Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 124163 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #400 on: March 3, 2021, 12:11:14 am »
I've never been out late enough in skies dark enough to be honest.  I've only ever seen the Milky Way a couple of times, and that was in Wales during Uni way back in 1996.  I'd hoped to see it when I went camping in the US back in 2016, but the sodding moon was waxing. :butt
It's often the way when you set out to see something. We spent a week in Iceland (the country, not the supermarket) hoping to see the Northern Lights. It was cloudy all week.  :butt

Shooting stars aren't that difficult to see. As I said, we often see them when watching telly with the blinds open sat indoors near Sefton Park, and we aren't even looking for them. They just catch your eye if they are bright enough.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: March 4, 2021, 08:24:24 am »
It's often the way when you set out to see something. We spent a week in Iceland (the country, not the supermarket) hoping to see the Northern Lights. It was cloudy all week.  :butt

Shooting stars aren't that difficult to see. As I said, we often see them when watching telly with the blinds open sat indoors near Sefton Park, and we aren't even looking for them. They just catch your eye if they are bright enough.

I'm on Park Road, and my building has a sodding floodlight fixed to the back over the car park. :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #402 on: March 4, 2021, 06:39:58 pm »
I'm on Park Road, and my building has a sodding floodlight fixed to the back over the car park. :(

Light pollution central, then.  :-\
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: March 4, 2021, 07:29:54 pm »
Light pollution central, then.  :-\

Pretty much, yeah mate.  Unless I fancy wandering around Princes Park.  Looking for dark areas with no streetlights around Toxteth and Dingle isn't something to be encouraged! ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #404 on: March 13, 2021, 08:08:57 pm »
#Sausages

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2021, 08:12:37 pm »
A Merseyrail train has gone through the buffers at Kirkby
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-merseyrail-train-involved-accident-20140370

How the fuck do you do that  :o :o ? Its been the end of the line since I was a kid and the trains always go in really slow.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: March 13, 2021, 08:24:28 pm »
Wow.  Can't think what might have caused that other than driver error or something being on the line.  Passengers must have been really shook up, would have scared the shit out of me. Hope the driver is ok.

Wonder if the train was badly damaged?  Most of the current stock are over 40 years old and with Covid the new ones aren't likely to enter service until next year.  Might not be much point trying to repair it, so presumably they can manage without it?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #407 on: March 13, 2021, 08:26:59 pm »
How the fuck do you do that  :o :o ? Its been the end of the line since I was a kid and the trains always go in really slow.

It hit the bridge too which is a footbridge as the road is too narrow for a pavement on one side, so luckily looks like no one walking on the footbridge too.

#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: March 13, 2021, 08:37:25 pm »
It hit the bridge too which is a footbridge as the road is too narrow for a pavement on one side, so luckily looks like no one walking on the footbridge too.

Yeah, I was just checking on Googlemap.  When the report said "hit a bridge" I wasn't sure whether it was referring to the footbridge or the road bridge.  :-\

Photo from the scene:

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #409 on: March 13, 2021, 08:43:55 pm »
Yeah, I was just checking on Googlemap.  When the report said "hit a bridge" I wasn't sure whether it was referring to the footbridge or the road bridge.  :-\

Photo from the scene:

Luckily too of lockdown restrictions, train at that time of the day even on Kirkby line would normally be busy.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: March 13, 2021, 08:48:15 pm »
Luckily too of lockdown restrictions, train at that time of the day even on Kirkby line would normally be busy.

Yeah.  There's not a lot to see but it looks like the train has ended up under the road bridge and that the platform is something of a mess.  No physical injuries thankfully.

If I'm understanding the reporting it looks like the train has somehow jumped the tracks, then hit the buffers, but somebody here might see it different. Can't tell which carriage has come of the tracks, but it looks like the middle one to me.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #411 on: March 13, 2021, 09:20:37 pm »

Defiantly going for scrap, luckily Merseyrail are replacing the 507/8s for the new 777s
#Sausages

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #412 on: March 13, 2021, 10:16:35 pm »

Defiantly going for scrap, luckily Merseyrail are replacing the 507/8s for the new 777s
That looks bad; hopefully nobody got seriously hurt.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #413 on: March 13, 2021, 10:28:42 pm »
That looks bad; hopefully nobody got seriously hurt.

BTP have confirmed no serious injuries
Tweet : We were called to #Kirkby station at 7.01pm this evening following reports that a train derailed while travelling into the station. Officers, paramedics and fire services attended – thankfully no one sustained serious injuries. Enquiries are ongoing.
https://twitter.com/BTPMersey/status/1370858817337057284
#Sausages

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #414 on: March 13, 2021, 10:41:35 pm »
BTP have confirmed no serious injuries
Tweet : We were called to #Kirkby station at 7.01pm this evening following reports that a train derailed while travelling into the station. Officers, paramedics and fire services attended – thankfully no one sustained serious injuries. Enquiries are ongoing.
https://twitter.com/BTPMersey/status/1370858817337057284
Great news  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: March 14, 2021, 07:37:43 am »

Damn. 507006, probably one of the oldest trains on the network. Yeah, can't imagine them fixing it now.

Looks like buffer hits have happened a few times at Kirkby. Might just be the law of averages catching up though.

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: March 14, 2021, 11:04:46 am »

Fucking hell, he's been travelling at some clip to end up there. That pic is taken from the other side of the bridge from the Merseyrail station, that is the platform for the Wigan line which is the diesels, we used to walk under the bridges and climb the embankment when we bunked home from Crosby. The platform at Kirkby is long enough to take a 6 car carriage and the drivers always decelerate just after they cross the M57 and then slow to a crawl by the station and come in quite slowly.

You can see the buffers in this pic, they always stop short of them anyway, he's gone through them, under iron bridge and ended up where the Wigan train is.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #417 on: March 14, 2021, 12:54:06 pm »
Fucking hell, he's been travelling at some clip to end up there. That pic is taken from the other side of the bridge from the Merseyrail station, that is the platform for the Wigan line which is the diesels, we used to walk under the bridges and climb the embankment when we bunked home from Crosby. The platform at Kirkby is long enough to take a 6 car carriage and the drivers always decelerate just after they cross the M57 and then slow to a crawl by the station and come in quite slowly.

You can see the buffers in this pic, they always stop short of them anyway, he's gone through them, under iron bridge and ended up where the Wigan train is.

That puts in better perspective as to how far it's travelled past the buffers.
It must have been derailed a lot further up the track to have missed the concrete square that's sticking out.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: March 14, 2021, 01:18:32 pm »
It must have been derailed a lot further up the track to have missed the concrete square that's sticking out.

Yeah.  I think it's probably clipped the block on its way, which has shunted it to where it is.  But it must have already been off the tracks before it got there.  Wonder if there was a concrete block on the line?

Was walking through Central today and all Kirkby trains were down as cancelled.  I'm presuming they've had to turn the current off that whole stretch of track so workers can get in and start the clean up.

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: March 14, 2021, 01:28:33 pm »

Looking at the pics, I think its gone straight through the buffers, hit the concrete platform and smashed it to pieces and then bounced to the left, you can see all the debris in front of the train. Its hard to tell from the pics, but that walkway comes out just past the road bridge- we used to mess about under the bridge as kids while waiting for the train to come in.

Makes you wonder if the driver has fallen ill and been unable to do anything to stop the train, madly there's a video on you tube of Kirkby station and you can see how slowly the train arrives.

Maxwell Hodge solictors in the townie will be full of people who were "on that train" tomorrow morning ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3XEcHuhnHH0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3XEcHuhnHH0</a>

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #420 on: March 14, 2021, 01:40:07 pm »

Maxwell Hodge solictors in the townie will be full of people who were "on that train" tomorrow morning ;)

:D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: March 14, 2021, 02:19:55 pm »
Looking at the pics, I think its gone straight through the buffers, hit the concrete platform and smashed it to pieces and then bounced to the left, you can see all the debris in front of the train. Its hard to tell from the pics, but that walkway comes out just past the road bridge- we used to mess about under the bridge as kids while waiting for the train to come in.

Makes you wonder if the driver has fallen ill and been unable to do anything to stop the train, madly there's a video on you tube of Kirkby station and you can see how slowly the train arrives.

tbf, the three car train came in fairly fast on that video ;)  Arriving at Hunts Cross is usually far more sedate.  Ah well, they would have had to remove that piece of platform anyway when they extend the line through.

More seriously, there were no reports last night that the driver was ill, but maybe it's not been released yet.    Seems that they had to clear debris from the front of the train to get the driver out through the front access door.  I guess the accident cut power to the carriage and disabled the doors.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: March 14, 2021, 03:13:18 pm »
tbf, the three car train came in fairly fast on that video ;)  Arriving at Hunts Cross is usually far more sedate.  Ah well, they would have had to remove that piece of platform anyway when they extend the line through.

More seriously, there were no reports last night that the driver was ill, but maybe it's not been released yet.    Seems that they had to clear debris from the front of the train to get the driver out through the front access door.  I guess the accident cut power to the carriage and disabled the doors.

The failsafe mode would be that when the power fails, the doors locks open. You still might have to pull them open, but you can't leave them locked without power - how would anyone get out is there was a fire?

Afaik the driver's door is just a normal door though, no power needed.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: March 14, 2021, 05:49:31 pm »

Are the extending it through? They stopped the through trains in the Mid 70's after exchange street was closed and the electric trains were introduced, I can just about remember the old station but I can still remember the first time on the new trains and going underground rather than into Exchange Street.

Getting him was probably more down to the internal door being locked? I assume they are reinforced so no one can get in?

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #424 on: March 14, 2021, 05:52:55 pm »
NW News just said the driver was taken to hospital as a precaution so doesn't sound like he was taken ill whilst driving.
We are a team of one half.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: March 14, 2021, 06:20:02 pm »
Are the extending it through? They stopped the through trains in the Mid 70's after exchange street was closed and the electric trains were introduced, I can just about remember the old station but I can still remember the first time on the new trains and going underground rather than into Exchange Street.

Getting him was probably more down to the internal door being locked? I assume they are reinforced so no one can get in?

Merseyrail has a very extensive and rather ambitious plan to expand the network when the Class 777 trains arrive, funding permitted.  The new trains can run on third rail or overhead lines, and a small number of units will have batteries to enable them to operate on unelectrified track for a fair distance.

As I recall the plan, the long term aims are to extend Ormskirk through to Preston, , Kirkby through to Skelmersdale, and take over the Bidston to Wrexham service.  It's all quite long term, so no clue as to the timetable though.

The failsafe mode would be that when the power fails, the doors locks open. You still might have to pull them open, but you can't leave them locked without power - how would anyone get out is there was a fire?

Afaik the driver's door is just a normal door though, no power needed.

Hmm.  As I recall the emergency door opening mechanism cuts they hydraulic lines, which drains the fluid and enables the doors to be forced apart. A few years back my train got stranded at Birkenhead Park after an intruder was spotted about a mile up the track and they had to cut the power to the third rail.  They used the onboard batteries to open the doors.

I'm not sure the doors are locked in the way you describe, but then again I could be wrong.  As I understand it, electricity opens and closes them by actuating the hydraulic system, but it's the latter that actually keeps them open or closed.  They don't just snap open in the event of a loss of power.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2021, 07:00:18 pm »
There have been long term plans to extend the line to Headbolt Lane[between Northwood & Tower Hill], proposed for opening in 2023
#Sausages

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2021, 07:09:24 pm »
There have been long term plans to extend the line to Headbolt Lane[between Northwood & Tower Hill], proposed for opening in 2023

Cheers.

Mi infant school was Overdale, we used to cross Headbolt lane over the iron bridge that crossed the road and railway to get to school. Good job the line wasn't electrified as we used to have to go on it during games to get the ball back. Can you imagine a modern teacher letting under 11's go onto a railway line to retrieve a ball ;D

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #428 on: March 15, 2021, 08:02:24 pm »
I’ve just moved to Formby from West Yorkshire.

It’s probably technically not Liverpool and it’s not really news, but after 34 years I finally have an L postcode ;D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2021, 08:08:37 pm »

It’s probably technically not Liverpool and it’s not really news, but after 34 years I finally have an L postcode ;D

Wool

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2021, 08:11:45 pm »

Oh its definitely NOT Liverpool ;D

Have you moved there to stalk the Boss and Stevie?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #431 on: March 16, 2021, 12:58:01 am »

Nice one. Formby is lovely. Even the squirrels are red 😁

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #432 on: March 16, 2021, 11:41:04 pm »
Oh its definitely NOT Liverpool ;D

Have you moved there to stalk the Boss and Stevie?

Obviously. Got my eyes peeled in the Tesco.

Nice one. Formby is lovely. Even the squirrels are red 😁

Yeah we’re very lucky, seems a great place.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #433 on: March 17, 2021, 08:47:54 am »

you were closer to being a scouser back in yorkshire
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:31 am »
Obviously. Got my eyes peeled in the Tesco.

Yeah we’re very lucky, seems a great place.

You'll have to find out what restaurants they eat in ;)

Formby is a nice place, our kid was head Chef at the Bay Horse and lived in Formby for a few years until he moved to Bournemouth.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: March 17, 2021, 08:40:01 pm »
In other news, the green waste collection recommences on Monday.

I'll be out clapping the loaders. Fucking hell I need them.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #436 on: March 17, 2021, 08:51:29 pm »
You'll have to find out what restaurants they eat in ;)

Formby is a nice place, our kid was head Chef at the Bay Horse and lived in Formby for a few years until he moved to Bournemouth.

Is that still there? Remember going there with my Grandad when I was about 10 for a carvery. What about Don Luigi? :D

Nice one Jersey, regards to Jurgen.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #437 on: March 17, 2021, 09:13:18 pm »
In other news, the green waste collection recommences on Monday.

I'll be out clapping the loaders. Fucking hell I need them.

Early to bed for you on Sunday, young man, bid day ahead Monday. ;)
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: March 17, 2021, 09:27:04 pm »
 ;D

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #439 on: March 17, 2021, 09:33:39 pm »

numerous bad wools...but a lovely place, congrats on the move
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.