The Liverpool FC Forum > Technology and Science

Charging Samsung phone with laptop charger

(1/2) > >>

stoz:
So, my Samsung mobile uses the USB-C cable. I've forgotten to bring my phone charger to work today, but my work laptop charger is also USB-C.

That won't charge my phone, however it does charge my colleagues Samsung.

Is there anything I need to set on my phone to allow mine to be charged at all?

Thanks in advance

ChaChaMooMoo:
Same phone model?
Usually laptop USB-C chargers are 65W or more.
Your phone should allow for that much power.

stoz:
Not sure on the model of his, but mine is an A52s, and the other one looked similar.

Yep, spot on, the laptop charger is indeed 65w.

ChaChaMooMoo:

--- Quote from: stoz on June 24, 2024, 04:41:30 pm ---Not sure on the model of his, but mine is an A52s, and the other one looked similar.

Yep, spot on, the laptop charger is indeed 65w.

--- End quote ---

Sometimes phones are locked by their battery management to allow for a "higher" wattage of charging.
Samsungs are limited to 25W or 30W unless its told to override them in the settings menu.
Maybe your colleague enabled it and you didnt.
It should be technically be safe. Modern chargers and phones can handle that.
But in the worst case scenario, its not impossible that something fries up in the phone. So I wouldnt look to charge the phone with a laptop charger.

But its probably solved now. I have a cable in my car, and a cable at work that I got from a second hand shop at 1.5 a piece. Both of them connect to the USB-C. Even if its just 30 mins of charge, I get about 3 hours of usage. You could also try something like that.

Elmo!:
In theory, all USB-C chargers should negotiate with the device to check what it can provide and what the device can handle. If for any reason it can't negotiate it falls back to a very low wattage.

Unfortunately that relies on the manufacturers implementing the standards properly and it doesn't always work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version