Author Topic: England’s Cricketing Summer 2019 - West Indies/Pakistan & The Ashes  (Read 223291 times)

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Re: England’s Cricketing Summer 2019 - West Indies/Pakistan & The Ashes
« Reply #5680 on: September 15, 2019, 06:21:32 pm »
Nice comment on BBC...

"Posted at 18:1618:16
Post update
You know that thing where people who don't like cricket criticise the sport because it can go on so long and still end in a draw.

Well, draws are great.

Tied World Cup final, decided on boundaries after a tied super over. Drawn Ashes.

Endless moments of spectacular sporting drama. What a summer."
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5681 on: September 15, 2019, 06:23:01 pm »
TMS just reported that this was the first drawn Ashes series since 1972. ‘Fraid to say I remember that one since my dad took me as a nipper to Leeds to see a day’s play - the first Test I ever saw.

Absolutely bloody weird that there’ve been no drawn series since.

I loved this series even though the batting, bar one player, was not good enough. Bloody exciting at times. Long Live Test Cricket.

Summer’s over now.....although I still have one fixture left.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5683 on: September 15, 2019, 06:35:00 pm »
Won't miss Botham but getting rid of Gower is a shocking decision I think.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5684 on: September 15, 2019, 06:35:59 pm »
Won't miss Botham but getting rid of Gower is a shocking decision I think.

agreed. and seems to be the general view.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #5685 on: September 15, 2019, 06:39:43 pm »
Well played England. Decent summer overall, just a shame we came up against a freak run machine.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5686 on: September 15, 2019, 06:41:23 pm »
Will be funny to hear all those Aussie (and India) fans who talked about England “drawing” the World Cup final and claiming the trophy ought to be shared now going on about Australia “winning” The Ashes. 

Good win for England.  There are still plenty of question marks and problems, but as I said a week or so ago, England’s problems aren’t any bigger than any other sides at the moment.  Anyone can beat, or lose to, almost any other side. The Test Championship might be fun.

Shame not to have got the urn back, but we probably didn’t quite deserve it.  But for rain and bad light at Lord’s who knows though?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5687 on: September 15, 2019, 06:49:55 pm »
Will be funny to hear all those Aussie (and India) fans who talked about England “drawing” the World Cup final and claiming the trophy ought to be shared now going on about Australia “winning” The Ashes. 

Good win for England.  There are still plenty of question marks and problems, but as I said a week or so ago, England’s problems aren’t any bigger than any other sides at the moment.  Anyone can beat, or lose to, almost any other side. The Test Championship might be fun.

Shame not to have got the urn back, but we probably didn’t quite deserve it.  But for rain and bad light at Lord’s who knows though?

Who’s ahead on the boundary count?

Good point though, everyone knew the rules in advance. No problems with the Aussies retaining them. Amazing that’s the first drawn series in 40 odd years. I suppose there haven’t been that many tight series in that time, I wonder how many have still been live going into the final Test.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5688 on: September 15, 2019, 06:58:30 pm »

Good point though, everyone knew the rules in advance. No problems with the Aussies retaining them. Amazing that’s the first drawn series in 40 odd years. I suppose there haven’t been that many tight series in that time, I wonder how many have still been live going into the final Test.

2009 is the only one I can remember since 1997 (when I can start remembering series)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5689 on: September 15, 2019, 07:01:54 pm »
2009 is the only one I can remember since 1997 (when I can start remembering series)

We were actually in the same position as Australia in 10/11, won the 4th Test to retain the Ashes and go 2-1 up with one to play. We could have lost the last Test and drawn the series but felt like we had all the momentum.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5690 on: September 15, 2019, 07:22:09 pm »
Gower looks gutted to be let go. Will be missed

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5691 on: September 15, 2019, 07:25:46 pm »
diabolical decision to get rid of gower when he clearly doesn't want to go.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5692 on: September 15, 2019, 07:31:35 pm »
I saw England beat Australia!!!

Woo hoo
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5693 on: September 15, 2019, 07:32:07 pm »
diabolical decision to get rid of gower when he clearly doesn't want to go.
He’s become boring in my opinion.... not surprised
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #5694 on: September 15, 2019, 07:33:18 pm »
Bbc 4. East Lancs cricket and the West Indies. On now.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #5695 on: September 15, 2019, 07:33:54 pm »
2005, 2-1 England going to the Oval.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5696 on: September 15, 2019, 07:40:14 pm »
We played with 10 men in the first game, were stopped from a win in the second by the weather.

The aussies lost smith for a game of course, but I think England have had a touch of bad luck this series
W

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5697 on: September 15, 2019, 07:43:24 pm »
He’s become boring in my opinion.... not surprised

I agree, I don't mind him as a studio host but as a commentator he just talks endlessly.
Get the feeling he doesn't want to go but that Botham was quite happy to.

I just hope they don't replace Gower with Ward.

EDIT - Just read they may be pushing Rob Key further forward, I really hope not!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:53:00 pm by Frank Becton »
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5698 on: September 15, 2019, 07:47:39 pm »
A very enjoyable series, Aussies were the better side but had England had a fit Anderson and the rain not spoilt the Lord's test we may even have nicked it.

Burns and Denly have shown they deserve another chance, Archer has been inspirational, Board excellent, Stokes a genius on occasions.
Bairstow a major negative. Buttler got better as the series went on but still disappointing. Leach showed character and guts , but needs to improve as a bowler.
Root hasn't been flawless but still our best available captain.

Anyway a great series and a great summer - enjoyed all the banter on here, well done to everyone who has contributed.  ;D
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5699 on: September 15, 2019, 07:57:48 pm »
A lot don't feel the same and I get that but I'm gutted both of them are going. From my first memories of cricket in the mid to late 90s Gower and Botham have been commentating and presenting, this is a bit of a passing of the torch moment but it's sad that two of the people I associated with cricket coverage for over 20 years are now going. It was the same with Blowers leaving TMS last year and when Richie Benaud commentated in England for the last time as well.

What a summer of cricket though eh? It's been absolutely brilliant from start to finish. The highs of the World Cup, Ben Stokes, Jofra Archer, Jack Leach at Lord's against Ireland and Headingley against Australia, Ben Stokes (he deserves to be mentioned twice), Stuart Broad bowling better than ever and all the lows that eventually make it worthwhile. Remember, Australia only retained the Ashes because rain saved them at Lord's ;)

This team will go through a lot of changes over the next year or so and we'll have to bear that in mind as they do go through but it's been an absolute pleasure to watch and I'm a bit gutted that it's all over.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5700 on: September 15, 2019, 07:59:23 pm »

Smith.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5701 on: September 15, 2019, 08:06:31 pm »
We were actually in the same position as Australia in 10/11, won the 4th Test to retain the Ashes and go 2-1 up with one to play. We could have lost the last Test and drawn the series but felt like we had all the momentum.

Australia lost a third Test by an innings at Sydney, earning that team the headline of "Worst Australian XI of all time". That Sydney Test featured a clown of a legspinner - shite bowler, fuck ugly batsman who somehow kept getting bat on ball despite moving all around the crease.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5702 on: September 15, 2019, 08:07:15 pm »
Won't miss Botham or Gower. Glad they're getting rid to be honest. Just a shame they'll never be able to poach Agnew.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5703 on: September 15, 2019, 08:14:51 pm »
Smith.

Terrible rule, can’t we just share it?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5704 on: September 15, 2019, 08:18:22 pm »
Australia lost a third Test by an innings at Sydney, earning that team the headline of "Worst Australian XI of all time". That Sydney Test featured a clown of a legspinner - shite bowler, fuck ugly batsman who somehow kept getting bat on ball despite moving all around the crease.

That was the fourth. Draw at Brisbane, we won at Adelaide, they won at Perth.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5705 on: September 15, 2019, 08:19:19 pm »
Takes me back. England struggling and crumbling under pressure when it matters and then, once the Ashes are gone and the Australians have no need to give it absolutely everything, batsmen who've been a disappointment when the pressure was on suddenly put on a score, and we win.

Great. That papers over the cracks and the players and management can give each other reach-rounds, forgetting all about the crap selections, crap batting, crap captaincy.

This was a very 'distinctly average' Australian side. They only have two proven quality batsmen - and one of those was laughably out of touch. Admittedly the replacement for Smith performed brilliantly.

We bowled too short too often (look how metronomic accuracy from most of the Australian attack reaped rewards) and some decisions from Root were at various times amateurish, overly defensive or plain baffling.

Obviously losing Anderson was a huge blow, and I'd have loved to have seen him and Archer bowling in tandem.

But even so, we should have beaten these at home with the resources we had available.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5706 on: September 15, 2019, 08:31:19 pm »
That was the fourth. Draw at Brisbane, we won at Adelaide, they won at Perth.

1st Test, Brisbane: Drew. Cook & Trott 517-1.
2nd Test, Adelaide: Won by an innings. Pietersen double.
3rd Test, Perth: Lost.
4th Test, Melbourne. Won by an innings. Boxing day massacre.
5th Test, Sydney. Won by an innings. Pup's first Test as captain after Ponting was injured at Melbourne.

Sydney was the third innings victory of the series, and the first time Australia lost by an innings for the third time in a single series.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Tommy Torres

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5707 on: September 15, 2019, 08:34:45 pm »
Won't miss Botham or Gower. Glad they're getting rid to be honest. Just a shame they'll never be able to poach Agnew.

Won’t miss Gower, never really rated him especially as a presenter. Liked Beefy though.
There's only one Sergio Torres

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5708 on: September 15, 2019, 08:43:49 pm »
1st Test, Brisbane: Drew. Cook & Trott 517-1.
2nd Test, Adelaide: Won by an innings. Pietersen double.
3rd Test, Perth: Lost.
4th Test, Melbourne. Won by an innings. Boxing day massacre.
5th Test, Sydney. Won by an innings. Pup's first Test as captain after Ponting was injured at Melbourne.

Sydney was the third innings victory of the series, and the first time Australia lost by an innings for the third time in a single series.

Sorry, read your post as that was the third test. My mistake.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5709 on: September 15, 2019, 08:49:18 pm »
I liked Joe Root mentioning in his interview that there will be a focus on building a team to win Down Under in two years time. For me it has to be the total focus now. We've put a World Cup, held at home no less, in the cabinet, and the next one will be in tough conditions in the sub-continent. Resources and focus should be directed to the test arena and developing the type of cricketer we need to challenge in Australia, after the last two frankly abysmal tours there.

I mentioned some names earlier in the thread that I'd be looking to replace some of the current crop with. Whether they, or others, prove to be the answer, who knows, but changes will need to be made, and the ideal starting point would be this winter.

I did actually enjoy this series, been plenty of twists and turns, even if the actual quality has been lower than previous series. Prior to that, the World Cup was an absolutely monumental boost to the game in the country and the day of the final will live with me forever. It's been a great summer and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new regime goes about building a new side.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5710 on: September 15, 2019, 09:10:51 pm »
A very enjoyable series, Aussies were the better side but had England had a fit Anderson and the rain not spoilt the Lord's test we may even have nicked it.

Burns and Denly have shown they deserve another chance, Archer has been inspirational, Board excellent, Stokes a genius on occasions.
Bairstow a major negative. Buttler got better as the series went on but still disappointing. Leach showed character and guts , but needs to improve as a bowler.
Root hasn't been flawless but still our best available captain.

Anyway a great series and a great summer - enjoyed all the banter on here, well done to everyone who has contributed.  ;D

I was thinking this myself, the cricket threads on RAWK this year have been the best I've ever seen. In the past sometimes I've felt like I've just been talking to myself or there has just been a hardcore of posters such as Nick, Cheshire Dave, Welshred, Yorkie and 5th Bentile (who). I enjoy reading the debates and discussions and whilst we have disagreements and get frustrated, posters in the cricket threads always come across as respectful of others but the general mood tends to be one of fun and banter.     
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5711 on: September 15, 2019, 09:12:24 pm »
Smith.

Smith must've hit me boundaries than Warner did runs in the entire series

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5712 on: September 15, 2019, 09:20:54 pm »
A lot don't feel the same and I get that but I'm gutted both of them are going. From my first memories of cricket in the mid to late 90s Gower and Botham have been commentating and presenting, this is a bit of a passing of the torch moment but it's sad that two of the people I associated with cricket coverage for over 20 years are now going. It was the same with Blowers leaving TMS last year and when Richie Benaud commentated in England for the last time as well.

What a summer of cricket though eh? It's been absolutely brilliant from start to finish. The highs of the World Cup, Ben Stokes, Jofra Archer, Jack Leach at Lord's against Ireland and Headingley against Australia, Ben Stokes (he deserves to be mentioned twice), Stuart Broad bowling better than ever and all the lows that eventually make it worthwhile. Remember, Australia only retained the Ashes because rain saved them at Lord's ;)

This team will go through a lot of changes over the next year or so and we'll have to bear that in mind as they do go through but it's been an absolute pleasure to watch and I'm a bit gutted that it's all over.

That's a great post.

I guess for me the only downside is not seeing more of James Anderson. However I was thinking about him and Broad today and despite their age both of them have arguably been in the best form of their lives for the past few series. They seem to actually get better with age, I can't wait to see them in an attack which also includes Archer, roll on the tour of New Zealand. The first t20 is 1st November with the tests starting on 21st.

As you say its been a fantastic summer of cricket.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5713 on: September 15, 2019, 09:28:52 pm »
Smith must've hit me boundaries than Warner did runs in the entire series

At one point.

Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5714 on: September 15, 2019, 09:40:25 pm »
I liked Joe Root mentioning in his interview that there will be a focus on building a team to win Down Under in two years time. For me it has to be the total focus now. We've put a World Cup, held at home no less, in the cabinet, and the next one will be in tough conditions in the sub-continent. Resources and focus should be directed to the test arena and developing the type of cricketer we need to challenge in Australia, after the last two frankly abysmal tours there.

I mentioned some names earlier in the thread that I'd be looking to replace some of the current crop with. Whether they, or others, prove to be the answer, who knows, but changes will need to be made, and the ideal starting point would be this winter.

I did actually enjoy this series, been plenty of twists and turns, even if the actual quality has been lower than previous series. Prior to that, the World Cup was an absolutely monumental boost to the game in the country and the day of the final will live with me forever. It's been a great summer and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new regime goes about building a new side.

Ashes 2021 Anderson presumably will have retired, broad will be 35. Next 12 months they're going to need to think long term with the pace attack. Away form in the last couple of years has been very hit and miss (like most of the sides around to be honest)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5715 on: September 15, 2019, 09:44:45 pm »
At one point.

So that's not including his sixes?  :o

By the time it gets to the next Ashes Smith's eyesight will be going due to old age.

Actually that reminds me of story in Nasser's autobiography and he was talking about the selection committee when he was captain. Apparently Botham was on the panel and he was sat at the back of the room smoking a cigar basically throwing hand grenades into the discussion. He started talking about Alec Stewart and said he was too old and said 'his eyes have gone'. This comment got back to Stewart and he became so paranoid about it that he went out and had an eye test. Turned out he had 20/20 vision!
 ;D ;D

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5716 on: September 15, 2019, 10:19:31 pm »
So that's not including his sixes?  :o

By the time it gets to the next Ashes Smith's eyesight will be going due to old age.

Actually that reminds me of story in Nasser's autobiography and he was talking about the selection committee when he was captain. Apparently Botham was on the panel and he was sat at the back of the room smoking a cigar basically throwing hand grenades into the discussion. He started talking about Alec Stewart and said he was too old and said 'his eyes have gone'. This comment got back to Stewart and he became so paranoid about it that he went out and had an eye test. Turned out he had 20/20 vision!
 ;D ;D

Unlike Botham to talk utter bollocks isn’t it!

Talking of speaking utter bollocks to Nasser Hussain I’m still smirking from Warne on commentary this morning. I think it was mentioned on here but it was beautiful. Australia were on an immense opening stand (by their standards) and were 18-0.  Warne says to Nasser “are you getting worried yet?”.  The very next sound Sky viewers heard was that of Marcus Harris’ off stump cartwheeling out of the ground. It was a joy.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5717 on: September 15, 2019, 10:40:29 pm »
I was thinking this myself, the cricket threads on RAWK this year have been the best I've ever seen. In the past sometimes I've felt like I've just been talking to myself or there has just been a hardcore of posters such as Nick, Cheshire Dave, Welshred, Yorkie and 5th Bentile (who). I enjoy reading the debates and discussions and whilst we have disagreements and get frustrated, posters in the cricket threads always come across as respectful of others but the general mood tends to be one of fun and banter.     

Oh God, we’re being retired for Isa Guha aren’t we?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5718 on: September 15, 2019, 10:41:20 pm »
Unlike Botham to talk utter bollocks isn’t it!

Talking of speaking utter bollocks to Nasser Hussain I’m still smirking from Warne on commentary this morning. I think it was mentioned on here but it was beautiful. Australia were on an immense opening stand (by their standards) and were 18-0.  Warne says to Nasser “are you getting worried yet?”.  The very next sound Sky viewers heard was that of Marcus Harris’ off stump cartwheeling out of the ground. It was a joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxnfqDJUWg
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5719 on: September 15, 2019, 10:41:30 pm »
To Welshy’s post, we’re Gower and Botham ever on the BBC comms team? Feels like a different lifetime but I’m guessing they weren’t.