Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 126645 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2015, 07:28:27 pm »
Actually got home from work to find a leaflet through the door from Sky. 50% off everything for 12 months. So you could try that Claire?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #282 on: March 29, 2015, 04:07:34 am »
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 31, 2015, 08:03:51 am »
Seen that 50% off, will be phoning Virgin later to see what they say! If they can match it, we're sorted. I'd rather stay with virgin for the broadband anyway cos it says it's fibre but I'm not totally convinced we'd be able to get that round here.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 31, 2015, 08:44:07 am »
Moving into a new house next week (hopefully) and Virgin looks the most competitive deal.

Looking at going for the Big Kahuna deal at £33 a month for the first 12 months then £49 a month for the remaining year.

A quick question to those with Virgin - what's the "on demand" stuff like? We use it quite a lot on Sky, for example we've recently been plowing through The West Wing. Do Virgin have a good catalogue of On Demand content?

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
Moving into a new house next week (hopefully) and Virgin looks the most competitive deal.

Looking at going for the Big Kahuna deal at £33 a month for the first 12 months then £49 a month for the remaining year.

A quick question to those with Virgin - what's the "on demand" stuff like? We use it quite a lot on Sky, for example we've recently been plowing through The West Wing. Do Virgin have a good catalogue of On Demand content?
It's not great. There's no 'big hitters' there but there's a lot of content which if you like a specific genre i.e. Scandinavian, Sci-Fi etc. It's getting better as a lot more channels are offering On Demand services (BBC, ITV, 40d, Sky 1, National Geo, National History, Sky Living) amongst others.

Obviously with Virgin there's the Netflix app so if you've got an account with them then you'll be able to stream the well known shows on there. Sky have all the box sets though so they're still in a position of power over Virgin.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #286 on: April 1, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »
Shit, i've just had a thought.... Can't I watch the new Game of Thrones series on Virgin?

Online Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #287 on: April 1, 2015, 04:13:57 pm »
Doesn't look like Virgin have Sky Atlantic

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: April 1, 2015, 05:19:59 pm »
Nah, no sky atlantic on virgin media. Good broadband, though ;)

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #289 on: April 1, 2015, 08:13:17 pm »
Suppose I'll have to download it, probably for the best anyway as I won't have all the adverts!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: April 1, 2015, 08:20:11 pm »
I pay around 90-95 quid per month for broadband, phone and TV package. Still think that's too much.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: April 1, 2015, 08:23:32 pm »
I pay around 90-95 quid per month for broadband, phone and TV package. Still think that's too much.

Sure is. My bill was coming in at around 70 for tvxl, bb and phone. Scrapped it recently to lowest Tv package for the bedroom, kept the bb, and got a satellite box for £60, and full sky subscription for a year for £15

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: April 1, 2015, 08:27:08 pm »
Sure is. My bill was coming in at around 70 for tvxl, bb and phone. Scrapped it recently to lowest Tv package for the bedroom, kept the bb, and got a satellite box for £60, and full sky subscription for a year for £15
Will more than likely move to sky once this contract expires. Parents pay around 55 quid for their package which includes movies and sports, phone and broadband. They have been with sky for years though.

Online Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #293 on: April 1, 2015, 10:03:50 pm »
Will more than likely move to sky once this contract expires. Parents pay around 55 quid for their package which includes movies and sports, phone and broadband. They have been with sky for years though.

Really?  Ive been with Sky for years and I'm paying £89 for everything excluding movies

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: April 2, 2015, 10:18:26 am »
Really?  Ive been with Sky for years and I'm paying £89 for everything excluding movies
Yep called them on family's behalf. Phone is free evening / weekends.

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: April 8, 2015, 03:55:10 pm »
Took the plunge and ordered Virgin. Went with their "self installation" option - they only need to post the Tivo and router boxes to me and I plug them in and go. TWO WEEKS WAIT!

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: April 10, 2015, 02:18:40 am »
Being with any company for years is a no. That's why they call themselves Providers. Big clue there as to how we are regarded. You are on their not necessary to listen to list, youu are juust money in the bank.
You could change, but it could be a waste of time, lists are shared.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:30 pm »
Just moved house and been reminded about the 'refer a friend' offer (£50 credit each) - if anybody's about to sign up, give us a shout :wave

(On a not entirely unrelated note, is the mingebag thread still going ;D)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2015, 01:05:20 pm »
My contract with them is due to run out in a few weeks so I reckon I am in a decent position for some haggling.

Presently I am on TV XL (so I get BT Sport free), Sky Sports, Internet and basic phone line, and a TIVO box. That comes in at around £80 per month, but they sting me for not paying direct debit.

Obviously the footy channels can go in a few weeks until the new season starts, so hopefully looking to get a good deal.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #299 on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:08 pm »
Looking at changing to Virgin from Sky.  £79.99 all in including fibre and Movies,  this is for 12months - then £99. Had a quick chat with them and they reckon they'll install sockets etc anywhere in our house free as it's never been set up for Virgin which is good as sockets for router and where we want them etc are in completely different rooms.

Currently paying £91.00 for sky (no movies) and pretty shit broadband

Online Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2015, 09:21:24 pm »
Just moved house and been reminded about the 'refer a friend' offer (£50 credit each) - if anybody's about to sign up, give us a shout :wave

(On a not entirely unrelated note, is the mingebag thread still going ;D)

Might give you a shout on that - i'll PM you as soon as i know

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:50 am »
A week in with Virgin now after being a Sky customer for the past seven years.

Have to say that the Tivo box is incredibly clunky and unintuitive to use in comparison to the Sky box.

Clicking between On-Demand and the TV Guide is almost instant on the Sky Box but the Tivo makes me wait for a few seconds whilst it loads. It's infuriating and not something I'm used to having to put up with.

Also, is there no way to download the On-Demand content for watching later rather than being forced to live stream it? On Sky I'd often trawl through the On-Demand content, bulk download it and then it'd be sitting on my planner waiting to be watched. With Virgin it seems to be either stream it or nothing.

Online Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #302 on: April 28, 2015, 11:09:26 pm »
Sounds shite that, although given the issues with my sky box and the software download that screwed it back in October its taken nearly 2 days to download the peter Kay series and a couple of others as the box keeps crashing. Crashed 3 times in 30mins tonight. Theyre rolling out a new software update but fuck knows if it'll do any good.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:10 am »
A week in with Virgin now after being a Sky customer for the past seven years.

Have to say that the Tivo box is incredibly clunky and unintuitive to use in comparison to the Sky box.

Clicking between On-Demand and the TV Guide is almost instant on the Sky Box but the Tivo makes me wait for a few seconds whilst it loads. It's infuriating and not something I'm used to having to put up with.

Also, is there no way to download the On-Demand content for watching later rather than being forced to live stream it? On Sky I'd often trawl through the On-Demand content, bulk download it and then it'd be sitting on my planner waiting to be watched. With Virgin it seems to be either stream it or nothing.

The Guide and other elements of the User Interface definitely feels more 'DIY' that Sky's slick setup but I've not encountered any particular issues thus far.

Might give you a shout on that - i'll PM you as soon as i know

Excellent - just give me a shout if and when  :thumbup

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »
I'm moving into my own flat with my girlfriend in a month - don't want a TV package as we will use Sky go from our PS4 and hook it up to the TV in the lounge. Any recommendations to the best/most value for money internet provider out there?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:32:38 pm by John C »
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2015, 09:14:29 am »
I'm thinking about finally taking up VM's offer to supercharge my internet speeds. Not wanting a Superhub was one of the reasons why I haven't yet done it. If I were to do it now, does anybody know which version of the superhub I would be given?

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »
Superhub 2 ac version.

Only thing I've found it is shit at is handling AirPlay.

I've put it in modem mode and connected this router - it's working great now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1/277-6652834-6364414?ie=UTF8&qid=1434718437&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+router

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #307 on: July 7, 2015, 11:07:44 am »
I'm moving into my own flat with my girlfriend in a month - don't want a TV package as we will use Sky go from our PS4 and hook it up to the TV in the lounge. Any recommendations to the best/most value for money internet provider out there?

Late to the party I know. But if you are moving in with your girlfriend, it's probably a BIG mistake to think of it being your flat. Think of it now as a shared space, where she gets to choose the curtains , fluffy cushions and everything else. Including which pictures of Steven Gerrard you have to take down :)

(smiley faces all round before a mod bans me)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #308 on: July 20, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »
I've just come to the end of my 18 month contract with VM. Think it was £25 for 6 months now paying £38 since they increased it a few months ago.

I'm just on line rental and 30mb BB.

Feel like I'm paying over the odds. Can I get a better deal?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: July 20, 2015, 02:55:26 pm »
Going up three quid again, means I'm now paying 110 plus for sports and kids channels plus bb and line rental

Surely must be a cheaper option....

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #310 on: July 20, 2015, 11:11:41 pm »
Going up three quid again, means I'm now paying 110 plus for sports and kids channels plus bb and line rental

Surely must be a cheaper option....

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=268203.0

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2015, 06:58:54 am »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=268203.0

I know mate, I've got a couple or posts on that first page but I thought it sounded a bit complex at the time, thanks for bringing it to my attention again though, my be worth me investing a bit more time into reading about it though as current prices are ridiculous .

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2015, 07:50:00 am »
Nowhere near as complicated as some would lead you to believe mate. Just a case of buying a box for either sat or cable, buying a sub and away you go.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: July 24, 2015, 09:29:12 am »
I phoned them up a couple of weeks ago and negotiated a better deal, although its still a fucking rip, but the confirmation letter didn't resemble what I agreed on the phone. I've wasted half an hour twice trying to get through to the fuckers, you can't email them so I've wrote back to complain.
Waiting to see what the twats have to say.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: July 28, 2015, 10:17:10 pm »
I know mate, I've got a couple or posts on that first page but I thought it sounded a bit complex at the time, thanks for bringing it to my attention again though, my be worth me investing a bit more time into reading about it though as current prices are ridiculous .

I found the most complicated thing about setting it up was choosing a box. Must have spent about 6 months picking a box, and 1 evening setting it up. Should have took no more than an hour tops, but I made it way more complicated than it should have been.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: August 8, 2015, 09:23:49 pm »
I phoned them up a couple of weeks ago and negotiated a better deal, although its still a fucking rip, but the confirmation letter didn't resemble what I agreed on the phone. I've wasted half an hour twice trying to get through to the fuckers, you can't email them so I've wrote back to complain.
Waiting to see what the twats have to say.
Well, the stupid twats replied and acknowledged their error but still quoted £8 higher than we'd agree. I tried to call 3, lengthy times, without getting through, their online chat was "unavailable" twice yesterday and you can't email them. So I'm communicating with them by Royal Mail.

Virgin media on sustainability - "We believe in digital for good. It means using our digital knowhow, talented staff and our brand magic to make positive change happen - find out more about all that we're up to".

I've fucking shit them, got to be one of the worse companies for customer services on the planet.

Offline reddawn

• Main Stander
« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2015, 01:08:40 pm »
I'm on Virgin and always cancel Sky Sports when the season finishes to get it back on again at season start (I only watch the footie)
I'm looking at £110 for the total package (cable/phone/broadband) or £80 (can't remember exact figure) without Sky Sports.

Will Sky Sports cost them same now they lost Champions League ? Because if it does that will be the final nail in the coffin and
the first time in 15 odd years I won't be subscribing.

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2015, 03:12:52 pm »
Cost the same? Everyone's prices have gone up  ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #318 on: January 8, 2016, 01:55:15 pm »
Anyone else just get offered the free speed upgrade?  I'm on 60MB and it's apparently going up to 150MB.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:39 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with cancelling all pay channels at the end of the season?  What I mean is, keeping the broadband, phone line, virgin box and access to Freeview channels (inc. HD ones) but cancelling Sky, BT and all the other crap they throw in.  What kind of price does that bring it down to and are there any issues with adding all the HD sports channels again when the season starts again?

My aim here is to save a few quid during the summer months and then (hopefully) get a better deal when the football starts again.