Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 314782 times)

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2015, 11:57:25 am »
Let's start the best club side collaboration

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2015, 07:10:25 pm »
Taken from the 3rd round of voting in the latest draft-

Just home. Well, that was a bit of a surprisingly close vote to say the least! I'm not going to lie, after walking over Gervindh's side, I fully expected an easy qualification. Anyway. I promised myself that whatever the outcome in my game I'd bring this up....

I think it's long time we talked seriously about trying something a bit different in the polling for these drafts. In the sense of actually having draft 'votes' which reflect the hard work we all put into the building and drafting of our sides. As well as RAWK itself, a forum that prides itself on great analysis and thoughtful opinion. Instead, right now all we have are 'ghost town' vote threads where most posters are too scared to voice an opinion for fear that they might be voted against for it in their next match up. We've all seen the correlation between AWWUC and his 'banter' levels - some of the results against his side in this draft already have been quite odd to be honest. Even the ill-fated 'Dream Team' suffered from this at some level.

I think I have to put my hands up and admit that I've also thrown oil on the fire with the creation of the hall of frame thread, most particularly the leaderboards. Essentially stirring up too much competition to win drafts - and rise up the rankings - rather than just enjoy them.

We all LOVE the building phase. It's why we do these drafts. The voting is only a bonus in many ways. But when you start getting some very odd results like the ones already seen in this draft and ALL of Katie's matches then it's time to think about trying something different. Personally, I'd like to experiment with an open in-thread vote which encourages discussion rather than beats it down.

My two cents.

(vote for Betty)

Great post Betts, I agree with you. The voting in this draft has been extremely odd. Looking at the results in your group in particular, they make absolutely no sense as AWWUC also pointed out after round 2. I'd like to think that people aren't voting based on their own team's interests but using an anonymous voting process inevitably leaves the door to that possibility open.

I like the idea of the in-thread vote. You probably wouldn't get anywhere near as many voters but I'd take 5 well reasoned inthread votes over 20 anonymous ones any day. It would lead to discussion which is sorely missed in these threads. Currently, it feels like once the teams have been picked, we simply go through the motions (voting) until the next draft pops up. We all agree that the selection process is the best part of a draft and a lot of thought goes into it - it's a shame not to put those thoughts out there during the voting phase. I'd also like to see write-ups make a comeback for the same reason - explaining why you've picked each player should be encouraged, not frowned upon.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2015, 07:12:20 pm »
Thanks Katie and great points Betty

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2015, 07:12:56 pm »
1: Make poll
2: Poll maker sets poll to making 99 votes per user
3: Poll maker instantly locks poll
4: Poll maker awaits for pm's from other draft participants explaining who people want to vote for, and a small sentence explaining why
5: Poll maker then unlocks the poll, and makes the vote themselves on behalf of the other participants (given they've 99 votes) and posts peoples pm's in the thread explaining their votes
6: Poll maker instantly locks poll again
7: Repeat

Is this possible?? I think it is
Anywhich why don't you run the next draft with these suggestions? All nice and above board like

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:34 pm »
My view is this...

The votes are a bit of a joke as has been discussed in pretty much every draft in the last year and nicely summarised by Betty.

I think for every fixture, each participating drafter writes a short summary of how they see their tie going, arguing for why they think their team would win.

We then have a discussion thread for the tie open for a set period of time (24 hrs?  Or until a convenient round-number time?).  Anyone can comment on the fixture and drafters can debate and counter-argue for their team etc.  Hopefully this can also include some light-heartedness.

After the debate, a panel of judges decide the winner based on the discussion that's been had and explain their decision.  If the panel is three people, that would be ideal.  They can discuss through a pm conversation and have a split vote if necessary.  Every Rawkite can try to influence the panel in the discussion thread so all views will be considered.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2015, 07:29:19 pm »
Ain't nobody have the time to do all that. 

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2015, 07:42:12 pm »
Ain't nobody have the time to do all that.
To do what?  My suggestion or Katie's?

My suggestion won't take very much time at all.  Just a brief paragraph about the match.  The time for the debate is just there to allow for views to be aired.  Even if no debate happens, it doesn't matter.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2015, 07:45:12 pm »
Lots of great posts on the subject. I'm already enjoying the renewed discussion in these threads  :D

I like the idea of the in-thread vote. You probably wouldn't get anywhere near as many voters but I'd take 5 well reasoned inthread votes over 20 anonymous ones any day. It would lead to discussion which is sorely missed in these threads. Currently, it feels like once the teams have been picked, we simply go through the motions (voting) until the next draft pops up. We all agree that the selection process is the best part of a draft and a lot of thought goes into it - it's a shame not to put those thoughts out there during the voting phase. I'd also like to see write-ups make a comeback for the same reason - explaining why you've picked each player should be encouraged, not frowned upon.

I completely agree here. 'Going through the motions' is the perfect description for it. I'd love to see the the vote threads buzz in the way that the discussion thread does throughout the team building stages. I think it's fairly evident now that it's not just a small few that are losing faith in the 'system' and at the very least we should do an experimental in-thread vote for our next draft.

Betty, I agree with you in that I'd like to see what thought process goes behind each vote. To be honest with you, my gripe here was the game against your side. I really did not expect to receive the pasting that I did. It looks like we all have issues with the current voting system.

I agree, mate. A thrashing was far too much. The whole of our group's results made no sense though.

Mine and Prateek's side thrashed yours, who then thrashed Ankit, who then beat AWWUC's side, who then (pretty much) drew with yours and beat my side, which then drew with Ankit's  :rollseyes  I don't even know what I just said.

Folks are bored with football draft's now. Like i said we've explored every single type of draft there is in terms of football ones.

I think this is a fair view as well and is exactly why trying something a bit different in the voting round might freshen things up for us all. I think that through all these countless football drafts we've all picked up a great deal of knowledge over the years and it would be great to see us put that into action. I think it's especially necessary as we're now seeing the same players dominate drafts over and over, and the same (older) players overlooked. Poor old Paco Gento might even get a first round pick one of these days!

1: Make poll
2: Poll maker sets poll to making 99 votes per user
3: Poll maker instantly locks poll
4: Poll maker awaits for pm's from other draft participants explaining who people want to vote for, and a small sentence explaining why
5: Poll maker then unlocks the poll, and makes the vote themselves on behalf of the other participants (given they've 99 votes) and posts peoples pm's in the thread explaining their votes
6: Poll maker instantly locks poll again
7: Repeat

Is this possible?? I think it is

This is a great idea  :thumbup  I just don't know how to make point 2 possible. I've set up a fair few polls on here and never noticed that option!?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:00 pm »
This is a great idea  :thumbup  I just don't know how to make point 2 possible. I've set up a fair few polls on here and never noticed that option!?
In the poll option, where it says maximum votes per user, you put a number in the little box beside it? You can actually put the mumber 9999 in that box.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2015, 07:58:22 pm »
Actully maybe it's not possible due to what could happen when you submit your votes the first time

Offline prateekmalhota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:35 pm »
Some great points being made in here.

I also feel that people chipping in with their views will keep the drafters involved in some fashion once the building stage is complete. We, as participants, are constantly over-estimating or under-estimating our sides, and as things stand, there is no place for feedback in the system. I believe this also goes some way into 'going through the motions' attitude. Once we are done with the initial drafting stage, the participants lose interest as there is nothing to do that directly affects the teams performance.

If there were more discussions and analysis involved, participants would have a chance to assess their performance, and maybe have some scope for improving/tweaking their sides. I also believe that we could design drafts that would provide more such opportunities to the drafters.
For instance, the draft at hand, the Domino Draft, is bound to keep its participants interested because they get to improve their sides when they progress. This draft does this through a strategic element, which is one way of achieving interest. We could make simple alterations like allowing more than 11 picks in snake drafts (say 13 or 15) so that the drafters build a squad of players which they could use to alter their sides to achieve greater balance, match the opposition in certain of the pitch, and what not. All this would be possible if there is more discussion in the threads. In-thread votes would add a lot more flavour to the draft experience, and the fun/engagement won't be restricted to the building stage.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:52 pm »
In the poll option, where it says maximum votes per user, you put a number in the little box beside it? You can actually put the mumber 9999 in that box.
Actully maybe it's not possible due to what could happen when you submit your votes the first time

Yes, unfortunately I think that's just a way of voting for multiple teams in one thread. Once you submit your vote then that's that and it will only ever count as one vote.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2015, 08:16:16 pm »
Yes, unfortunately I think that's just a way of voting for multiple teams in one thread. Once you submit your vote then that's that and it will only ever count as one vote.
hmmm........you could always

1: Make the poll
2: Lock the voting but people could still post who they're voting for and why in that thread
3: Total up the votes in the thread and then the poll starter can unlock the voting near the end of the time limit and make that one deciding vote in each match up in favour of who has the most in thread post votes.
For example if Anywhich has 10 people saying they'd vote for him, and Crosby has 11, the poll starter would vote in favour of Crosby giving him the win

Probably a lot easier too
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:18:06 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline prateekmalhota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:14 pm »

2: Lock the voting but people could still post who they're voting for and why in that thread
3: Total up the votes in the thread and then the poll starter can unlock the voting near the end of the time limit and make that one deciding vote in each match up in favour of who has the most in thread post votes.
For example if Anywhich has 10 people saying they'd vote for him, and Crosby has 11, the poll starter would vote in favour of Crosby giving him the win

If we are to have in-thread voting, why do we need to have polls? We can have a moderator who'll just total up the votes and then update the standings with the results.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:44 pm »
If we are to have in-thread voting, why do we need to have polls? We can have a moderator who'll just total up the votes and then update the standings with the results.

Mods don't like to get involved with the drafting. Best leave them be.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2015, 08:22:59 pm »
Yeah, possibly. It's handy for record purposes though. And it's easier to see who the winner ended up being in poll format at the top of the page
Yeah, that too

Offline prateekmalhota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »

;D

By a moderator, I meant someone who moderates the draft. Like Nicholls did for the Domino Draft. We could even do it round by round. Nicholls wasn't available yesterday, HoinkDoink was. So he takes up the moderating role for that round of fixtures, sets up the threads, and does the results after 24 hours. Just as we do it now. Instead of having a poll, run a thread where people come in, share their thoughts about who will win and at the end of the 24 hours, the moderator can update the standings with the results.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2015, 08:25:50 pm »
;D

By a moderator, I meant someone who moderates the draft. Like Nicholls did for the Domino Draft. We could even do it round by round. Nicholls wasn't available yesterday, HoinkDoink was. So he takes up the moderating role for that round of fixtures, sets up the threads, and does the results after 24 hours. Just as we do it now. Instead of having a poll, run a thread where people come in, share their thoughts about who will win and at the end of the 24 hours, the moderator can update the standings with the results.

Oh right, yeah that can be easily done :P

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:57 pm »
Let me mod. ME! ME! PICK ME!

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »
I think a trusted panel of judges is a better idea than in thread votes.  It'll stop people from holding grudges.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:34 pm »
I think a trusted panel of judges is a better idea than in thread votes.  It'll stop people from holding grudges.

You can trust me. Honestly.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2015, 08:46:07 pm »
i don't hold grudges. I'm a teddy bear.  :'(

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2015, 09:48:07 pm »

This is a great idea. Like you say, it's good to be able to have a 'poll starter' to make it clear who wins each match up.

There's no reason why we can't try out both ways. Whatever the next draft is we should just try something different and see what happens.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:05 pm »
My 5 of Club's draft is on the table. The sequel to the smash hit 4 of Club's.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2015, 09:54:34 pm »
My 5 of Club's draft is on the table. The sequel to the smash hit 4 of Club's.
What's this?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »
What's this?

My 4 of Club's draft. Did you not participate?

It had Liverpool, AC Milan,Bayern and Barcelona and any player who played for them was eligible.   All teams had to be included in your team.

5 of Clubs would have same rules but the clubs would be different.

Real Madrid
Man United
Juventus
Inter Milan
Ajax

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:10 pm »
My 4 of Club's draft. Did you not participate?

It had Liverpool, AC Milan,Bayern and Barcelona and any player who played for them was eligible.   All teams had to be included in your team.

5 of Clubs would have same rules but the clubs would be different.

Real Madrid
Man United
Juventus
Inter Milan
Ajax
Phew.  Badger Cull is available.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:47 pm »
Think I missed that four of clubs one. Seems good.

YAY I can pick Facchetti.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:36 pm »
Then it's settled we'll do  the 5 of Clubs Draft with the new voting changes suggested.  Put your name down if interested.

5 of Club's Draft.

It's simple pick any players that have played for these 5 clubs.  Only club form for said club's will be counted

Only one rule:

All 5 teams must be represented in your final XI.

Real Madrid
Man United
Juventus
Inter Milan
Ajax

Katie Price
Samie
Nicholls
LFC4LIFE
Betty Blue
KingLuis10
Popcorn
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:15:36 pm by Samie »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:46 pm »
Count me in. I'll give it one last go with the new voting.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2015, 10:36:37 pm »
IN  8)

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2015, 10:39:30 pm »
In.
@LFC4LIFENET

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:27 pm »
Oh what the hell, I'll play   :D

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #273 on: January 26, 2015, 10:59:09 pm »
Will it be a sheep format or a snake format?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2015, 11:00:11 pm »
Will it be a sheep format or a snake format?

Ze snake.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2015, 11:02:35 pm »
In  :wave

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2015, 11:13:45 pm »
Snake is awkward for me time wise at the moment but fuck it, I'm in anyway.. I may be relying on pm's a bit though.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:30 pm »
Utd greats wont hold much weight round here. Waste of time having them

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:29 pm »
Are you in or not ?

Everyone will have to pick a manc anyway.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:39:04 pm by Samie »

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »
Utd greats wont hold much weight round here. Waste of time having them

I think that's part of the point in including them! Every team will have to field a United player and so we'll all have to weigh up which of their players is the least manc.  :D