Author Topic: CL Draw - Round of 16  (Read 50881 times)

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
Re: CL Draw - Round of 16
« Reply #640 on: February 11, 2020, 10:51:02 pm »
Expect diving, whinging and general slowing down of the game by Atletico.   They want it to become a fight,  we just have to rise above their shithousery.   An early goal will make them come out and play.   Reckon we need Naby for this tie to give us that drive through the middle. 
Klopp that!

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:55 am »
If this was Atletico Madrid from 2013-16 I would actually have it as a 50-50 tie because their style of play is a horrible matchup for us. Atletico clearly aren't the force they was back then as shit business in the transfer market has sent them backwards. They lack a clinical striker and when your coming up against the best defence in world football if you can't score goals your asking for trouble. They don't concede many so don't think it will be a hammering but I can see us overcoming them probably 2-0 on aggregate with a 1-0 win in both legs.

Can't see anybody but us or Real Madrid winning it this season, clearly the best two teams on the planet right now and have the winning mentality in this competition.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:47:56 am by kloppagetime »

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
« Reply #642 on: February 12, 2020, 03:06:05 am »
If this was Atletico Madrid from 2013-16 I would actually have it as a 50-50 tie because their style of play is a horrible matchup for us. Atletico clearly aren't the force they was back then as shit business in the transfer market has sent them backwards. They lack a clinical striker and when your coming up against the best defence in world football if you can't score goals your asking for trouble. They don't concede many so don't think it will be a hammering but I can see us overcoming them probably 2-0 on aggregate with a 1-0 win in both legs.

Can't see anybody but us or Real Madrid winning it this season, clearly the best two teams on the planet right now and have the winning mentality in this competition.

I'd have Bayern an outside chance.   Do expect the winner out of City / Real will go through to the final though.
Klopp that!

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: February 12, 2020, 03:12:21 am »
I'd have Bayern an outside chance.   Do expect the winner out of City / Real will go through to the final though.
I've got a German team as my outside chance as well but it's not Bayern, it's RB Leipzig I think Liepzig have what it takes to be this year's Monaco/Ajax team.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: February 12, 2020, 03:39:44 am »
I've got a German team as my outside chance as well but it's not Bayern, it's RB Leipzig I think Liepzig have what it takes to be this year's Monaco/Ajax team.

Leipzig are too inconsistent at the moment, and while they have some good talented players, Bayern are a much better side. Kimmich,Thiago is a fantastic partnership in midfield, and then you have the likes of Gnabry,and Lewandowski. Alaba and Davies have been excellent as well, they're filled with quality. Their weakness is their defending and their current coach.

But Leipzig blow hot and cold during games. I think they'll get past Tottenham, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made stupid decisions and mistakes.

If PSG can keep Neymar,Mbappe,Icardi and Verrati healthy, they'll go a long way despite Tuchel being a tit, and them having failed in the past, their front three [and then Cavani as well] is a threat to any side including us.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #645 on: February 12, 2020, 09:38:05 am »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #646 on: February 12, 2020, 09:42:54 am »

No chance.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #647 on: February 12, 2020, 02:59:22 pm »
Actually loads of open match-ups. Don't see any Cinderella stories this time around, PSG or ManCity will get to a semifinal finally though (but not further).
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: February 14, 2020, 11:55:32 pm »
I see Atletico failed to win again. We're certainly catching them in a slump.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: February 15, 2020, 12:48:01 pm »
While they are in poor form, EC is a whole different competition. I remember when we got smashed by Soton, days before we beat Juventus at Anfield, and so many other countless times that year. Chelsea finished 8th in the league when they won it.

No sign of Morata,Felix and Costa on the bench for their game yesterday.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #650 on: February 15, 2020, 01:04:53 pm »
I see Atletico failed to win again. We're certainly catching them in a slump.

They would’ve had the extra days rest and no travel, gonna be difficult regardless of the slump. A good a time as ever to face them though

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #651 on: February 15, 2020, 01:46:15 pm »
While they are in poor form, EC is a whole different competition. I remember when we got smashed by Soton, days before we beat Juventus at Anfield, and so many other countless times that year. Chelsea finished 8th in the league when they won it.

No sign of Morata,Felix and Costa on the bench for their game yesterday.

Yeah exactly. While I know we are a superior team, Atletico are gonna be motivated cause other than the fight for top 4, CL is the only trophy they can aim for this season that also happens to be the greatest in club football which they haven't won yet :) Plus they like to make a match a miserable affair for their opponents.

Many moments yesterday when I was looking at them with despair cause literally their furthest forward player was just behind the semicircle in their own half. Like even if you wanna hit the opponent in the counter, you are way too deep.

Morata came on as a sub yesterday and had a good chance with a header.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #652 on: February 15, 2020, 01:50:06 pm »
Yep, this is probably as good a time to play them since Simeone's been there, funnily enough. I know they have a few injuries at the minute, but their starting side last night looked quite underwhelming. Their best player for me is Oblak, what a goalie, for me him and Alisson are the best around. If they had someone of a lesser quality than him I'd be very confident of us going through, not saying we won't, but he is an amazing keeper. Good job they have no Godin either, he was immense for them, even if he was getting on in years. I really like Saul in midfield, too.

I like Simeone a lot, even if he was a bit of a shithouse, like Atletico too, who've had a lot of success in the last decade despite what their bigger city rivals have done, some teams could learn a lot from that. They'll make it very hard for us and I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a clean sheet at home. At Anfield I think it'll be a different story, I worry about the referee though, they seem to love falling for all the bullshit foreign teams do against us in Europe, and I'm sure it'll be no different here. Get beyond that though, and I do think we'll go through because we're clearly the better side. Don't want to see another Benfica situation like in 06

Remember they were very lucky against us in the 2010 Uefa Cup semis, we should have gone through their, and we'd have beat Fulham in the final. Still fuming about that  ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:51:45 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline AttaRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #653 on: February 15, 2020, 05:12:33 pm »
Morata was on the bench and came on, had a decent header saved in the last 10 minutes. Atletico conceded both goals from set pieces, and had big issues at left back last night. Simeone took the starting left back Lodi off and switched the right back over to left back, 10 minutes later he took the right back who'd switched to left back off and put Saul there, who got beat by Ferran Torres every time. They are weak down the flanks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: February 15, 2020, 11:03:01 pm »
COMEEEE ONNN REDMENNNN

Nothing like a European match featuring the Reds

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #655 on: February 15, 2020, 11:29:45 pm »
They've started a decline, we're at, or perhaps only yet near, our peak. Both teams have excellent goalkeepers. We have Virgil van Dijk. They have an attack that hardly scores. We have Sadio Mane, Mo Salah and Bobby Firmino. They have combative midfielders who can play a bit. We have the most "functional" midfield in the world. It does everything, really well. We could lose - it's always possible in a two-legged tie or a one-off match. But we should win, for sure. They'll be far more worried about what we might do than we will be concerned by their possibilities. Cool heads, patience and ruthlessness, and we should do this.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:31:24 pm by Ma Vie en Rouge »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #656 on: February 16, 2020, 05:12:53 pm »
Is it time yet? Can't wait for the CL to start. Many good teams are left as per usual, but with luck we have a real chance to keep it for another year.

C'mon Redmen!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."