Author Topic: Stranger Things - Use Spoiler Tags  (Read 93893 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Re: Stranger Things - Season 2 Out Now - Use Spoiler Tags
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2016, 03:15:58 pm »
Loved it. The actors were magnificent - how good was Eleven? Stunning performance. I'm a huge Stephen King fan and it felt like he could have written the series; great music, had a really good feel.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2016, 03:31:33 pm »
Binge watched it this weekend, great show.

The 80's stuff was done perfectly IMO and wasn't heavy handed at all. Yeah, there were some direct reference to certain things but what was more impressive was the vibe and the atmosphere and they nailed it. I think I would've found it got old pretty quickly if all it was was that but it was a pretty great story in it's own right too which didn't drag as it could well have done with this type of show.

cant remember if it was the same episode where you could see The Thing poster in the background prominently and then the boys science teacher was watching it with a female friend and commenting on it? now i love me some The Thing but damn that was just over the top cringeworthy.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2016, 06:12:10 pm »
Watched two episodes last night, finished it half an hour ago.

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS BRILLIANT OH MY GODDDDDDD

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2016, 06:53:24 pm »
cant remember if it was the same episode where you could see The Thing poster in the background prominently and then the boys science teacher was watching it with a female friend and commenting on it? now i love me some The Thing but damn that was just over the top cringeworthy.

Yeah, there were also Evil Dead and Jaws posters shown in the show. I dunno, that kind of stuff didn't bother me as it felt authentic and not just window dressing. The 'sport 70's/80's film reference was fun too and again, it wasn't bothersome for me. I can see why it might bother other people though. Like I said, I think they nailed the vibe and atmosphere and that was the most important thing.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2016, 08:11:06 pm »
Binge watched it as the title suggests.

Loved it and all it's cheesy 80isms. ET bike chase, Poltegeist creatures living in the walls, Firestarter girl, Carrie, Jaws poster, Silkwood Pinto car, The Clash, Joy Division and the rest.

Old fucker remembers.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:17 pm »
Binge watched it as the title suggests.

Loved it and all it's cheesy 80isms. ET bike chase, Poltegeist creatures living in the walls, Firestarter girl, Carrie, Jaws poster, Silkwood Pinto car, The Clash, Joy Division and the rest.

Old fucker remembers.

Add to that: Stand By Me, the Goonies, Altered states, John Carpenter-style music, Close Encounters, the Dan O'Bannon character and a few other nods to Alien in the final episode. The whole thing was brilliantly done.

Offline BossThaLa82

• Main Stander
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2016, 11:00:33 am »
Take back saying this is nothing special it is quality!

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2016, 12:00:41 pm »
One of those great shows I just haven't wanted to binge, I want to draw it out as long as possible. Having said that I'm onto the final episode now, haven't wanted to tackle it for a couple days because I don't want it to end!
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2016, 12:07:52 pm »
I'll tell you what was inauthentic, the mention of The Smiths.

They live in a small Indiana town in 1983, in Stranger Things.

In late 1982 The Smiths were recording their first demos. Their first UK release was Hand In Glove in May 1983. Their debut LP came out February 1984.

They are a peculiarly English band, and although I'm sure a handful of NY cool kids loved them from the outset, there's absolutely no way that a little town in Indiana knew about them in 1983, not a chance whatsoever, sorry. Generally, it took the US a while to get onto the Smiths, and although they may seem like all the Portland types love them now, it most certainly was not the case in 1983. It's not like they had the internet, Spotify, YouTube, etc. Unless David got a visit from a Mancunian distant family member, no chance, no chance.

This is by far the most glaring historical inaccuracy in the show in my considered opinion.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2016, 12:24:20 pm »

In late 1982 The Smiths were recording their first demos. Their first UK release was Hand In Glove in May 1983. Their debut LP came out February 1984.

They are a peculiarly English band, and although I'm sure a handful of NY cool kids loved them from the outset, there's absolutely no way that a little town in Indiana knew about them in 1983, not a chance whatsoever, sorry. Generally, it took the US a while to get onto the Smiths, and although they may seem like all the Portland types love them now, it most certainly was not the case in 1983. It's not like they had the internet, Spotify, YouTube, etc. Unless David got a visit from a Mancunian distant family member, no chance, no chance.

This is by far the most glaring historical inaccuracy in the show in my considered opinion.

:lmao
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2016, 01:45:45 pm »

;D

Maybe Jonathan, being a bit of a loner, spent his evenings listening to a late night hipster radio station hosted by an American version of John Peel.

If I can accept monsters from parallel universes coming out of walls, I can stretch to that.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:14 pm »
The monsters are realistic, David getting the radio off his broadcast obsessed little brother, nah ;D

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2016, 04:00:34 pm »

Haha you are 100% right mate  ;D I noticed this as well, but I sort of let it go with an eye roll because the rest of it was so good  ;)
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2016, 04:27:37 pm »
Haha you are 100% right mate  ;D I noticed this as well, but I sort of let it go with an eye roll because the rest of it was so good  ;)

I had forgotten about it but when other people started picking holes I couldn't let it go ;D

glad I'm not the only total saddo ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2016, 07:04:25 pm »
Finally finished this, it was very well done. Ryder was brutal though, I hope her character is killed off early next season. The girl who plays eleven is an incredible talent, utterly incredible. She's got the expressive ability of someone who's been acting for twenty years. I read that they want to do more series with the same cast, which is disappointing given the lame cliffhanger ending. More original stories set in that time would be far more interesting IMO, this felt like it wrapped up perfectly.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2016, 08:55:14 pm »
Does Steve remind anyone of Jean-Ralphio from Parks and Recreation?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2016, 01:25:43 am »
On the third episode apart from 11 the rest of the show has been dreadful is it worth sticking with?

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2016, 02:38:58 am »

:lmao

Great shout
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2016, 05:55:50 am »
On the third episode apart from 11 the rest of the show has been dreadful is it worth sticking with?

If you haven't liked it so far you won't like it. For me it's a show that starts wonderfully and doesn't have a great second act.

;D very good

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2016, 09:33:30 am »
The girl who plays eleven is an incredible talent, utterly incredible. She's got the expressive ability of someone who's been acting for twenty years.

She was excellent really. Amazing performance when it's a kid we're talking about.

Hahaha well done, sir.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2016, 11:45:06 am »
There is a very bright future for the young actors and especially for Millie Bobby Brown (and she's a Brit :P )

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2016, 04:47:41 pm »

Maybe he was talking about a small local band of the same name, and you've never heard of them ;)
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2016, 09:16:58 pm »
I started watching Sons of Anarchy yesterday and watched 5 episodes straight off, and thought they were great. Thought I'd watch a couple more today and accidentally started this whilst I was sorting other stuff.

4 episodes into it I think SoA will have to wait a bit.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2016, 10:53:48 pm »
WOW!

11 is so fkin good

Overall I really enjoyed it but a few things bugged me (tend to get that when you binge - you see a lot more of the inconsistencies etc

Spoiler
Didn't like Winona much, bugged me that she was all haggard and stuff until 3 episodes from the end and then turned all black leather jacket and polo neck 

Mike was pretty good throughout but kept falling into this - 'Its you you could have saved Will but you didn't, and then was all nicey nice (that's kids though, little inconsistent fuckers)

Agree on Modine being wasted, he was quite sinister by his lack of emotion but given the size of everyone else's performance it came off as a bit meh

Felt the romance with Steve stuff was kind of filler to a degree

The whole Aliens thing at the end was wwaaayyyy out of nowhere and felt forced to me

Yes the bullies were shite, pulling a knife on Chunk? - Cmon

[close]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:58:53 pm by Igor Tripod Biscan »
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2016, 02:30:39 pm »
Eighties references in ST:

https://vimeo.com/175929311
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2016, 02:53:37 pm »

Nope if you haven't enjoyed the 1st 3 eps its not for you.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2016, 03:14:02 pm »
Great show, great soundtrack.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:04 pm »
Nope if you haven't enjoyed the 1st 3 eps its not for you.
I finished it and enjoyed don't know why I didn't enjoy the first few episodes, thought some of the adult actors were quite poor wills brother and mum especially.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2016, 03:30:38 pm »
I finished it and enjoyed don't know why I didn't enjoy the first few episodes, thought some of the adult actors were quite poor wills brother and mum especially.

I didn't have any complaints with most of the cast. I can see why some people got a bit tired of Winona's performance, she's pretty much at 11 from the start but I felt the show caught up with her eventually.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2016, 10:46:01 pm »

Offline pmcgrath

• Main Stander
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2016, 10:29:05 am »
Just finished it last night, would love to get hold of the soundtrack. Really good little show.

Anyone else think Mike looks exactly like Shelley Duvall...

There's a Spotify playlist for the songs featured in the show

https://open.spotify.com/user/netflixmusic/playlist/2X6z5kU0wMnKoar8i1RN6B

Official soundtrack is "coming soon"

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2016, 09:41:41 pm »
I was a little disappointed with the last couple of episodes to be honest.

Started off great, got better, and then just sort of seemed more interested in being a  parody movie of the era.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2016, 11:33:37 pm »
Good stuff, enjoyed that.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2016, 01:39:25 am »
I was a little disappointed with the last couple of episodes to be honest.

Started off great, got better, and then just sort of seemed more interested in being a  parody movie of the era.

The mystery is almost always better than the reveal with these shows, I'm used to it
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2016, 02:01:33 am »

Was thinking the exact same thing the second they were mentioned. :lmao Using New Order's Elegia is another anachronism. It didn't come out until 1985
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:45:11 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2016, 08:34:37 am »
Just started watching so will avoid the rest of the thread but just wondered if anyone else picked up the references to ET.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2016, 09:30:51 am »
Just started watching so will avoid the rest of the thread but just wondered if anyone else picked up the references to ET.

They're hard to miss throughout mate.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2016, 09:32:35 am »
Here - that's one of the best TV series' I've ever watched.

Not exaggerating.

Those kids are ALL going to be stars, particularly Eleven and the wee chubby boy with the dental condition.  He's hilarious.

Reminded me so much of Super 8/Stand By Me.  Some really moments combined with bucketloads of charm.

Loved it.  Roll on S2.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2016, 12:48:02 pm »

Having got through the first two episodes, there are tons of them. Very much a Goonies/ET/Stand By Me hybrid.