Author Topic: Is Money.................  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
Re: Is Money.................
« Reply #120 on: June 8, 2012, 06:59:40 pm »
No we dont Paul. We dont NEED it, we desire it to attain a standard of living we would like to a degree.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 8, 2012, 07:04:19 pm »
No we dont Paul. We dont NEED it, we desire it to attain a standard of living we would like to a degree.

i see where your coming from, but we need it also, if i never had another penny now, i'd lose my property, cars, all possesions, then my relationship would fail, i wouldnt be able to support my kids, they would resent me for it, my world would fall apart. all because of a bit of paper with the queens head on.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: June 8, 2012, 07:12:02 pm »
Money is a necessary evil.

Face it, without it you're gonna struggle in today's world. Its all about balance. As long as you have enough to get by and enjoy a bit with loved ones, thats enough to make me and most people happy. The challenge is to not fall for the danger of wanting more to up your life further at the expense of your health and time doing the things you enjoy.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #123 on: June 8, 2012, 07:24:28 pm »
I sometimes have an urge to do an "Alexander Supertramp" - without the dying. I don't think I could hack it though. But I do love the idea of complete solitude in the wilderness for a short period of time. That obviously takes the "I don't need money / material possessions to be happy" to an absolute extreme though.

Has anyone ever read "An Autobiography of a Supertramp"? A different era. But people live a little like that nowadays too. Part of me would love to try it. The other part of me is way too much of a wimp :)
Not read it but seen the film, decent watch, although something about the lead jarred with me. Will look for the book if possible. It's a sad film though. People in here should really read Henry David Thoreau's 'Walden, or Life in the Woods.' He genuinely was a visionary.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline jaybeezay

• Anny Roader
  • Keeping it real while playing it safe
« Reply #124 on: June 8, 2012, 09:57:03 pm »
We dont ' Need ' money though.

You do if you want gas, electric, water, food and a roof over your head. And unless you want to wipe your arse with twigs and leaves; toilet paper. You do need money, don't try to kid yourself otherwise.

Unless you want to live off someone else, but then they will need money to support you. For an experiment you could try living in the woods but you would need money to buy a tent.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #125 on: June 9, 2012, 02:04:06 am »
-Tramp-Classic-Reprint/dp/1440040648/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339180620&sr=1-1

In fact, just had a quick look for the book you suggested - very similar ideas. Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Thoreau's book(s) had a big influence on Davies.
Ah right, cheers for that. Yeah, Thoreau is intense and philosophical but interesting at the same time. So many good quotes in it. 'I went to the woods because I wished to live life deliberately.' It's idealistic but nonetheless brilliant.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #126 on: June 9, 2012, 12:44:33 pm »
His mum said something that stuck with me to this day, "Money's embarrassing when you've got it, and when you haven't."

Another phrase I was taught down the Dingle was a good 'un. "Enough is plenty." Works for me that.

Great quotes those two.

Specially believe in the "enough is plenty" one myself. I feel sometimes people 'let' others set how much is 'plenty' for them..that's when things get messy. Seeing someone and thinking 'he's got $$ more than me, so if I can have the same I'll be happy' is where the trouble begins. That endless cycle, the magic / curse of the 99 as we call it in India / the Arab world. 
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson