Author Topic: Injury (and absence) related chat (so the news is kept in the other thread)  (Read 577221 times)

Offline MosDefKop

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Interesting discussion apart from the shout to play Trent in central midfield.
I would not trust him to stay concentrated and focussed enough to play quality consistent ninety minutes week after week.

I assumed the long term aim was to buy Bellingham alongside the 'one' that comes through most impressively between Jones/Elliot/Carvarlho.  But now seems clear Klopp wants two new ones bearing in mind the Tchouaméni bid.

I would hope now we are at the top of the transfer tree that we can now ensure we buy the best who also have the best injury records and avoid the Tiago/Ox transfers  (Keita's record was good before coming here). That is essential.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On another note, does anyone know what the hell is going on with Ramsay?

I was just wondering - how bad was this injury that we discovered? he's missed 6 weeks so far with no return date in sight.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
But is Trent as a midfielder the answer to our midfield problems?
that is not what I'm saying.  I'm talking about a situation where we lose a couple more from midfield while Thiago is still out.  Trent in midfield beyond that isn't a great idea at all.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
Or just sign a top quality player that can improve the Team
that doesn't look likely at the moment.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On another note, does anyone know what the hell is going on with Ramsay?

I was just wondering - how bad was this injury that we discovered? he's missed 6 weeks so far with no return date in sight.

They discovered something in his medical and so he's only trained once properly. But he did go to Austria with the group though.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Sam, the problem is that our midfield has very specific jobs to do, that aren't really about creating (though it's welcome when it happens).

How do we know that Trent can perform those duties? If he can't he could leave us horribly exposed. It's not really about spatial positioning and more about the burden that would be on him as a midfielder compared to the very different one that is one him as a full back.

I think he might have played a few minutes in midfield for England (I don't know as I don't watch them) but that's not the same as playing in an Klopp midfield
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
He finds himself on the right ‘of midfield’ because he’s an attacking right back, not because he’s a natural midfielder.
semantics man.  plus as you know, he was a midfielder BEFORE he became an attacking RB. 

We’ve got better cover at LB, stick Robbo in CM and Tsimikas at LB. Sorted.
Joe isn't good cover at RB now? Wow.  news to me -- and Jurgen, and just about everyone else on here, I'd think.

It’s utter nonsense, like saying any attacking full back should play there. Why not Robbo? We’ve got better cover at LB, stick Robbo in CM and Tsimikas at LB. Sorted.

putting Robbo in midfield?  LOL.  as sensible an argument as “put Ali at CB”.

Trent spends so much time in the attacking third coz because he's fucking good there, he meshes so well with Mo and the other attackers, provides pinpoint passes and can shoot great.

what I'm suggesting is:
in a pinch - simply tell Trent to play his usual game but with reduced defending duties, which Joe can mop up.  I’ve no clue why the idea offends you so much.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
Wonder if we go 4-2-3-1 with so many of the midfielders out?

2 from Fab, Hendo, Milner and Naby

Diaz and Salah, plus Bobby or Carvalho behind Nunez

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Sam, the problem is that our midfield has very specific jobs to do, that aren't really about creating (though it's welcome when it happens).

How do we know that Trent can perform those duties? If he can't he could leave us horribly exposed. It's not really about spatial positioning and more about the burden that would be on him as a midfielder compared to the very different one that is one him as a full back.

I think he might have played a few minutes in midfield for England (I don't know as I don't watch them) but that's not the same as playing in an Klopp midfield

If by creating you mean assists, sure. But Thiago’s signing, and clear importance to us, shows that we really want our midfield to progress the ball.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
If by creating you mean assists, sure. But Thiago’s signing, and clear importance to us, shows that we really want our midfield to progress the ball.
True enough, though he still has to do the covering and troubleshooting stuff. They all do. It's a pretty hard job being an LFC midfielder.

And yes I was referring to the assists because there's this idea that Trent in midfield would be a sort of Beckham redux. Perhaps he would a bit but he'd have so much else to do as well, and it's unclear how he'd be at those tasks
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan

yep, agree about the work expected from the midfielders, Ghost .... but I have a hard time thinking that Trent would not be intuitively very aware of what Hendo (eg) does defensively when Trent is at RB, and any deficiency he does show regarding defending would be addressed via Joe being there.

(btw as for him playing in mid for England, I put zero weight in that "experience")

anyhow I think this horse is now pretty beaten to death. :)

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
I see we are in Trent in midfield stage of grief. Soon we will enter the Gini on loan stage.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
You've stirred things up here Sam, with this Trent into midfield suggestion.

Never works though, fiddling about with the team and changing a players accepted natural position. You just have to look at Ray Kennedy and see how badly that went  ;)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I see we are in Trent in midfield stage of grief. Soon we will enter the Gini on loan stage.

Thats long, long past. Fromola was there 11 months ago.

We'll be at 'Bobby in midfield' soon though, that'll be interesting
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thats long, long past. Fromola was there 11 months ago.

We'll be at 'Bobby in midfield' soon though, that'll be interesting

No no.  Its Matip in midfield.........then its Bobby in midfield after that.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
If Trent were cloned then there’d be an argument to play ver 2 in the Henderson position. Trent could play as an 8 in the way Henderson plays it. But we only want someone to play it that way because Trent is the RB! The issue with Trent is he’s not very press resistant and doesn’t play on the half turn, so he couldn’t be a more traditional 8.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

Is Jay Spearing match fit yet?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
You've stirred things up here Sam, with this Trent into midfield suggestion.

hey don't blame me - blame the buggers who gave us a 9-day break between games.  :)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Is Jay Spearing match fit yet?

Ibeee!
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
also lost in the mix is Kostas - what's the status there?

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
Wonder if we go 4-2-3-1 with so many of the midfielders out?

2 from Fab, Hendo, Milner and Naby

Diaz and Salah, plus Bobby or Carvalho behind Nunez

That would be my shout - why not give it a try against Palace. Having Bobby and Nunez and then Carvalho to come on.
I would add Elliot to the mix in Midfield 2 as well. First as sub or in League cup match

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Some reports said the Thiago injury was not as bad as feared. So is the 6 weeks definitive or is he going for another scan to determine the extent? Is there any point in me hoping and praying he can be back before the 6 weeks?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Some reports said the Thiago injury was not as bad as feared. So is the 6 weeks definitive or is he going for another scan to determine the extent? Is there any point in me hoping and praying he can be back before the 6 weeks?

don't do it. even if he comes back early - the chance of him getting injured again before the end of 2022 is high.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Don't follow intl football too much, does he play a lot for Spain?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Don't follow intl football too much, does he play a lot for Spain?

he's been eased out of the national set up in the last 2 years (a lot because he's injured all the time).

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sky ticker tape says up to Six weeks via Jürgen. Gutted :(

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Sky ticker tape says up to Six weeks via Jürgen. Gutted :(

And sadly another few weeks to get up to speed again.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Klopp just said 4-6 weeks in presser
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And sadly another few weeks to get up to speed again.
Yeah it'll be 9 or 10 weeks really (at least).

That's without even thinking of anyone else getting injured.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Yeah it'll be 9 or 10 weeks really (at least).

That's without even thinking of anyone else getting injured.

If it was 10 weeks then we would surely sign someone
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Klopp on signing new midfielder: “It has to be the right player, not just a player. If we had the right solution then we would have done it already. We are not stubborn”. 🔴 #LFC

“We have had a lot of conversations already and it doesn't look like anything will happen”.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Don't think time scale makes a difference. We won't sign anyone else this window.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Can't see why it would suddenly push us into action? Numbers-wise right now we've got six out of nine first team CMs available, and hopefully Curtis out not too much longer. This isn't 2020 when we literally didn't have a senior CB. I know people are going to lose their shit over it, but this is how the gaffer works.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
So there isn't a single obtainable midfield player in all of Europe/World that we could get for a reasonable price and who would fit into the team and actualy help us? This is the conclusion of world's best scouting minds? Yeah, not buying that to be honest. Whatever their reason, it's not because there are no players available.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
4-6 weeks for Thiago isn't too bad, I thought way longer at first judging from the mood. Suspect it will likely be 6 weeks rather than 4 so probably after that 1st international break.

Don't want to make this a transfer thread.. but really does seem like we have a specific target(s) in mind who is just unattainable right now and we are prepared to wait.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So there isn't a single obtainable midfield player in all of Europe/World that we could get for a reasonable price and who would fit into the team and actualy help us? This is the conclusion of world's best scouting minds? Yeah, not buying that to be honest. Whatever their reason, it's not because there are no players available.

He didn't say that though did he?

We don't do tiny improvements just for the sake of having an extra body. I mean I'm sure we could drop £40 million on Tielemans, or £60 million on Ndidi, £50 million on Fornals, to improve the squad but it doesn't particularly make sense does it? I'm sure we could get Milenkovic-Savic if we offer Lazio £60 million and offer him £200k a week....but seemingly we don't see him as the next major signing in midfield so wouldn't do that, as it likely means we then don't get the player we do.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
He didn't say that though did he?

We don't do tiny improvements just for the sake of having an extra body. I mean I'm sure we could drop £40 million on Tielemans, or £60 million on Ndidi, £50 million on Fornals, to improve the squad but it doesn't particularly make sense does it? I'm sure we could get Milenkovic-Savic if we offer Lazio £60 million and offer him £200k a week....but seemingly we don't see him as the next major signing in midfield so wouldn't do that, as it likely means we then don't get the player we do.

We'll need a few midfield additions next season so I'd assume none of them are available this Summer. You can look at it from a glass half full perspective and think we've had positive indicators from Bellingham and maybe another, or we simply want to be in the conversation for our first choice targets and don't want their spots filled in now.

Feels like it's going to be a real balancing act this season. Just have to hope we get some luck and it tips in our favour.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
Klopp just said 4-6 weeks in presser

He said I read 4-6 weeks I would prefer 4.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:55:05 am by paisley1977 »
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
We'll need a few midfield additions next season so I'd assume none of them are available this Summer. You can look at it from a glass half full perspective and think we've had positive indicators from Bellingham and maybe another, or we simply want to be in the conversation for our first choice targets and don't want their spots filled in now.

Feels like it's going to be a real balancing act this season. Just have to hope we get some luck and it tips in our favour.

It’s weird going into a season hoping for luck when there are surely players that improve our first team.

We could arguably need 3 midfielders next year.