Author Topic: The Gym  (Read 34539 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Gym
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2015, 06:32:00 pm »
Joined the JD one in town, it's pretty good. Only 20 quid.

Been going about a month an a half, went on the treadmill before and felt something in my gastrocnemius, can barely walk. Looks like that's that for the foreseeable future, was enjoying it as well.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2016, 09:43:05 pm »
Joined the JD one in town,

Thats the one i'm at, well, as well as The Gym Group.

JD is good, although the sauna's a bit fucking stupid, its hardly ever 'on' when i'm in there. You have to ask staff to make sure its turned on as it shuts down after 6 hours apparently.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2016, 04:08:56 am »
Seen a guy at the gym do this exercise I didn't recognize. Tried to look it up but can't find it. Anyone know what it is?

It's on the cable machine with the attachment at the bottom. One hand holds the attachment with your arm down by your side, palm facing forward. Then you raise your arm to chest level directly in front of you while keeping your palm facing forward, before lowering it back to your side.

Hope I described that ok. Anyone know what it is or what it works?

It's not very common but it's a supinated low cable shoulder raise. You generally see it with a guy using a rope in a neutral grip, it does the front delt pretty much the same as the one Dave posted but with a different grip you obviously hit the muscle slightly differently. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're a competitive body builder. IMO its not a great exercise for the average person because it puts you in a position more likely to aggravate tennis elbow.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
Could someone recommend a good workout plan combining strength and cardio?

Been lifting for about 2 years now, getting some decent strength gains, but at the same time not really getting rid of as much fat as I'd like(i know, diet diet..). So I'd like to try and find a good combo with cardio, to try and get my heart and lung capacity up a bit as well, and at the same time hopefully be able to lose a few.

I've been doing 4-6 days a week at the gym lately, and pretty happy with the workload, but looking to replace maybe two days with running or going for a bike ride. Anyone know any good routines I could follow, as I'm currently just doing what I feel like on the day, and not really progressing well at all.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2016, 02:59:16 pm »
Swapping lifting for cardio won't make you lose the fat, you've already said what will...sorting your diet.

You won't progress unless you sort that.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2016, 06:12:51 pm »
Swapping lifting for cardio won't make you lose the fat, you've already said what will...sorting your diet.

You won't progress unless you sort that.

Yeah, I know that, just looking to improve my fitness in general as well, not just strength. Was thinking about doing something like 5/3/1 three or four times a week, with two runs. Just wondering if anyone knows of a specific program to combine the two.

Food is more down to laziness on my part, but doesnt mean I can't improve my general form ;D Look at Charlie Adam!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2016, 12:11:22 pm »
You won't find many set plans that incorporate both as most lifters will shy away from any decent cardio as it can have a hit on gains.

I'm doing a 5 day lifting split (based on one by Mike Matthews) at the moment which I normally do in the evening. Then throwing in around 2 or 3 cardio sessions a week. 2 in the morning and 1 on one of the non-lifting days. At the moment these are mostly HIIT sessions (hill sprints) but I'm adding in some longer runs as I build up my endurance in prep for doing a Tough Mudder next year. I try to schedule the cardio days so not the day of or day after leg day.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2016, 02:43:05 pm »
How much cardio is too much? How little food it too little?

I am trying to bulk up and i go to the gym 6 days a week.

Each day i spend 10 mins skipping more to 'warm up' as opposed to cardio. on one of the days i replace the skipping with 22 minutes metafit (HIIT cardio). However, I seem not to be gaining so much weight in terms of muscle built. (i seem stuck at circa 192 lb for the past 2 months now).

i am 6ft 2 and around 192 pounds. i would say that I am fairly lean, visible 6 pack (body fat last check 2 weeks ago is 11%)

i am wondering if i need to strictly cut out the cardio and eat more? (my diet per day is constant give or take

Breakfast:
A bowl of porridge (with semi skimmed milk with blueberries, and a banana

Mid morning snack:
A bowl of roasted monkey nuts

Lunch:
3 x fried eggs, a can of mackerel fish, 2 x chicken drumsticks, a handful of spinach, naan bread, a bowl of 0% greek yogurt with a digestive biscuit and blueberry as desert

Mid afternoon snack:
A bowl of roasted monkey nuts

Dinner (after gym):
3 x fried eggs, a can of mackerel fish, 2 x chicken drumsticks, a handful of spinach, naan bread, a bowl of 0% greek yogurt with a digestive biscuit and blueberry as desert

Include 2/3 protein shakes throughout the day, especially after workout and plenty of water and green tea.

Can any of you muscle men advise me?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:56:26 pm by King_doggerel »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2016, 04:46:06 pm »
My main suggestion would be to take a look at the diet before looking at the cardio (it doesn't sound like too much).

Get MyFitnessPal and spend a week tracking everything that you eat, and I mean every single thing. It's the easiest and most simple way to identify any issues with your diet.

If you want to put on size, and you're not a newbie getting newbie gains, then you need to eat more calories than you're burning. You're going to put on some additional fat at the same time, but if you get the calorie surplus right then it shouldn't be too much and you can lose this when you cut. Simplifying it a lot, you want to be eating roughly 1g of protein for 1lb of body weight, 0.3g of fat per 1lb of body weight (with no more than 10% of your calories coming from saturated fats) and then the rest from carbs. Don't skip on the good carbs if looking to add muscle as you need them.

Find a TDEE calculator online to get a good idea of your daily calorie needs, then add about 10% on top to give your surplus and adjust from there if you notice you're gaining too much fat, or not enough muscle.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2016, 06:30:43 pm »
6 fried eggs a day isn't good for anyone.. also looks like you are severely lacking on carbs.

Everyones genetics and bodies react differently, my lean bulk diet looks like this;

black coffee - fasted cardio - 1 hour rest after with no food, fat keeps burning in this time.
breakfast: 3 boiled eggs, 1 piece of wholemeal toast. sometimes half a tin of beans thrown in there if i fancy it.
2nd breakfast 45mins/1 hour later: rice pudding + 2 cups of porridge + honey
pre workout: 2 bananas, strong coffee + sometimes a sugar free energy drink (not recommended but I crave something like a pre workout supplement, that kind of mental and physical boost)
lunch within 1 hour of workout completion: 2 chicken breasts + brown rice
dinner: chicken fajitas, can substitute the wrap with brown pasta + mayo if i'm feeling hungry and/or feel like i need additional carbs.

random veggies thrown in, but not vital in the muscle building process imo.

snacks: peanut butter on wholemeal toast, protein shake, porridge + rice pudding, low fat greek style yogurt.

I'd love to be eating Salmon regularly but it doesn't really fit in my budget, fish is of course brilliant.. since its high in protein, low in fats. Lentils. pulses, kidney beans etc are also something i consume on a weekly basis, i intend on making lentils a staple part of my daily diet, vegan body builders are ripped!

i'd substitute all those protein shakes for a well rounded meal or even two, your probably excreting alot of that protein to be honest. food beats supplements always.

if you aren't actively seeking to lose body fat there is no reason to be doing alot of cardio at all, your lifting workout + diet should be intense enough to keeping the bodyfat stable at least. if you want cardio that is going to give you a more well rounded physique then swimming is the answer rather than jogging.

unfortunately for me, my bodyfat is around 18/19% and that means I am running most days at the moment.. on the plus side, the results are flying in, my bodyfat is visibly dropping off me but my weight is still going up. I developed my lean bulk diet via reading and watching alot of youtube fitness 'experts' and blending that information into an obtainable lifestyle plan, while also listening to my body.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:38:21 pm by ggcc14 »
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2016, 06:56:16 pm »
You're not having much protein before your workout - or do you have the shake before?

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2016, 07:04:22 pm »
me? i get about 30g of protein before a workout, thats enough isn't it?

i'd typically have a shake after a workout or before bed, if at all.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2016, 01:49:16 am »
me? i get about 30g of protein before a workout, thats enough isn't it?

Yeah that much is well enough, but where's that coming from in what you posted? Your pre work out and even the meal before that contain next to no protein and are pretty much all carbs.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2016, 11:50:33 am »
3 x eggs = 15g protein, tin of rice pudding = 15g, half tin beans = 10g

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2016, 02:27:27 pm »
?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2016, 02:42:31 pm »
I'm assuming your breakfast (where you have the 3 eggs and possibly beans) is a good few hours before your workout though - given you have a 2nd breakfast and a pre-workout meal after it before working out?

Personally I'd be more inclined to up the protein after your first workout and before your second (lifting) workout.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2016, 03:36:41 pm »
so many grams would you have pre workout, considering i weigh 100kg

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2016, 04:17:42 pm »
so many grams would you have pre workout, considering i weigh 100kg

I always aim for around 30g around an hour before, and similar within 30 mins or so after working out. Wouldn't worry about more than that.

You'd obviously not need to have it before doing the fasted cardio.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2016, 04:33:07 pm »
what are your stats, weight height bf%?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2016, 04:48:58 pm »
what are your stats, weight height bf%?

6ft, around 82kg, last check was 9% body fat. Body fat has probably creeped up a little as jumped my diet right up to a calories surplus to bulk over the next 6 months and put on a bit more size.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2016, 10:24:17 pm »
You could have a pack of uncle bens rice with lunch and dinner
 That will bump your carbs and calories up. Say maybe nearing 800 cals?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2016, 12:23:42 pm »
Anyone had lower back problems before? I've recently started doing deadlifts on my legs/abs day. Very worried I've fucked my lower back (the two bits above your arse - possibly back of your pelvis?) right up. Probably a combination of poor technique, slightly too heavy weights and perhaps a minor existing problem from posture in that area. I also tore my left hamstring 2-3 years back so could be linked to that.

I noticed it after my legs/abs session last Tuesday, had a couple of days off because of it then did biceps/upper back on Friday and it's made it a lot worse. Without deep heat I'd be screwed so I've sent a self referral in for some physio as I honestly can't see it going away any time soon  >:(

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2016, 12:34:22 pm »
Poor form with dead lifts will fuck you right up, especially if you've jumped to a heavy weight. Much better taking it really slow (i.e. start with an empty bar to get your form 100% into muscle memory) before working your way up.

I've got a pretty weak lower back from some previous back issues, so have a back support which I wear for heavy dead lifts. I try not to wear it for the warm up reps as looking to build the support muscles around there still to strengthen it, but when I get onto the big weights I don't have much choice as it'll kill me otherwise.

As with any back issues, rest is often the key. If the pain keeps up after total rest for a week or so then may have done something a little more serious, but I'd imagine it's mostly just inflamed and causing pain because of that.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2016, 12:38:14 pm »
Poor form with dead lifts will fuck you right up, especially if you've jumped to a heavy weight. Much better taking it really slow (i.e. start with an empty bar to get your form 100% into muscle memory) before working your way up.

I've got a pretty weak lower back from some previous back issues, so have a back support which I wear for heavy dead lifts. I try not to wear it for the warm up reps as looking to build the support muscles around there still to strengthen it, but when I get onto the big weights I don't have much choice as it'll kill me otherwise.

As with any back issues, rest is often the key. If the pain keeps up after total rest for a week or so then may have done something a little more serious, but I'd imagine it's mostly just inflamed and causing pain because of that.

I think it will definitely be the dead lifts that have done it as although I did do squats afterwards on a slightly heavier weight than usual, I feel reasonably comfortable with my squat technique whereas deadlifts I'm still getting the hang of. I've only been doing 40kg's on deadlifts so certainly not heavy but in hindsight I think I should have started on 20kg or perhaps an empty bar like you suggest.

Maybe I should just steer well clear of them  ;D  They're far harder than I thought they would be.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
They are 100% worth doing, you just need to take your time getting the initial technique right. It's easier if you have someone there who knows what they are doing to watch from the side and let you know where you are going wrong.

As said, my back isn't the strongest but I've got a 180kg 1 rep max dead lift now (160kg weight, 20kg bar) without any issues.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2016, 12:49:22 pm »
Try yoga, good mornings also help with the back as you have a stronger arse

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »
Anyone had lower back problems before? I've recently started doing deadlifts

That'll be the problem then.

Go here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE or here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXDFLXL1uo

Lower back going when dead-lifting for me, is generally down to poor hip position - either not being low enough to start with or popping up too quickly.

You'll have to rest it now and come back again.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:11:28 pm by Johnnyboy1973 »
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2016, 01:15:24 pm »
Also check your back isn't rounded, you need to keep a neutral lower back.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2016, 11:16:57 am »
This video is good for fixing common problems in the deadlift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta6NAgDzqgw

My spinal erectors (those two muscles above your ass) are always tender after heavy deads even with a thick belt and good form- I guess it's the same for most people, hence the general recommendation to only deadlift heavy once/week or less.

There is a difference between soreness from lifting ('good' soreness, i.e. your muscles are recovering) and a strained muscle though ('bad' soreness). Experience will teach you the difference.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2016, 03:24:24 pm »
Yeah, it should be fairly obvious if you get pain from a strained back that it's not just sore from recovery.

Not sure I'd class either as good though  ;D ;D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »
Yeah, it should be fairly obvious if you get pain from a strained back that it's not just sore from recovery.

Not sure I'd class either as good though  ;D ;D
I personally like DOMs. Lets you know you put an effort in.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2016, 04:05:05 pm »

I like knowing I put effort in but normally through the fact I cannot move whatever I've trained the next day rather than actual pain  ;D ;D

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2016, 04:11:34 pm »

Yeah me too, in some places- e.g. chest, triceps, quads. But lower back and glute DOMs is crippling.

I once did so many single leg calf raises that two days later I could barely walk, it was ridiculous.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2016, 04:23:49 pm »
Finally built my home gym after years of wanting to do it...no more shitty music, waiting for equipment, cheap bent bars, half squats, etc etc.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2016, 05:46:21 pm »
Very nice mate. I'd love one of them. Dunno if I'd have a washing machine in mine though and I'm sure the bikes are meant to be on a machine otherwise you're gonna ride into a wall.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2016, 06:24:00 pm »
My current set up. Full cage, olympic bars & set of bowflex dumbells.  As well as a Metolius Simulator 3D Hangboard.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2016, 06:39:28 pm »

Is it weird that I think there's very few better feelings out there  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2016, 08:38:23 pm »
Jealous of those home setups. I don't have the room for them. Been working out in the back yard for the past few months with some barbells and a kettlebell but winter has meant postponement.

So I'm back using a gym. I think I must have an cold/angry demeanour when I'm working out, never get friendly looks from the people about. I just find myself being in a foul mood from start of the session to finish...at least it helps with the lifts!

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »
My current set up. Full cage, olympic bars & set of bowflex dumbells.  As well as a Metolius Simulator 3D Hangboard.

That is sweet, you have way more room than me but I'm happy with the way I've used what I've got.

What is that board for, climbing practice?

I think my favourite thing about my setup is my Strength Shop 'Bastard Bar', it is unbelieveable the difference a high quality bar makes compared to the junky bent barbells in my old gym.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2016, 02:08:55 pm »
That is sweet, you have way more room than me but I'm happy with the way I've used what I've got.

Thanks man. Yeah you've used the space really well and doesn't look cramped.

What is that board for, climbing practice?

It's meant to be for that, but I don't climb. I use it for the same reason though - to increase finger/grip strength (has different grips for 2/3/4 finger holds, etc).