Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 521766 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #3120 on: December 28, 2020, 12:03:14 am »
What a defence!

F.Aurelio  J.Matip D.Agger R.Jones
That wins you the Rehab Cup. Put Kewell on the wing, Sturridge uptop...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3121 on: December 28, 2020, 12:15:07 am »
That wins you the Rehab Cup. Put Kewell on the wing, Sturridge uptop...

At the risk of me being totally kicked out of the Matip thread, here is my winning 11 for the Rehab Cup

H.Kewell  D. Sturridge   
A.Lallana J. Redknapp  N.Keita J.Litmanen
F. Aurelio D.Agger J.Matip R.Jones
              C. Kirkland

Subs: A.Aquilani, A.O.Chamberlain, J. Gomez

A side so good, and everyone in this fantasy world beng so durable,  that it needs just 3 subs.
Edit: Added J. Gomez for good measure. Not sure he deserves it to be honest.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:19:00 am by macmanamanaman »
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3122 on: December 28, 2020, 12:15:07 am »
Jocky played on for several seasons combatting excruciating pain. He had a similar build to Joel Matip. His knees were shot to bits when he won his last league titles, playing every minute of every game. 

I understand what you mean about playing through pain. Certain players can do it, certain players can't.

I know you were a massive fan of Agger like myself, however there is a lot to be said for the resilience of a Carragher even if he didn't reach the same heights.

The bit I am not sure of is the Hansen. He was like a thoroughbred race horse, Matip is like a giraffe on a skating rink.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3123 on: December 28, 2020, 12:43:49 am »
At the risk of me being totally kicked out of the Matip thread, here is my winning 11 for the Rehab Cup

H.Kewell  D. Sturridge   
A.Lallana J. Redknapp  N.Keita J.Litmanen
F. Aurelio D.Agger J.Matip R.Jones
              C. Kirkland

Subs: A.Aquilani, A.O.Chamberlain, J. Gomez

A side so good, and everyone in this fantasy world beng so durable,  that it needs just 3 subs.
Edit: Added J. Gomez for good measure. Not sure he deserves it to be honest.

Unfair on Chamberlain. Replace with Tsimikas

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: December 28, 2020, 12:50:01 am »
Fuckin' Hell! is Ox your new Charlie Adam Fordster?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3125 on: December 28, 2020, 12:55:24 am »

unfair on Adam... and Chamberlain... and Fordy...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: December 28, 2020, 01:14:28 am »

No Ben White is.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3127 on: December 28, 2020, 01:29:58 am »
White below Kell right?  :D

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3128 on: December 28, 2020, 02:36:38 pm »
I understand what you mean about playing through pain. Certain players can do it, certain players can't.

I know you were a massive fan of Agger like myself, however there is a lot to be said for the resilience of a Carragher even if he didn't reach the same heights.

The bit I am not sure of is the Hansen. He was like a thoroughbred race horse, Matip is like a giraffe on a skating rink.

All fair Al. Agger used to test my patience too, but with Agger I could tolerate anything since the alternatives weren't too great. Carra was reliable, but not good enough. Skrtel was a lamentable footballer. Therefore when Agger played it seemed like a heaven worth waiting for. With Joel it's different. We either have brilliant alternatives (VVD and Joe Gomez) or - at the moment - none at all. His frequent bouts of injury therefore either leave me indifferent or furious depending on the circumstances. He can clearly never be a first choice. But he lacks the basic fitness to be a second or third one either.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #3129 on: December 28, 2020, 02:47:23 pm »
Is he out for the season?

Edit - Ignore this post, it’s Twitter hearsay at the minute.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3130 on: December 28, 2020, 02:49:52 pm »
An abductor injury? it doesn't take  5 months does it?  ::) ???

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3131 on: December 28, 2020, 03:09:10 pm »
2-6 weeks you would assume.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3132 on: December 28, 2020, 03:18:50 pm »
White below Kell right?  :D

No mate..Kell always top of the list.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3133 on: December 28, 2020, 03:37:26 pm »
Rolls Royce of a defender when fit, fit being the operative word. Surprising that he was given a long term contract till 2024, given his record with us.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3134 on: December 28, 2020, 03:42:30 pm »
I am not a sport scientist but wasn’t all the warm up before the start of the game supposed to reduce the risk of muscle injury?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3135 on: December 28, 2020, 03:45:07 pm »
I am not a sport scientist but wasn’t all the warm up before the start of the game supposed to reduce ]the risk of muscle injury?

And it does.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3136 on: December 28, 2020, 04:00:23 pm »
I am not a sport scientist but wasn’t all the warm up before the start of the game supposed to reduce the risk of muscle injury?

It does, you can't eliminate injuries by warming up! Especially well Iver an hour later!

Depends on the severity...seems too innocuous to be a grade 3 for me though but who knows, best to wait for official news

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: December 28, 2020, 04:14:29 pm »
All fair Al. Agger used to test my patience too, but with Agger I could tolerate anything since the alternatives weren't too great. Carra was reliable, but not good enough. Skrtel was a lamentable footballer. Therefore when Agger played it seemed like a heaven worth waiting for. With Joel it's different. We either have brilliant alternatives (VVD and Joe Gomez) or - at the moment - none at all. His frequent bouts of injury therefore either leave me indifferent or furious depending on the circumstances. He can clearly never be a first choice. But he lacks the basic fitness to be a second or third one either.

Going a bit far to be honest. Skrtel was a pretty good player for us. A consistent player, rarely injured, and would pop up with goals from corners which made him a threat. Granted, he was a bit of an old-fashioned defender and not really a ball playing defender so not exactly easy on the eye, but you don't get 300+ games for Liverpool by being lamentable. To be honest, in the midst of our injury crisis, we could do worse than have a player like that in the squad for us through a tough period.

We are very much after the Rolls Royce defenders in the game - pacy, athletic, good on the ball, good tactical intelligence and anticipation. They are definitely hard to find in the game. Hopefully our first 3 choice defenders come back fully but to be honest I'm not holding my breath over Matip (or Joe to be honest)

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3138 on: December 28, 2020, 11:02:33 pm »
6 weeks is what’s being said on Twitter

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3139 on: December 28, 2020, 11:04:02 pm »
6 weeks is what’s being said on Twitter
He’s not gong for a scan until tomorrow is what the journalists are saying
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3140 on: December 28, 2020, 11:32:27 pm »
He’s not gong for a scan until tomorrow is what the journalists are saying

Already had it according to the ‘insiders’.

6 weeks is what I’ve read too.
YWNA

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3141 on: December 28, 2020, 11:58:59 pm »
Null and void.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: December 29, 2020, 01:35:21 am »
We need to sign a CB, not doing so would be extremely risky given his injury history and given who we have available.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3143 on: December 29, 2020, 02:28:34 am »
Imagine Skrtl in a VAR world.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #3144 on: December 29, 2020, 06:10:16 am »

Definitely more likely an adductor than an abductor looking at where he was holding. Seems to be some.confusion in the media, most of whom don't seem to understand that these are two distinct muscle groups.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3145 on: December 29, 2020, 07:54:37 am »
We need to sign a CB, not doing so would be extremely risky given his injury history and given who we have available.

I would like to think the first order of business for the club in 2021 would be to sign a new centerback to partner Fab at the back.  Given the injuries we have to VVD, Gomez n Matip, we would be taking a huge risk having to depend on either Rhys Williams or Nat Philips for both the premier league and Champions games in the coming months

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: December 29, 2020, 07:56:25 am »
We need to sign a CB, not doing so would be extremely risky given his injury history and given who we have available

To be honest, I think we need to sign 2. Joel is a really underrated and good CB, when he's fit. Unfortunately he seems to have rotten luck with injuries and it doesn't help that our fixture schedule is always very congested and the league is a demanding place physically. We're coming up through a crucial period in the season, and going into it without any recognised CB's, and just Fab, Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams as well as the able stand-ins like Gini and Hendo, will be asking for trouble in my opinion.

Part of the reason that we are an attacking force is that we have such good defenders, and we have great recovery pace and ability to defend one v one with our best players. Joel, in particular, can pick a pass (as we have seen) and also carries the ball forward particularly well too, which is a big bonus against teams that park the bus. When we lose that, we also lose a bit of dynamism in attack because players can't bomb forward as confidently as before, and we lose that additional depth in distribution from the back.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #3147 on: December 29, 2020, 08:09:24 am »
Abductor? You could always risk that injury while making Close Encounters with other players.

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: December 29, 2020, 08:16:57 am »
A centre back is a must considering our injury list. I think Rhys has done really well and Nat is promising too, however an established CB would provide experience and leadership as well as future proof the position.
YNWA

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: December 29, 2020, 11:09:29 am »
Abductor? You could always risk that injury while making Close Encounters with other players.

He's a hostage to fortune.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: December 29, 2020, 11:18:50 am »

There's only person to call when it comes to an abductor.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3151 on: December 29, 2020, 06:17:20 pm »

I am sorry but this concept is alien to me.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: December 29, 2020, 06:26:16 pm »
To be honest, I think we need to sign 2. Joel is a really underrated and good CB, when he's fit. Unfortunately he seems to have rotten luck with injuries and it doesn't help that our fixture schedule is always very congested and the league is a demanding place physically. We're coming up through a crucial period in the season, and going into it without any recognised CB's, and just Fab, Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams as well as the able stand-ins like Gini and Hendo, will be asking for trouble in my opinion.

Part of the reason that we are an attacking force is that we have such good defenders, and we have great recovery pace and ability to defend one v one with our best players. Joel, in particular, can pick a pass (as we have seen) and also carries the ball forward particularly well too, which is a big bonus against teams that park the bus. When we lose that, we also lose a bit of dynamism in attack because players can't bomb forward as confidently as before, and we lose that additional depth in distribution from the back.

We won't sign 2 cb in Jan. Even though we could probably do with 2. Would be a odd not to sign one. We don't have a fit senior cb.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: December 29, 2020, 06:51:28 pm »
We won't sign 2 cb in Jan. Even though we could probably do with 2. Would be a odd not to sign one. We don't have a fit senior cb.

They need to be good enough to play for us, but economical enough to be worth a punt.  They'd also have to be happy knowing they're a short term fix.  That's a delicate line to walk.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3154 on: December 29, 2020, 08:06:34 pm »
What's Steven Caulker up to these days?

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3155 on: December 29, 2020, 08:10:32 pm »
What's Steven Caulker up to these days?
It’s his 29th birthday today
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3156 on: December 29, 2020, 08:43:43 pm »
Fearing the worst

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: December 29, 2020, 08:53:00 pm »
We needed another CB pre van dijk’s injury, let alone, Gomez’s injury. A Matip injury was just a matter of time.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3158 on: December 29, 2020, 10:23:10 pm »
Matip's fitness record speaks for itself. He cannot be relied upon, as good a player as he is when fit. If we sign a competent centre half who settles quickly that sends out a message to the rest of the teams in the division. If we don't it gives the rest renewed hope and more shite like West Brom will think they can take points off us. If we think Phillips and Williams will deliver the trophies we want we're fucking round the bend
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3159 on: December 29, 2020, 10:43:23 pm »
It’s his 29th birthday today

In my mind he was about 35 when we signed him
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3