Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868053 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8000 on: August 6, 2020, 07:17:20 am »
If the Mi Mix 4 is the Mi Mix Alpha that's my next phone

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8001 on: August 6, 2020, 03:00:51 pm »
If the Mi Mix 4 is the Mi Mix Alpha that's my next phone

This was announced in September last year and was slated for a Q2 2020 release.  Absolutely no sign of it and I'd be very surprised if it looks anything like the concept if/when it is released.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8002 on: August 7, 2020, 06:58:17 am »
Yeah, I remember ogling it as the Alpha
What I posted there is some alleged advertising from June. The back is different, on the Alpha it was a lot more screen:

Makes sense they'd scale back the amount of glass back. No real sign of it, but as changes go I think that's a realistic one. Really hope it comes out though!
« Last Edit: August 7, 2020, 08:10:33 am by ToneLa »

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8003 on: August 10, 2020, 02:48:58 pm »
Yeah, I remember ogling it as the Alpha
What I posted there is some alleged advertising from June. The back is different, on the Alpha it was a lot more screen:

Makes sense they'd scale back the amount of glass back. No real sign of it, but as changes go I think that's a realistic one. Really hope it comes out though!
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_ceo_mi_mix_line_and_surge_chips_put_on_hold_but_will_make_a_return_someday-news-44682.php
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8004 on: August 11, 2020, 06:42:49 pm »
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_ceo_mi_mix_line_and_surge_chips_put_on_hold_but_will_make_a_return_someday-news-44682.php

oh I Was about to post that! saw:

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-mi-mix-series-1146161/

Won't be the Alpha design sadly but I don't need the back the Alpha has, I just love the curved design and the under-screen selfie camera

Here's hoping. I want the Mi 10 Ultra now I'm working BUT I keep phones for like 2 years and my Mi 9 is still brilliant....

Mi 10 Ultra has a bit of a good curved screen:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 06:47:05 pm by ToneLa »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8005 on: August 12, 2020, 11:29:59 am »
Apparently the Ultra ain't coming out if you're outside China

Way to grow the brand Xiaomi... Ah well, I used ebay for my Mi 9 to get a Chinese model and it works just fine

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #8006 on: August 13, 2020, 02:44:44 pm »
Anyone recommend the Samsung note 10 lite or 10+?
Any sim free deals about?

Cheers
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #8007 on: August 13, 2020, 10:00:35 pm »
Anyone recommend the Samsung note 10 lite or 10+?
Any sim free deals about?

Cheers
Had a Note 10 plus for about a year. Awesome piece of kit for work and play. Battery is great,  which is a real bonus. The s pen is a great tool.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8008 on: August 15, 2020, 11:06:15 am »
So I've had a p20 pro for a few years now and it's been brilliant hut the battery is starting to struggle. Any recommendations on what I should go for next. Don't want to spend more than 400 really. Don't want apple or anything without Google!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:09:48 am by smicer07 »

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #8009 on: August 15, 2020, 11:16:45 am »
So I've had a p20 pro for a few years now and it's been brilliant hut the battery is starting to struggle. Any recommendations on what I should go for next. Don't want to spend more than 400 really. Don't want apple or anything without Google!

Similar boat here, although the battery on my p20 pro is still performing well.

The Huawei had been good, but can't do the p40 because of the Google issue. P30 pro New edition is an option though. Anyone got one?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8010 on: August 19, 2020, 06:44:13 pm »
Tech question:

My mum changed her phone and SIM and ported her number last month. My partner can call her, she can call me, but when I call her I get 'number not recognised.'

I'm on 3, I think she is too - any idea why that might be?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8011 on: August 20, 2020, 07:42:32 pm »
Thinking of getting the Google Pixel 4a (@Dim; what's it like? )

It seems reasonably priced...

But apparently they have a 5G version coming out in September so is it worth waiting for that?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8012 on: August 20, 2020, 08:20:18 pm »
I'm getting, from China, and on Paypal Credit (don't worry, used that for ages, and I'm working with a month already in hand!)

Xiaomi 10 Ultra Commemorative (meaning Transparent) Edition Cell Phone
12GB RAM 256GB

Liaow.com will install Play Store and set it to English for me and all. Umm, I might reflash it myself and put English on myself - you know how it is, para! But don't worry, I've done this before. Not the first Chinese phone I'm setting to English  ;D Not even the first Xiaomi!

Exchange rate
£868.04 GBP = $1,094.00 USD

Review:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2020/08/18/xiaomi-mi-10-ultra-review-10th-anniversary-phone-is-worth-celebrating/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:29:11 pm by ToneLa »

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8013 on: August 20, 2020, 08:35:21 pm »
Tony, I dont think i want to spend grand on a phone!

But if you need all those features then fair enough...

I think the Google Pixel 4a looks fine..

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8014 on: August 20, 2020, 08:47:47 pm »
Tony, I dont think i want to spend grand on a phone!

But if you need all those features then fair enough...

I think the Google Pixel 4a looks fine..

:D I didn't post that to put pressure on anyone, haha. I know I'm mad, nobody has to copy me... but I know what makes me happy!

The Pixel 4A looks boss :) I really tust GSMArena, here's their review:
https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_4a-review-2148.php

4 stars for that price?? I'm made up with what I've just done :D .. but you might be getting more bang for your buck technically.

As for 5G. Mmm, it's tricky, my gut says it depends on how long you want a phone for (2 years is average I'd say - 4g isn't painful done right though 5G will still have the same coverage issues which isn't a tech issue per se), and how you use it - for me, it's like, Corona hasn't half killed the amount of roaming I do. 5G isn't a top drawer feature yet, but... I think it'd be better to get over that hump if you can.

So... If you CAN wait for that version and it isn't going to do a number on the price I'd wait, in your shoes. And the infrastructure is coming... even if I think 4G was never all it was cracked up to be  :)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8015 on: August 21, 2020, 05:28:54 am »
No worries Tone. Thanks for the review. You can get this phone (64gb model) on Vodafone for £28/m @ mobiles.co.uk with 54GB of data

That aint bad.  Need to do more research.

As for 5g i doubt i'll need it to be honest and its just an added cost i.e the Google 5G phone will be about £500 when it comes out compared to £350 for the 4a

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8016 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:43 am »
I was looking at the coverage for 5G for my new phone in case I need to change networks some day and saw Vodafone were doing it in Liverpool (and Birkenhead!) first.  Interesting note :D

But yeah, I'm looking at it this way myself: am I happy with 4G and the coverage and speeds? Yes :) If it's really £150 extra they can go whistle

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8017 on: August 22, 2020, 12:55:27 pm »
Couple of things about 5G that is worth keeping an eye out (and not that it causes covid :P )

5G is fast, but you do need more line of sight to the masts to get that signal. It's not great inside and through walls.

If you are buying phones up front, check to see if your 5G phone is capable of 5G in the uk. Certain phones run on different band of the 5G frequency

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8018 on: August 22, 2020, 01:56:34 pm »
Couple of things about 5G that is worth keeping an eye out (and not that it causes covid :P )

5G is fast, but you do need more line of sight to the masts to get that signal. It's not great inside and through walls.

If you are buying phones up front, check to see if your 5G phone is capable of 5G in the uk. Certain phones run on different band of the 5G frequency

Good advice. Hell I spent a day checking what networks I could use 4G on... China especially uses different bands than us. GSMArena's phone page should always tell you, and I had a vendor good enough to give me the 5G bands straight, it's not too much to ask and indeed many online stores even tell you

Essential resources for anyone looking at importing:
https://www.gsmarena.com/
https://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/
Check your bands!!
------

Good shout on 5G though. I've currently got pretty low interest in it (it seems offered on different tariffs altogether right now), but didn't know the immediacy of the mast thing! Still, early days for it. There's some more frequency band bidding early next year I believe, so what networks are best should take shape then

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #8019 on: August 23, 2020, 11:56:02 am »
Just ordered a Pixel 3a from Currys on Ebay (h/t gazzalfc/Hedley Lamarr).

Faffed around for a bit and went backwards and forwards a bit more between the Moto G8 Plus and Samsung A41 (which I hadn't realised is a bit smaller than the A40).  Then went back to the £289 Pixel 3a on Ebay (which I like for its modest size) and there is a code for an extra 5% off (PRODUCT5).  So £275.55 at the checkout feels like it is as good as it will get for a new phone.  Should be here before Friday.

Thanks for your help.  :thumbup

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #8020 on: August 23, 2020, 12:43:15 pm »
Thinking of getting the Google Pixel 4a (@Dim; what's it like? )

It seems reasonably priced...

But apparently they have a 5G version coming out in September so is it worth waiting for that?

Only just got it, they sent the pre-orders out from google last week, so I got it Friday and got stuff copied over yesterday. So not used it much!

Like I said - my main motivation was camera. And took a few photos yesterday, and it’s night and day in comparison with the awful camera on my oneplus phone. So that looks very promising, will be using it a lot more this coming week.

I am not a heavy mobile user though. I know a lot of people use ‘em as extenstions of their computers almost, but I don’t. Apart from camera, the main uses it’ll get is for playing podcasts, some calls/texting/whatssap, using banking apps, and a few other bits n pieces. Sometimes I’ll use it as a mobile hotspot when I am out and about.

This is one reason I have zero interest in paying ridiculous amounts on mobiles! So the $349 this is (or rather about $375 with tax), is more my level of cost. It’s why I’d been loyal to OnePlus for a good few years - cos of cost firstly.

So far so good! No idea 'bout 5g, I’m not tech savvy enough or interested enough in that side of things to know why I’d really need it - done without it so far  :P For what I use a phone for, this looks more than plenty.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 12:52:44 pm by Dim Glas »

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8021 on: August 23, 2020, 03:51:45 pm »
Sounds good Dim. I don't need all the features on the high end models either. I'm probably going to get the Pixel 4a on a contract for £28/month  which is very reasonable in my estimation.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8022 on: August 24, 2020, 06:00:08 pm »
I'm made up my new phone (which arrives Thursday) has an infrared blaster, so those Universal TV Remote apps work (as they do on my current blower).

Just hoping Everton get to a cup final next season, so when I'm in the pub..... off the telly goes ;)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8023 on: August 24, 2020, 06:03:24 pm »
Can' t believe how much people spend on phones.

My last phone cost £30 and lasted around 10 years.

My current phone was given to me.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8024 on: August 24, 2020, 06:57:06 pm »
Just ordered a Poco F2 pro from Aliexpress. Hope it's decent.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8025 on: August 25, 2020, 08:11:42 pm »
Thought I'd ask on here as some people seem to know their stuff.

I've got a Huawei P20 Pro on an EE contract at £30 a month with 30gb of data. It's now at the end of the 2 year contract, so want to "upgrade" on a similar contract.

Love the Huawei, but obviously the P40 is out if I want Google services. However, the P30 Pro New Edition looks like an option. But don't want to get it and then be frozen out of Google services, as I use them extensively. Is the P30 a good option, or would people suggest something else that's of an equivalent spec?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8026 on: August 25, 2020, 08:33:04 pm »
Love the Huawei, but obviously the P40 is out if I want Google services. However, the P30 Pro New Edition looks like an option. But don't want to get it and then be frozen out of Google services, as I use them extensively. Is the P30 a good option, or would people suggest something else that's of an equivalent spec?

The P40 is still an Android phone (Android is Open Source) and will still get access to security updates. But you wont get Google services (Google play store, Google maps, Google Pay) out the box due to the current trade ban with the US.

There are certain workarounds to get some Google services back but it's a faff. Technically there is a Huawei app store that brings some of that functionality back (facebook, twitter whatsapp etc).

The P30 on the other hand was made before the trade ban so keeps all Google services and will not be dropped in the entire lifetime of your phone. It will be as if you had bought any other Android phone.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:36:45 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8027 on: August 25, 2020, 08:52:14 pm »
I rang mobiles.co.uk and they said the Google 4(A) is not out until Sept 10th and shipping in October.  I asked them to keep me informed

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8028 on: August 25, 2020, 09:40:52 pm »
The P40 is still an Android phone (Android is Open Source) and will still get access to security updates. But you wont get Google services (Google play store, Google maps, Google Pay) out the box due to the current trade ban with the US.

There are certain workarounds to get some Google services back but it's a faff. Technically there is a Huawei app store that brings some of that functionality back (facebook, twitter whatsapp etc).

The P30 on the other hand was made before the trade ban so keeps all Google services and will not be dropped in the entire lifetime of your phone. It will be as if you had bought any other Android phone.

Yes, but the P30 new edition has come out later, but they're circumventing the "ban" as it's an older phone with some updates.

Just worried that I get it, and then it's retrospectively added to the list.

I know the P40 is on android, but I need the Google services for my work, amongst other things. Used to mod my android phones (had the G1 and put out on a modded ROM as soon as I got it. Only about 5 years ago did I stick to the stock OS, but still use Nova launcher ahead of what the phones come with.

The Huawei hardware is excellent. Good screen, good battery life, great camera, etc. Would have gone for another Huawei without question, and struggling to find a comparative alternative, without spending a lot more.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8029 on: August 26, 2020, 08:47:40 pm »
my Mi 10 Ultra arrived!

It's gorgeous, amazing... everything I wanted.  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #8030 on: September 19, 2020, 02:52:42 pm »
So the Poco X3 looks a hell of a little phone, ~£200 as well  :o

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8031 on: September 23, 2020, 02:08:20 pm »
When buying second hand, how many years old should be the oldest I buy? For the sake of maximising the number of future updates and accessing support etc. I'm not bothered about the tech being outdated.

I have limited funds and a preference for screens under 5 inches - which is why I've never had a flagship phone before. But it seems I'll have to compromise on the screen size and go bigger. I've also never not had a Samsung in the smartphone era and am reluctant to change. I've waited for signs they would release something to compete against the 4.7" iPhone SE but I can't wait no longer. I'm not totally comfortable with second hand electronics of this price but I know I'll get twice as much phone for my money if get an old flagship model, and may as well do so if I have to buy a phone with a screen the size of the flagship ones anyway. But how old is too old?

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #8032 on: September 24, 2020, 11:38:55 am »
When buying second hand, how many years old should be the oldest I buy? For the sake of maximising the number of future updates and accessing support etc. I'm not bothered about the tech being outdated.

I have limited funds and a preference for screens under 5 inches - which is why I've never had a flagship phone before. But it seems I'll have to compromise on the screen size and go bigger. I've also never not had a Samsung in the smartphone era and am reluctant to change. I've waited for signs they would release something to compete against the 4.7" iPhone SE but I can't wait no longer. I'm not totally comfortable with second hand electronics of this price but I know I'll get twice as much phone for my money if get an old flagship model, and may as well do so if I have to buy a phone with a screen the size of the flagship ones anyway. But how old is too old?
I had a very similar dilemma recently.  My last two phones were bought at about 2 years old and lasted me about 5 years before apps that I used a lot stopped working (mostly banking, email and navigation/maps) so I reckon on being able to use an Android phone for about 3-4 years after the OS is superceed.  If the apps you use/need don't require updates the phones themselve will probably go on longer.

With smaller models I was pretty much left with iPhone7/8 and Galaxy S7/S8 that were from 2016/17 which I thought were getting a bit long in the tooth.  The Samsungs both support Android 9 (Pie) while the iPhone seems to support the latest iOS 14 (although I don't know how well the new iOS runs on older devices).  I looked at a 2 year old S9 and an A40 which would have supported Android 10 but at 5.8/5.9" they were still a bit big for my taste and not especially cheap.

I am not an Apple fan so I bit the bullet and got a new Pixel 3a on advice from here as it had just dropped in price and I needed something for work. The model is about a year and a half old and at 5.6" is something of a compromise in terms of size but I have got used to it quite quickly and it will support the very latest Android 11 so hopefully I will get at least four years from it.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8033 on: September 30, 2020, 09:37:35 am »
I received my Pixel 4a through the post this week. Delighted to revert back to a 'smaller' handset and be able to comfortably use it with one hand.

Build quality is good (so long as you don't have a problem with a plastic back), it is wonderfully light and performance is great - I've not noticed any stuttering but I'm not a gamer so haven't really put it through its paces.

Camera is up there with £1200 phones despite having a 12MP sensor (Google do a lot of software tuning on the image).

Would recommend.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8034 on: October 19, 2020, 03:31:35 pm »
I'm using Realme X2 Pro. Absolutely fantastic phone.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #8035 on: October 21, 2020, 06:27:03 am »
If anyone was thinking of getting the new Samsung Galaxy Note 20 - go for the standard one over the Ultra.
It's way cheaper, doesn't have a stupid camera lump or bendy screen sides, and is a lot more robust. A much better phone, especially for a clumsy bastard like me.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8036 on: October 21, 2020, 07:09:33 am »
Some of the Chinese phones released are fantastic value.  I always have two phones, one for work, one personal.  Currently they're the new iPhone SE20 for personal and a Pixel 4a for work.  However, I picked up an Oppo Reno 2z because I saw it in a shop window for under £200.  It's all I've been using. Glorious screen, in screen fingerprint scanner, wonderfully made.

The only annoying thing is the duplicate apps that come with the OS overlay, but I'll use ADB to get rid of them when I can be arsed.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8037 on: October 21, 2020, 08:12:51 am »
Need to upgrade my P20 Pro that I've had for a couple of years. Love the Huawei, but need the Google apps so a new Huawei is out of the question.

What do people recommend? Seems like all the top-end phones are bloody pricey, but I want something powerful and going to be future-proof.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8038 on: October 21, 2020, 08:28:33 am »
The OnePlus Nord looks fantastic value.  Under £400.  For that you get -

5g
8gb RAM
128gb storage
90 Hz refresh rate
In screen fingerprint scanner
Warp charge that gets you from 0 to 70% in 30 minutes.

It also comes with a factory installed screen protector if you're like me and just can't bloody fit them properly.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8039 on: October 21, 2020, 03:13:09 pm »

Need to upgrade my P20 Pro that I've had for a couple of years. Love the Huawei, but need the Google apps so a new Huawei is out of the question.

What do people recommend? Seems like all the top-end phones are bloody pricey, but I want something powerful and going to be future-proof.

Been using Redmi Note 9 pro for about a month or so now and have to say it's bloody brilliant for the money. I paid £200 for it. Unreal value for money when compare the spec to that of flagship Apple, Samsung, Sony etc phone.

It's really quick phone, far more storage than I will ever probably need, 64mp quad camera, huge battery which charges really really quick and I think excellent build quality.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus