Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 288022 times)

Offline Moley

• Virgin, apparently...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice to mole you....I mean meet you
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 03:09:34 pm »
Im immense!

18 handicapper :(

Was in cracking form last time I played thou a few weekends back
BETFAIR REFERRAL CODE:  6GRRJ3CQV

Money for me and you!!

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2008, 01:49:30 am »
Right - I'm out of here, and off to make a tit of myself again!

:wave

...and still not back yet. You're worse than I thought.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2008, 03:07:54 am »
Anyone wanting to improve just work on your putting, chipping, and pitching. The better you get at that, the lower your score. Anyone can hit the ball some distance, even if it's not hit straight. But the better you can get the ball in the hole from next to or on the green, the lower your score.

My handicap was 11. Lowest was 7.

But I am just starting playing again this year. Took all of last year off. Have played 6 rounds  in the last 2 months. Highest score was 98 the first round out. Lowest was 82 with a triple and two double bogies. That was the best round of putting I can ever remember on a course i'd never played before. Made them from everywhere. 6-8-12 feet, made no difference. The triple bogie ( twice in the water) made a 30 footer for a 7 on a par 4. Long right to left breaker. Had 14 one putt greens and 22 total putts.

But if I can shoot mid 80's with as little as I have played and practice i'm happy.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
Fuck me, me & my mate got knocked out of the summer foursomes last night by two old fuckers.......one of which had 8 bloody heart attacks last year!!!

We were giving it the 'Billy Big Bollocks' about how we'd piss it & end it on the 12th, when in fact we didn't even make it to the 15th green!

Pathetic!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2008, 03:16:15 pm »
Fuck me, me & my mate got knocked out of the summer foursomes last night by two old fuckers.......one of which had 8 bloody heart attacks last year!!!

We were giving it the 'Billy Big Bollocks' about how we'd piss it & end it on the 12th, when in fact we didn't even make it to the 15th green!

Pathetic!
The thing about old guys is even though they don't hit it hard anymore, they hit it straight .

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2008, 03:53:23 pm »
I'm pretty good once I'm within an 8 iron of the hole & I hardly ever 3 putt. However I'm terrible off the tee, no matter what club I use. On a par 3, I hit my first shot off the floor every time & on other holes I tee off with a 4 wood. I usually hit that straight, but it only goes about 200 yards or so. This is a huge handicap to my game & so I'm just not getting any better. Best round is 92, but I usually score around 98-103.

Any pointers for tee shots would be appreciated & any tips for using anything longer than a 6 iron. I've tried all kinds of shit from the golf channel in the past, but nothing has worked. Oddly, I can hit a driver ok on a driving range, but even then there is no consistency.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2008, 04:20:42 pm »
I'm pretty good once I'm within an 8 iron of the hole & I hardly ever 3 putt. However I'm terrible off the tee, no matter what club I use. On a par 3, I hit my first shot off the floor every time & on other holes I tee off with a 4 wood. I usually hit that straight, but it only goes about 200 yards or so. This is a huge handicap to my game & so I'm just not getting any better. Best round is 92, but I usually score around 98-103.

Any pointers for tee shots would be appreciated & any tips for using anything longer than a 6 iron. I've tried all kinds of shit from the golf channel in the past, but nothing has worked. Oddly, I can hit a driver ok on a driving range, but even then there is no consistency.

Sounds more mental.

Typical of those who can hit it on the range but not off the tee.

What you might try to do, and this has been said time and again, is have a preshot routine. Most of the time on the range you can just drag a ball over and smack it. You can make small adjustments until your "hitting it alright". This gives some false confidence because you can't just drag balls over on the tee box until you get it right.

So step away from every range shot and reset yourself  for your net practice shot. Work on set up and tempo. Each and every time after you hit your practice shot, step away again and start over. Just like you do on the course--or should do.

What I do when on the range is never dump the balls out of the bag/basket. I put the bag of balls or basket by my bag and got get another ball to take over to where I am hitting my practice shots. This way I have to reset every time.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2008, 04:29:31 pm »
I played a few years ago, about 5 or 6 rounds and I generally sucked the big one. Not planning on playing golf again unless I find myself with a lot of free time on my hands. It takes too much practice to get good at it, and I prefer team sports.

Not a good game for people with anger management problems.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:31:07 pm by theCanadian »
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2008, 04:59:35 pm »
...and still not back yet. You're worse than I thought.

:D

Was in the pub.

Played well yesterday (for me) and broke 100 for only the second time ever. My pitching is getting together, and I could have been 10 lower only for some bad luck on putts - rimmed at least 6. Had a couple of 7's and an 8's, but also had 6 4's.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline ATEAMOFCARRAGHERS

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2008, 08:17:51 pm »
only played once on some course in near edinburgh, we were on a stag weekend up there and all the lads are into there golf (i think its shit) anyway got to the 3rd hole and i had lost me 4th ball so i fucked it off and went back the club house and got absolutely mashed!

;D
15/4/89 never forgotten.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2008, 09:09:14 am »
Play off something like 15-20.
Just camo 3rd in a corporate golf day with work! Won £70 of prizes, which was nice! (Also won 2 of the 'closest to the pin' comps on the par 3's, there were 4 of them... Although, on one of those I won, I managed to 3 putt for a 4...)
Nah.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2008, 10:31:34 am »
Sounds more mental.

Typical of those who can hit it on the range but not off the tee.

What you might try to do, and this has been said time and again, is have a preshot routine. Most of the time on the range you can just drag a ball over and smack it. You can make small adjustments until your "hitting it alright". This gives some false confidence because you can't just drag balls over on the tee box until you get it right.

So step away from every range shot and reset yourself  for your net practice shot. Work on set up and tempo. Each and every time after you hit your practice shot, step away again and start over. Just like you do on the course--or should do.

What I do when on the range is never dump the balls out of the bag/basket. I put the bag of balls or basket by my bag and got get another ball to take over to where I am hitting my practice shots. This way I have to reset every time.

Thanks.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2008, 10:45:31 pm »
27 points in todays 'Captains Day Stableford' having blobbed 5 holes.  Really couldn't be arsed today, so my handicap will be going up 0.1.

Free burger & beer after the 9th though, so not all bad!!

;D

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2008, 01:32:19 pm »
We'll be in Tenby by then, going there on Thursday after Machynys. I think you've touched lucky there with P&K.

P & K in Galeforce winds is not a pleasant experience..........especially after 2 nights on the piss!!  Played singles there yesterday & it was bloody hard playing in the wind, with the ball going all over the place, although I did win my match 4 & 3.  My opponent (16 hcap) actually got a 16 on the 9th, having taken 8 shots to get out of 1 bunker on the fairway, only to put it in another bunker which took him 3 to get out of! ;D

How did you find Pennard & Machynys??  I shot 41 points @ Pennard without hitting a bloody fairway until the 12th hole.......i've never spent so long in the rough!!

Shot 37 points @ Machynys, which I think may be my favourite course i've ever played (dispite the shit weather).

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2008, 01:43:48 pm »
Just got back from playing Silloth on Solway, nice links track, well worth playing although a little out of the way, and a round at Royal Lytham (shot 78 with the assistance of a caddie!).

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:35 pm »
Ive never played so i'm the worst one here ;D

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2008, 02:06:32 pm »
Ive never played so i'm the worst one here ;D

I wouldn't say that :D
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2008, 02:18:49 pm »
Just got back from playing Silloth on Solway, nice links track, well worth playing although a little out of the way, and a round at Royal Lytham (shot 78 with the assistance of a caddie!).

Thanks for the tip btw about playing South Wales......had a fantastic time!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »
Thanks for the tip btw about playing South Wales......had a fantastic time!

My pleasure....you'd love Silloth as well, just not much to do there though, but the club kept the bar open 2 nights until after midnight (20 of us and we drank a lot of stuff!)

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2008, 03:31:24 pm »
My pleasure....you'd love Silloth as well, just not much to do there though, but the club kept the bar open 2 nights until after midnight (20 of us and we drank a lot of stuff!)

Just looked on their website......looks a great track!

We had a great time exploring the Swansea nightlife, although getting in at 4am wasn't the best preperation for a day on the course!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2008, 03:40:12 pm »
Just looked on their website......looks a great track!

We had a great time exploring the Swansea nightlife, although getting in at 4am wasn't the best preperation for a day on the course!

I play better when I'm numb!

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »
Played the Forest of Arden on Saturday.  Rained for the first few holes and then eased off.

Lovely course.

Some great par 3's, i think it was the 8th over water (Par) and then 18th which is over a huge valley with a lake at the bottom (5 - I 3 putted).

Didn't play great, Birdied the second and had about 4 pars, should have been more but missed 2 5 foot putts for par.  The other holes were complete write offs.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2008, 04:01:12 pm »
:D Your 16 year old sounds good.

Get him to turn pro and pay you back :D

As a treat after finishing his GCSEs last Summer I gave him the choice of a couple of days away.

He chose Kinsale and we played the Old Head of Kinsale course. Unbelieveable course, millionaires' golf. Massively difficult as it was blowing a gale but unforgettable. One hole we teed off the side of a sheer drop across a gorge on to a fairway.

The lads' Mum has also blagged them on to the Old Course three times (first time was with me) - that was brilliant. Second time the eldest shot a 72 in what to be fair were quite benign conditions.

Although I suspect he'll be scratch by the end of this summer and will have represented Cheshire, he knows looking around that he'd struggle to be amongst the best in the area never mind the country/world - there are lads he knows who have left school at 15 to work at their game and when he went warm weather training with the Cheshire squad for a week in Minorca in February he was the only one of 14 who wasn't going to try the pro route.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2008, 04:21:34 pm »
Smoth

Maybe your lad can make the Walker Cup. Would be brilliant that.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2008, 05:08:29 pm »
Smoth

Maybe your lad can make the Walker Cup. Would be brilliant that.

Honestly, he's a top golfer but there are local lads his age already +1 and +2, never mind in the rest of the country.

I'm just pleased he excels at it - good sporting skill to have, you'll never be lonely.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2008, 07:15:41 pm »
At that level it's all down to scoring from 50 yards in. If he continues to work on that portion of his game he can get better.

Easy for me to say..:P

But he should spend more than 50% of his time working on that.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:34 pm »
btw.. Another Company i used to work for we had a salesman from Memphis who played University golf and a lot of tournaments.

He and I played a few times with a fiver on the match, him giving me strokes. I made the mistake once of beating him on the front nine scratch. I shot 39, he 40. He shot 32 on the back and won the bet. lol

I asked him what was the lowest score he's ever shot. He said 65 in competition and 64 on his own. So my next question was why he didn't turn pro. And his answer was he liked playing golf. To get to the pro level you need to practice and play 8 hours a day. He said he didn't think he'd enjoy golf if he "had to work at it" at that level.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2008, 08:05:04 pm »
JP - Looking forward to Silloth, 3 of my mates played a few years ago in near unplayable conditions. I think the highest score after 7 holes was 3!! They all loved the course though.

Hoppy - 41 at Pennard? Surprised you could see the fucking ball with that sombrero and muzzy on. You must have played well, I take it you won the day. What about the overall?

We played it on Wednesday and it was very windy, had to lay my bag down, to be honest mate, I don't think there are any fairways, it's a con, there were 8 of us and we barely hit a fairway all day. Loved the course though, at least 3 lads have put it into their top 5. I scored 29 with 1 given away (picked up a tap in on a par 5 thinking it was a par 4 and I couldn't score d'oh!), that had 5 blobs on the card so not too disappointed.

Machynys, what about those greens? Strangest I've ever putted on but brilliant, again it was really windy so 13 holes played into the wind, that par 4 411yd (15 or 16) must have played about 600yds. I liked it a lot

Tenby, what can I say, the best £20 (it's on Open Fairways 2 for 1) I've spent on golf. Not the best course I've played, not even in the best 10 (that list is pretty good though) but great in it's own way. Play off the whites and the view from the 9th tee is as good as I've ever seen on a course (save the 9th at RCD), it's hard judging by our scores, I scored 29 but four out of eight scored 18 or less. They were the higher handicap players and you have to take into account the fatigue of four nights on the piss and 3 days of tough golf.

I don't think it's quite as hard as our scores suggest but it is tricky and if you placed that course in certain areas of the British Isles you'd be paying £80 to play (though the course would be in slightly better condition as a resultof higher greenfees). Better than Crail and Elie which were about £60.

I haven't decided which was the best out of the three yet, Pennard has the views, you felt like wherever you were on the course, you could see forever. Machynys has the facilities and greens, some good views and it was great to play a new course of quality. Tenby has the mean rough and the hardest start I can remember to a round (that includes Machrihannish).

I'll try and let you know when I decide but suffice to say Tenby is great and well worth the trip, you can debate the pros and cons of all three but if you enjoyed Machynys and Pennard, go there, you won't be disappointed.

I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Gareth Keenan

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2008, 08:16:03 pm »
JP - Looking forward to Silloth, 3 of my mates played a few years ago in near unplayable conditions. I think the highest score after 7 holes was 3!! They all loved the course though.

Hoppy - 41 at Pennard? Surprised you could see the fucking ball with that sombrero and muzzy on. You must have played well, I take it you won the day. What about the overall?

We played it on Wednesday and it was very windy, had to lay my bag down, to be honest mate, I don't think there are any fairways, it's a con, there were 8 of us and we barely hit a fairway all day. Loved the course though, at least 3 lads have put it into their top 5. I scored 29 with 1 given away (picked up a tap in on a par 5 thinking it was a par 4 and I couldn't score d'oh!), that had 5 blobs on the card so not too disappointed.

Machynys, what about those greens? Strangest I've ever putted on but brilliant, again it was really windy so 13 holes played into the wind, that par 4 411yd (15 or 16) must have played about 600yds. I liked it a lot

Tenby, what can I say, the best £20 (it's on Open Fairways 2 for 1) I've spent on golf. Not the best course I've played, not even in the best 10 (that list is pretty good though) but great in it's own way. Play off the whites and the view from the 9th tee is as good as I've ever seen on a course (save the 9th at RCD), it's hard judging by our scores, I scored 29 but four out of eight scored 18 or less. They were the higher handicap players and you have to take into account the fatigue of four nights on the piss and 3 days of tough golf.

I don't think it's quite as hard as our scores suggest but it is tricky and if you placed that course in certain areas of the British Isles you'd be paying £80 to play (though the course would be in slightly better condition as a resultof higher greenfees). Better than Crail and Elie which were about £60.

I haven't decided which was the best out of the three yet, Pennard has the views, you felt like wherever you were on the course, you could see forever. Machynys has the facilities and greens, some good views and it was great to play a new course of quality. Tenby has the mean rough and the hardest start I can remember to a round (that includes Machrihannish).

I'll try and let you know when I decide but suffice to say Tenby is great and well worth the trip, you can debate the pros and cons of all three but if you enjoyed Machynys and Pennard, go there, you won't be disappointed.

I don't know f you have played there before Jay but I love that place another great little course, I regurley go there. I'm glad you enjoyed the Wales trip.

I am off to Nefyn & Royal St. Davids this weekend for a change, I've played them before though.

I played 2 good ones last week if your looking for some where not too far or too expensive it was called Beau Desert in Stafford (took about an 1, 1/4 hrs to get there and was 60 pound for the day, it was really nice heathland course. I also played Notts (Hollinwell), that one is a bit further and more expensive but another really good course, probably better than Beau Desert but 2 gems.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2008, 09:17:08 pm »

You'd think so wouldn't you, but no.  One of the lads in our fourball had a bandit handicap of 20 & scored 43!!!  To be fair, he has no Woods or Hybrids in his bag & was hitting his irons fairly straight.  He also scored 41 at Machynys & was promptly cut to 16  :D  We all put £30 in the prize pot & dished it out on various prizes.  I won longest drive at Machynys (suprising everyone, including me) as well as being part of the winning team, so I did ok  ;)

You're right about the fairways........we had our longest drive hole on the 16th & it was won with the last person teeing off with a 7 iron just to find the fairway; he was the only one of 12   :D

15 & 16 @ Machynys are two fantastic golf holes and the only thing that lets it down for me is the view of the steel works on the front 9.  Other than that, I just felt it was my kind of course & was in fantastic condition......a real pleasure to play & I think all 12 of us rated it highly!  Also, that is probably the best bar i've ever been in at a golf course  ;D

Pyle & Kenfig was another matter......

Played it yesterday during the gales, and after my opening tee shot ended up on the 9th fairway (causing much laughter amongst the boys) I new it was going to be a tough day!  2 points after 3 holes (including 6 shots to get out of the bunker at the 3rd), and I was ready to go home.........I'm so glad I never!!

Got my game back just in time to play what I can only say are the best 7 or 8 holes of golf i've ever had the pleasure to play.  The 11th to the 17th at P&K will live long in the memory, despite having to aim approach shots 50 yards either side of the greens due to the high winds ;D

We're already on about going back next year (the Village hotel coupled with the Swansea nightlife means this will now become an annual event) and playing Royal Porthcawl as well as 2 others.........I think your reveue means Tenby could well be one of the others!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:18:57 pm by Hoppy »

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2008, 09:23:42 pm »

Off 14 when I stopped playing regularly about 6 years ago. Truly a great game to play.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Gareth Keenan

• Kopite
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2008, 10:18:34 pm »
I live in Knowsley Village, Blundells Hill is in Rainhill which is actually closer to were I live. In my opinion Blundells is the hardest of the 2 and probably the toughest and best Parkland course in Merseyside on this side of the water.

S&A is by far the better course of the 2 but is not as tough as many visitors think.

Where about are you going to play in South Wales. I went there last summer, I played Machynys Peninsula, Ashburton along with Pyle & Kenfig. The back 9 at Pyle was as good as anything I have played and that includes some of the alleged world's best courses.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but no.  One of the lads in our fourball had a bandit handicap of 20 & scored 43!!!  To be fair, he has no Woods or Hybrids in his bag & was hitting his irons fairly straight.  He also scored 41 at Machynys & was promptly cut to 16  :D  We all put £30 in the prize pot & dished it out on various prizes.  I won longest drive at Machynys (suprising everyone, including me) as well as being part of the winning team, so I did ok  ;)

You're right about the fairways........we had our longest drive hole on the 16th & it was won with the last person teeing off with a 7 iron just to find the fairway; he was the only one of 12   :D

15 & 16 @ Machynys are two fantastic golf holes and the only thing that lets it down for me is the view of the steel works on the front 9.  Other than that, I just felt it was my kind of course & was in fantastic condition......a real pleasure to play & I think all 12 of us rated it highly!  Also, that is probably the best bar i've ever been in at a golf course  ;D

Pyle & Kenfig was another matter......

Played it yesterday during the gales, and after my opening tee shot ended up on the 9th fairway (causing much laughter amongst the boys) I new it was going to be a tough day!  2 points after 3 holes (including 6 shots to get out of the bunker at the 3rd), and I was ready to go home.........I'm so glad I never!!

Got my game back just in time to play what I can only say are the best 7 or 8 holes of golf i've ever had the pleasure to play.  The 11th to the 17th at P&K will live long in the memory, despite having to aim approach shots 50 yards either side of the greens due to the high winds ;D

We're already on about going back next year (the Village hotel coupled with the Swansea nightlife means this will now become an annual event) and playing Royal Porthcawl as well as 2 others.........I think your reveue means Tenby could well be one of the others!

Totally agree mate, I posted the same a few weeks ago earlier in this thread, see above.

I have played the likes of County Down, Portrush, Ballybunion, Dornoch, Gleneagles, Valderrama, Ryl Aberdeen, Nairn, All the open venues in Britain and I'd put the back 9 at P&K up there with any of them, a fantastic set of holes.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:20:19 pm by Gareth Keenan »

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2008, 12:22:09 am »
I play off 12 (or would if i could get out on the course at the mo!) and love the game to bits, a few more greens in reg and few less putts and i'll be off single figures for sure :) , he says for the 3rd year in a row!
more lurking than posting

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43:15 am »
Back 9 P&K up there with front 9 at RCD? Wow.

Hoppy, did you have the spicy chicken and corrianader pannini at Machynys, fantastic. We had longest drive on the 16th at Pennard and I hit a belter, second shot tried to go for the green and pushed it, another lost ball.

Was Swansea a good night out then? We were in a little hotel a mile away from Pennard for the first two nights and it was OK 'cos the footy was on but very quiet.

Gareth, I've already got Beau Desert booked in for September, when I played a Crewe a couple of months ago got talking to a old fella who said 'you should play West Lancs', when I told him I had and loved it he told me to play Machrihannish, 'I have' I said. We then got talking and the one he mentioned as a real gem was Beau, lookes lovely and it'll be the second leg of a top and tail event, first of the season at Fairhaven and the last will be Beau. There are three of us on 36 after the first leg so I'm well placed.

On the Royal Aberdeen trip did you do Cruden Bay or Murcar? I'm considering those three for next year.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2008, 11:12:27 am »

Hoppy, did you have the spicy chicken and corrianader pannini at Machynys, fantastic. We had longest drive on the 16th at Pennard and I hit a belter, second shot tried to go for the green and pushed it, another lost ball.

Was Swansea a good night out then? We were in a little hotel a mile away from Pennard for the first two nights and it was OK 'cos the footy was on but very quiet.

We just drank at the courses & ate back at the hotel, but the food at Machynys looked great.  The Village hotel in Swansea was fantastic & the food in the bar was cracking.  We were about a 10 min walk away from Swansea centre, and imo it's one of the best places for a night out.  Plenty of pubs/clubs catering for everyone, and 12 lads on the lash had no problems at all!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2008, 12:07:08 pm »
We'll possibly make Swansea the base for P&K, Porthcawl and Southerndown then.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2008, 01:02:55 pm »
Gonna hit the range in a bit I think. Will be just as bad by the time I leave :D
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline qwerty_in_advance

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2008, 01:25:45 pm »
i love playing golf and im not bad at it apart from my drives i just cant hit them straight consistently, every time i go one of my drives either ends up in the car park or onto a passing road so i have to leg it... keeps me fit though :D
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline Gareth Keenan

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2008, 03:22:08 pm »

Gareth, I've already got Beau Desert booked in for September, when I played a Crewe a couple of months ago got talking to a old fella who said 'you should play West Lancs', when I told him I had and loved it he told me to play Machrihannish, 'I have' I said. We then got talking and the one he mentioned as a real gem was Beau, lookes lovely and it'll be the second leg of a top and tail event, first of the season at Fairhaven and the last will be Beau. There are three of us on 36 after the first leg so I'm well placed.

On the Royal Aberdeen trip did you do Cruden Bay or Murcar? I'm considering those three for next year.

I didn't do either Jay, although I would like to. I played Blairgowrie on the way up, the next day Royal Aberdeen, the next day Nairn & finished at Royal Dornoch.

I enjoyed your report on Wales, I am going to arrange for us to go back. There seems to be so many good courses there though, I don't know were to play.

I might of been exagerating with the comparison between RCD & P/K however they really are a lovel set of holes.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2008, 05:23:44 pm »
I know what you mean, when I said the view from Tenby's 9th was second to none I started thinking about alternatives, Southerness had a belting hole that was similar but I'd probably stick with Tenby.

While we're talking, I didn't see North Berwick on your list, if you haven't been you have to make it a priority. I think we paid £45 in the height of summer, fantastic condition and history that beats all but 6 courses in the world. It takes 2-3 hours to get there and when you do, you'll enjoy one of the best welcomes ever. Our starter was Sam Fox (smaller tits, uglier, more of a man than she looked in the eighties) and his opener was

''Gentlemen, first of all allow me to welcome you to our club, without you coming to visit us it would be impossible to keep the course in the condition it is so thank you for coming''

As you can imagine, we were gobsmacked, all standing there thinking 'we're just grateful you let us on, you don't have to thank us'.

It was a fantastic course, The Redan hole was great to play and I nearly gave up golf on The Pit. I then drove the green on the 18th and gave myself a tap in birdie in front of the clubhouse, one of my favourite golf days and as a course only second to RCD. Oh, and I've played the Wentworth courses this year, now I think about it, it's been a fucking belting year for golf so far.