Author Topic: Total Control: How Our New Midfield Will Elevate LFC  (Read 5489 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Total Control: How Our New Midfield Will Elevate LFC
« on: August 20, 2004, 10:39:15 am »
By the time you read this, Liverpool FC could have their most exciting midfield for nearly two decades, and one to rival Arsenal's - the perfect current model (although Arsenal still have better depth to theirs, but their squad has been assembled over many years), and Man U's from the 1990s, when they bossed the centre of the park. Those who thought Steven Gerrard might be irked by his mate Michael leaving, will now realise how pleased he will be - seeing quality players making their way into our club to play alongside him.

Xabi Alonso is a player Real Madrid wanted to sign, and the club's legendary ex-player Michel said Alonso had much more to his game than Vieira; being a Spaniard, you felt Madrid would rather overlook Alonso for a foreign superstar. Benitez goes for super players, not superstars. He is building a team, not a collection of trophies (and by that, I mean that at Madrid the superstars are the trophies; and yet the more they procure, the less silverware they seem to collect).

After Alonso comes Garcia, reportedly in Liverpool for his medical. He is a player the Barca management team would dearly love to keep. He has been scoring goals for fun from midfield this pre-season for the Catalan side. But they've spent heavily in other areas, so it seems Riikjard is losing a player he was looking to, as Barca look to build on the amazing second-half to last season. When you get players from top clubs, and they would rather not be selling, you know you're onto a potential winner.

Some have questioned the wisdom of signing Nunez, a Real Madrid reserve. I felt it was a really good bit of business, but you have to say the lad will now find it twice as hard to settle into English football, as by the time he is fit again, the Premiership players will be match fit. Maybe the other players will be looking at him and thinking "what have we got here?" as he fell over and twisted his knee in his first training session. It could have been freakishly poor luck; or he may be one of those players who fall over a blade of grass. I suspect the former, as Rafa likes tough but skillful players. He's not into lightweight luxuries (even Aimar, at Valencia, is a tough cookie). The positive aspect is that Nunez can have more time to settle in England and get some reserve matches under his belt; expectations will be lower.

Garcia, meanwhile, is a left-sided midfielder (although reports differ on that!) who, like Kewell, can play behind the main striker. While one could quite easily switch to the right (in the way Pires plays better on the opposite flank, cutting in on his favoured foot), there is always the option of playing 4-5-1, the formation Rafa favoured in Spain. With Owen, Baros and Cisse, it almost demanded two play while one rested - something I suggested even before Rafa took over at Liverpool; now we've only got two established strikers, there is less talent to make use of. Sticking with two strikers could present problems if one gets injured; Pongolle will play an important role this season, but he is still raw.

Should it come to it, I've no problem with Kewell playing off of Cisse or Baros. I think Harry is great in that role; he's a natural finisher, and great in the air. As he showed against Graz, for the second goal, he sees others in the box.

Either way, Rafa wants to see width. It doesn't always have to come from "wingers". Arsenal get theirs from Cole at full-back, and Henry drifting wide. It will be interesting to see how our wide midfielders work in tandem with the full-backs. I don't feel Riise is a good overlapping full-back; he's a good attacking full-back, but doesn't go wide to cross or hit the byline, instead preferring to cut inside and work a shooting opportunity. When he did that under GH, there was no-one out wide to act as a decoy and provide him that space inside, and he often ran into a crowd. Similarly, if someone stays out wide, Riise would have the option of playing the ball out there. Carragher was never any good at attacking, while Josemi appears to have the pace to get forward and make a nuisance of himself. So that's an area already improved.

Even if they swap and change, you want players out wide when in possession, opening up the pitch. Narrow midfields, as we had under GH, keep things tight, and when your team doesn't have the ball it makes sense to go narrow and "compact". But width - lacking under GH when we attacked - gives you greater options when on the ball, and it also makes it easier to go through the heart of teams, as they can't afford to have their defenders so close to one another if full-backs have got one eye on our wide players.

The New Man: Alonso

As I write, Xabi Alonso is undergoing a medical at Liverpool. Yet again (as with Cisse), a player has chosen us despite overtures from other - supposedly more glamorous - clubs. Players still want to play for our club, and also for our manager. It can only lead to good things.

A couple of nights ago I had my first proper look at Alonso, as I went on a scouting mission: studying the video of the match, broadcast on TVEi, Spanish national TV, where Alonso came on as a 64th minute substitute.

It's hardly the ideal amount of time to make an impression, and I expected to see him make the occasional pass, and the final whistle to blow. I wasn't expecting much in the circumstances. In truth, he was involved more in those 26 minutes than many players are in 90. I could see for myself what others had commented on: the lad is class, pure and simple.

He is tall (6ft 1, I believe), and looks slightly ungainly when he runs, but looks quite sturdy and fairly well-built. On the ball, he is transformed: he looks full of grace.

In his first five minutes on the pitch, there were three occasions where he sprinted (looking encouragingly quick, but not super-quick) to dispossess an opponent in a very Didi-like fashion, nicking the ball away rather than needing to make a full-blooded tackle. If you can read the game well and react quickly, and then have the pace to act, you don't need to go flying into challenges. The second of these interceptions led to a goal.

What I liked most about him was his first touch: always the perfect weight; not as in the case of certain (unnamed) players, where their first touch is closer to a shot on goal, but also making sure he gets the ball out of his feet. It was always just perfect. Instead of just receiving the ball and then thinking "um, what now?", he turned his body half-on to the ball, anticipating his next move; always turning to where the space was. Always looking around, finding space, finding time. Totally unhurried. When in possession, he had the air of a magician like Glenn Hoddle, who could make the ball do what he wanted; I'm not sure if he can hit 70-yards passes to feet like Hoddle (although reports say Alonso's long-range passing is special, I still don't expect it to match up to Hoddle's or Molby's), but of course he made more tackles in 26 minutes than Hoddle made in 18 years. And he did covered more ground than Molby did in 18 years.

While I rated Danny Murphy's ability to spot a pass, this guy has the awareness that Danny lacked; sometimes Danny would see something special, but other times he dallied and dawdled, and never seemed to know his next move until the ball was under control. Alonso will have less time on the ball in England than he did in this particular game, but players this good can always find solutions to new problems.

I'm a big critic of the weight of a pass; too many pros just can't judge it properly, even with ten or 20-yard passes. Alonso's passing was unerringly inch-perfect, whatever the distance: always running the ball into someone's path, rather than at them or behind them. Oh, apart from the one stray pass he made (and another 40-yarder was delightful, but cut-out by a desperate defensive lunge).

I don't see Alonso as a box-to-box player, as some people have suggested (or hoped for). He'll play in front of the back four, but unlike Didi, who does a great job there breaking things up, Xabi will be the springboard to our attacks rather than just a conduit moving the ball on without imagination. Gone are the days of Hyypia passing five yards to Hamann, only for Gerrard to come back and take the ball from him, and start to direct play - or Didi simply laying it back to Sami. With Carragher's passing against Spurs looking very crisp (always on the deck, and did he give a single ball away?), we can build attacks gradually, through the middle of the park, as opposed to launching them like hand-grenades - where the pin is pulled, the missile launched, and you hope for an explosion within a handful of seconds. To continue the analogy without wishing to get bogged down in too much war imagery, instead of one all-out assault, we will have skilled assassins approaching from all angles. We will be using stealth and intelligence, not looking for the quick, easy and explosive outcome that backfired so much in the last two seasons.

Alonso will advance to the edge of the opposing area on occasions, but his main work will be done either side of the halfway line. He is being bought to control the tempo of games. Love him or loathe him (okay, we all loathe him), but in his prime (i.e. before the sad sight he has now become), Roy Keane's biggest strength was that he controlled the tempo of a Man U performance. His passing over distance has never been anything special, but he used to patrol the centre of the park, knocking balls at the right time to the right people. He was box-to-box, but not like Lampard, who goes from box into box - just as Gerrard will this season.

While I think Steven Gerrard is a far better player than Keane in nearly every other respect, Gerrard cannot control the tempo of a game in the way Keane, at his best, could; Gerrard can inject a new tempo, a new burst of aggression, but it is always full-on attack. He has yet to learn to slow a game down; Alonso, it appears, has that knack already, at just 22. Maybe Gerrard's strength is that he is so direct and positive in everything he does, but if we need to kill games off at 1-0 or 2-0 up, Alonso can help take the sting out of a game, and get everyone keeping the ball.

What Alonso offers that Keane and Hamann could never is long-range passing ability, and exceptional vision. If Alonso only gets to within 40 yards of the opposing box, it only takes him a 20-yard pass into the strikers to unlock a defence. He doesn't need to be busting a gut to get into the box. Similarly, if he is picking the ball up deep, he'll be able to lay it simple, or, if it is on, find the raking ball to the midfield runners - and Gerrard, Kewell and Garcia (if he signs, too), will be only too willing.

If I had to make comparisons, I'd combine two I've already mentioned: I'd say Alonso has some of Hoddle's elegance, but also Didi's tenacity and ability to break up attacks. That makes for a pretty special player in my eyes.

It may still be too soon to expect a title challenge, as these players will need time to settle and adapt. This season is a transitional one - we must never lose sight of that. But it's clear that Rafa is taking the nucleus of great players left to him by GH, and adding his own - the missing ingredients? The final pieces to the puzzle? We've heard that before. But new players, in a new system, with new direction and leadership from the manager, to me offers new hope.

© Paul Tomkins 2004
« Last Edit: September 9, 2005, 02:35:51 am by Rushian »

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Total Control: How Our New Midfield Will Elevate LFC
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 11:04:23 am »
great post, makes me feel quite excited at the prospect of Alonso gracing the pitch with Stevie

Offline DaveJ

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:26:34 am »
Paul, superbly written as ever. You're a credit to our club.

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 11:35:22 am »
Great stuff as always, Paul - I enjoyed reading that.  :wellin

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 11:35:46 am »
hehe I'm trying everything to keep a level head:   tell myself not to over expect that our exciting signings will need time to adapt (and to get over freak incidents) - blah blah blah!    Then I read this article, and could only jump up and down with a big silly smile ;)

Can't wait for the next match.  Boys, now show your new teammates what you are capable of!  ;D

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 12:44:56 pm »
Barca were awful during the 1st half of last season. But they were a transformed outfit from January till the end of the season, eventually eclipsing Real Madrid  for 2nd behind Rafa's Valencia. The talk was all about Ronaldinho and Davids making the difference. I did track their progress every now and then and have to agree that Ronaldinho was supreme and Davids, though spending most of the time as a more subdued left sided midfielder, combined well with van Bronkhorst to threaten down the left flank. But the real reason for Barca's strong show I feel was due to the changes made by Rijkaard, tactically and personnel wise (not just the addition of Davids)

Two unfamiliar names that caught my attention was Oleguer (the right back with Puyol moving to the centre of defence) and Luis Garcia. Is Garcia a left sided midfielder? Unlikely since Davids was playing there and I saw him on the right more often than not. He appeared to be two footed, shifty, played in advance position (an attacking midfielder) and made goals.

I think Garcia is going to do well for us.  :)
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 01:49:57 pm »
That has to be the most thorough and insightful scouting report I have ever read on 26 minutes watched on television.   Either you are a prophet, the best scout to never win a professional contract the world has ever seen, or maybe overstating the case a little.   I suggest that we might all be getting carried away too soon.  I hope that you are right, of course I do.  But I wonder what you would have made of watching 26 minutes of Veron playing for Lazio, or after Cheyrou's friendly performance at Anfield against Lazio?

Superbly written though, and I have a smile that would blind Dwight Yorke.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 01:58:29 pm »
That has to be the most thorough and insightful scouting report I have ever read on 26 minutes watched on television.   Either you are a prophet, the best scout to never win a professional contract the world has ever seen, or maybe overstating the case a little. 

Of course, it was written with the knowledge of what others have said, such as Michel - it's just a question of watching to see for yourself what better judges have seen. He was quality, but had I never heard of him, I might have felt it was a one-off, a fluke - that he had bags of ability but rarely produced it.

I felt like those managers who turn up to watch a player and leave after twenty minutes, telling the chairman "I've seen enough - sign the lad". Can he control the ball? - expertly. Can he pass the ball? - expertly. It's not a fluke to play football with that much style and poise. You only need to see 20 minutes of Zidane to know he's something special - it's the way he moves, the way he controls, the way he passes. I'm not saying Alonso is as good, but everything he did had the hallmark of class.

Can he hack it in the Premiership? That's another question. I'd like to think so - very much so, as he looks too good to not be able to.

Offline red 17

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 02:14:14 pm »
Hi, have been viewing on here for last month or so but first post.  :wave   Just thought I'd add that Gerry Armstrong, who is an expert on Spanish football, was on Skysports News at lunchtime saying that he thought Garcia is an excellent player and that we made a top quality purchase. He also said that he couldn't believe the price was only 6 million as he thought he was worth a lot more. He is 'a steal' according to him.  8)

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 03:01:27 pm »

Aye, all the reports so far from anyone concerned with the game have been the Xabi is class. I think one of the most encouraging aspects of your post (for me anyway) was the lad's ability to control and pass a footy. Pro footballers should all be able to do this without exception in my opinion, (as well as use both their feet properly) yet too many can't. The reason I say they should all be able to do it is that it is something you can improve with practice, unlike, say a footballing brain, or eye for a pass. For the last little while we've had far too many players who haven't looked comfortable on the ball, and though I suspect it was partly to do with the previous regime's tactics I genuinely believe that we're going to see a return to a more elegant passing and moving game, and to do that we need the type of player Xabi seems to be.

Anyway, that post, as a lot of yours do, has left the suitable amount of feelgood factor - can't wait for us to take on Bolton and see Alonso / Gerrard in action together (just gutted that he won't be registered in time for Saturday, even though he probably wouldn't have played...)

:thumbup bring it on!

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 03:21:34 pm »
Hi, have been viewing on here for last month or so but first post.  :wave   Just thought I'd add that Gerry Armstrong, who is an expert on Spanish football, was on Skysports News at lunchtime saying that he thought Garcia is an excellent player and that we made a top quality purchase. He also said that he couldn't believe the price was only 6 million as he thought he was worth a lot more. He is 'a steal' according to him.  8)

:wave

Always good to hear! As you say, Armstrong knows his Spanish football.

Rafa is buying quality players for specific roles. Going back to the earlier point, Veron was bought by Ferguson but he never used him properly, and Veron also seemed to lack the heart for the game here, then was injured during his time at Chelsea. No one who saw him play in Italy doubts his quality. As for Cheyrou, he was talented, but too weak mentally and physically for the game here (and he had been told that he needed to toughen up in French football, so what chance did he stand here?).

Alonso seems made of sterner stuff, physically and mentally, but you just have to hope that the players settle. He's also younger and hungier than someone like Veron, whilst being more experienced (internationally, certainly) than Cheyrou, who was uncapped when he signed.

Offline Flight

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 03:21:48 pm »
Tremendous article Paul, a joy to read.

Offline SM Online

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
    • LIVERPOOL FC
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 07:44:05 pm »
there is always the option of playing 3-5-1, the formation Rafa favoured in Spain.
He favoured to play with 10 men????

None the less very good post, made for good reading

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 08:48:20 pm »

He favoured to play with 10 men????

Doh!

Duly altered...  ;D

Offline StressedEric

• Main Stander
  • And they will never Walk Alone.
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 11:55:56 pm »
Really excellent post.

One thing though.

And he did covered more ground than Molby did in 18 years.

Do you mean by running...or literally? Cos Molby was kinda big...
Cut me, for I bleed RED

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2004, 06:50:17 am »
Nice post Paul....It's getting exciting (again) isnt it?  ;D
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 08:48:36 am »
Really excellent post.

One thing though.

Do you mean by running...or literally? Cos Molby was kinda big...

;D

Offline LFC GAN

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 12:16:20 pm »
Reading your post has left me with butterflies in my stomach and I suspect they will multiply the first time the new look midfield is finally unveiled in a live televised match.

I cannot contain how happy I am with the current purchases that Benetiz has made, particularly in Luis Garcia, who used to play with Benetiz at Tenerife - and was the leading light which got the club promoted under Rafa, scoring 16 goals from a wide left position - I just wonder how Garcia might affect Kewell's position in the team, though there is no doubt that we need cover for that position.

The purchase of Nunez and Garcia makes two out and out wingers which LFC have bought, while having shifted on 3 central players, who were often shunted out wide ( Le Tellac, Cheryou and Murphy). I think that this direction bodes well for the Rafalution and the style of play LFC will play this season.

The best I can say about Xabi Alonso, having watched him most of last season in Spain is that he is Danny Murphy and Didi Hamman all rolled into one player - I think that is the just the kind of player Liverpool needed to partner Gerrard in midfield, however, Xabi still does not fit into the class of Gerrard, Viera, Davids or Nedved, nor do I ever think will he reach that level, but you do not a team full of galacticos to win a title as Rafa showed in Spain with Valencia.

If Rafa could make one final purchase in midfield, assuming it would be a Spaniard - please Rafa buy Joaquin on the right wing - then we would have an awesome midfield failing that Van De Vaart. Do it Rafa, you know you want you.

Gan

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 8, 2004, 12:01:02 am »
Quality as usual.

I'm yet to see Alonso in action, but if he can control the tempo of games, has good passing skills and if he's supposed to play slightly behind Gerrard, then I like it a lot. He'll be worth everything we paid for him, because this is a type of player we've lacked for a while.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 9, 2005, 02:26:49 am »
A fanastic piece of insight/foresight Paul, not sure I believe you though when you say you only watched 26 minutes of Xabi play before writing that piece. :P