Author Topic: Stranger Things - Use Spoiler Tags  (Read 93678 times)

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
Re: Stranger Things - Season 2 Out Now - Use Spoiler Tags
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2016, 03:51:45 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_a1lp_ygGB4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_a1lp_ygGB4</a>
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2016, 10:32:21 pm »
Binge watched all 8 episodes over the course of a couple of days, absolutely fantastic little series. Not normally a fan of the horror genre because I struggle to suspend my disbelief for long enough to get into it but when it is combined with almost Sci-fi elements where there are explanations for the 'horrific' happenings I can enjoy it much more.

The child actors were absolutely fantastic, particularly the girl who played El. Loved the Sheriff's character as well and thought David Harbour did a great job of showing both a man who had given up on life and an honourable cop doing his absolute best to solve the case.

Are they going to do a second series? There's a lot more mileage in the concept I think.

Spoiler
And besides, surely they can't end it with Will still infected!?
[close]
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2016, 12:12:03 am »
Yes, a second, and the makers want several more.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2016, 07:51:18 pm »
Still can't get over how magnificent this show is. I've been telling everyone I know to watch it, that's how much I loved it.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2016, 09:37:10 am »
Watched the whole season in 1 day. Loved it. One of the best shows Ive seen.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2016, 12:22:24 pm »
Went through it over the last 3 nights, great stuff.

Overriding thoughts at the end:

Spoiler
Hasn't Will been through enough?
[close]

And

Spoiler
Justice for Barbara! Bring her back!
[close]

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2016, 04:11:16 am »
It had me from the beginning, but Elegia by New Order and the general doom synth soundtrack sealed the deal.
We are Liverpool!

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »
Season two has been confirmed

https://twitter.com/Stranger_Things/status/770961890985938944?s=09

I'd assume the list that comes up are the individual episode titles, and it's set about 10 months after the end of season 1
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 4, 2016, 09:46:58 pm »
My goodness, that's probably the best thing I've watched in years. Absolutely wonderful. I laughed, I cried, I shit my pants more than once. Fantastic. It was like Goonies meets ET meets Silent Hill. As some of said hope S2 is a completely different strange story. Abit like a modern twist on xfiles or Eerie Indiana if anyone remembers it.
Football is a lie

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
:D

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #172 on: September 5, 2016, 01:37:55 am »
I'm not really into this genre but I had to give it a go and I got through it all in one day. It's really captivating, the acting from the kids and from Ryder and the chief Hopper really stand out for me. I personally thought the quality stayed high even until the final couple of episodes and I'm really looking forward to season 2.

It truly is fantastic viewing.

Offline TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #173 on: September 6, 2016, 08:44:50 pm »
Absolutely boss series this, best thing I've watched in ages!

Ohh and the first time I saw that wall move I almost repainted my pants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ANHtujVrH0  @ 10:10

Great family that is
« Last Edit: September 6, 2016, 08:50:22 pm by TobyLFC »
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #174 on: September 7, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »
the problem with shows that come so highly recommended is they almost always let you down...

Spoiler
it was ok, but not great.  throughout all the episodes i was constantly wondering if the shapeless plot, cardboard characters and constantly boiling melodrama were a deliberate homage to terrible 80s films.  i couldn't work out if winona ryder was overacting terribly, or giving a masterful straight-faced pastiche of a certain kind of 80s horror movie mum, mainly achieved by widening her eyes and raising her voice an octave. so either she was really good or really bad - i can't make my mind up.

it looked great, and had a nice atmosphere to it, but i just found myself thinking - great homage, but couldn't they have done something good with the story rather than just hitting all the 80s notes?

the only consistently good aspect was the kids - great performances across the board.  i can imagine how they would resonate even more with those who were 11-12 around that era.

the teenagers i could take or leave (and yes, my first thought was jean-ralphio and then i couldn't unsee it :D).  the whole conspiracy story with the adults and the upside-down was really dull.  the monster looked like something even doctor who fans would complain about - woeful.  and despite the effects, the scariest and most effective scenes were in the house with the lights.

can't really see the point of a second season - this was three episodes of story stretched out over eight episodes - but i'd watch it just for the kids anyway.

also, stupid title...
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 7, 2016, 03:10:50 pm »
the problem with shows that come so highly recommended is they almost always let you down...

Spoiler
it was ok, but not great.  throughout all the episodes i was constantly wondering if the shapeless plot, cardboard characters and constantly boiling melodrama were a deliberate homage to terrible 80s films.  i couldn't work out if winona ryder was overacting terribly, or giving a masterful straight-faced pastiche of a certain kind of 80s horror movie mum, mainly achieved by widening her eyes and raising her voice an octave. so either she was really good or really bad - i can't make my mind up.

it looked great, and had a nice atmosphere to it, but i just found myself thinking - great homage, but couldn't they have done something good with the story rather than just hitting all the 80s notes?

the only consistently good aspect was the kids - great performances across the board.  i can imagine how they would resonate even more with those who were 11-12 around that era.

the teenagers i could take or leave (and yes, my first thought was jean-ralphio and then i couldn't unsee it :D).  the whole conspiracy story with the adults and the upside-down was really dull.  the monster looked like something even doctor who fans would complain about - woeful.  and despite the effects, the scariest and most effective scenes were in the house with the lights.

can't really see the point of a second season - this was three episodes of story stretched out over eight episodes - but i'd watch it just for the kids anyway.

also, stupid title...
[close]

:lmao

Here he is.. was waiting for you to turn up and disparage it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #176 on: September 7, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »

Spoiler

also, stupid title...
[close]

So that's a no for you then?

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #177 on: September 7, 2016, 03:14:53 pm »
Late to the table on this one, despite my Mrs going on about how good it is for months, just through episode 4 and hopefully get it finished tonight.  Cracking TV.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 7, 2016, 03:27:31 pm »
:lmao

Here he is.. was waiting for you to turn up and disparage it.
;D As predictable as the sun rising is our sideshow.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 7, 2016, 07:33:07 pm »
Four episodes on in this. Enjoying it so far, it's pretty easy watching. Not keen on the kids though. Especially the black lad and the kid with no teeth

Too OT. On purpose perhaps  it just fucks me off.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2016, 07:34:48 pm by Upinsmoke »

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #180 on: September 7, 2016, 07:59:28 pm »
Just finished watching it.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 8, 2016, 12:07:25 am »
So that's a no for you then?

actually i quite enjoyed it, when taken as a well-observed genre-hopping pastiche of all manner of dreadful 80s films where the cliches just kept on coming.  it was worth watching just to spot the references.  and then it had that lovely kids' story to enjoy too.  good fun, but hardly great TV to justify the universal hype. 
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 8, 2016, 12:25:12 am »
It's a little bizarre you consider ET, Stand By Me, The Goonies among others bad films. I suppose our tastes are just very different.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 8, 2016, 12:57:34 am »
It's a little bizarre you consider ET, Stand By Me, The Goonies among others bad films. I suppose our tastes are just very different.

no, the affectionate references are fine, inasmuch as it was good fun spotting them.  it's the overall sense of 80s overblown cheese in the adult/teenage stories that either makes it a work of highly skilled pastiche or just genuinely bad.

however, yes, E.T. is and always has been shit.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 8, 2016, 01:10:27 am »
Is there anything you actually consider great?

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 8, 2016, 09:58:59 am »
Is there anything you actually consider great?

loads of things.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #186 on: September 8, 2016, 10:28:11 am »
I definitely liked it but for me it wasn't "incredible" or the "best thing in ages" - it was pretty good, like 7 out of 10, but I do find the hype and hyperbole a little much at times too.
It was a fun show with a couple of good performances, an amazing soundtrack, boss opening credits and is well worth a watch - I have no desire to re-watch it and wasn't blown away by it at all.
But then it's all subjective.

8)
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 8, 2016, 12:45:01 pm »
loads of things.
You should talk about them on here sometime ;D

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 8, 2016, 01:15:27 pm »
You should talk about them on here sometime ;D

:) a little unfair. i think it's only a few weeks since i described a show as the best comedy on TV, and only a few months since i effusively praised the best drama on TV.  i gush about shows i love on here all the time.

also, aware of how media-and-artsites dislike having their circle jerks interrupted, i've vowed to stay out of the mr. robot thread this year :D

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #189 on: September 8, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »
Finished up last night, brilliant TV and it certainly gave me a warm fuzzing recalling of my youth.  Fantastic concept, brilliantly dark and funny in equal measure.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #190 on: September 9, 2016, 11:34:00 am »

also, aware of how media-and-artsites dislike having their circle jerks interrupted, i've vowed to stay out of the mr. robot thread this year :D

I reckoned that since you don't post on the Mr Robot thread, you also stopped watching it.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 9, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »
I definitely liked it but for me it wasn't "incredible" or the "best thing in ages" - it was pretty good, like 7 out of 10, but I do find the hype and hyperbole a little much at times too.
It was a fun show with a couple of good performances, an amazing soundtrack, boss opening credits and is well worth a watch - I have no desire to re-watch it and wasn't blown away by it at all.
But then it's all subjective.

8)

I couldn't sit through any more Winona for at least another year.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »

Thought some of you might like this.

(And not to spam the group, but this is also available as a t-shirt.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2016, 01:09:10 pm »
I couldn't sit through any more Winona for at least another year.
Why? Thought she was excellent imo.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2016, 04:10:40 pm »
Why? Thought she was excellent imo.

Couldn't handle the over the top WHERES MAH SON stuff, it took me out of the show.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2016, 05:11:21 pm »
Couldn't handle the over the top WHERES MAH SON stuff, it took me out of the show.
But she's just lost her son! Surely that's enough reason to be slightly OTT? I thought she was fine and put in a strong performance.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2016, 10:58:51 pm »
But she's just lost her son! Surely that's enough reason to be slightly OTT? I thought she was fine and put in a strong performance.

I felt like it was way too much. Someone said she was overcompensating because she hasn't had a kid and therefore can't feel the real pain that would come from the idea of losing one. I can see that.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2016, 12:19:46 am »

Yes, there's plenty of highly strung women (and men) out there who would freak out exactly like that under the circumstances. I mean, her missing son is talking to her through festive electrical goods, there's a headless monster living in the walls and she's supposed to roll her eyes and say "deary me" or what? Fuck that. There's people on this forum who totally lose their shit when we're only winning by one goal at half time against the league Champions, why do the same people expect Winona to be so chill?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2016, 12:37:57 am »

I had the same reaction initially. One of my friends pointed out that it would have been a lot easier for a lot of actresses to choose to be the strong, stoic type instead. So she actually made a more difficult acting choice. For what it was, I didn't think it was necessarily ineffective. I think it's possibly a little bit harder for people to watch a woman have a full blown nervous breakdown, which may also explain some of our reactions.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2016, 12:51:26 am »
I had the same reaction initially. One of my friends pointed out that it would have been a lot easier for a lot of actresses to choose to be the strong, stoic type instead. So she actually made a more difficult acting choice. For what it was, I didn't think it was necessarily ineffective. I think it's possibly a little bit harder for people to watch a woman have a full blown nervous breakdown, which may also explain some of our reactions.

That could be true for sure, a less shrill voice might have made the same performance totally acceptable to me. Some things rub people the wrong way.

Hey Claus, fuck off.