Author Topic: Espresso Machines  (Read 76845 times)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
Re: Espresso Machines
« Reply #680 on: November 21, 2020, 12:33:46 pm »
Got a Gaggia Classic recently and really loving it at the minute.

Does anyone else end up with a shitload of mess every time they make a coffee though? Maybe I'm just being sloppy.

Welcome to the club. Best bang-for-buck home barista machine money can buy. The important thing to know bout the Classic is that it doesn't come ready to.make perfect coffee out of the box. A couple of key adjustments need to be made, most importantly the pressure OPV needs adjusting to 10BAR at the portafilter so it brews at 9BAR. This is a very simple DIY job, as are all of the below...

IMS Precision Shower Screen
Brass Shower Plate
Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand
Bottomless portafilter and IMS Competizione basket
Pressure OPV Mod
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #681 on: November 23, 2020, 06:43:34 pm »
Was joking about the mess, I'm just really clumsy using this thing at the minute!

Welcome to the club. Best bang-for-buck home barista machine money can buy. The important thing to know bout the Classic is that it doesn't come ready to.make perfect coffee out of the box. A couple of key adjustments need to be made, most importantly the pressure OPV needs adjusting to 10BAR at the portafilter so it brews at 9BAR. This is a very simple DIY job, as are all of the below...

IMS Precision Shower Screen
Brass Shower Plate
Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand
Bottomless portafilter and IMS Competizione basket
Pressure OPV Mod
As I'm a beginner, do you mind explaining what each of those does? Thanks

The first thing to replace was that cheap, plastic tamper.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: November 24, 2020, 10:30:32 pm »
The pressure OPV mod is the most important - it adjusts the machine to ensure that it delivers at 9 BAR of pressure, which is the gold standard for brewing espresso.

The steam wand change enables you (with practice) to make proper microfoam.

The others make smaller differences to the quality and consistency of your shots, and can be done over time.

If you bought the 2016-2019 model though, unlucky as it's not a real classic (doesn't have a brass boiler and solenoid valve which makes the classic such a good machine). This was because of misguided cost-cutting after Philips bought Gaggia. The new 2020 Classic Pro is basically the same as the old classic.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: November 24, 2020, 11:06:56 pm »
liking the look of this one although its a bit more

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Classic-RI8161-Machine-Professional/dp/B0000C72XS/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Just on the subject of the Gaggia Classic.

This post was 10 years ago... Its still going strong!
Beast of a machine!

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #684 on: November 25, 2020, 12:45:31 am »
The pressure OPV mod is the most important - it adjusts the machine to ensure that it delivers at 9 BAR of pressure, which is the gold standard for brewing espresso.

The steam wand change enables you (with practice) to make proper microfoam.

The others make smaller differences to the quality and consistency of your shots, and can be done over time.

If you bought the 2016-2019 model though, unlucky as it's not a real classic (doesn't have a brass boiler and solenoid valve which makes the classic such a good machine). This was because of misguided cost-cutting after Philips bought Gaggia. The new 2020 Classic Pro is basically the same as the old classic.
How do I know which model I have?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: November 25, 2020, 07:42:35 am »
Does the front panel have push buttons or switches? The Philips version had push buttons. It's still a reasonably good home machine, but not capable of making coffee-house quality espresso.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #686 on: November 25, 2020, 08:25:54 am »

Beast of a machine!

A mate of mine retro-fitted a shot clock on one of these for his mum. Everything these days is focused on dose, extraction time and yield. Thank God. Makes like so much easier.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: November 25, 2020, 01:28:47 pm »
Speaking of which, I havent done the OPV mod!

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #688 on: November 25, 2020, 02:13:20 pm »
Does the front panel have push buttons or switches? The Philips version had push buttons. It's still a reasonably good home machine, but not capable of making coffee-house quality espresso.
Well the power button is the energy saving kind. So you turn it on and the button clicks back out automatically.

I guess that’s the Phillips one?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: November 25, 2020, 04:24:47 pm »

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Espresso Machines
« Reply #690 on: November 25, 2020, 05:10:30 pm »
This is the original Classic, which other than the logo went largely unchanged for many years.
https://espressomachinereviews.org.uk/gaggia-classic-ri8161-espresso-machine-review

This is the one introduced a few years ago which is not as good
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gaggia/gaggia-classic/1404393/gaggia-classic-review-2015

And this is the new one which is good again.
https://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/gaggia-new-classic.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf2u9d-09pVjsEA0AQIbzqI2Vkw41JTiLscoR5XNcB5OICxKpNwLZXhoC-fgQAvD_BwE
Ah, I’ve got the good new one then. Actually bought it from that site too.

Honestly I love the coffee I’m making it on right now, and that’s with very little effort. Excited to see what else you can do with it.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: November 25, 2020, 05:28:03 pm »
Excellent! You can forget about the steam wand mod then - you don't need it! Not sure if you need the OPV mod or not. I'll read up and find out for you.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #692 on: November 26, 2020, 10:46:10 am »

Beast of a machine!
mine is starting to flake now.
The power keeps cutting out now, failing to hold the charge. Whenever I get a spare moment, I'll have to figure out what needs replacing. Until then, my  aeropress will keep me filled.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: November 26, 2020, 01:10:26 pm »
mine is starting to flake now.
The power keeps cutting out now, failing to hold the charge. Whenever I get a spare moment, I'll have to figure out what needs replacing. Until then, my  aeropress will keep me filled.

I changed the pump a few months ago, it was only 15 quid and there are tutorials on youtube, pretty easy.

I didnt actually need too in the end as it made no difference, turned out to be the selenoid valve which needed cleaning, again there is a vid on youtube.

best thing about these, you can get the parts and fix them pretty easy

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #694 on: November 27, 2020, 10:35:48 am »
I changed the pump a few months ago, it was only 15 quid and there are tutorials on youtube, pretty easy.

I didnt actually need too in the end as it made no difference, turned out to be the selenoid valve which needed cleaning, again there is a vid on youtube.

best thing about these, you can get the parts and fix them pretty easy
Yea, true. I bought the Gaggia Classic as i wanted to be able to fix it.

I just need to catch a breather to sit down and troubleshoot / fix.

Thanks man

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: November 29, 2020, 11:22:20 pm »
Yea, true. I bought the Gaggia Classic as i wanted to be able to fix it.

I just need to catch a breather to sit down and troubleshoot / fix.

Thanks man

No worries

Good luck!

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #696 on: April 22, 2021, 04:31:42 pm »
Good deal coffee drinkers, sign up for the subscription (Either 30 Pods, 2 x Bags of Beans or 2 x Bags of Ground) plus a free storage tin.

Use my Code : DAVID-J23PJ and get £10 off. So first month delivered for £3.50, then cancel when received.

https://grind.co.uk/

Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #697 on: June 15, 2021, 09:58:50 am »
I still have my gaggia baby ivory, which is effectively a classic repackaged. I have a bean to cup machine now and its great, its a Jura Ena 90 or something like that a compact one. needs a lot of maintenance bits, but usually good. its getting the right cost effective beans now.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #698 on: October 16, 2021, 11:03:40 am »
Looking at getting one of the delonghi bean to cup machines to replace my Nespresso machine, anyone used one have any recommendations?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #699 on: October 16, 2021, 11:05:59 am »
Looking at getting one of the delonghi bean to cup machines to replace my Nespresso machine, anyone used one have any recommendations?

Had a delonghi magnifica for about 8 years. Good machine but does need cleaning out quite a lot

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #700 on: November 8, 2022, 04:30:07 pm »
So, ive been on a bit of a journey since, baby ivory has been modded, and subsequently replaced by a gaggia classic 2015, which was rubbish. i have since replaced that with gaggia baby class. which is back to ivory level coffee.

however, now i have just bought a Fracino Cherub 2008 model, and going to collect it tomorrow! well excited. its a heat exchange model, but it was sold as "spares or repair" so i hope it works!

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
Looking for a Coffee Machine
« Reply #701 on: December 1, 2022, 12:11:20 am »
So i'm looking for a good coffee machine for me and the mrs. We rarely drink espressos, our go to is always a Vanilla Latté.

I've been browsing online and have a friend who bought the Gaggia Classic a while ago and said it was good, however it is pricey (roughly £400).

Does anyone have this and if yes, is it worth it? Alternatively if you have a different machine that you recommend, please share!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Looking for a Coffee Machine
« Reply #702 on: December 1, 2022, 08:41:53 am »
So i'm looking for a good coffee machine for me and the mrs. We rarely drink espressos, our go to is always a Vanilla Latté.

I've been browsing online and have a friend who bought the Gaggia Classic a while ago and said it was good, however it is pricey (roughly £400).

Does anyone have this and if yes, is it worth it? Alternatively if you have a different machine that you recommend, please share!

I looked at loads and in the end went for the Gaggia Classic and it's great!

I am not a coffee connoisseur by any means, I'm not looking at modding it (very easy (temperature control, pressure amount)) or can taste the difference between certain beans, Cappuccino/Latte is Cappuccino/Latte to me :D  but honestly I finish every drink now with "F**k me that was nice!"

The only thing with the Gaggia I was told was to make sure I got a good grinder, I am not 100% sure if this makes a huge difference but in the end I blew a fair bit on a Niche Zero which basically doubled the price of the whole thing!!!!

I'd say get the Gaggia Classic (2019+ versions) and a cheap grinder and then if need be, upgrade the grinder.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: December 1, 2022, 09:06:45 am »

I have a Dolce Gusto, its fine, it cost about £30. Not sure why there is a massive price difference.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #704 on: December 1, 2022, 11:31:34 am »
I have a Gaggia Classic. It’s brilliant. Took me a while to get the hang of steaming the milk, but I can now make delicious coffee every time. It’s a lot of money, but if you can afford it and drink coffee every day then it’s a no brainer.

You can customise them too. I haven’t done this yet, as it already tastes good enough. I’m sort of tempted to start tinkering around though. If that appeals to you it could be an added bonus but it’s in no way essential despite what some say.

The most important part is the grind quality. I had a cheap grinder and it wasn’t doing it fine enough. Until I save up for a real nice one I just request the shop I get it from to grind it for me.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #705 on: December 1, 2022, 11:33:02 am »
How much did you pay for your grinder? I definitely need a top level one but as you say, the price is daunting.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #706 on: December 1, 2022, 11:41:54 am »
Went all in a few years ago and bought the Breville Barista express for obscene monies.

Thankfully two years later it does completely brilliant and everything works great on it. My wife has a coffee from it every day and thankfully its not one of these 'expensive things you buy' and it craps out 18 months later.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: December 1, 2022, 11:48:16 am »
How much did you pay for your grinder? I definitely need a top level one but as you say, the price is daunting.

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/products/niche-zero

I'm just not sure it's worth it if just drinking milk drinks. That might be my lack of taste :D but I just don't drink Espresso and I think that's all they are really used for

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: December 1, 2022, 10:14:07 pm »
https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/products/niche-zero

I'm just not sure it's worth it if just drinking milk drinks. That might be my lack of taste :D but I just don't drink Espresso and I think that's all they are really used for

The best domestic everyday grinder you can buy. Don't take my word for it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FzOY2tHyZ4w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FzOY2tHyZ4w</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #709 on: December 3, 2022, 01:05:50 am »
Thanks for the feedback gents.

Is this the good version or the rubbish one?

https://www.gaggiadirect.com/classic-range.html#!/Gaggia-Classic-2019-SB-SS-240V-Manual-Espresso-Coffee-Machine/p/125690126/category=113117063

Can get it for £379 using code 'COFBLCJ50'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: December 3, 2022, 08:33:22 am »
I think that's the same one I got (same discount) but that's the "modern" version which are good

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #711 on: December 3, 2022, 07:15:52 pm »
So at £379 would you guys say this is the best one out there purely for quality/price/difficulty? I'll mainly be making lattes

« Last Edit: December 3, 2022, 07:27:06 pm by Danny Singh »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: December 3, 2022, 09:37:51 pm »
Yes plus very moddable if you want to change pressure, alter the temperature etc, if unsure just have a loooooooooooooooooooooong look on youtube and get more confused :D that's what I did, in the end it seemed to be the best of the "cheap" ones

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #713 on: December 4, 2022, 01:10:13 pm »
So at £379 would you guys say this is the best one out there purely for quality/price/difficulty? I'll mainly be making lattes
I make cappuccinos and flat whites, so can’t help you specifically on the latte front. Can’t see why it wouldn’t be a good shout though. I can get the milk perfect pretty much every time.

It’s your money of course, and £379 is a lot. Do you drink coffee most days though? If you do you’ll get your moneys worth.

I found there to be a steep learning curve in terms of getting used to it. I was not making nice cups straight away. Milk in particular was a nightmare. Ask away in here if you have any questions when first using.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #714 on: December 5, 2022, 08:32:14 am »
Thanks guys.

Was about to pay and saw the £50 voucher code has expired!

Does anyone know if there are any other codes working?

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #715 on: December 5, 2022, 11:53:43 am »
I plumped for a Heat Exchanger machine, its bigger than the Gaggia Classic, but i managed to get a Fracino Cherub for £150. I feel that Gaggia Classic had a big movement and the prices got too high. I bought a 2015 classic and it was really really bad.

Is the 2019 Classic same as the 2009 baby? Or is it the same as the Gaggia Classic "pro"? Its a nicer looking machine with the rocker switches. but how is it with making two milky drinks back to back?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: December 5, 2022, 03:44:02 pm »
I plumped for a Heat Exchanger machine, its bigger than the Gaggia Classic, but i managed to get a Fracino Cherub for £150. I feel that Gaggia Classic had a big movement and the prices got too high. I bought a 2015 classic and it was really really bad.

Is the 2019 Classic same as the 2009 baby? Or is it the same as the Gaggia Classic "pro"? Its a nicer looking machine with the rocker switches. but how is it with making two milky drinks back to back?

The old Gaggia Classic? Everyone says they are crap and to avoid. Once they updated them they are great

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #717 on: December 5, 2022, 05:29:43 pm »
No, the 2019 version of the Gaggia Classic, the older ones pre-2009 are meant to be the ones to buy.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #718 on: December 6, 2022, 11:47:56 am »
Gaggia Classic is on the way and been made aware of buying a few extras to help improve the overall quality straight away.

What did you guys buy?

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #719 on: December 6, 2022, 12:15:00 pm »
Gaggia Classic is on the way and been made aware of buying a few extras to help improve the overall quality straight away.

What did you guys buy?

you'll need a grinder. if you dont, then start with Illy, the grind is perfect for beginners. some people like to get VST baskets. i dont know if the 2019 needs the Mr Shades spring mod, or needs an adjustment to an Over pressure valve, but you want to be adjusting the pressure to 9bar. The wand on that 2019 looks okay, so you dont need to upgrade it. get a new tamper.