Author Topic: Your favourite LFC goal of all time  (Read 41815 times)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: Your favourite LFC goal of all time
« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2022, 06:55:50 pm »
Or Mcallisters late one at Goodision, considering how far it travelled it was bound to slow down, but I don't think it was hit too hard to begin with!

First one I thought of, the sort of sneaky, creeping and crawling free kick that snuck over the line... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2022, 08:09:35 pm »
I wouldnt say he played it fair, today he would have had about 12 red cards in his career maybe more but it was an era where it was eat or be eaten

Funny thing about that clip, the clearance from the arsenal defender is pathetic, McMahon keeping it in when it would have been our throw seemed a bit mad or a bit headless chicken but it ended up brilliant

Yeah you’re probably right he wouldnt get away with the half of it now, but in that era he played it well.

I think that’s why that goal stuck out, it was a throw in if he let it go out of play, but the hunger to do what he did and to keep the attacking pressure on is what I loved about it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 08:35:52 pm by Johnny Aldridge »
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #442 on: September 26, 2022, 08:30:22 pm »
Or Mcallisters late one at Goodision, considering how far it travelled it was bound to slow down, but I don't think it was hit too hard to begin with!

Or John Barnes at Southampton in the ecru kit when Dave Beasant kicked him to him from out near the touchline and he side footed it back in from about 40 yards!

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
« Reply #443 on: September 26, 2022, 10:21:41 pm »
Alisson

Never celebrated a goal more.

Offline Haaaank

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #444 on: September 27, 2022, 09:56:49 am »
Robbie Fowler against Villa March 96 - cheeky little flick past the defender and scored from about 25 yards. Loved that goal and spent hours trying to recreate down the astro.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #445 on: September 27, 2022, 10:25:38 am »

So many to choose from, but for me it has to be Gerrard's missile against West Ham. It was pure Roy of the Rovers stuff and he'd already single handedly dragged us back into that game, was struggling with cramp, and West Ham had one hand on the cup. The fact that the stadium PA was announcing the added time just as he struck it only served to add to the drama. He had to hit that shot perfectly, at that angle, with that power, from 35 yards through a crowd of players. Its not just our best last minute goal, but probably the best cup final goal ever for any team.

The goal actually gets better every time I watch it, and it's just completely mental by any standards. I count at least 11 players in between him and the goal, excluding the keeper. The clock's ticking down, the west ham fans are whistling, he's miles out, running sideways onto a bouncing ball, and there's really only one place he can put it to save the cup final. He channels every last fibre of his body into that ball, and it was the goal that defined him as a player and a leader, and epitomised everything he did for us. That's what elevates it for me.

The other reason its so memorable for me is because I was at a friend's house (Spurs supporter), and he'd been winding me up all game as West Ham kept going ahead. I was pacing across his lounge as the clock counted down, and when Gerrard's equaliser hit the back of the net I completely lost it, and started jumping around screaming and swearing like a lunatic. So much so, I forgot his 2 year-old daughter was sat quietly playing in the corner and she burst into tears. It was about a year before she would say hello to me again  ;D
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2022, 12:08:03 pm »
summed up well, no exaggeration i wouldnt have wanted that ball to fall to anyone else in the world.

Not even Maradona, Pele, Messi or Ronaldo
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2022, 04:34:14 pm »
Well said. It’s an incredible goal in any game, at any time but when you throw in all the content around it, it’s very hard to beat it.

It’s why all those pricks from other teams used to laugh at Gerrard if and when they got an opportunity because they lived in fear he could do something like that to them at any given moment. Can his collection of long range stiles from open play be beaten?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2022, 04:36:38 pm »

^ some of those long range efforts from Gerrard...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cwYTuvEpj7g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cwYTuvEpj7g</a>

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2022, 04:45:58 pm »
Amazing. Thanks.

So many great ones that have become almost forgotten there. The early one v Southampton from 2001. Graz away. Villa at home a week or two before the 2006 Cup Final.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2022, 05:08:16 pm »
summed up well, no exaggeration i wouldnt have wanted that ball to fall to anyone else in the world.

Not even Maradona, Pele, Messi or Ronaldo

My West Ham mate said (as the stoppage time was announced, then as the ball was half cleared to Gerrard, then as the ball hit the back of the net..) he just went "Shit...shit...SHIT!!!"
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #451 on: September 27, 2022, 05:18:50 pm »
Just love Stevie G..absolutely one off LFC legend in my opinion. Imagine having the balls to hit that shot from such a distance again West Ham, so late in the game. If that flies wide, it's probably game over.

Incredible strike from an incredible man, shame he missed out on some massive, well earnt hugs from Klopp.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2022, 05:40:51 pm »
Just love Stevie G..absolutely one off LFC legend in my opinion. Imagine having the balls to hit that shot from such a distance again West Ham, so late in the game. If that flies wide, it's probably game over.

Incredible strike from an incredible man, shame he missed out on some massive, well earnt hugs from Klopp.

We had 4 minutes didn’t we? Bags of time!

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: September 27, 2022, 05:45:01 pm »
There was still a few mins yeah. West ham had a late free and I couldn't watch

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #454 on: September 27, 2022, 05:49:24 pm »
We had 4 minutes didn’t we? Bags of time!

Really, I always thought it was later than that, don't remember their late free kick either! Then again, I'm not one for revisiting games much (4-0 Barca the exception, because that just wasn't meant to happen!)
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: September 27, 2022, 05:55:49 pm »
Really, I always thought it was later than that, don't remember their late free kick either! Then again, I'm not one for revisiting games much (4-0 Barca the exception, because that just wasn't meant to happen!)
Yeah, if you watch it back it's announced over the tannoy just before Gerrard belts it.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #456 on: September 27, 2022, 06:17:25 pm »
^ some of those long range efforts from Gerrard...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cwYTuvEpj7g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cwYTuvEpj7g</a>
Superb compilation. 😲
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: September 27, 2022, 07:28:16 pm »
Gerrards against Inter was the one for me, I was on the Kop that evening, a really tense 1-0 at the time and it felt like we would still have a mountain to climb at the San Siro.

He takes the ball, plays one touch to his right to take it away from the defender, doesn't lift his head, just instinctively knows where the eye of the needle was and drills the ball low and hard. For a brief second he stands and watches it roll into the target like he's made a long putt on the green of Anfield. My favourite player.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2022, 01:10:59 am »
Gerrards against Inter was the one for me, I was on the Kop that evening, a really tense 1-0 at the time and it felt like we would still have a mountain to climb at the San Siro.

He takes the ball, plays one touch to his right to take it away from the defender, doesn't lift his head, just instinctively knows where the eye of the needle was and drills the ball low and hard. For a brief second he stands and watches it roll into the target like he's made a long putt on the green of Anfield. My favourite player.

What a brilliant and lovely description.

The technique in some of these outside-the-box goals marks this lad out as one of the best we've seen.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2022, 08:03:51 am »

nicely said

Yes indeed I like that analogy of a golfers putt, it was like a really long putt where the golfer knew exactly what he was doing and rolled it in

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: October 2, 2022, 12:34:00 am »
The one that sticks in my head is Allison‘s goal against West Brom. I was in fucking ecstasy it was so mad
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #461 on: December 5, 2023, 07:44:56 am »
- "Corner taken quickly"

- "Lovely cushion header"

:champ  :champ
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #462 on: December 5, 2023, 08:03:50 am »
Gerrard's goal against Olympiacos. I've never celebrated a goal more before or since including European and domestic finals.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: December 5, 2023, 09:47:15 am »
Kenny's in the European Cup Final where he hurdles the advertising boards after ☺️

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: December 5, 2023, 09:52:13 am »
The Gerrard 2006 Fa cup final goal for me. I'd have it in my top 5 greatest goals in history. To strike a football like that In the last minute of extra time to take a cup final to penalties is ridiculous

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: December 5, 2023, 09:54:53 am »
The Gerrard 2006 Fa cup final goal for me. I'd have it in my top 5 greatest goals in history. To strike a football like that In the last minute of extra time to take a cup final to penalties is ridiculous

It was the last minute of normal time to take the game to extra time.

Reina made a ridiculous save and tipped the ball onto the post late on in extra time to take it to pens.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #466 on: December 5, 2023, 11:22:44 am »
Gerrard's goal against Olympiacos. I've never celebrated a goal more before or since including European and domestic finals.

This, the first big goal of a Europen night that I'd witnessed in the flesh at Anfield. Some said afterwards our name was on the trophy from that point outwards, although I had my doubts at HT in Istanbul. Technically you could argue that Gerrard's goal vs Boro was technically better, as was Luis Garcia's vs Juventus in April 2005.

A great goal in a huge moment.

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #467 on: December 5, 2023, 11:23:59 am »
https://youtu.be/3j-zCBIOzl8
The best goal for me was the 7th goal which Terry McDermott scored when we lashed Spuds 7-0 back in 1978 , 3 passes from one end of the pitch to the other and a rare headed goal from Terry Mac
« Last Edit: December 5, 2023, 12:55:01 pm by Saltashscouse »
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺