Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 258719 times)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #2440 on: March 25, 2018, 10:00:25 pm »
Anyone use Mealime?  Looks like a brilliant app where you can organise meals for the week and it gives you the shopping list you need for all your meals too.

And free.

Started using this since you posted about it. Some delicious meals on it. Taken a few quid to gather all the utensils but have most things now so good food for the same price as the shite I normally eat.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2441 on: March 29, 2018, 09:01:54 am »
Android 9.0 has landed on my S8. Downloading now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:04:35 am by Chivasino »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2442 on: March 29, 2018, 09:06:58 am »
Android 9.0 has landed on my S8. Downloading now.

Downloaded it yesterday on my s8. Can't really notice that much difference. Except the default keyboard has a shortcut to emojis's and gifs etc

I did read the list of stuff they've added but it didn't seem like I'd make much use of any of it.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2443 on: April 6, 2018, 11:26:08 am »
Best media player app anyone? for tv shows/films/music all in one?

Have an S8....
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2444 on: April 6, 2018, 11:27:59 am »
Best media player app anyone? for tv shows/films/music all in one?

Have an S8....

VLC player

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2445 on: April 9, 2018, 03:03:49 pm »
Anyone else agitated by the fingerprint scanner on the S9? Its on the back near the camera, I preferred when it was on the front of the phone, but apart from that, phone is great

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2446 on: April 9, 2018, 04:46:17 pm »
Anyone else agitated by the fingerprint scanner on the S9? Its on the back near the camera, I preferred when it was on the front of the phone, but apart from that, phone is great

You'll get used to it. Bigger screen. 18:9 aspect ratio. The position is closer to the index finger whilst holding it. Far better placed than the S8 which was nearer to the camera

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #2447 on: April 9, 2018, 05:58:31 pm »
Anybody elses battery life gone to shit since the new software upgrade for the S8?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2448 on: April 9, 2018, 06:14:28 pm »
Anybody elses battery life gone to shit since the new software upgrade for the S8?

Not noticed anything drastically bad, but I got the 15 percent warning the other  day and I don't get that too often. It's hard to say though I might of done alot of browsing
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 06:16:09 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #2449 on: April 9, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »
Not noticed anything drastically bad, but I got the 15 percent warning the other  day and I don't get that too often. It's hard to say though I might of done alot of browsing

Just been noticing it recently. Usually when I get home from work it's on about 65-70%. This past week it's been on 35-40% and I haven't been using it any more than usual really.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #2450 on: April 9, 2018, 07:10:22 pm »
I haven't noticed any difference yet.

But I am really hating the data grab that Samsung are attempting with there latest T&C's.
They have included a "special terms" extension to their T&C's, and there's no way of proceeding without giving access to all your data for them to share to their partners. I don't even want to use their apps, but they are determined to mine my data anyway.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2451 on: April 9, 2018, 07:18:40 pm »
When you do an update (especially ones that go from one version of Android to another) it's usually best that you do a full factory reset

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #2452 on: April 9, 2018, 09:07:21 pm »
When you do an update (especially ones that go from one version of Android to another) it's usually best that you do a full factory reset
Well, that will definitely free up some space, but i'll have to save loads of stuff first.

I downgraded and disabled all samsung apps, and haven't seen the notification pop up since :)

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #2453 on: April 11, 2018, 08:52:35 am »
I'm just about to order a new phone and not to sure how to transfer apps from phone storage and memory card storage from the old phone to the new phone.

Any hints / tips would be gratefully received.

Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #2454 on: April 11, 2018, 10:37:53 am »
Got my S9+ on Monday, after a couple days use I finally had to recharge it, inclusive of all the app downloads and updates and stuff, it is LIGHTNING quick and the screen and camera are unreal, took a bit of getting used to slide from bottom to use the home and back keys etc as I had an S7 before but it is awesome, really impressed with it :)

Recommended. Also not as big as you'd think.

I'm just about to order a new phone and not to sure how to transfer apps from phone storage and memory card storage from the old phone to the new phone.

Your apps should be tied to your account (Google Account) so they should re-download automatically onto your new phone boss.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #2455 on: April 11, 2018, 03:17:36 pm »
Your apps should be tied to your account (Google Account) so they should re-download automatically onto your new phone boss.
does that included all the data associated with the apps? What about those that I've been able to save to my memory card. Can these be re-installed on the new phone from the memory card?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2456 on: April 11, 2018, 05:08:34 pm »

Just download the Smart Switch app and transfer via your usb or wifi. Takes no time at all.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #2457 on: April 11, 2018, 06:46:17 pm »
Just download the Smart Switch app and transfer via your usb or wifi. Takes no time at all.
Thanks for that. Will give it a go. Assume you download smart switch to the new phone and then turn Wi-Fi on for both phones and the magic happens?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2458 on: April 13, 2018, 09:13:12 am »
Got my S9+ on Monday, after a couple days use I finally had to recharge it, inclusive of all the app downloads and updates and stuff, it is LIGHTNING quick and the screen and camera are unreal, took a bit of getting used to slide from bottom to use the home and back keys etc as I had an S7 before but it is awesome, really impressed with it :)

Recommended. Also not as big as you'd think.

You should be able to lock the navigation bar at the bottom of you would prefer to have it there rather than slide it up all the time. Should be a dot on the left. If you double tap it, the navigation bar should stay.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #2459 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:08 am »
You should be able to lock the navigation bar at the bottom of you would prefer to have it there rather than slide it up all the time. Should be a dot on the left. If you double tap it, the navigation bar should stay.

Thank you, saw that, I do enjoy seeing the whole screen now I've gotten used to it so have remained with the slider for now but yeah, what a bloody great phone.

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #2460 on: April 14, 2018, 12:08:40 am »
Thanks for that. Will give it a go. Assume you download smart switch to the new phone and then turn Wi-Fi on for both phones and the magic happens?
Download Smart Switch on both phones and follow the on screen instructions :)

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #2461 on: April 14, 2018, 01:49:41 am »
Download Smart Switch on both phones and follow the on screen instructions :)
Cheers for that. I've downloaded it, but it appears to be for just Samsung's, I've currently got a HTC and looking to get a Nokia
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2462 on: April 16, 2018, 08:53:14 pm »
Bubble level pro is currently free in the play store,it is usually Ł1.99
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2463 on: April 20, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
Any thoughts on alternatives to the Pixel 2? I was all ready to buy it sim free a few weeks ago at Ł519 for the 128gb version but was just waiting for first pay in new job - as that happens price shoots back up to 630 for the 64gb version. I don't really understand the price change as it was down that low for so long at carphone warehouse but there you go. I really don't want a phone that's much bigger than that so all the flagship samsungs, oneplus, huwaei IMO are too big for me
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2464 on: May 6, 2018, 08:22:55 am »
I recently did an up grade on software and all my settings changed. Samsung s8
My notification settings are not the same and I can't get them back as they keep changing.
For example I've up ticked the message notification button , but after a short while it ticks it self and motivational appear on screen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #2465 on: May 9, 2018, 03:25:13 pm »
I'm running 8.1 on a Nokia 8. Does anybody know where the profile settings are?

I can find the 'do not disturb' option but this doesn't allow the phone to vibrate when set to 'do not disturb'.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2466 on: May 11, 2018, 09:28:45 am »
Doing a little bit of research it seems that BT Sports app won't work after a recent update - I'm not sure if this is the BT Sports APP (the logo has changed on my phone) or Google Play Services.   When I try to access BT Sports app it gives me this message

BT Sport won't run until you update Google Play Services <UPDATE> - so i hit update and it takes me to the Google Play Services in Google Store

However there is no option to UPDATE only DEACTIVATE - so i tried that and get this message

This app is a device administrator and must be deactivated before uninstalling <OK> - so i click OK and nothing happens.

Any ideas/any others with this issue; my phone contract has BT Sports included and i'm loathed to be paying for something i can't get.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2467 on: August 3, 2018, 01:22:54 am »
Going to become one of these a-holes with 2 phones  ;D

Just bought a Moto G6 on Project Fi, cos I am sick of the crap coverage where I live, and with this, I can get good coverage as it switches between various networks.  Plus I don't actually phone and text a massive amount, so cost wise, this is about as good as it gets, $20 per month plus data as you use, and data in pretty much every country without roaming chargers. 

But I can't and won't give up my Oneplus 5T :P  I can use that when i am in the UK anyway, as it has my EE sim in there, plus I love the screen on it, so will continue to use over wifi for watching Netflix etc.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Android Upgrade
« Reply #2468 on: February 8, 2019, 04:40:40 pm »
I think I've delayed this a few times, but my Samsung S9 has upgraded Android overnight.

The whole look has changed (as well as some of the ways it operates) but I can get used to that.

My main issue is that ever since, my battery seems to be running down at a crazy rate - around 15-20% an hour with what I'd deem my normal use (which, up to today, I'd say chewed through on average 6-7%/hour)

The battery is shite anyway (around 9 months from new), but this is crazy; it won't be able to last through even a work day.

Has anyone else had a recent Android 'upgrade' and experienced such a loss of battery performance?

And do any of you know whether it could be related to the upgrade, or is it just coincidence and my phone is buggered?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Android Upgrade
« Reply #2471 on: February 8, 2019, 11:24:46 pm »
Not battery related but I updated my s8 on Wednesday night and I couldn't phone or text afterwards, the whole system was laggy as fuck as well. Phoned up Vodafone and they downloaded something to it and it worked from then on. Maybe they can do similar for yours.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2472 on: February 9, 2019, 07:21:31 am »
Yeah I've had a similar issue. Samsung s8 here but I did an update about a month or so back and the battery just started to drain like crazy. Granted the phone is about 18 months old but the whole issue seemed to be Kickstarted around this update i had

Anyway I backed all my shit up and reset to factory and it did help a bit, but then I had another update the other day and the same thing has started to happen.

It's even more annoying when you turn off battery draining stuff like higher res, adaptive wifi etc

I'm going Huawei later in the year.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2019, 07:26:41 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2473 on: February 9, 2019, 11:59:31 am »
Can confirm same thing has happened on every Samsung phone I've owned. Moved to Huawei for past 3 phones. Not looked back. Every issue I find better battery life

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #2474 on: February 9, 2019, 08:34:56 pm »
Install LineageOS https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/starlte is my recommendation, those are the instructions for your S9. Had the same issue on a different phone but it removes all the preinstalled crap and along with Greenify took my battery from about 4 hours to a day - runs a lot faster as well.

LineageOS is updated constantly so you'll always be fully up to date on security.

Backup first and read the instructions a few times to make sure you have everything down.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2475 on: February 9, 2019, 08:49:00 pm »
Can confirm same thing has happened on every Samsung phone I've owned. Moved to Huawei for past 3 phones. Not looked back. Every issue I find better battery life

Surprising given how much battery all that Chinese spying malware must take up on your phone  ;)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2476 on: February 10, 2019, 02:14:14 pm »
My next phone may be the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3... Can't stand notches, holes in the display etc.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_3-review-1876.php

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2477 on: February 10, 2019, 03:52:56 pm »
Just read a bit about the S10 that's coming out later this month. Can see it's still the same old stuff, nothing new or groundbreaking. Will stick to my S7 Edge for another year I guess.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2478 on: February 10, 2019, 04:25:32 pm »
Just read a bit about the S10 that's coming out later this month. Can see it's still the same old stuff, nothing new or groundbreaking. Will stick to my S7 Edge for another year I guess.

Why I want it:

Headphone jack
Removable storage

I love those features! But as above, probably going Xiaomi.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2479 on: March 16, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »
Is there a way to uninstall an update on a galaxy s8? My phone has just updated and its fucking horrible