Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3304955 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #23560 on: May 6, 2020, 11:53:49 am »
I’m pretty sure that I would never watch a single match of football again in my life if we were denied the chance to confirm this title. Also it is in no way an overreaction - just an adequate response to the size of injustice if that came to pass.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23561 on: May 6, 2020, 12:21:07 pm »
Hmm, I was not expecting that reaction at all. Fair enough if you want to disagree with me (after all, I’m just giving my own personal point-of-view on it so there is more than enough room to contest it), but snide remarks and people questioning my support of the team? That seems a bit uncalled for.

I think it’s important to remember that the only thing (the majority of) members on this forum will have in common is that they support Liverpool. We don’t all think in the exact same way on everything - for example, a lot of people were completely fine after we lost to Watford because we were so far clear and it’s just one defeat, whereas it properly ruined my night! We went to The Grapes after watching it and I couldn’t even speak because losing felt so bad for no good reason other than it had been a long time since it had happened in a league match.

It’s the exact same thing here. Some of us think differently. It’s not a massive deal. If I’ve wound some of you up by saying what I said then I apologise because maybe it’s not what you wanted to read and we’ve been in lockdown for so long that everything is amplified, but even so, Phil did a good job of just disagreeing with me and giving his reasons for that, so I think the rest of you could have easily done the same.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #23562 on: May 6, 2020, 12:34:14 pm »
I did not question your support for the team. It's just that I'm surprised any Liverpool fan can feel that way after not having won it for 30 years and when the time finally comes, be fine with getting stolen from us. That's all.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23563 on: May 6, 2020, 12:36:39 pm »
I did not question your support for the team. It's just that I'm surprised any Liverpool fan can feel that way after not having won it for 30 years and when the time finally comes, be fine with getting stolen from us. That's all.

Fair enough mate, thank you for clarifying that for me.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #23564 on: May 6, 2020, 12:53:04 pm »
Hmm, I was not expecting that reaction at all. Fair enough if you want to disagree with me (after all, I’m just giving my own personal point-of-view on it so there is more than enough room to contest it), but snide remarks and people questioning my support of the team? That seems a bit uncalled for.

I think it’s important to remember that the only thing (the majority of) members on this forum will have in common is that they support Liverpool. We don’t all think in the exact same way on everything - for example, a lot of people were completely fine after we lost to Watford because we were so far clear and it’s just one defeat, whereas it properly ruined my night! We went to The Grapes after watching it and I couldn’t even speak because losing felt so bad for no good reason other than it had been a long time since it had happened in a league match.

It’s the exact same thing here. Some of us think differently. It’s not a massive deal. If I’ve wound some of you up by saying what I said then I apologise because maybe it’s not what you wanted to read and we’ve been in lockdown for so long that everything is amplified, but even so, Phil did a good job of just disagreeing with me and giving his reasons for that, so I think the rest of you could have easily done the same.

You sound like a reasonable person, here; I just don't understand your reasoning. I'm the polar opposite of you in that I tend to get worked up about all kinds of shit to do with the club, the way people percieve us and speak about us in the media, in even in the most minute ways, bugs the shit out of me half the time and has me on tenterhooks all the time. I think anyone calling for the league to be null and void should be treated with contempt by all Liverpool fans. Some are citing the Dutch example as the one the Premier League should follow, completely ignoring the differences in the two cases. Two teams are nearly tied at the top of the table in Holland, with more games left to play than we have. Awarding the title to either one of those teams would be an injustice. The PL teams have an average of 9 games remaining to play, and one team is 25 points clear at the top: a way better than the position of the Bundesliga teams, La Liga or the likes of PSG. All partisanship aside, I don't know how anyone can say that not awarding the title to the team with a 25-point lead and 9 games left to play is anything other than a gross, gross, gross injustice. It sickens me to even think of it. We the fans, the team & the coaching staff who've done such an incredible job over the last 4 years, the owners ... we all deserve this title.

Now, people are shamefully strategising how to use a global pandemic to either diminish Liverpool's achievements or refuse to give us what we worked so hard and performed excellently throughout a whole season for... Talking about asterisks and all kinds of bullshit. It's completely unfair and undermines not just the integrity of the sport but more so everything we've done and still do as supporters.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23565 on: May 6, 2020, 01:04:31 pm »
You sound like a reasonable person, here; I just don't understand your reasoning. I'm the polar opposite of you in that I tend to get worked up about all kinds of shit to do with the club, the way people percieve us and speak about us in the media, in even in the most minute ways, bugs the shit out of me half the time and has me on tenterhooks all the time. I think anyone calling for the league to be null and void should be treated with contempt by all Liverpool fans. Some are citing the Dutch example as the one the Premier League should follow, completely ignoring the differences in the two cases. Two teams are nearly tied at the top of the table in Holland, with more games left to play than we have. Awarding the title to either one of those teams would be an injustice. The PL teams have an average of 9 games remaining to play, and one team is 25 points clear at the top: a way better than the position of the Bundesliga teams, La Liga or the likes of PSG. All partisanship aside, I don't know how anyone can say that not awarding the title to the team with a 25-point lead and 9 games left to play is anything other than a gross, gross, gross injustice. It sickens me to even think of it. We the fans, the team & the coaching staff who've done such an incredible job over the last 4 years, the owners ... we all deserve this title.

Now, people are shamefully strategising how to use a global pandemic to either diminish Liverpool's achievements or refuse to give us what we worked so hard and performed excellently throughout a whole season for... Talking about asterisks and all kinds of bullshit. It's completely unfair and undermines not just the integrity of the sport but more so everything we've done and still do as supporters.

Thank you for this response mate. I hear you completely and don’t disagree that the way certain people and clubs are acting at the moment is reprehensible. I’ve always maintained that there is a massive anti-Scouse sentiment to eat supporters of other teams view Liverpool and it’s bewildered me for a long time. Thatcher had a big part to play in it but even so, 30 years on from her leaving office I’m so surprised that the hatred still runs just as deep (if not more). It got me down for a number of years actually. I’m so proud to be from where I am and feel like if the whole country was more like Scousers then we’d be in a much better position, so don’t get me wrong, I get why people are dreading the thought of horrible people being able to gloat.

Hopefully this is a pointless discussion though. I have a feeling that the league has already been awarded to us, but they’re just working out the best and safest mechanism to do it. Ideally it will be by completing the season but if not, I’m sure they will find a way to award us it.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #23566 on: May 6, 2020, 01:06:41 pm »

You couldn't speak after losing one game but you'd be fine with us essentially losing the league? Right.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23567 on: May 6, 2020, 01:17:52 pm »
You couldn't speak after losing one game but you'd be fine with us essentially losing the league? Right.

I was sorely disappointed after the Watford match because it was such a crap result and performance. There are also environmental factors which you have to take into account. It was a Saturday night and the plan was to watch Liverpool move another three points closer to the title and then stay out and enjoy ourselves. When that didn’t happen, I was gutted. The thing is I knew it was an overreaction but it’s just the way it sometimes. I’m only human.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #23568 on: May 6, 2020, 01:19:59 pm »
I was sorely disappointed after the Watford match because it was such a crap result and performance. There are also environmental factors which you have to take into account. It was a Saturday night and the plan was to watch Liverpool move another three points closer to the title and then stay out and enjoy ourselves. When that didn’t happen, I was gutted. The thing is I knew it was an overreaction but it’s just the way it sometimes. I’m only human.

That's not the curious part. I was gutted after Watford as well, although not to the extent of numerous other high-profile defeats I can think of, as I knew we were still going to win the league.  The curious part is you've said you're not bothered about whether the latter happens or not!

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23569 on: May 6, 2020, 01:32:59 pm »
That's not the curious part. I was gutted after Watford as well, although not to the extent of numerous other high-profile defeats I can think of, as I knew we were still going to win the league.  The curious part is you've said you're not bothered about whether the latter happens or not!

I suppose a simplified version of my point would be that I’m going to celebrate Liverpool winning the league regardless of the outcome, because either we play out the season and win it, we end the season artificially and win it or they cancel the season when we were 25 points clear. Is it really that much of an issue if I choose to do that?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #23570 on: May 6, 2020, 01:50:44 pm »
I suppose a simplified version of my point would be that I’m going to celebrate Liverpool winning the league regardless of the outcome, because either we play out the season and win it, we end the season artificially and win it or they cancel the season when we were 25 points clear. Is it really that much of an issue if I choose to do that?
Are you sure you haven’t had a recent bump on the head? ;D

I’m only kidding ya by the way, you can of course think whatever you want. In the real world though there’s a huge difference between options 1/2 and option 3. A crucial difference. THE crucial difference. No shiny pot.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23571 on: May 6, 2020, 01:54:18 pm »
Are you sure you haven’t had a recent bump on the head? ;D

I’m only kidding ya by the way, you can of course think whatever you want. In the real world though there’s a huge difference between options 1/2 and option 3. A crucial difference. THE crucial difference. No shiny pot.

That’s all the encouragement I needed mate, nice one! 😉

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23572 on: May 6, 2020, 01:56:36 pm »
That’s all the encouragement I needed mate, nice one! 😉
;D you’re welcome.

I did only write that though because of your big monologue explaining that people are entitled to their own views :D  I hadn’t considered that before ;)
« Last Edit: May 6, 2020, 02:02:35 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23573 on: May 6, 2020, 02:09:45 pm »
I wonder if it might be your subconscious protecting you from the thought of dealing with the worst case scenario in the way that most probably would. I’d react very badly, I know I would. By making peace with it now you’ve prepared yourself for the worst. You’ve probably got it right after all!!

As you say though, hopefully won’t be relevant.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23574 on: May 6, 2020, 02:31:49 pm »
I wonder if it might be your subconscious protecting you from the thought of dealing with the worst case scenario in the way that most probably would. I’d react very badly, I know I would. By making peace with it now you’ve prepared yourself for the worst. You’ve probably got it right after all!!

As you say though, hopefully won’t be relevant.

You’ve probably got it spot on here, to be fair! I’m a worrier by nature, so something I often do in order to try and deal with that is to put everything that’s out of my control to one side. This debacle obviously falls into that category, so there’s a chance that it’s a coping mechanism on my part.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23575 on: May 6, 2020, 02:48:53 pm »
Some right too cool for school pricks in here. Think they are "fans" the same way some are "fans" of England i.e. happy if they win but not too arsed if they lose, its weird attention seeking shit, done purposefully.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23576 on: May 6, 2020, 03:06:16 pm »
Some right too cool for school pricks in here. Think they are "fans" the same way some are "fans" of England i.e. happy if they win but not too arsed if they lose, its weird attention seeking shit, done purposefully.

Zero need for the name calling like.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23577 on: May 6, 2020, 03:21:06 pm »
Yeah, bit harsh.

“Prick” is bad enough, but calling someone an England fan. That’s below the belt :D

Let’s be civil eh.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23578 on: May 6, 2020, 03:25:38 pm »
Used England fan off the top of my head, I mean someone who has a passing interest in a team just to be part of the conversation. Didn't name anyone as a prick but you know if the cap fits - get on with it.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23579 on: May 6, 2020, 03:37:18 pm »
Used England fan off the top of my head, I mean someone who has a passing interest in a team just to be part of the conversation. Didn't name anyone as a prick but you know if the cap fits - get on with it.

Haha! Fair enough.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #23580 on: May 6, 2020, 03:56:14 pm »
Yeah, bit harsh.

“Prick” is bad enough, but calling someone an England fan. That’s below the belt :D

Let’s be civil eh.

:lmao

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23581 on: May 6, 2020, 04:11:02 pm »
Flat Earthers 2 was great. Not so much a football podcast as much as it is a thesis on how football can transport you to the heights of elation to the depths of despair while simultaneously being entirely unimportant at its very core but incredibly important all at the same time.

Basically, a mind-fuck that never stops.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #23582 on: May 6, 2020, 08:06:35 pm »
Flat Earthers 2 was great. Not so much a football podcast as much as it is a thesis on how football can transport you to the heights of elation to the depths of despair while simultaneously being entirely unimportant at its very core but incredibly important all at the same time.

Basically, a mind-fuck that never stops.

I love the more philosophical shows. AFQ and Wildcards and especially Agony Hour are great distraction pieces but FE2 and the What Nexts are great. I think it's why I miss WWCH too - the chance to look at what it all meant in hindsight.

Regarding my reaction if they cancel it: I'd knock Anfield on the head and go non-league groundhopping. Not sure I could get up for the stress again and can you just imagine how much utter gobshitery will be about in the media and Premier League fanbases? It would utterly remove any joy.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23583 on: May 6, 2020, 08:15:48 pm »
Good, fair and balanced discussion on Souness today. Damian Kavanagh is always worth a listen to, especially on some of the older stuff the others weren’t there for.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23584 on: May 7, 2020, 08:42:36 am »
Good, fair and balanced discussion on Souness today. Damian Kavanagh is always worth a listen to, especially on some of the older stuff the others weren’t there for.

He's one of the best contributors and while it appears that he's definitely liked by everyone I do like that he seems to be outside of the TAW bubble. I don't he's ever been on AFQ for example.

Online Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23585 on: May 7, 2020, 11:35:13 am »
I love the more philosophical shows. AFQ and Wildcards and especially Agony Hour are great distraction pieces but FE2 and the What Nexts are great. I think it's why I miss WWCH too - the chance to look at what it all meant in hindsight.
I think the On This Day shows are touching on a lot of things WWCH did.  The Souness and Owen chat on yesterday was a good example of this. 

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #23586 on: May 7, 2020, 11:43:36 am »
Great this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w9VI9iFRsmQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w9VI9iFRsmQ</a>
:D

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23587 on: May 8, 2020, 10:07:45 am »
Hi gang, for anyone who's feeling a bit blue or disconnected from what was once our lives the Desert Island Goals with Colin Murray is an absolute tonic. Best listened to with a beer or a glass of wine. Brilliant tactics from Gibbo. He just got out of the way. Great show. well in all (2) concerned.

Offline Red Skeleton

• Main Stander
« Reply #23588 on: May 9, 2020, 02:47:14 am »
Is it possible to listen to the hot mic stuff later or is it only available live?  I'd like to watch/listen to some of these but the timing doesn't work well for me.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23589 on: May 9, 2020, 08:56:30 am »
Is it possible to listen to the hot mic stuff later or is it only available live?  I'd like to watch/listen to some of these but the timing doesn't work well for me.

Yeah they're on the app after the event.

Offline Red Skeleton

• Main Stander
« Reply #23590 on: May 9, 2020, 08:23:59 pm »
Thanks.  Are they only watchable through the app? App doesn’t work on my oldish phone (iphone 5)

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #23591 on: May 11, 2020, 01:18:22 pm »
Re: What’s Next? Part Five. Surprise surprise, the premier league turkey teams are deciding not to vote for Christmas. If I was the meeting invigilator for the Premier league I'd want to be saying to the 20 clubs, "apart from those of you whose self interest is preventing you from voting against any teams dropping, who wants to end the season now?". The naked opportunism should not effect the serious discussion required.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
« Reply #23592 on: May 11, 2020, 02:37:40 pm »
Listening to Wildcards and Neil's shout that David Silva is overrated and never really been a main player at City is, indeed, wild.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23593 on: May 11, 2020, 03:19:02 pm »
Listening to Wildcards and Neil's shout that David Silva is overrated and never really been a main player at City is, indeed, wild.

Yeah I’d say he’s been pretty integral to their success (although he has a fair argument to say Yaya and Kev the Red have been more influential).

Enjoyed and agreed with Rob’s shout of Harry Kane though.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #23594 on: May 11, 2020, 04:48:58 pm »
Yeah I’d say he’s been pretty integral to their success (although he has a fair argument to say Yaya and Kev the Red have been more influential).
Aguero and Kompany too, he could drop pretty far down that hypothetical list.  I was droning on to a mate recently about him not being on top twenty epl foreigners but he was having none of it.  He was laughing in my face when I was giving twenty better imports and said Torres.  Some people just see the world differently.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23595 on: May 11, 2020, 05:59:05 pm »
No Anfield Wrap show today?

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23596 on: May 11, 2020, 06:24:33 pm »
No Anfield Wrap show today?

They said they were doing it after the PL meeting. Guess it'll be out tonight

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23597 on: May 11, 2020, 07:26:58 pm »

Cheers, i wondered if that was the case.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23598 on: May 11, 2020, 07:59:00 pm »

They said it will be out tomorrow I think. They normally record it on a Monday but decided to wait in case there were any outcomes from today’s meeting.

Online Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23599 on: May 12, 2020, 03:15:50 am »
Aguero and Kompany too, he could drop pretty far down that hypothetical list.  I was droning on to a mate recently about him not being on top twenty epl foreigners but he was having none of it.  He was laughing in my face when I was giving twenty better imports and said Torres.  Some people just see the world differently.
Torres had one great season in his time in the PL - 07/08.

Nowhere near being in the top 20.