Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 849993 times)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #15760 on: January 19, 2022, 08:16:52 pm »
While the current situation is ridiculous I also disagree with changing rules (on anything) mid-season as that gives unfair benefits too.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15761 on: January 19, 2022, 08:17:51 pm »
While the current situation is ridiculous I also disagree with changing rules (on anything) mid-season as that gives unfair benefits too.

PL has already been destroyed this season.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15762 on: January 19, 2022, 10:10:16 pm »

Yep. But then again they basically changed the offside law mid-way through last season as well as VAR protocols the season before, so anything goes at this stage.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15763 on: January 19, 2022, 10:34:55 pm »

The PL repeatedly screwed over most of its clubs by not having a clear, transparent policy ready to go for the first game of the season. Instead they thought the pandemic was magically over. Then the PL decided to introduce a rule that would have sort out some of the mess of their own doing, before basically like everything else (i.e. Respect Campaign) neglecting it after a week or so and allowing clubs to include players who are injured or on international duty. Thus you ended up with the likes of injury ravaged Leeds having to play Arsenal, while the likes of Leicester took the piss out of the rules around the same time including injured and half-fit players.

Here's a dead easy fix that Serie A introduced mid-season when some of their matches weren't played because the regional health authority deemed they couldn't occur. And this is in a league where the maximum number of games any one side has in hand at the moment due to COVID postponements is 1.  Basically, your match gets postponed if 35% of your squad has COVID and that only includes your registered first team. So if you have less than that number you're going to have to make up the difference with kids and reserves. Easy, straightforward.

Although I'd go two steps further. One is to publish the names of every player and staff member out with COVID. That info is readily available in Italy. Secondly, I'd go the NFL route and basically say a club cannot include unvaccinated players in that quota. So if they are unvaccinated and have COVID, sorry, you're out of luck.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #15764 on: January 19, 2022, 11:15:02 pm »
Yep. But then again they basically changed the offside law mid-way through last season as well as VAR protocols the season before, so anything goes at this stage.

And the 'let the game flow' narrative. What happened to that?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15765 on: January 19, 2022, 11:16:29 pm »
And the 'let the game flow' narrative. What happened to that?

Pissed it away...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15766 on: January 24, 2022, 12:00:01 pm »
Seems to be a suggestion that clubs will have to prove four positive COVID tests and can no longer roll-in injuries. The four cases are a minimum rather than automatic requirement. If that's the case, this sounds like the bare minimum,or what the PL sold their policy as in October.  The Serie A approach was more than fair and the revised PL approach will likely be weaker than that.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15767 on: January 26, 2022, 12:24:29 pm »
Seems to be a suggestion that clubs will have to prove four positive COVID tests and can no longer roll-in injuries. The four cases are a minimum rather than automatic requirement. If that's the case, this sounds like the bare minimum,or what the PL sold their policy as in October.  The Serie A approach was more than fair and the revised PL approach will likely be weaker than that.

PL meeting was today and they've agreed that proof of a minimum of four positive COVID tests will be needed for a postponement request to be successful.

But I'm guessing injuries will still be a factor (i.e. four COVID cases and eight injuries will get a postponement, but five COVID cases and no injuries may not).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:26:08 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15768 on: January 26, 2022, 03:26:39 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60135824

Premier League clubs will have to prove they have at least four Covid-19 cases to get matches called off under new guidance announced on Wednesday.

A total of 22 top-flight games were postponed in December and January because of the pandemic.

The rules will be introduced before the next league fixture on 5 February.

A Premier League statement said the rules are designed "to protect the wellbeing of players and staff" and "maintain the sporting integrity".

Previously, clubs could request a match to be postponed if they did not have 13 available players as well as a goalkeeper.

However, teams were claiming opponents were including injured players as well as those on Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) duty in Cameroon in the figures of players available.

Earlier this month, Tottenham said they were "extremely surprised" at the decision to call off their game against Arsenal, which had been scheduled to take place on 16 January.

However, the Gunners, who had four players at the Afcon tournament as well as a number of injuries and Covid cases, said they "reluctantly" requested a postponement and were "disappointed" the game had to be rearranged.

The Premier League said requests for postponements would continue to be assessed on "a case-by-case basis" and added: "Throughout the pandemic, the Premier League has adapted its guidance in response to the wider public health situation.

"The guidance was last updated in December in response to the emergence of the Omicron variant.

"The Premier League Board examines a number of factors, including the ability of a club to field a team; the status, severity and potential impact of Covid-19; and the ability of the players to safely prepare for and play the match."

Analysis - 'International absences will not come into play again'
Simon Stone, BBC Sport

The reduction in the number of positive Covid-19 tests in the Premier League this week to 16, plus the increase in the number of Covid positives to four before a game can be called off, should have a significant impact on postponements.

The Premier League have always known postponing large numbers of games indefinitely was not an option because the final games have to be played on 22 May.

But the current international break offered the chance to re-assess and while injuries can still be used in proving a club cannot meet the 13+1 criteria, with the Africa Cup of Nations over before the next full round of matches, the international absences will not come into play again.

It should provide some certainty ahead of the next phase of the season, to the international window in March, in which there are seven rounds of matches, plus the fourth and fifth rounds of the FA Cup.

There are still 19 matches to be re-arranged, the four involving Leicester are particularly troublesome as Brendan Rodgers' side are about to embark on a Europa Conference League knockout campaign.

But the fact this new criteria comes into effect from the resumption should at least ensure the game that has caused most problems, the twice postponed relegation duel between Burnley and Watford, who now have a new manager in Roy Hodgson, should finally go ahead at Turf Moor on 5 February.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15769 on: January 26, 2022, 03:28:38 pm »
It's a bit of a useless change that, too little too late.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15770 on: January 26, 2022, 04:00:10 pm »

So basically what they should have done in the first place. Any word on whether those cases can include staff and reserve team players. In Serie A, their approach only affects players registered in the first team squad and if you are below the threshold you have to dip into your reserves to make up numbers

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15771 on: January 26, 2022, 07:05:04 pm »
So basically what they should have done in the first place. Any word on whether those cases can include staff and reserve team players. In Serie A, their approach only affects players registered in the first team squad and if you are below the threshold you have to dip into your reserves to make up numbers

You should include medical staff as the only others you have to have available.  Players safety shouldn't be put at risk.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15772 on: January 26, 2022, 07:48:20 pm »
So teams that had a game postponed because their opposition may have had one Covid case will now have to play the re-arranged fixture even if they have 3 cases and a shit ton of injuries.

Seems fair.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #15773 on: January 26, 2022, 07:53:19 pm »
So teams that had a game postponed because their opposition may have had one Covid case will now have to play the re-arranged fixture even if they have 3 cases and a shit ton of injuries.

Seems fair.

I expect karen Brady and her like to come out screaming "No sporting integrity" any time now like before, when rules were changed mid-season.  No?
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate