Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3470214 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #53560 on: August 1, 2021, 09:25:00 pm »
Minnie Driver

Good actress at her best in Good Will Hunting

8/10
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53561 on: August 2, 2021, 12:29:16 am »
Had a good run of films since the cinemas reopened.

A Quiet Place Part 2, Pig and The Green Knight - very different but enjoyed them all.

Pig was definitely the highlight of the bunch though. The Green Knight was an interesting watch but I had to do some reading afterwards to work out what the fuck was going on.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53562 on: August 2, 2021, 10:10:14 am »
I highly recommend Summer of Soul. A good watch and great music. How was this festival footage hidden away for so long?
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53563 on: August 2, 2021, 03:01:15 pm »
I highly recommend Summer of Soul. A good watch and great music. How was this festival footage hidden away for so long?

Incredible footage. They need to release a 10 hour cut with the full sets. Would watch.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53564 on: August 2, 2021, 03:19:49 pm »
There Will Be Blood

Fantastic performance by Daniel Day Lewis but not the type of movie I'd ever want to watch again

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53565 on: August 2, 2021, 03:21:10 pm »
Tremendous film that one

You've just made me watch Gangs of New York later as well  :wanker
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53566 on: August 2, 2021, 03:43:43 pm »
Tremendous film that one

You've just made me watch Gangs of New York later as well  :wanker

Now that movie I can watch many times and have.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #53567 on: August 2, 2021, 03:47:00 pm »
There Will Be Blood

Fantastic performance by Daniel Day Lewis but not the type of movie I'd ever want to watch again
A few fall into that bracket for me. I watched There Will Be Blood when it came out and have never had a compulsion to view it again, despite it being a tremendous piece of work with a truly great acting performance in it by DDL.

Requiem for a Dream is another, I can't bring myself to watch it again even though I thought it was excellent.

Looking forward to the Candyman (reboot/remake?) later this month.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2021, 03:49:05 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53568 on: August 2, 2021, 03:47:01 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-FmWuCgJmxo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-FmWuCgJmxo</a>

Looks terrible  :D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53569 on: August 2, 2021, 03:47:57 pm »
Requiem for a Dream is another, I can't bring myself to watch it again even though I thought it was excellent.

I tend to watch that after a Liverpool defeat, just to cheer myself up a bit.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53570 on: August 2, 2021, 04:00:05 pm »
Requiem for a dream is now unwatchable for me too.  Pity though as its a amazing film everyone should see just once.

Its also one movie every parent should encourage their teenage kids to watch prior to adulthood IMO.

Its the Sara Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn) story arc that makes it unwatchable again for me.  So sad.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53571 on: August 2, 2021, 04:27:11 pm »
Ellen Burstyn was brilliant in it. I mean, all four of the leads were but her performance was just heartbreaking.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #53572 on: August 2, 2021, 04:45:17 pm »
I watched Requiem for a Dream on a double bill with Audition. Both amazing though can't bring myself to watch either again. A sense of utter dread permeates both. 2nd date night with my girlfriend. Icy end to the night for sure!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53573 on: August 2, 2021, 05:08:32 pm »
Never seen Requiem for a Dream - is it better than Lost in Translation?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53574 on: August 2, 2021, 05:59:59 pm »

I mean, its no River Cruise Andy :)

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #53575 on: August 2, 2021, 06:01:01 pm »

Yeah and a good Disney film, you should get a few of the neighbourhood kids around to watch it with you

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53576 on: August 2, 2021, 06:06:41 pm »
Quite enjoyed Jungle Cruise, wore its influences on its sleeve. Part Pirates Of The Caribbean, African Queen, Romancing The Stone, but not as good as any of them.

However Johnson and Blunt are excellent in it and Disney can make as many films as they want based on theme park rides and I'll go and see it as long as they cast those two as the leads.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #53577 on: August 2, 2021, 06:40:18 pm »

Here he goes again.

:D

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53578 on: August 2, 2021, 06:43:01 pm »
Yeah and a good Disney film, you should get a few of the neighbourhood kids around to watch it with you

;D

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #53579 on: August 2, 2021, 06:45:28 pm »
Requiem for a dream is one of those great movies I never ever wanna watch again.

Like Happiness (1998)
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53580 on: August 2, 2021, 06:49:01 pm »
Requiem for a dream is one of those great movies I never ever wanna watch again.

Like Happiness (1998)

and Seven

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53581 on: August 2, 2021, 06:53:03 pm »
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53582 on: August 2, 2021, 10:28:08 pm »
There Will Be Blood is just truly spectacular. Still one of the best films of the 21st century. I rewatched it the other day and it is actually better on the second viewing. I think it is much more rewatchable than the other movies listed above.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53583 on: August 2, 2021, 11:47:31 pm »
Scum and Nil By Mouth are another two movies I can't rewatch when they come on.  Takes gritty realism to the max.

Ray Winstone comes in for a a bit of stick on here on occasion but he's been in some memorable movies to be fair.  Sexy Beast is marvellous too.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #53584 on: August 3, 2021, 12:28:04 am »

It's a mystery why nobody sought it out. I believe television stations at the time in New York showed a recap show, but these deserved a wider audience.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53585 on: August 3, 2021, 12:40:44 am »
It's a mystery why nobody sought it out. I believe television stations at the time in New York showed a recap show, but these deserved a wider audience.

It's briefly touched upon in the documentary, but I'd think the story around it being recorded, stored, forgotten, found and restored would make for another great documentary.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53586 on: August 3, 2021, 08:02:06 am »
La La Land.

What a film to watch during these uncertain times. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are dynamite, they should be in more films together.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2021, 10:57:36 am by AndyMuller »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53587 on: August 3, 2021, 08:30:59 am »
So is The Suicide Squad actually related to the first movie? Or is it like "yeah, that one was shit so we thought we'd try again"?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #53588 on: August 3, 2021, 08:47:10 am »
So is The Suicide Squad actually related to the first movie? Or is it like "yeah, that one was shit so we thought we'd try again"?

"yeah, that one was shit so we thought we'd try again"
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53589 on: August 3, 2021, 09:24:39 am »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53590 on: August 3, 2021, 09:53:05 am »
Has anyone watched it? I had high hopes based on James Gunn's involvement - he of Guardians of the Galaxy - but reviews early on are a mixed bag. The Guardian have had two reviews, one giving it 3 stars and one 4. The first film was absolutely beyond shite though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53591 on: August 3, 2021, 10:05:57 am »
I mean, its no River Cruise Andy :)

What are the fight scenes like?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53592 on: August 3, 2021, 10:46:18 am »
Has anyone watched it? I had high hopes based on James Gunn's involvement - he of Guardians of the Galaxy - but reviews early on are a mixed bag. The Guardian have had two reviews, one giving it 3 stars and one 4. The first film was absolutely beyond shite though.

The Guardian are fucking weird these days. They had a big 4 star review of Black Widow a couple of days before release then a couple of days after it was down to a 3 star review. Do we really need two reviews of the same thing?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53593 on: August 3, 2021, 10:52:51 am »
The Guardian are fucking weird these days. They had a big 4 star review of Black Widow a couple of days before release then a couple of days after it was down to a 3 star review. Do we really need two reviews of the same thing?
They often do that, produce multiple reviews with different writers, as well as sometimes featuring Kermode's review and co-hosting reviews with the Observer.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #53594 on: August 3, 2021, 11:49:44 am »
They often do that, produce multiple reviews with different writers, as well as sometimes featuring Kermode's review and co-hosting reviews with the Observer.

Yeah they used to have French and Bradshaw have competing reviews, plus Kermode and others

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #53595 on: August 3, 2021, 11:06:16 pm »
Yeah they used to have French and Bradshaw have competing reviews, plus Kermode and others
Yes, but you'd always avoid Bradshaw's reviews because he would say stuff like 'In the Sixth Sense, Bruce Willis plays a ghost who...'.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #53596 on: August 3, 2021, 11:48:03 pm »

Even the trailer is different and melts your brain, like others have said a classic film, but don't think I want to watch it twice

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-YDk89e1miY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-YDk89e1miY</a>
« Last Edit: August 4, 2021, 04:51:28 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #53597 on: August 4, 2021, 12:05:57 pm »
Add The Road to that list as well.

Call  :thumbup

The most persistently harrowing film I've ever seen.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #53598 on: August 4, 2021, 12:10:28 pm »

Put it this way...

Lost in Translation is like you are 14, in your bedroom with FHM and some tissues out and some vaseline ready.

Requiem for a Dream is your mum barging in "mid session" slapping you in the face and then kicking you hard in the balls.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53599 on: August 4, 2021, 12:24:35 pm »
ITS SHOWTIME!!