Author Topic: Beginners guide to DJ Equipment  (Read 7308 times)

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Beginners guide to DJ Equipment
« Reply #40 on: November 9, 2018, 10:26:40 am »
Ive actually lost a turntable i had 6,two numarks two Vestax pdx 2000 and two sl1200s. It a vestax ive lost or lent someone either way its gone. I noticed this about a year ago so its more likely lost.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #41 on: November 9, 2018, 11:10:29 am »
Sold my 1210s in 1999, and then all my vinyl in 2003. Fell out of love with it towards the end of the 90s. Got back into it a couple of years ago with the cheapest/easiest path being a controller, but wanted one with a decent deck type feel and none of sync business. Still too easy though

I've had a go on my mates CDJ's a couple of times. Don't like them. Doesn't feel like I'm DJ'ing. No skill involved for me.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 9, 2018, 11:32:01 am »
I've had a go on my mates CDJ's a couple of times. Don't like them. Doesn't feel like I'm DJ'ing. No skill involved for me.

Yeah, not the same for sure. The controller i have has a better feel than the cdj’s imo... low wide platterswith a vinyl type feel on the top, stick em in slip mode and the feel is pretty good. Obviously then don’t spin, so you don’t quite get the feel of the touch and wind. Large pitch faders as well. Big one for me is that i want the experience to be as skillful as possible, so its turning off sync, and sticking bits of tape over the serato bpm displays, which you cannot switch off. Major advantage of the controller and serato is the access to music. Also, I admit to using the key detection software, which may seem like a cheat, but makes it much more freestyle in just playing without having to get a set together for example. Probably the best solution would be some 1210’s or rane tables, with serato as well. Got back intolistening to 88-90 house, and 90-92 hardcore, and a suprising amount of that is available online, so access to vinyl that i have long since sold and would be difficult to source/afford the vinyl

https://www.djkit.com/rane/rane-twelve-battle-controller.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA_ZTfBRBjEiwAN6YG4bV4q8eUBNRQIWQZpztNcklKCJfYjs0qECxZsUgGc2RmOVcZCuOO1xoCRTgQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: November 9, 2018, 11:34:14 am by McSquared »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 9, 2018, 11:43:13 am »
Yeah, not the same for sure. The controller i have has a better feel than the cdj’s imo... low wide platterswith a vinyl type feel on the top, stick em in slip mode and the feel is pretty good. Obviously then don’t spin, so you don’t quite get the feel of the touch and wind. Large pitch faders as well. Big one for me is that i want the experience to be as skillful as possible, so its turning off sync, and sticking bits of tape over the serato bpm displays, which you cannot switch off. Major advantage of the controller and serato is the access to music. Also, I admit to using the key detection software, which may seem like a cheat, but makes it much more freestyle in just playing without having to get a set together for example. Probably the best solution would be some 1210’s or rane tables, with serato as well. Got back intolistening to 88-90 house, and 90-92 hardcore, and a suprising amount of that is available online, so access to vinyl that i have long since sold and would be difficult to source/afford the vinyl

https://www.djkit.com/rane/rane-twelve-battle-controller.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA_ZTfBRBjEiwAN6YG4bV4q8eUBNRQIWQZpztNcklKCJfYjs0qECxZsUgGc2RmOVcZCuOO1xoCRTgQAvD_BwE

Fair enough.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
JFT97

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 9, 2018, 02:45:21 pm »
Mine were 1210's mkII's. I know about the prices of them at the moment. That's why I haven't bought any more yet. Simply can't afford it.

Sold a load of my old hardcore years ago. About 100 of them. Loads on 'Production House records' label. Loads of promo's a few white labels and test pressings as well. I needed the money at the time. I regret doing that as well now. Not selling anymore. They can collect dust until I find the money to buy some more decks.
I sold some of my late 90s trance stuff when I met Paul then started tracking down all the early 90s stuff I hadn't got.  One of my favourite days out was train into Leeds for a good rummage through vinyl seeing what lost gems I could find, then back home to listen to them.

Can't see us ever parting with our vinyl now, we've too much to go through.

I liked the cdjs but it was too easy plus when you've got thousands of tracks available on vinyl but only a couple of hundred burnt to disc everything seemed on repeat.  We still sold them for more than we paid too so it was easy money when times we're hard.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 01:17:10 am »
Nobody bother with vinyl anymore? Anyone on here got any Technics 1210's or 1200's?

I miss mine. Wish I'd never sold them.
Yep, got mine stored away, still have 1000 vinyl, last record I bought was about 2004, moved onto Serato after that, haven't had the decks out in about 8 years.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 08:38:36 am »
Yep, got mine stored away, still have 1000 vinyl, last record I bought was about 2004, moved onto Serato after that, haven't had the decks out in about 8 years.

Seems a waste. Are you selling them?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 08:41:13 am »
I sold some of my late 90s trance stuff when I met Paul then started tracking down all the early 90s stuff I hadn't got.  One of my favourite days out was train into Leeds for a good rummage through vinyl seeing what lost gems I could find, then back home to listen to them.

Can't see us ever parting with our vinyl now, we've too much to go through.

I liked the cdjs but it was too easy plus when you've got thousands of tracks available on vinyl but only a couple of hundred burnt to disc everything seemed on repeat.  We still sold them for more than we paid too so it was easy money when times we're hard.

I used to go to Eastern Bloc and Vinyl Exchange in Manchester.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2018, 06:04:50 pm »

Me too, eastern bloc in manchester, 3beat in lpool and global grooves in chester. I bought one of my 1210’s from 3beat, and the other from richer sounds i think in liverpool. Got stopped by the police loading into my car as they thought i had nicked it
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:07:18 pm by McSquared »

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2018, 06:31:01 pm »
Its a buzz for me being in a record shop and just having a dig through what they have,i have a discogs account and used to use htfr years ago. I never used discogs,does anyone buy vinyl from there?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2018, 07:30:36 pm »
Never did Manchester mate Leeds and  Sheffield were our regular places with 3beat in Liverpool and htfr in Birmingham as occasional days out, then eBay took over.

Been years since we bought any vinyl though, our decks have been packed away in the attic for 6 or 7yrs now mainly cos we stripped out our party room to do it up but never got round to it.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 01:39:35 am »

Seems a waste. Are you selling them?
Nope mate, I'll never sell my decks or records

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2018, 08:41:11 am »
Still got my 1200s, set up a ready to go.

Go on them at least once a month, or when I've had a couple of beers.

Haven't lost it even after all these years, played for a couple of hours last weekend and absolutely smashed it (maybe it was the beers).  ;)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2018, 09:01:39 pm »

Piccadilly Records has always been my go-to in Manchester.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2018, 09:03:09 pm »
Its a buzz for me being in a record shop and just having a dig through what they have,i have a discogs account and used to use htfr years ago. I never used discogs,does anyone buy vinyl from there?

Yep, loads. Always found it the best way to get records you'll never pick up digging in stores. All the years Ive been using it I've never been stung by a bad seller either.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2018, 10:51:59 am »
Okay thanks mate il have a proper look on there because i still want loads of old stuff,and like you say i would never find them in shops.

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »
Need some advice - doing an office party in a few weeks and can't remember the set-up (has been over 5 years since I last did a party).

So I connect my laptop to the controller and then the controller to the speaker with a 3.5mm to RCA cable and select the speaker as the master output. How do I then connect my headphones for pre-cueing? Does it depend on the DJ software I am using?
JFT97

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2018, 11:02:51 am »
Need some advice - doing an office party in a few weeks and can't remember the set-up (has been over 5 years since I last did a party).

So I connect my laptop to the controller and then the controller to the speaker with a 3.5mm to RCA cable and select the speaker as the master output. How do I then connect my headphones for pre-cueing? Does it depend on the DJ software I am using?

Typically the controller. Should be a headphone 1/4inch jack on front, then some way to select the channel to monitor, usually some kind of switch around the channel fader, then some way to control headphone volume and cue mix

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2018, 12:05:10 pm »
Still got my 1200s, set up a ready to go.

Go on them at least once a month, or when I've had a couple of beers.

Haven't lost it even after all these years, played for a couple of hours last weekend and absolutely smashed it (maybe it was the beers).  ;)

Jason, we need to get that old skool thread up and running again. It's been a long time mate.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2018, 08:36:05 pm »
Jason, we need to get that old skool thread up and running again. It's been a long time mate.

Done!!

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=114558.msg16340207#msg16340207
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:38:02 pm by jason67 »
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »
I have a pair of these:

https://audio-technica.com.au/products/lp1240-usbxp/

Great turntables, sturdy as anything.

I also have a couple of CDJ’s, the older Pioneer CDJ 800’s. I don’t mind them, it gives me a bit of flexibility when mixing.

I love me vinyl though, even if it’s a bit pricey these days.

I would recommend getting a decent set of headphones, they really make a difference.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD25’s, love them.
We are Liverpool!

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2018, 10:37:05 am »
Just Gotten back into Djying after 14 years out...can't believe how much has changed

I've just bought the Pioneer DDJSB3 with the Pioneer DM-40 Speakers

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:38:53 am by thechulloran »
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #63 on: December 5, 2018, 03:07:26 am »
Ive had my Decks(2 Technics & 2 Numarks TTXs) & 4 Pioneer CDjs for years and love them,but bought a Roland DJ-808 4 channel DJ Controller about a year ago on release and fuck me, theyre fun.

Got everything in it including drum machines and vocoders.Incorporate my Akai mpc & my 303 and my new Maschine mk3 plus other stuff into it.Fucking brilliant.

The whole idea of dj'in is shifting,and its fucking brilliant the gear they do now
« Last Edit: December 5, 2018, 03:09:52 am by Capon Debaser »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2018, 02:00:55 am »
I started djing on vinyl and taking photos with film. These days I'm fully digital with both and doing things I could never have done 20 years ago. Some aspects are made easier by tech but this only raises the bar of expectation because all of the creative avenues it opens.

Currently, I use a ddj sx2 for gigging but still have a couple of record decks in the house.

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2018, 02:24:27 pm »
I started djing on vinyl and taking photos with film. These days I'm fully digital with both and doing things I could never have done 20 years ago. Some aspects are made easier by tech but this only raises the bar of expectation because all of the creative avenues it opens.

Currently, I use a ddj sx2 for gigging but still have a couple of record decks in the house.

Would you recommend the sx2's?
JFT97

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2018, 05:43:37 pm »
Slightly off topic a bit..  ::)
Any free DJ software for lazy arse's..
Like i put 10... 20... 30.. tracks in a folder & it auto mixes them ... sorts BPM etc.. just hit play and off it goes  8)
tried a few, but just was to much dicking about ..

Tried.. (prob doing it wrong)
mixxx
zulu
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."