just over a year or so ago I spread a few bob across different places.

I've been reluctant to post this but I thought it might help people who are thinking about their own personal situations.
And obviously I won't divulge how much is in each account.

The % next to each investment is my return (+) or loss (-) over 12 months or so.
I haven't included the Lottery.

Premium Bonds ... +3.35% (this is really low but I'm dedicated to the theory I could get a reasonably good win one day).

NS&I growth bonds ... +4%.

Vanguard stocks & shares ISA's:
Emerging markets stock index fund ... +1.83%
Life strategy 20% equity fund ... +3.72%
Life strategy 80% equity fund ... +15.55%
Global sustainable equity fund ... +18.31%

Fidelity stocks & shares ISA's:
Fidelity index world fund P-acc ... +8.60%
Fidelity open world fund W-accumulation ... +14.25%

Trading via a SAXO platform:
Agnico eagle mines ... +11.71%
Fresnillo PLC ... +9.02
GSK PLC ... +18.65
McEwen mining Inc ... +20.53
Pan African resources PLC ... +24.24
Pan America silver corp ... +14.82
I took a hit on Glencore mining, it went down quite a few % but seems to have recovered after I'd sold them.
The shares in Saxo fluctuate (obviously), the Pan American silver corp seemed to dip significantly during the year but I hardly looked, I just bought it all and left it.
I hope there's no corrections necessary in the figures above.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1252 on: April 10, 2024, 01:38:27 pm »
Interesting that, John. I suspect quite a few of your funds have overlaps - was there a logic behind choosing them all?

I have a very simple approach to investing which I've arrived at after a bit of time fannying about in the market: If I can achieve the global market average then I will be happy.

As a result, my pension (SIPP with Vanguard) is invested in the FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund and my S&S ISA (InvestEngine/Trading 212) is invested in VWRP (a global ETF). Both have returned just shy of 20% over the past 12 months. I reinvest any dividends on both of those funds.

The global stock market has achieved, on average, something around 10% (before inflation) for about the last 100 years. If you can regularly invest and keep your fees low, you should be able to obtain around 8% return each year over a long-term investing period.

I have a model showing what my pots will be based on 4%, 5% and 6%, inflation-adjusted returns. All are below the historic average so I am preparing for the worst but even with the lower of the estimates, I'll be happy with my pot aged 55 when I'm planning on retiring. I focus on keeping investing fees low and shovelling as much as I can into these pots each month.

The reason for investing in plain, 100% equity global funds is that I got to the point where I accepted that I am completely unqualified to pick a specific fund or stock above any other. Combining this with the fact that over 90% of fund managers fail to beat the performance of the market meant I felt I was wasting my time trying.

Even when I was looking at the success of the S&P500 over recent years and considering more of a US tilt to my portfolio, I found that over the last 100 years, the US has underperformed "rest of the world" stocks almost as much as it has overperformed them. I am patently not qualified to decide whether this current boom period of the S&P500 will last.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: April 10, 2024, 03:17:21 pm »
Interesting that, John. I suspect quite a few of your funds have overlaps - was there a logic behind choosing them all?
Thanks mate. If I'm completely honest it was based on some basic info I had 12 months ago and I think I got lucky. The mining shares were due to a podcast I heard in which they discussed the increase in EV's internationally requiring copper mining to increase; the American silver was based on small amount of silver required in solar panels.
GSK was a strong recommendation from my mate. My mate made thousands of gold share options which I never got in to.
I was disappointed in the emerging markets fund, I might have chose the wrong type, but the African shares which I regarded as an emerging market also gave a decent return.
My wife got 20% from a Vanguard FTSE global all Cap Index fund.

It's not something I enjoy at all really, I just regarded it a necessity as some money my mum left me 10 years ago was losing value in a bank account.
My mate is really in to it.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: April 10, 2024, 03:31:43 pm »
I was disappointed in the emerging markets fund, I might have chose the wrong type, but the African shares which I regarded as an emerging market also gave a decent return.

Emerging markets have been dragging compared to developed markets for some time now. Again, some might decide to put a tilt in their portfolio but I have no idea whether this will continue or not!

I really think the lack of education in the basics of investing is a big oversight in the educational curriculum. The power of compound interest is so great that if youngsters could see the benefit of small and regular investing, their future selves would be indebted to them.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1255 on: April 10, 2024, 03:37:36 pm »
On investment I used to do some active investment stuff for my SIPP for my pension but have simplified it completely now

Maybe about 75% HSBC FTSE All World Index Fund, 25% Royal London Short Term Money market.

Probably a bit high on the money market fund element there, but valuations look a little bullish so no harm in having a bit of security, and with rates where they are at the moment at least you get some pretty much risk free return there.

If markets pulled back reasonably significantly I would maybe rotate a bit of the money market funds into the tracker

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: April 10, 2024, 06:38:54 pm »
If markets pulled back reasonably significantly I would maybe rotate a bit of the money market funds into the tracker
waiting for "market correction" is a term my mate used when I was telling him how I'd been doing  :)

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1257 on: April 10, 2024, 11:31:41 pm »
waiting for "market correction" is a term my mate used when I was telling him how I'd been doing  :)

I mean markets look expensive but they've looked expensive for a long while now, you could miss out on a whole lot of returns waiting years for correction!

So I'm still pretty heavy on equities really, I mean the longer your investment term is the more you should have in equities really.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: April 17, 2024, 12:25:35 pm »
I mean markets look expensive but they've looked expensive for a long while now, you could miss out on a whole lot of returns waiting years for correction!

Yep. Also, the majority of the current bull run is bring driven by the big US tech firms which are operating at historically high valuations.

If you look at most of the rest of the S&P500 (and elsewhere), the market is relatively flat and valuations are more sensible.