Author Topic: Liverpool 0 v WBA 0 ( )  (Read 54115 times)

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
Re: Liverpool 0 v WBA 0 ( )
« Reply #960 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:47 am »
We have consistently  been inconsistent this season.

The main reason imho is our inability to control midfield (shape, drive & focus) and a not-so-reliable defence.

Keita and van Dijk (with our £150m summer offer) would have got us that strength and consistency.

Long season though, and many more points to win.

Enjoy the ride.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #961 on: December 14, 2017, 11:50:10 am »
I thought about this watching the bitters too.
During the last 2 games, when we crossed the ball and a defender got something on it there were no late runners coming onto the loose ball. There were at least 2 of these in each game, if a player had either made a late run or slightly held a run, we could have had a shot from between the posts.
I actually thought WBA played OK last night. Obviously defended deeply but then at least tried to break. They were lucky though. The amount of loose balls that just fell to them and not to us was frustrating.

Agree with you and BER here as it ties in with what I posted earlier about running across defenders in the box. We're often static waiting for the ball to arrive rather than seeking it out.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #962 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:48 am »
So here's my take...

West Brom deserved the draw yesterday. They hounded us in our build up play and restricted our chances.....didn't completely sit back and went for it when they could. They seemed to have a lot of energy about them and they did well to limit our chances and frustrate us. Think they shocked us a bit with their approach so credit to them..

We should have won still. But we know that in games where our chances are limited we are hit and miss.....and we as a team are a bit all or nothing at times. So when it looks like it's gonna be a bad day for one player, it most likely will be for them all and that is exactly what happened. We were just disjointed and never clicked. Bad execution, bad decision making.

An annoying few days for the manager, I am glad he is rotating and it didn't quite come off this week....but I do think for games like the derby we need more of our better players on the pitch. The Chelsea game didn't bother me that much because it was a decent result against a really good team where it was important to make sure we were solid but Everton were shit. And should have been beaten. Everyone thought we'd blow West Brom away yesterday when looking at that team sheet....I know I did....but sometimes it doesn't work like that.

(Ain't for a second believing that nonsense about lost momentum though, they played together a week ago ffs)

Ref decisions haven't been going for us lately....we're a good team but we will have these ups and downs all season and will most likely be in competition for the top 4 all season.

Hopefully can finish the calendar year off well
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #963 on: December 14, 2017, 12:55:08 pm »
Explain?  WE have a richly assembled team compared with Burnley. Should we not be doing much better than them, relatively speaking?

We’re not even halfway through the season.  There is no reason to worry about a team overachieving.  It happens every year.  They will fall back to the mean when we get to the second half of the season.  Eventually, their 1-0 wins will fall back to 0-0 or 1-1 games and they won’t be picking up the same number of points as they are now. 

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #964 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:14 pm »
So here's my take...

West Brom deserved the draw yesterday. They hounded us in our build up play and restricted our chances.....didn't completely sit back and went for it when they could. They seemed to have a lot of energy about them and they did well to limit our chances and frustrate us. Think they shocked us a bit with their approach so credit to them..

I can agree that WBA defended well, but I can't agree that they deserved a draw. They were pretty lucky with the bounce of the ball when they made mistakes and Firmino, Salah and Mane could have easily taken one or all of the the chances they had and have scored harder ones in other games.

Could we have created more? Yes and it wasn't a great performance from us, but could have easily been a routine win and move on.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #965 on: December 14, 2017, 01:09:56 pm »
I can agree that WBA defended well, but I can't agree that they deserved a draw. They were pretty lucky with the bounce of the ball when they made mistakes and Firmino, Salah and Mane could have easily taken one or all of the the chances they had and have scored harder ones in other games.

Could we have created more? Yes and it wasn't a great performance from us, but could have easily been a routine win and move on.

I was astounded by this through the whole game. Every deflection and second ball seemed to fall in their favour.

Doesn't excuse us not scoring and for the second game in a row we didn't take our chances/get the rub of the green. Incredibly frustrating.

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #966 on: December 14, 2017, 01:12:15 pm »
I was astounded by this through the whole game. Every deflection and second ball seemed to fall in their favour.

Doesn't excuse us not scoring and for the second game in a row we didn't take our chances/get the rub of the green. Incredibly frustrating.

Happens all the time with us, I don't think we're aggressive enough in the penalty box.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #967 on: December 14, 2017, 01:24:58 pm »
More of a general note this.

Having conceded just 3 goals at home and not having lost a game is boss but it's now 3 consecutive games at home in the PL that we haven't won and we have more draws than wins. Here is hoping that changes asap.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: December 14, 2017, 01:36:04 pm »
More of a general note this.

Having conceded just 3 goals at home and not having lost a game is boss but it's now 3 consecutive games at home in the PL that we haven't won and we have more draws than wins. Here is hoping that changes asap.

The upside to this is you'd think the easiest thing to improve on should be your home form. We need to be more ruthless at home and be willing to take more risks.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: December 14, 2017, 01:37:28 pm »

I think they did because they were frustrated us and were aggressive in their defending across the pitch. They never gave any of our players an easy ride....and that's why I think they deserved a point.

Yes on balance we should have won anyway because we had the better chances, I just don't think that this draw was the worst to take because the opposition offered more
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #970 on: December 14, 2017, 01:44:38 pm »
Thankfully, I missed this game.  Not arsed as I'll take a draw or two here if we get 6 pts against Bournemouth and Arsenal.

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #971 on: December 14, 2017, 01:54:38 pm »
Klopp still hasn’t found a solution to beating teams set up like WBA, Everton etc....

Huddersfield?... Stoke?... Brighton?...

We had the solution but didn't execute it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #972 on: December 14, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »
Thankfully, I missed this game.  Not arsed as I'll take a draw or two here if we get 6 pts against Bournemouth and Arsenal.

Bollocks to that, we should of had 6 points from West Brom and Everton, strange mentality.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #973 on: December 14, 2017, 02:10:48 pm »
I think it's far from a given that we've found a way through those sides who are happy with a point or to let us have 70% of possession.

Five draws from nine league games at home to Burnley, Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton and West Brom.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: December 14, 2017, 02:19:44 pm »
We are just not good enough to challenge the title, should just focus on top 4 again this season
Believer

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: December 14, 2017, 02:30:30 pm »
I agree with some of the above posters who've said that West Brom played well. I thought they were quite impressive in their harrying of the ball and their defensive shape. It didn't help that we only sporadically tried to pull them out of this by making runs between the lines (more so in bursts of the second half), but they put in a very solid defensive performance. We should have won and we had the chances to do so but sometimes it just doesn't fall for you.

Having said that, and this might just be because of the shitshow on the weekend, but I thought the ref was very good last night. Let the game keep a good pace and was fairly consistent from what I could see. Good eye for the disallowed goal as well - just our luck that it was against our favour though. We do seem to have pretty poor luck, don't we?
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: December 14, 2017, 02:37:28 pm »
Not true, in the second half his quick penetrative passes we're exactly what we needed reminiscent of Gerrard who used to do that all the time, step up the speed up out of nowhere with quick one twos and interplay, the most dangerous we looked was actually down to these moments, and he also did the Gerrard esque ball to Ox which was our best chance and should have been a goal.

It's like everyone he doesn't score or assist or we win people say he has a bad performance, he didn't he was one of our best players and the best player on the pitch in the 2nd half, you're probably thinking about the couple times he lost the ball on the dribble and using that to paint a picture of a bad game when it isn't true.

If everyone else had a bad game like that where they still create a couple chances we would have won.

I’m pretty sure we watched the same game, and the passes you talked about, what came of them? Do you remember how many of those passes came to something useful? How many actual chances did we create in this game, and how many actually became shots on target?

The thing you mention about Gerrard, his “Hollywood” passes, I seem to remember that was one of his redeeming features, and yet was also one of his shortcomings. He was capable of the spectacular, but he was also culpable of being wasteful sometimes simply because he was at times over reliant on being spectacular. The need to make something happen often brought about a wastefulness which translated into lost attacks and blunted momentum on occasions.

I would put what Coutinho did last night into that category of wastefulness. He seemed to put an overriding emphasis that he alone had to be the game changer. His second half display, by and large, felt just as wasteful as the first, with added desperation to it. You could say he was trying, sure, but it isn’t that much different to how he kept trying to shoot from distance, and ended up wasting possession and creating an air of malaise which took over the atmosphere in the stadium.

I don’t remember him playing a single one-two passing combination all night either. He might have tried to force something, but I don’t remember us having any penetration besides the diagonal to Firmino, until Klopp made the change.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #977 on: December 14, 2017, 02:58:19 pm »
Bollocks to that, we should of had 6 points from West Brom and Everton, strange mentality.

Not living in the past --- and my mentality is fine, patient.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2017, 03:34:38 pm »
Still not a result we can shake off easilt. It basically cost us second place.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
I’m pretty sure we watched the same game, and the passes you talked about, what came of them? Do you remember how many of those passes came to something useful? How many actual chances did we create in this game, and how many actually became shots on target?

The thing you mention about Gerrard, his “Hollywood” passes, I seem to remember that was one of his redeeming features, and yet was also one of his shortcomings. He was capable of the spectacular, but he was also culpable of being wasteful sometimes simply because he was at times over reliant on being spectacular. The need to make something happen often brought about a wastefulness which translated into lost attacks and blunted momentum on occasions.

I would put what Coutinho did last night into that category of wastefulness. He seemed to put an overriding emphasis that he alone had to be the game changer. His second half display, by and large, felt just as wasteful as the first, with added desperation to it. You could say he was trying, sure, but it isn’t that much different to how he kept trying to shoot from distance, and ended up wasting possession and creating an air of malaise which took over the atmosphere in the stadium.

I don’t remember him playing a single one-two passing combination all night either. He might have tried to force something, but I don’t remember us having any penetration besides the diagonal to Firmino, until Klopp made the change.

What came of it? Our best chance of the game which Ox missed and then Solanke. I'm not talking about no Hollywood passes, says as much about your view of Gerrarf than my own, I was talking those lovely pacey ground passes he used to do, the penetrative ones where if his teammate was to return it back suddenly you've got a nice opening.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2017, 03:43:01 pm »
We are just not good enough to challenge the title, should just focus on top 4 again this season

Well not to be rude but no shit, CIty are just on another level.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: December 14, 2017, 03:57:20 pm »
Can someone give me some stats on how we do when we have 60/70+ possession? Feel like we win more games when the possession is fairly even. Whenever the opposition has about 30% possession, we seem to struggle, which is odd.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #982 on: December 14, 2017, 04:15:10 pm »
Can someone give me some stats on how we do when we have 60/70+ possession? Feel like we win more games when the possession is fairly even. Whenever the opposition has about 30% possession, we seem to struggle, which is odd.

It’s been pointed out by POP I think that we win allot more with around 50/55% possession and struggle when we have much higher possession

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #983 on: December 14, 2017, 04:18:26 pm »

2015-16 (Klopp games only) - We only won 33% of games where we had 65% possession or more, but won 47% of games where we had less than 65% possession

2016-17 - We won 41% of games where we had 65% possession or more, but we won 76% of the games where we had less than 65% possession

2017-18 - so far, we've only won 33% of the games where we've had 65% possession or more, but we've won 54% of the games where we had less than 65% possession

All league games only.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: December 14, 2017, 04:23:31 pm »
2015-16 (Klopp games only) - We only won 33% of games where we had 65% possession or more, but won 47% of games where we had less than 65% possession

2016-17 - We won 41% of games where we had 65% possession or more, but we won 76% of the games where we had less than 65% possession

2017-18 - so far, we've only won 33% of the games where we've had 65% possession or more, but we've won 54% of the games where we had less than 65% possession

All league games only.

Dortmund fans said that Klopp sides struggled to break down the opposition when they gave Dortmund the ball. Could be a tactical black spot there.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #985 on: December 14, 2017, 04:27:56 pm »
Was actually thinking we should give the other team the ball and sit back in our half a bit let them come at us a bit - then I remembered our defence.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: December 14, 2017, 04:30:57 pm »
Dortmund fans said that Klopp sides struggled to break down the opposition when they gave Dortmund the ball. Could be a tactical black spot there.
I think we did break west brom though, certainly made enough chances to kill off the game. Trent put in two or so balls that should of been goals, mane should of scored if it was the usual mane, salah should have probably scored etc

It was just an off day from the front 4. problem is we have no-one on the bench to change the game and score goals when one or two of them are having an off day.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: December 14, 2017, 04:32:51 pm »
What came of it? Our best chance of the game which Ox missed and then Solanke. I'm not talking about no Hollywood passes, says as much about your view of Gerrarf than my own, I was talking those lovely pacey ground passes he used to do, the penetrative ones where if his teammate was to return it back suddenly you've got a nice opening.

So you gave me one good chance out of how many throughballs he attempted? The best chances in the game were manufactured by Salah, Firmino and TAA, and Gomez for that cross for the disallowed goal. Coutinho by and large did nothing of note all night, most of his passing were to players in dead ends and really were not effective. Forcing the play through pretty through balls is not a good example of effective passing.

It’s ok, he’s had many good ones. But you have to call a spade a spade.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: December 14, 2017, 04:33:18 pm »
I think we did break west brom though, certainly made enough chances to kill off the game. Trent put in two or so balls that should of been goals, mane should of scored if it was the usual mane, salah should have probably scored etc

It was just an off day from the front 4. problem is we have no-one on the bench to change the game and score goals when one or two of them are having an off day.

The trend or the stat specifically indicates there is a problem though. In isolation yes we should have won but the stats indicate an area where Klopp could be struggling.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: December 14, 2017, 04:36:14 pm »
A lucky cross/shot and pen and we are not having these conversations.

Fine margins n all that but yeah we did have good chances not taken in 180 minutes of football recently....poor execution in final 3rd when we need it. Much harder to score when the chances are few and far between, maybe its just the type of player Klopp deploys.

Usually younger and usually less composed in those specific match scenarios.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: December 14, 2017, 04:36:20 pm »
Was actually thinking we should give the other team the ball and sit back in our half a bit let them come at us a bit - then I remembered our defence.

We don't have to sit back in our half. Maybe if we let their defenders make the first pass into midfield, instead of pressing the life out of every defender, we might give them a chance to form gaps that we can counter-attack into. Instead, they are just sending it out, wide, long, and high, and we start building up between defence and midfield again, before hoping four attackers can create a good chance against 8 defenders.

The 1-2-4-3 we played against Brighton seemed to be the solution - Klopp probably should have looked at that as more than a temporary novelty.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #991 on: December 14, 2017, 04:38:28 pm »
We don't have to sit back in our half. Maybe if we let their defenders make the first pass into midfield, instead of pressing the life out of every defender, we might give them a chance to form gaps that we can counter-attack into. Instead, they are just sending it out, wide, long, and high, and we start building up between defence and midfield again, before hoping four attackers can create a good chance against 8 defenders.

The 1-2-4-3 we played against Brighton seemed to be the solution - Klopp probably should have looked at that as more than a temporary novelty.

Would it not be preferable to play Ox instead of Gini in midfield. Least Ox has somewhat of the skill set to drive forward with the ball and pressure the defenders, rather than Gini who recycles the ball wide and backwards?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: December 14, 2017, 04:43:05 pm »
Would it not be preferable to play Ox instead of Gini in midfield. Least Ox has somewhat of the skill set to drive forward with the ball and pressure the defenders, rather than Gini who recycles the ball wide and backwards?

I would go with that. But against those teams, I would also say it's not necessary to play four defenders too. A back three, 4 in midfield, and 3 up front, and put as many creative players on as possible, would probably overhwhelm the defensive block teams, like it did Brighton. But I'm not sure we have enough creative players to do that. So dropping off to the halfway line, and starting our press from there, would force them to play a bit, especially if we reciprocated their long passes by sending the ball back up to them, and letting them start again. It would get boring after 20 minutes, but eventually one of them would make a mistake and leave position, and that's where we could hit them. Especially if we scored first. Instead of trying to get the second immediately, we would be letting them do what's natural to them, and push forward to try to equalize. This is the strategy that Conte, Mourinho, Rafa, Simeone, Ancellotti etc. have used to such great effect.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #993 on: December 14, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »
I would go with that. But against those teams, I would also say it's not necessary to play four defenders too. A back three, 4 in midfield, and 3 up front, and put as many creative players on as possible, would probably overhwhelm the defensive block teams, like it did Brighton. But I'm not sure we have enough creative players to do that. So dropping off to the halfway line, and starting our press from there, would force them to play a bit, especially if we reciprocated their long passes by sending the ball back up to them, and letting them start again. It would get boring after 20 minutes, but eventually one of them would make a mistake and leave position, and that's where we could hit them. Especially if we scored first. Instead of trying to get the second immediately, we would be letting them do what's natural to them, and push forward to try to equalize. This is the strategy that Conte, Mourinho, Rafa, Simeone, Ancellotti etc. have used to such great effect.

We've mostly been very clinical in front of goal I think this season. I think it's just been a few games that we've actually failed to create and score the chances, least Salah is proving to be quite clinical in that respect. It's just been back to back games now that we've been stifled to a point. I think yesterday we had at least 4 good opportunities to actually put the ball in the net and just failed to capitalize on them. Firmino's shot in the first half, should have squared it to an open Coutinho, Salah had a few good chances with the boot and head to put us ahead, not to mention the Solanke disallowed goal. So we definitely had opportunities.

I'd like to see us go to a back 3 as well, although with Moreno out do you think this might put pressure on Robertson? I don't know what happened to him yesterday but he seemed to have an aversion to crossing the ball, something people have remarked on how good we was at this in his previous games. I can't imagine it's on instruction to not do it, because TAA was doing that quite a bit on the other side.

I don't believe Bournemouth will setup to defend with 10 behind the ball, although that would be the route to go considering we struggle with that kind of thinking, but as you say it's a different kettle of fish, playing an Allardyce 10 man defense than a Howe 10 man defense, something he doesn't really use.

I also think Keita coming in next season will see our midfield be a lot more proactive and hopefully with Lallana back soon, that will pick up, I think he's been a huge miss this season.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:54:21 pm by cHappyHannukan »

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: December 14, 2017, 04:54:10 pm »

Our pressing from the front is reduced this season. Pressing maps prove that.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »
Our pressing from the front is reduced this season. Pressing maps prove that.

Pressing maps? Or maps where tackles are made?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: December 14, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »
We've mostly been very clinical in front of goal I think this season. I think it's just been a few games that we've actually failed to create and score the chances, least Salah is proving to be quite clinical in that respect. It's just been back to back games now that we've been stifled to a point. I think yesterday we had at least 4 good opportunities to actually put the ball in the net and just failed to capitalize on them. Firmino's shot in the first half, should have squared it to an open Coutinho, Salah had a few good chances with the boot and head to put us ahead, not to mention the Solanke disallowed goal. So we definitely had opportunities.

I'd like to see us go to a back 3 as well, although with Moreno out do you think this might put pressure on Robertson? I don't know what happened to him yesterday but he seemed to have an aversion to crossing the ball, something people have remarked on how good we was at this in his previous games. I can't imagine it's on instruction to not do it, because TAA was doing that quite a bit on the other side.

I don't believe Bournemouth will setup to defend with 10 behind the ball, although that would be the route to go considering we struggle with that kind of thinking, but as you say it's a different kettle of fish, playing an Allardyce 10 man defense than a Howe 10 man defense, something he doesn't really use.

I also think Keita coming in next season will see our midfield be a lot more proactive and hopefully with Lallana back soon, that will pick up, I think he's been a huge miss this season.

We've been quite clinical, for sure. But not against the teams where we had an absurd amount of possession. In those games, we average just over a goal a game. In the remaining games, we average just under 3 goals per game. There seems to be an inverse correlation for us between amount of possession and goals scored, even though shots on target are roughly the same. Is it possible we're getting shots in those games from bad areas (i.e. outside the box, or very wide of the goal)?

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #997 on: December 14, 2017, 06:13:34 pm »

All league games only.

I guess though those stats could be misleading. When a game is 0-0 the opposition (especially at home) will allow us possession. Once we are 1-0 up surely the opposition will come out and play and try and get a goal back (exclude Everton). So based on that our possession decreases and we have the opportunity to counter attack more, but we are already winning.

What are the possession stats before the first goal we score?

A big concern for me is why we don't seem to score late goals. Surely with all that possession we should be wearing teams down and having more opportunities but that doesn't seem to be the case. We don't seem to be great at throwing the "kitchen sink" at games, and that is normally when it starts getting messy in the oppositions penalty box. For the most part West Brom were comfortable and so were Everton in the latter stages. Maybe the late subs don't help momentum?
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #998 on: December 14, 2017, 06:14:10 pm »
Another clean sheet

Good stuff
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #999 on: December 14, 2017, 06:27:47 pm »
I guess though those stats could be misleading. When a game is 0-0 the opposition (especially at home) will allow us possession. Once we are 1-0 up surely the opposition will come out and play and try and get a goal back (exclude Everton). So based on that our possession decreases and we have the opportunity to counter attack more, but we are already winning.

That doesn't really have a bearing on it, though. With 70% possession, we should be doing a lot more. For example, against Crystal Palace we had 71% possession and 13 shots on target, and scored 1 goal. That is probably our most inefficient game to date, but Hennessey had a great game that day and was equal to our efforts. But with 70% possession or more (or even 65% possession or more), we should be creating better quality shots - after all, the opposition are either unable to get the ball, or are happy for us to have it, or a combination of both. In these games, we don't seem to have the requisite guile to take advantage of our domination.

What are the possession stats before the first goal we score?

I'd have to go through every game, but I'd say 65% or more :D

A big concern for me is why we don't seem to score late goals. Surely with all that possession we should be wearing teams down and having more opportunities but that doesn't seem to be the case. We don't seem to be great at throwing the "kitchen sink" at games, and that is normally when it starts getting messy in the oppositions penalty box. For the most part West Brom were comfortable and so were Everton in the latter stages. Maybe the late subs don't help momentum?

If we're not throwing the kitchen sink at teams late-on, then that's a tactical problem. If we're not able to maintain intensity for 90 minutes, then that is a training problem. If our subs aren't able to change the game, then maybe our squad is not as strong as people think?