Author Topic: Acceptable Sources and Unacceptable Sources when posting Media Stories.  (Read 145045 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK has a policy of accepting certain media sources when starting threads on news heard or written about the club.

This list is not exhaustive but gives clear guidence to what's allowed and not.

Twitter sources are not allowed unless from an official site and really, unless its the madness of the Transfer Forum, you shouldn't be starting a new thread based on a tweet anyway.

Clearly as Jon Hall's thread in this board states, quoting from the Sun will get you banned/muted at least and is just a no-no.

This is the list as posted in the Transfer Forum when open:

I really shouldn't need to say this, but, the following sources will be instantly deleted:
  • The Sun

The following (not an exhaustive list) could be summarily locked:
  • Daily Mail
  • The metro
  • Daily Express
  • Daily Mail
  • The Star
  • The Daily Star
  • Daily Mail
  • Talk Sport
  • Daily Mail
  • community.footballpools.com
  • Daily Mail
  • TeamTalk
  • Daily Mail
  • Tribal Football
  • Daily Mail
  • Sportsnetwork
  • Daily Mail
  • Goal.com
  • Daily Mail
  • fansfc.com
  • Daily Mail

Don't post anything from KopTalk, because Duncan Oldham claims copyright on it. Besides, why on earth would you want to read it?

The BBC Transfer Gossip page, and it's equivalent in the quality papers does not magically launder the story. A Sun story is a Sun story, even if the BBC report that the Sun are reporting something.

So what can you post?

liverpoolfc.tv is clearly definitive (apart from the press round up)
The Echo / Daily Post (unless it is reporting other papers' stories)

Beyond those two, I am afraid you need to think. Read the story. Does it have any quotes? A story quoting a named source is stronger than a story with an unnamed source, which is better than a story without a source. Where is the story printed? The Guardian has more credibility than the Star for instance. Is the story realistic? We are not going to buy Messi, he is not for sale, we couldn't afford him if he was. In summary, is the story credible? If it isn't, don't post it, because it will be locked.

I'd like to add the following to that list:
Talksport Radio
The Spectator

Also the Times has a paywall so quoting reports from there is likely to infringe copyright and get us into trouble.

thanks.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:27:41 pm by Rhi »
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Acceptable Sources and Unacceptable Sources when posting Media Stories.
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2012, 06:11:58 pm »
This is in the Feedback Section but probably would do as well to be in here.
Yep.

Offline jonah545711

• Kemlynite
  • Here to win YNWA
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2012, 05:53:17 pm »
LFC.Tv or Liverpoolrumours.com  ::) LOL
"Seeds are bought at a young age and developed in the Liverpool way" Our best seeds of late have been bought young and developed!!

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »
and if I overhear something on the street corner?
dios esta buena

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
I have this shoeshine bloke I regularly go to, he's pretty good.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline away day travel

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »
Sky Sports only, tends to be my "who to believe" rule!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:55:29 pm »
Sky Sports only, tends to be my "who to believe" rule!

Really?! Skysports is mainly bollocks.
Yep.

Offline KOP1975

• Feb 5: “Hurt the pockets of the club not the team on the pitch as the team needs all the help it can get right now.” Feb 7: “i never want to see Sakho-shit ever play for us again. He needs to be binned big time.” <— 'Helping' the team....?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2015, 08:22:24 am »
how about Indykilla on Twotter?  :tosser

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
Hello mods/staff was going start a thread about a Telegraph article which happens to quote and make reference to The S*n. Given the magnitude about what this is about it is almost certainly going to be discussed by reds at some stage but wanted to clear it here first.

Below is/was my intended post:

Apologies if already posted but I was interested to know what people's thoughts on the below were? Is this the final lethal injection to the domestic game, even the game as we know it? Or, is this a perfectly sensible direction to take for a club like ours in order to secure our future among the elite given how increasingly competitive the Premier League (and therefore how difficult Champions League qualification) has become?

**Warning: The below is a link to a Telegraph article which shows and references the back page of The S*n. Due to the potential magnitude of the implications (I'm sure this is going to be discussed among reds at some point) and the fact that this is a Telegraph article, I thought it would be ok to post. Sincere apologies in advance if I'm wrong about that.**

[link removed]
« Last Edit: March 2, 2016, 09:19:10 am by SP »
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
If the story has legs it will be reported without sourcing the Sun. We just do not allow Sun stories, even indirectly.

Thanks for asking first though.

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
Noted, Cheers.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Just a quick heads up. Football stats website WhoScored have partnered with The S*n

https://twitter.com/MrAcconci/status/756054871447658496

Please unfollow them and don't use their website/stats anymore. Squawka are a better alternative  :wave

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:33 pm »
What about Bleacher Report? There is a fantastic article by Simon Hughes in there I would like to link, but would prefer to make sure its acceptable first.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 11:21:03 am »
What about Bleacher Report? There is a fantastic article by Simon Hughes in there I would like to link, but would prefer to make sure its acceptable first.

If the article is good, and not from the Sun, we can be flexible.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:35:39 pm »
If the article is good, and not from the Sun, we can be flexible.

Thanks I will read it again and check that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2018, 12:19:20 pm »
Still plenty of Daily Mail links being posted.

:butt
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Still plenty of Daily Mail links being posted.

:butt
Report it if you see it :wave

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Report it if you see it :wave

I do so everytime
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline scouser102002

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 12:53:50 pm »
It shouldn't be about the publication/paper but more about the author/journalist.

For e.g. a Dominic King article in the Daily Mail is going to be far more reliable that a random journalist's article in the Mirror.

Goal.com is not deemed reliable, however the Liverpool correspondent for Goal is Neil Jones, formally of the Echo, therefore a Goal.com article by Neil Jones is going to be highly credible.

And there are many more examples.

Author/journalist not the publication.

Obviously the Sun is an exception.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 08:17:37 pm »
Still seeing far too many links to Daily Mail articles.

:no

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 08:19:12 pm »
It shouldn't be about the publication/paper but more about the author/journalist.

For e.g. a Dominic King article in the Daily Mail is going to be far more reliable that a random journalist's article in the Mirror.

Author/journalist not the publication.

It's not about the reliability of an article in the case of the Daily Mail, it's the fact that it is a fascist rag

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 05:41:39 pm »
Still seeing far too many links to Daily Mail articles.

:no

Offline VickyR27

• Boys Pen
« Reply #22 on: November 4, 2018, 10:03:59 pm »
RAWK has a policy of accepting certain media sources when starting threads on news heard or written about the club.

This list is not exhaustive but gives clear guidence to what's allowed and not.

Twitter sources are not allowed unless from an official site and really, unless its the madness of the Transfer Forum, you shouldn't be starting a new thread based on a tweet anyway.

Clearly as Jon Hall's thread in this board states, quoting from the Sun will get you banned/muted at least and is just a no-no.

This is the list as posted in the Transfer Forum when open:

I'd like to add
Talksport Radio to that list.

Also the Times has a paywall so quoting reports from there is likely to infringe copyright and get us into trouble.

thanks.
What about Joe.com, and/or anything by Melissa Reddy? Are they acceptable sources?
VickyR27 - Up the Reds

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 8, 2018, 05:21:54 pm »
Melissa Reddy is a highly credible and respected journalist so using her as a source on this site is fine.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Still seeing far too many links to the Daily Mail  :no

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Still seeing loads of links to the Daily mail

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2019, 06:07:52 pm »
FFS when are people going to learn.

No daily mail links on this site