Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar #11 Michael Owen (2nd) v Arsenal FA Cup 2001  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
I've sat here at my keyboard and written and scrubbed and written and deleted and written and binned so many times now. My 'favourite' goal? They're all my favourite. The most innocuous of deflections in, the biggest of moments. I've seen Riise blast the net, I've seen Tommy Smith head where he shouldn't have been, I've seen Fowler chip, Pongolle volley and Souness obliterate and they all are my favourites.
One of the lovely things about this series is the fact that most goals are not trophy winning moments of glory, rather, personal memories of days past when for one fleeting moment, all was well.

Well, mine after much much deliberation, is almost as old ago as the whisky I'm drinking. Because after much deliberation, when I sit back and think about all the goals I've seen, what gives me still a shiver, a smile, a lift, even to this day is Owen's 2nd v Arsenal in the FA Cup. Its not because with that we won the cup, its because by all rights we should have never won it in the first place and that sheer drive, momentum that we had that season, kind of said "Hello, we're back".

As you know, I'm not so interested in facts as much as feelings, but watching back the replay of the game, Arsenal had about 576 shots on goal, with 532 of them cleared off the line by a)Sami's foot, b) Sami's head, c) Henchoz's hands.

And they swarmed over us. A team that had Fowler on the bench, Gary Mac in attack midfield and Paddy Berger in a mustard yellow and black shirt that reminds me of Sander Westerveld for some reason.

No matter. I love this goal purely because it was the sheer, utter, clean and wonderful expression of joy that is footy played in your head as a kid. You nick the ball off the overwhelmingly more likely opponents and weave your way down the pitch in a matter of seconds, and I mean seconds, and boot it past the goalie, letting your momentum take you to the adoring fans going berserk.

You ask anyone and most fans will say the joy of a 92nd minute last gasp winner is far higher than winning 8-0. Well we were down and out, Ljungberg was playing, Henry was playing, our central defence were playing (netball) and we, in the Cardiff sun, were playing against a team who pinged the ball around for a laugh.

But to the goal, as I said, its not that we won the cup with it, its that I remember watching the match and being, as usual, horrifically nervous. There is a mathematical theory that states, the higher the stakes, the bigger the churn and I was churning like a milkmaid on incentive bonus on butter week.

Owen's first goal involved Marcus Babbel, and was a rush and kick in the penalty area, but boy whilst we still liked Michael, could he play. He booted it in the net like Fowler in his pomp. Fair do's, one all. But again and again came Arsenal, scurrying majestically down the pitch towards us.

Then this happened:
At 87'42, Arsenal have a free kick. Just inside our half, booting the ball toward our penalty area. Ten seconds later, and it is ten mere seconds later, the ball is in the Arsenal net.

Kanu fucks up his 'tentative' kick at the ball. Paddy Berger takes the ball and passes it upfield. Way up field. Where two of England's finest defenders, Lee Dixon and Tony Adams, old school defenders who thrive on killing small strikers, are placed.

And quite simply on that hot afternoon, in Wales, Michael Owen runs between them, out paces the pair and puts it in the net. Past Seaman and into history. Out. of. nowhere.

My god. I went bananas. It happened so fast that you rose from your seat as Owen headed to the ball and by the time your hopes and heart had soared in the hope of something happening, it had happened. He'd scored and the ground went nuts. I get goosebumps watching it now. With his left foot. In the only place he could score.
For someone who went to a lot of games at the time, listen to the names jumping around Owen, celebrating with him:
Babbel,, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Berger who'd come on as a sub, Fowler, a 12 yr old Gerrard, Emile bless him, you name it. Those players. And there is a lovely cutaway to Gerard Houllier who looks just happy and sunny and well. With Danny Murphy and Smicer behind him.

It makes me happy. It makes me smile. It lifts me. That moment. No great build up. No great tactical organisation. A real kids boot it, chase it, place it goal. Just wonderful.

In that moment, never mind Owen's buggering off to lesser teams like Real Madrid, never mind what was to come or had been; in that moment we all shared in a common moment of delight. Of happiness and shoutingoutfuckyouArsenewithyourgentlemanlyfootballwefuckingloveCardiffMichaelOwenwonthecuphappydaysladsfuckthesouth gut feeling. All is well.

I love that goal.

Obligatory you tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ9d4iTEgV0
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar #11 Michael Owen (2nd) v Arsenal FA Cup 2001
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:58:21 pm »
Here's mine for today, not as eloquent as others have written but to this day, its utterly clear in my mind and it still makes me smile, Lord knows we need that just now! Hope you enjoy.
Yep.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:11:57 am »
God what a match that was. I went berserk after that goal. That cup treble was boss too.
Seen us win everything

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:12:50 am »
A superb choice. We'd taken a technical hiding that day also.

From the moment the ball left Berger's foot with that world class pass Owen had no right to score did he. It was too optimistic to hope for given, as you say the 3 players he had to beat.

I loved that, anything from that year brings wonderful memories - my lad experiencing Liverpool win a cup (or 5) for the first time in his life, then going on the Anfield Tour with him and getting our photo taken with that cup which Michael Owen gifted to us (and the 4 other cups)  - great days.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 12:37:38 am »
Love it! I watched this in Sydney meaning a midnight kick off so was fairly Pissed by the time the match started. One small tv was slightly ahead of the others but we tried to ignore it. When Ljungberg scored I heard the cheers before it went in.

Michael Owen though. I know we ridicule him now but my word, those goals were something else! I wasn't used to watching games so late. I was pretty battered by kick off, after drinking through the nerves I was even worse by half time. If I'm honest, the rest is just a blur!

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 02:25:23 am »
Love it! I watched this in Sydney meaning a midnight kick off so was fairly Pissed by the time the match started. One small tv was slightly ahead of the others but we tried to ignore it. When Ljungberg scored I heard the cheers before it went in.

Michael Owen though. I know we ridicule him now but my word, those goals were something else! I wasn't used to watching games so late. I was pretty battered by kick off, after drinking through the nerves I was even worse by half time. If I'm honest, the rest is just a blur!
Loved those Owen cup goals, especially the one against the mancs in the league cup final.
Seen us win everything

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:31:55 am »
It still feels like it was just yesterday!!

I remember it being really warm that day too.  Arsenal battered us, and Ljungberg could have had 3 goals before he actually opened the scoring.

When they scored, I simply couldn't see a way back for us, but Owen snapped in a half-volley and I was just delighted to be heading towards extra time.

Then Paddy Berger played Owen in with a ball down the left.  He still had 2 defenders to try to beat, but all of a sudden he was shrugging them both off and hitting it with his left foot.  It couldn't have been more precise. 

How we won that game, I still don't know.  But we did.  I felt exhausted...

4 days later, we beat Alaves after extra time in the UEFA Cup Final with a Golden Goal...   

What a season that was!!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:23:05 am »
that was some season.

and a smash and grab if ever there was one.

quite frankly anyone who comes into this thread to slag Owen off can do one. what he did on this day far outweighed the negatives.

He really was world class and he ended up european footballer of the year by the end of the calender year. he really lifted us above the shite. we should have been 6-0 down by the time Ljungberg scored. Sander Westerveld kept us in it and Sami Hyypia cleared the ball off the line 3 times but at 1-1 there was only going to be one winner.

I loved that away shirt that season, we went on some run at the end of the season and i was afraid to wash it, wasnt just that but there was hardly 3 days between matches then. Would it get washed in time to wear it? by the time of the cup final i must have worn that jersey about 15 games in a row without it being washed.

Long story short but that night i went out and got mouldy drunk. At 4am i got home and i remember thinking around 420 sky will show the goals, about 410 i reckon i fell asleep. i woke up still on the couch at 11 still in the jersey. I fired into the wash hoping it would be nice and clean for the Alaves game on wednesday. Wednesday afternoon it was still in the wash basket.

you can imagine how it smelt having not been washed for weeks and after a sweaty sunny boozy sleepy hungover saturday-sunday. and now lying in a linen basket for about 3 days.
"dad i havent had this washed in ages, it stinks after saturday"
"that is the smell of success"

with that it went on for the alaves game. i wanted to wear it on the saturday against charlton but i was at a wedding. i was seriously thinking of wearing it under my shirt and suit.

I still have that jersey at home. It has HYYPIA 12 on the back, his first squad number with us

good times
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:14:28 am »
He's still a judas... but I loved that cup win  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline simo71

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:23:55 am »
What a day. Michael Owen at his best. The look on Tony Adams face when he releases that ball is going in. Amazing.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 03:31:48 pm »
My idol as a youngster. Says it all I think :)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 04:41:02 pm »
What a goal. No way he should've scored really. It's for things like that that I genuinely still have a soft spot for Michael Owen. I can't help it, he was a key part of the first successful Liverpool side I properly remember. He's obviously tarnished his reputation somewhat(to say the least!) but he was responsible for a hell of a lot of joyous moments at the time.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 06:04:02 pm »
It's for things like that that I genuinely still have a soft spot for Michael Owen.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that reminisced fondly about the sod after this thread  ;D

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 07:13:30 pm »
i think we need to mention the wonderful undetected Goalkeeping display by Henchoz as well, 

as for Owen wonderful for us then,  shame what followed, but awful commentator now.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 07:59:33 pm »
We stole that game. Loved it. Can still recall how I was in this big crowd at the pub. Arsenal fans thought it was over and done. And quite frankly, they should have wrapped the game up many times. Then came Owen and turned everything upside down. Was great and so unexpected.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:22 pm »
Ah! This thread is sunshine on a rainy day....I had already prepared my 'The best team won speech' in my head for Arsenal...when Owen done his Gerd Muller impression on latching onto a free ball in the box from the corner....the second...well its there in  with my all time top ten goals...moments ....I cant say off my head what the other 9 are...but Owens second is there....in part for the goal...but if Im honest mostly for the orgasmic explosion that followed....In the chaos that followed many people fell forward ...after the initial celebration I realised I'd ended up in the row behind me!!.....but I think the best is when our kid pointed out a few days later he'd seen the goal from a different TV angle...and it shows a row behind the goal with a load of fellas with a dead fit girl in the middle....when the goal is scored there is lots of grabbing, hugging and kissing....meanwhile the girl just celebrated on her own. ;D

On the way home I leant out of the car window and bawled to a load of Arsenal fans " That's for fucking Charlie George!!" The pain of the 10 year old FlashingBlade at last put to rest.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 09:54:37 pm »
Brilliant mate, was one of Owen best moments for us for sure.

Ah! This thread is sunshine on a rainy day...

Now you mention it, wasn't it unbelievably hot that day as well? Or am I misremembering it and it was just really sunny? That's one of the things that sticks out from that day, aside from competely Arsenal dominating us.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 09:59:34 pm »
Watching it in Sydney was great, as we know from last pre season we are loved down there. At the bar afterwards a couple of Gooners were moaning about being outnumbered about 50 to one and one had a sly dig about no one having even been to Liverpool.

You needed ID to get in to places back then so without saying a word I smugly showed them my passport showing my place of birth.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh (Partridge reference!).

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »
On the way home I leant out of the car window and bawled to a load of Arsenal fans " That's for fucking Charlie George!!" The pain of the 10 year old FlashingBlade at last put to rest.

ha ha ;D
Yep.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 08:04:42 am »
It sure was hazell. An absolute scorcher in Cardiff

I watched it where I'm from in Ireland. Was equally as hot. We had the blinds down in the pub just so we could see the telly.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 08:06:51 am »

brilliant

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 08:08:50 am »

brilliant

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 08:50:43 am »
I watched this game in a pub in South London with my younger brother who lived there at the time. We went berserk when this went in, and we were met by a stony silence. We left shortly afterwards.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 09:23:49 am »
I watched this game in a pub in South London with my younger brother who lived there at the time. We went berserk when this went in, and we were met by a stony silence. We left shortly afterwards.

At least it was a late winner! The only equivalent I have to that was watching the 2005 Chelsea semi in a pub in Wimbledon with my brother. When Garcia scored (3 minutes?) we went mental, soon to notice we were the only ones in the busy pub cheering. Was quite hard to be discreet for the next couple of hours! :D

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 10:12:16 am »
I just remember going bananas.  We were terrible for most of the game, from memory anyway can't say I've watched the whole game back properly.

I remember the Henchoz handballs and the heartbreak when Arsenal went ahead as I didn't think we had it in us to get a goal back.

But fucking hell, when Owen was through and struck it, it felt like the ball trickled into the corner for hours.  No way was it going in.

Then bedlam.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:59 am »
At least it was a late winner! The only equivalent I have to that was watching the 2005 Chelsea semi in a pub in Wimbledon with my brother. When Garcia scored (3 minutes?) we went mental, soon to notice we were the only ones in the busy pub cheering. Was quite hard to be discreet for the next couple of hours! :D

Pair of fannies. You should have tried being in the lower Bullens home section when Kenny scored after 16 seconds.   ;D

Fantastic Hinesy! Although this has got nothing to do with what happened after he left, I could never take to Owen like I did to the likes of Robbie, Stevie and Carra. They were The Beatles and he was Westlife; even from a precocious kid he cared more about his PR image. Supported him when he played, loved his goals, but I just didn't like him.  This goal amongst many others made me forget that I thought he was a little turd for just a few euphoric moments. A bit like when I was on my vinegar strokes as an 18 year old lothario and got that sense of zen peace and elation, just before the nagging realisation that it wasn't Elle Macpherson I'd just charmed the G-string off in the Netley.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 07:10:15 pm »
Marvellous memories.   I still can't credit that it was so quick.  An ordinary pass forward, but Owen's on to it and away like a guided missile (or Winged Pegasus if you prefer).   Heading at the speed of light towards two infamous knuckledraggers.

I remember rising from my seat and the thought briefly crossed my mind that he would be killed - crushed to death - because they seemed so big and he was only a little fella.  And when he shot between the pair of them I felt my jaw drop at the sheer impossibility of the thing.  I must have resembled a cod on a fishmongers slab.  And when he banged it in.  Christ.  Delirium.  Everybody piled together in one glorious hugging, kissing, yelling mass.

And so I'll always have a warm place in my heart for the little bugger.

Thank you for a terrific piece Mr Scrooge.   :-*
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »
I was just sobering up at that point, in the ground.

I won the shorts drinking contest before the match - never again.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 07:51:39 pm »
Me mate drove down , three of us in his car , with promise of hitting town when we got home if he drove.....I recall looking out of the window at the welsh mountains through a 'Studio kinda cloudy 'haze as the can and bottles rolled around in his car...stoned...immaculate...bliss as the sun set ......we wern't so immaculate as he kicked us out of the car when we got home too wrecked to go out at 9:30pm....never forgiven us for that...but man, the vibes in the car!