Author Topic: Dejan Lovren  (Read 502929 times)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dejan Lovren
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2016, 01:13:29 pm »
Here's a thought, if Lovren and Sahko both continue with this excellent partnership....who does Matip replace?

Not a chance we've signed Matip for the bench, so could we possibly see 3 at the back next season?

Lovrens turn around has been incredible, from a defender who got bullied all game every game, who made arseholes drip everytime he had to defend, to a mountain of a player filled with confidence and a fire back in him.

Fast becoming a mainstay and has definately overtaken Skrtel in the pecking order.

It'll be Sakho I think. Klopp really likes Lovren, and how dominant he is in the air generally. Plus Sakho has his injury issues so he probably doesn't trust him staying fit for the entire season
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2016, 01:31:53 pm »
Arguably out best player over the last 3-4 months. Who would have thought that a year ago.

True. Although I don't think he was ever as bad as his early performances for us, his problem seemed to be he's such an aggressive defender that his mistakes would be magnified because of that. Klopp seems to like him which is no surprise given the type of game he likes to play and it's nice to see Lovren more settled and playing well. Him and Sakho seem to get on and it does beg the question, as J-Mc said, who Matip will replace? It's not a bad position to be in though, rather this than the alternative.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2016, 01:39:49 pm »
Here's a thought, if Lovren and Sahko both continue with this excellent partnership....who does Matip replace?
Having seen Matip since we signed him I haven`t been impressed at all, I wouldn`t be entirely convinced that he`s just gonna waltz in the side too easily. It doesn`t matter what we signed him for, he`ll have to prove himself and of course he will get his chance to do so.

My prediction is that for the most part we`ll be seeing Lovren - Sakho next season as they`ve got a really good understanding and look a proper partnership, something we haven`t seen at our club for some time.

Sakho being left-footed ( which is important for the balance at the back ) and outstanding passing ability will make it extremely difficult for Klopp not to include him next season.

Offline luckyluke

• A proponent of intercourse during accelerated perambulation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super bonanza extravaganza
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2016, 02:52:39 pm »
Rewatching the game now and I just realised how well he was playing. Not only his defensive work and reading of the game, but his distribution was top quality also. Hummels gets praised a lot for his passing (and rightly so) but I'd argue Lovren was on his level the other night. Always seemed to find the best option, whether it was a short pass out of trouble or a long ball to Origi. Did a very clever chip up to Clyne in the first half which you rarely see in competitive matches from anyone, let alone from a CB, and a great cross too that was cleared difficultly by their defenders.

So great to see his ressurrection.

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2016, 02:58:21 pm »
So great to see his ressurrection.

From devil to deity in a season.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2016, 03:25:52 pm »

Not a chance we've signed Matip for the bench, so could we possibly see 3 at the back next season?

Lovrens turn around has been incredible, from a defender who got bullied all game every game, who made arseholes drip everytime he had to defend, to a mountain of a player filled with confidence and a fire back in him.

Fast becoming a mainstay and has definately overtaken Skrtel in the pecking order.
Matip takes Skrtel's place, all top teams have 3 good centre backs that they rotate for cups/league
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »
I freely admit to being a fierce critic of Lovren in the past (and probably in the more recent past too, I've been wary of going over the top with praise for what I thought were decent if unspectacular performances).

However I don't mind eating humble pie. Last year when he missed that penalty in the Europa League that sent us out he was fucking hammered and that was probably the nadir of his career here. At that time I thought as a player he was definitely not of the required quality but I praised his courage for stepping up and giving it a go when others didn't. He didn't hide away from responsibility and I will never criticize a player for 'failing' in such circumstances.

It's been that same kind of courage and determination that has gotten him to this point (and of course some better coaching from Klopp and his staff). He's obviously a hard worker, he gives his all and now it's coming to the fore. He and Sakho aren't perfect together but they are the best duo at centre half that we've had in a while and I don't see any reason why they won't continue to be first choice next season IF they keep this chemistry going.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2016, 04:31:43 pm »
Having seen Matip since we signed him I haven`t been impressed at all, I wouldn`t be entirely convinced that he`s just gonna waltz in the side too easily. It doesn`t matter what we signed him for, he`ll have to prove himself and of course he will get his chance to do so.

My prediction is that for the most part we`ll be seeing Lovren - Sakho next season as they`ve got a really good understanding and look a proper partnership, something we haven`t seen at our club for some time.

Sakho being left-footed ( which is important for the balance at the back ) and outstanding passing ability will make it extremely difficult for Klopp not to include him next season.
I've seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPTQUek961c

He looks quite splendid.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2016, 04:57:42 pm »
That time Lovren kung fu kicked a Palace fan.

Offline mister_man

• Kemlynite
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2016, 05:33:18 pm »
Matip takes Skrtel's place, all top teams have 3 good centre backs that they rotate for cups/league

This is what I thought when I saw this question raised. And as the season sets in, the best pairing will become obvious. No doubt they'll be an injury or two along the way, which will mean having three strong choices is important.

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2016, 11:04:04 am »

It's possible, but for me it would be surprising to see Klopp switch to a back three/five. It's not something he has done before, and for me it would be strange to do this to accomodate three defenders who are good but not great.

I don't think it's a given that Matip comes in and immediately is first choice. At the time of the signing that seemed likely, but with the way Lovren and Sakho have improved as a partnership I think he needs to use pre-season really well to convince Klopp it's right to break those two up.

Individually, I don't think Matip is a better player than either of the two, so it will probably come down to the dynamic Klopp is looking for. He's a decent ball player, like Sakho - and he's good in the air, like Lovren. And he's more calm and laid back than them. All of this should make him a pretty good partner for either of the two. But if Lovren and Sakho keep playing well together and build on the connection they seem to have, I think Matip will have to fight for it. And you know those two guys will as well.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2016, 11:19:16 am »
Lovren and Sakho has improved allot when Can is our deepest midfielder. Can allows us to push forward and gets around the pitch more, meaning our center backs don't have to go out wide which is Lovren weakness. They also know they be covered with Cans mobility.

Lovren is poor when our CBs split and we do that allot less with Can in the team. When Lucas is brought in, we do that to compensate his lack of mobility and it's his natural game. That's for me, why I'd have Allen and Stewart infront of them instead of Lucas. Lovren and Sakho are settled now and playing with confidence, we should slot in player similar to Can in midfield than bringing in Lucas which rips everything up imo.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2016, 07:47:51 am »
Has been Boss (post Klopp)

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2016, 07:52:44 am »
It's such a beautiful thing to write a player off as garbage because he's playing like garbage, only have him eventually become a fucking beast and prove you wrong. Fair play to him, deserves all the plaudits he's getting.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:55:08 am by theMilkman »
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:00 am »
That time Lovren kung fu kicked a Palace fan.

Apart from Dejan.....the only other guy that has been photoshopped in is that guy between Pallister and Dejan with the LFC Standard Chartered top on, right?

;)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2016, 09:53:46 am »
Apart from Dejan.....the only other guy that has been photoshopped in is that guy between Pallister and Dejan with the LFC Standard Chartered top on, right?

;)

Time traveller.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2016, 09:59:31 am »
There is no such thing as a world class CB. Only good ones who play for well organized teams with a system that suits them.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
  • PSN: WesleyP1pes
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2016, 11:42:38 am »
Certain players compliment certain players differently, We will never know how good they are til they play.

All this could have been avoided anyway, Rodgers sold the wrong bloody centerback.

Agger would still be our best CB.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2016, 11:47:17 am »
There is no such thing as a world class CB. Only good ones who play for well organized teams with a system that suits them.
Bull shit.

No such thing as a world class player, just some players play well against certain kinds of teams.

Stupid logic.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2016, 11:49:33 am »
Certain players compliment certain players differently, We will never know how good they are til they play.

All this could have been avoided anyway, Rodgers sold the wrong bloody centerback.

Agger was done with Premier League football, his body couldn't take it anymore by his own admission.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:13 pm »

If he could stay fit maybe.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2016, 01:01:08 pm »

Having watched Matip a few times since he's signed on current form he gets no where near the first 11. He's looked almost Skrtel level. I'm hoping it's a huge dip in form by him.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2016, 01:05:26 pm »
Hat's off to Lovren, he has changed around enormously, but this is not one of those cases where the player was ok all the time but the fans were idiots.
You need to take a good look again at Lovren in his first six months. Lovren was really, really bad.  He was dribbling, attacking balls 30 meters out of his zone, clearing into dangerous areas, you name it. Whenever he made a small mistake, he reacted by taking a bigger chance - like a gambler doubling his bet.

Offline elliotsmith101

• Main Stander
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2016, 01:35:05 pm »

I don't think it's something to be too worried about - with the amount of games we play and injuries etc, it's highly unlikely we'll get an consistency at the back. Having 3 great cbs on rotation is no problem for me, obviously they've got to be paired depending on their style though.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2016, 02:23:47 pm »
I think it will be a straight up scrap between Sakho, Lovren and Matip for 2 CB spots. No one is nailed on to start. It's good to have genuine competition. Gomez and Toure can provide cover, with Lucus and Can providing emergency options.

Massive turnaround from Lovren. Looked like Titus Bramble last year and now he's been one of our form players for the past 3 or 4 months. Also great to see how much love he and Sakho have for each other.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »

I do actually think there is such a thing as a World Class centre back. However, even the very best will be exposed in certain systems or playing alongside certain players.

I do think centre back is the one position where you can can significantly elevate a players performance by getting the system correct. By getting the system correct, I actually mean to play to their strengths. You’ve only got to look at Leicester and the Morgan/Huth partnership to see this. Their entire tactical set up helps their centre halves excel. Leicester pretty much force teams to go long or wide, forcing them into an aerial duals with 2 players who are brilliant in the air.  Their 2 shielding midfielders mean the centre backs very rarely get exposed to the opposition getting a run on them. Shielding them from one of their weaknesses. Weaknesses that have been evident under different managers and tactical systems.

One of my biggest criticisms of Brendan Rodgers was that he asked too much of his centre backs. He in essence made their job too complicated. I think they were often pulled out of position and asked to defend on 1 on 1 situations more than most defenders would be comfortable with (definitely Dejan Lovren). I think we are seeing a lot less of that under Klopp, and as such the centre backs look a lot more comfortable in this system. My hope is that this improvement continues in an upward trajectory once the entire team have a pre-season to work together on shape and defensive discipline. I’d be pretty confident going into next season with Matip, Sakho and Lovren as our 3 frontline centre backs with Lucas/Gomez as back up.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2016, 04:21:40 am »
I do actually think there is such a thing as a World Class centre back. However, even the very best will be exposed in certain systems or playing alongside certain players.

I do think centre back is the one position where you can can significantly elevate a players performance by getting the system correct. By getting the system correct, I actually mean to play to their strengths. You’ve only got to look at Leicester and the Morgan/Huth partnership to see this. Their entire tactical set up helps their centre halves excel. Leicester pretty much force teams to go long or wide, forcing them into an aerial duals with 2 players who are brilliant in the air.  Their 2 shielding midfielders mean the centre backs very rarely get exposed to the opposition getting a run on them. Shielding them from one of their weaknesses. Weaknesses that have been evident under different managers and tactical systems.

One of my biggest criticisms of Brendan Rodgers was that he asked too much of his centre backs. He in essence made their job too complicated. I think they were often pulled out of position and asked to defend on 1 on 1 situations more than most defenders would be comfortable with (definitely Dejan Lovren). I think we are seeing a lot less of that under Klopp, and as such the centre backs look a lot more comfortable in this system. My hope is that this improvement continues in an upward trajectory once the entire team have a pre-season to work together on shape and defensive discipline. I’d be pretty confident going into next season with Matip, Sakho and Lovren as our 3 frontline centre backs with Lucas/Gomez as back up.

Yep, pretty much this. Centre halves have individual qualities (is there another CB in the world that can pull off that pass for Reus's goal on Thursday?) as much as players in any other position. And like players in any other position, centre halves can only do some much when left to their own devices and don't have a system that helps them to succeed. It's a position that benefits a lot from a sound tactical setup and good coaching.

Offline "Ninja Skrtel"

• Anny Roader
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2016, 05:23:27 am »
I thought him and Sakho would never get along after Sakho headbutted him off the pitch in one of their first games together. They also seemed to be competing for the same LCB most of the time under Rodgers. But look at them now! Heartwarming bromance
"Behave yourself".

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2016, 12:48:05 pm »
I thought him and Sakho would never get along after Sakho headbutted him off the pitch in one of their first games together.

What?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2016, 01:05:22 pm »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »
They clashed heads.

My question was about when did that happen. Spurs away? Can't remember exactly but I think one of them was getting in other's zone or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:12:37 pm by Yiannis »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »
More body language experts weighing in?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2016, 01:16:09 pm »
Think Sakho has ploughed into a few of our players this season when going for headers, it's just how he rolls.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Woody Boyd

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2016, 01:21:13 pm »
My question was about when did that happen. Spurs away? Can't remember exactly but I think one of them was getting in other's zone or something like that.

It was one of many inspiring situations in the 3-1 defeat away at West Ham last season.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2016, 01:23:28 pm »
Ah thanks. That bloody game though. That lineup.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2016, 01:34:33 pm »

So that how he cover the ground so well, he has three legs!

Jake the Peg.....

Sent from my Enigma machine using Weasel words.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:40 pm »
I thought him and Sakho would never get along after Sakho headbutted him off the pitch in one of their first games together. They also seemed to be competing for the same LCB most of the time under Rodgers. But look at them now! Heartwarming bromance

:lmao

Offline luckyluke

• A proponent of intercourse during accelerated perambulation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super bonanza extravaganza
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »
Two very good midfield splitting passes by him for Firmino, first for the second goal, then for Firmino's chance. Also defending very well, but that's hardly a surprise these days.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2016, 08:31:28 pm »
Been our most improved player under Klopp another good game today
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2016, 09:46:47 pm »
I got scared shitless when he fell to the ground with troubles breeding... Players throwing arms and elbows out should be call out more often and punished more severely, IMHO. Most of the time is just a bruise, or a cut lip or eyebrow, but sometimes it can be really dangerous. And most forwards do that on purpose.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."