Author Topic: Today's shooting - The Sandy Hook Memorial Thread - Thoughts and Prayers  (Read 530139 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is a fair comment, their brain size issues is far more of a problem

I had shitty comments on here in the past about must have a small penis because I used to own firearms. Our club was a friendly place and our members were drawn from scientists, authors, IT, GP's, surgeons, Industrial chemists, teachers etc etc. An interest in weapons doesn't mean you are suffering in the kecks department nor have issues.

That first article seems to be predominantly bothsidesism (with a bit of "everyone's racist" thrown in). Gun control legislation would obviously help reduce gun violence, both mass-shooting and that on a smaller scale, and faces overwhelmingly more Republican opposition than Democrat. Sure, have the likes of "intensive city-level support programs for the men and boys most at risk of being shot or becoming shooters, hospital-based violence intervention programs, or even more effective policing strategies" as well but the latter isn't going to make as much of a dent as control legislation.

I did look into the figures for Chicago and Baltimore a couple of years ago, those cities run at about 1 to 2 fatal shootings per day, as in murders not suicides. You can either spend billions on a fruitless exercise to remove legal weapons and have zero impact on the deaths or you can invest those billions in improving the lives of the people most affected by the violence, education, leadership from people they look up to, housing, jobs, mental health help while trying to get the illegal firearms off the street.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I had shitty comments on here in the past about must have a small penis because I used to own firearms. Our club was a friendly place and our members were drawn from scientists, authors, IT, GP's, surgeons, Industrial chemists, teachers etc etc. An interest in weapons doesn't mean you are suffering in the kecks department nor have issues.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
That first article seems to be predominantly bothsidesism (with a bit of "everyone's racist" thrown in). Gun control legislation would obviously help reduce gun violence, both mass-shooting and that on a smaller scale, and faces overwhelmingly more Republican opposition than Democrat. Sure, have the likes of "intensive city-level support programs for the men and boys most at risk of being shot or becoming shooters, hospital-based violence intervention programs, or even more effective policing strategies" as well but the latter isn't going to make as much of a dent as control legislation.

Is that really the case though? I mean I think it is madness that Americans are allowed to walk around with all sorts of high-powered assault rifles etc.

But are the vast majority of the killings in the US caused by assault rifles, which seems to be at the crux of most debates surrounding gun legislation?? That seems to be an issue concerned primarily with these types of mass shootings. Granted, that is still certainly an issue that needs addressing. But it is the issue that is pushed to the front-and-centre of gun control debates when it is actually a side issue concerning the scale of gun deaths in America.

Obviously the other important gun control issue is greater checks when actually purchasing the things. Having gun aisles in Walmart, or gun fairs or whatever, is clearly madness. And you are right, this probably would have some kind of knock on effect in the communities where most of the killings in the US are done with firearms that are not purchased legally - but that are most likely purchased legally somewhere down the line

And yes the article did have a bit of "everyones a racist", but I think their overwhelming point, and one that I think does hold some weight, is that the gun control debate in the US is primarily centred around these mass shooting events, while the vast majority of gun murders pass under the radar, because they happen in the communities where many are happy to ignore it as the natural order of things. The ghetto is the ghetto and all that. Debates concerning banning assault rifles and free-for-all gun fairs are side issues in the communities where the vast bulk of people fall victim to gun crime.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
Is a fair comment, their brain size issues is far more of a problem
No it's not, it's the availability of gun's.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
No it's not, it's the availability of gun's.

Indeed

Doesn't matter how stupid someone is, if they haven't got guns they they find it tricky to shoot people with them.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
Indeed

Doesn't matter how stupid someone is, if they haven't got guns they they find it tricky to shoot people with them.
They only got a gun to protect their 5 children, of course they had to get rid of it...
Spoiler
To protect their 4 children  ;)
[close]

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan

I did look into the figures for Chicago and Baltimore a couple of years ago, those cities run at about 1 to 2 fatal shootings per day, as in murders not suicides. You can either spend billions on a fruitless exercise to remove legal weapons and have zero impact on the deaths or you can invest those billions in improving the lives of the people most affected by the violence, education, leadership from people they look up to, housing, jobs, mental health help while trying to get the illegal firearms off the street.

All those illegal guns started out as legal guns. That’s the problem. Restricting gun ownership will absolutely cut down on illegal weapons. As long as you have more guns than people, scant regulations on storing them and few checks, you’ll have illegal weapons.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
As four people -one of them a child- were killed in another mass shooting at an office complex in Orange, California last night, I'll be waiting for the mental gymnastics the gun nuts will try to explain this. Let's see, among some of the classics we can expect:

• Now if just one of the other people was carrying a gun, they would have stopped this.
  • Guns don't kill people, people do.
  • Mass shootings represent a tiny 0.2% percent of all shootings in the US.
  • Something, something our founding fathers something, something.
  • Shooter was an incel/Muslim/mentally deranged/had a hard day.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
The disgusting dishonesty in reporting. That's the annoying thing; to paint an alternate picture as Chakan said, made to ensure absolutely anything is the problem but the 500 million guns circulating the US right now.

Bellend O'Reilly last week said "Over in the UK they don't have mass shootings because their government takes the guns off their citizens, can't have 'em, so if a burglar comes into your house or an intruder, then the government says well tough. Their government likes to control things. Same with health; we have private health care here in the US, in the UK, you don't have a choice, you get told which doctor you'll see and what hospital to go to and you get placed on a waiting list."

Perhaps Billo would look into this thing called "Police" we have here, that tend to look into matters relating to burglaries and crime rather than leave it up to the citizens, and when it comes to health, he might also be surprised to see we also have this thing called private health, where shockingly you can have a choice of both either going with the NHS or paying for your own treatment.

Appalling distortion of truth.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
Ex NFL player Phillip Adams apparently killed 5 in South Carolina (his doctor, doctors wife, grandchildren, and a man who was at the doctors home) and then killed himself

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/08/south-carolina-shooting-victims-suspect-found?
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
Ex NFL player Phillip Adams apparently killed 5 in South Carolina (his doctor, doctors wife, grandchildren, and a man who was at the doctors home) and then killed himself

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/08/south-carolina-shooting-victims-suspect-found?
I wonder if they'll check him for CTE?

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
I wonder if they'll check him for CTE?

I hope so, but ....this happened in the same offseason that the NFL, richest sports league in the world by most estimates, has already rammed through an extra regular season game, so that the rich can get richer and the stiffs playing the game can get a bit more fucked.  Every day it seems the trap tightens a bit more on what it means long term to play American football
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I hope so, but ....this happened in the same offseason that the NFL, richest sports league in the world by most estimates, has already rammed through an extra regular season game, so that the rich can get richer and the stiffs playing the game can get a bit more fucked.  Every day it seems the trap tightens a bit more on what it means long term to play American football
Not sure the NFL recognise CTE?
A really good Will Smith film based on Dr Bennet Omalu who first diagnosed people with CTE called concussion.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
A 9 year old and a 5 year old were killed. Fuck sake :(
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
He must have been having a bad day, you know how it is
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He must have been having a bad day, you know how it is
Ex American pro footballer. If he had something like CTE he was probably going mad. He killed his Dr and family, which to me is a clue that he was suffering a madness brought on by brain damage and took it out on his Dr and his family.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Knoxville, Tennessee - Multiple agencies are on the scene of a shooting at Austin-East Magnet High School. Multiple gunshot victims reported, including a KPD officer. The investigation remains active at this time. Please avoid the area
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Knoxville, Tennessee - Multiple agencies are on the scene of a shooting at Austin-East Magnet High School. Multiple gunshot victims reported, including a KPD officer. The investigation remains active at this time. Please avoid the area

If only there was two good guys with a gun?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI

If only the KDP officer had a gun. Damnit where are these good people with guns to stop these bad people with guns, they're never in the right place when you need them.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
Apparently something has happened in a Fedex facility in Indianapolis. Multiple dead including the automatic weapon wielding gunman  :butt
Believer

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
^ yes. Just saw that on breaking news, the reporter said the fella had a machine gun !!

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
8 people dead, not sure if that includes shooter.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
8 people dead, not sure if that includes shooter.

The police spokeswoman on CNN said it doesn't include the shooter. He's the 9th.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
It'll never end in that country.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers

Oh..I was about to ask if I could join if it was a pre-requisite

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Oh..I was about to ask if I could join if it was a pre-requisite

Let’s just say, I’ve never been a member of a gun club.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
^ yes. Just saw that on breaking news, the reporter said the fella had a machine gun !!
There can be no justification for any private citizen owning a machine gun or an automatic / semi-automatic weapon of any kind.  This kind of event is becoming an even more regular occurrence now, so much so that one often just shrugs one's shoulders and hardly bats an eyelid any more!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
It'll never end in that country.

I've always thought that it'll only end if a gun convention got targeted, or the NRA itself.

But who am I'm kidding, if anything - it'll go into overdrive.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
To end the culls your need to end the cult
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
I've always thought that it'll only end if a gun convention got targeted, or the NRA itself.

But who am I'm kidding, if anything - it'll go into overdrive.

It'd have to be pro-gun politicians getting targeted, if one got taken out by a clear amateur but they couldn't find the shooter due to the absurd gun laws around record of ownership I imagine some of the others would start to change their tune.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan

;D

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
It'd have to be pro-gun politicians getting targeted, if one got taken out by a clear amateur but they couldn't find the shooter due to the absurd gun laws around record of ownership I imagine some of the others would start to change their tune.

Didn't some guy take shots at GOP congressmen at a softball game a few years ago? But he didn't kill anyone and was shot dead by the secret service so that probably just strengthened their "good guy with a gun" convictions (because everyone can afford elite personal security, and if they can't it's because they don't work hard enough).

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
:lmao
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Didn't some guy take shots at GOP congressmen at a softball game a few years ago? But he didn't kill anyone and was shot dead by the secret service so that probably just strengthened their "good guy with a gun" convictions (because everyone can afford elite personal security, and if they can't it's because they don't work hard enough).
Was about to post this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_baseball_shooting

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/james-hodgkinson-shooting-republicans-baseball-game

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/steve-scalise-congress-shot-alexandria-virginia.html

You are talking about an adult being shot. School children were shot in 2012 and nothing was done. School mass shootings are a regular theme. Do you genuinely think that the mere shooting of an adult is going to change the tune? Also, this.. When Mike Pence attended the NRA convention in 2018, guns were banned from within the function.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/dallas/article210126019.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/01/607054795/nra-bans-guns-during-convention-speech-by-president-vice-president
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:59:09 am by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Another pimply faced teen misfit wastes 8 lives with an automatic weapon.

I read that in Canada, you can't buy a gun without your spouse's approval.
Kill the humourless

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Another pimply faced teen misfit wastes 8 lives with an automatic weapon.

I read that in Canada, you can't buy a gun without your spouse's approval.

Pimply faced teens usually don't have a spouse. Most of these killers probably don't either.

I don think the Canadian thing if true is a very good thing. Especially for limiting domestic violence.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
 Teens shouldn't be allowed to buy automatic weapons.

I'd suspect some spouses might disagree with you.
Kill the humourless

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
I don think the Canadian thing if true is a very good thing. Especially for limiting domestic violence.

Are you suggesting that guns in the home make abused spouses safer? Without looking up the stats, I can guarantee that the abused is more likely, by orders of magnitude, to be a victim of gun homicide than a perpetrator. It doesn't even pass the pub test - how does a DV victim access a safely-stored firearm during an assault? How does the victim maintain the weapon without the abuser's knowledge, given what we know about the psychological aspects of DV? I could go on, but I may have misunderstood your point and would just be arguing with myself. :D

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Are you suggesting that guns in the home make abused spouses safer? Without looking up the stats, I can guarantee that the abused is more likely, by orders of magnitude, to be a victim of gun homicide than a perpetrator. It doesn't even pass the pub test - how does a DV victim access a safely-stored firearm during an assault? How does the victim maintain the weapon without the abuser's knowledge, given what we know about the psychological aspects of DV? I could go on, but I may have misunderstood your point and would just be arguing with myself. :D

I rather understood it in the sense that a possibly abused spouse could stop the other one from getting a (legal) weapon. Not sure it would be helpful in a big way, because I would imagine if you're in an abusive relationship the dominant partner would be able to pressure the other one into letting them have a gun. It might help in situations though, where a spouse just thinks that their partner is too volatile to have a weapon and that might limit the amoung of damage they can do if they really snap one day. Not sure though if that would really work in real life...

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Teens shouldn't be allowed to buy automatic weapons.

I'd suspect some spouses might disagree with you.
The pimply teen in question was reported to the police by his mother, and they interviewed him and took away his shotgun because she feared he was seeking death by cop. He simply went out and bought two AR 15s
Nuts
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."