Author Topic: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0  (Read 42994 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0
« Reply #480 on: February 19, 2019, 11:08:49 pm »
The difference being that if we did that away at any of those sides I’d fancy us at home, although I’d still be nervous about the away goal.

Having watched them park the bus, albeit very well, I’m interested to see what they do to hurt us in Munich without leaving themselves massively open. They had an opportunity tonight with Van Dijk out which they won’t be getting next week.

I think anyone with a modicum of sense has respect for what was an excellent away performance, but I’m unsure what they can do to finish the job at home as I massively fancy us to get at least one there when they don’t have 3 men defending the space every time we put a ball in the box.

I think it's pretty clear that they fancy themselves against us at their place.

I'm sure we'll see a different approach from them in Munich, but that could suit us just as much as they think it might suit them. Like you, I fancy us to score over there. We are more than capable. If we are on our game over there, the lack of attacking ambition they had on show tonight just might be their undoing over the course of the entire tie.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: February 19, 2019, 11:19:38 pm »
I don't think they defended particularly poorly but also I'm not going to go overboard and pretend they were Simeone lite. If we didn't keep butchering our final pass or show no composure we could be taking a nice lead abroad. It's okay though. I still believe we can and will score at least 2 there. If I'm wrong and showing them no respect so be it. I'm not going to apologise for it.

No you’re right, it was no where near Simeone esque as Simeone teams defend from midfield, win the ball back and break. Bayern struggled to do that today and only really posed an attacking threat when they could whip the ball into the box.

I’m just saying that they defended brilliantly. Personally I struggle to see how they build. That in the second leg and you’re definitely right when you say our final ball was off as it definitely was.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #482 on: February 19, 2019, 11:21:08 pm »
Fucking professionally nach Westen Brom'd us.

Felt like a game of poker. Lucky hands, unlucky hands.

I reckon the away leg will be just as tight, and I am throwing a few bob on us to win on pens in Munich.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: February 19, 2019, 11:21:13 pm »
I'd rate Roma, PSG and Sevilla far higher from recent teams that came to Anfield in Europe. Defensively they were mostly solid and had some decent build up play but they seemed like the old Stoke at times the way they lumped it up and in their physicality.

It will be difficult at their place - the atmosphere will be intense but an early goal and I reckom it will be comfortable for us.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool v Bayern
« Reply #484 on: February 19, 2019, 11:26:00 pm »
If we'd have pulled that off away to Real, Barca, Juventus etc we would all be raving about it.

That's true, Spion. They got what they came for. They did that well.

Just makes the 2nd leg more exciting.  :)
This tension game after game with the pressure building is beautiful. It's like supporting a football team hunting for all the top prizes.  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Online LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2019, 11:29:24 pm »
I don't think they were anything special at the back. Tidy yes, but we didn't make it difficult for them. A solid Meh to both teams.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: February 19, 2019, 11:37:31 pm »
Fabinho I thought was fucking brilliant tonight, you’d never guess he was a centre mid if that was the first you’d seen of him. Matip also had a good game.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2019, 11:38:54 pm »
Bearing in mind we started the game with our 4th and 5th choice CBs, it's not a bad result at all.

They probably have the advantage though.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2019, 11:54:31 pm »
A solid Meh to both teams.

It wasn´t like a Cardiff vs. Newcastle game, it was what it looks like when two really good teams end up nullifying each other in the end.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2019, 11:56:29 pm »
Bearing in mind we started the game with our 4th and 5th choice CBs, it's not a bad result at all.

They probably have the advantage though.

Not sure they have an advantage when they didn't score an away goal. I think the advantage is slightly ours as a score draw takes us through so how can they be the ones with the advantage?

Obviously they have a good chance of going through but not any more than we do.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: February 20, 2019, 12:01:52 am »
Good result for us tonight (could be better, but results could always be better).  Not one shot on target from Bayern.  Our touch was lacking and we looked a bit rusty all round.  Confident we will get the goal(s) we need to finish the job in Munich.  Not sure how anyone can say Bayern have the advantage?  They have to win, we don’t.  The only frustrating aspect of the game was our lack of shots, seemed to want to over engineer everything.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:05:12 am by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #491 on: February 20, 2019, 12:04:45 am »
I was very concerned that we would ship a goal or two before the game started, would have rather got a win obviously but very pleased with the clean sheet with VVD out. Basically they have to outscore us 2-1 now, the advantage is ours. Obviously not a walk in the park going away to Bayern but solid result, i mean its two great teams so its close, makes sense. They might feel happy they can turn us over but i dont thinks so.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: February 20, 2019, 12:07:08 am »
bayern defended really well their fullbacks are excellent . glad that kimmach out next leg ... o and these warm weather jollys are not helping things

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: February 20, 2019, 12:12:09 am »
Couldn't quite get it done in the second half after a very good stretch in the first half when we lacked composure to finish our chances. Thought in general the spine was very good, apart from a few nervy moments for Alisson and Matip, but both fullbacks were wasteful and really not on their game. Mo was a bit poor and always seemed to be missing something, usually the final ball or touch leading to a chance. Mane worked hard and generally did well in the build up but he was quite wasteful.

All in all, it's a decent result, not conceding was paramount. The tie is still open with no real favourite, but at their place they'll have to open up and leave some space in behind their fullbacks. We're still in with an excellent chance to go through.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: February 20, 2019, 12:13:09 am »
Van Dijk back in.  Kimmich out.  I like our chances in the second leg.  Bring on United.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: February 20, 2019, 12:25:12 am »
Wayyyyyyyy too much being made of their defending. Our attacking was poor for most of the game, final ball was awful near enough all night and the fullbacks didn't play well. They literally did what west ham did, defence focused centrally and all defenders sitting back with midfield sitting right in front of them

They had their strong moments in defence but fucking Mourinhos man u had some games where they just sat back defensively and didn't look like conceding. How many times was Martinez rolling around, gritting his teeth, clutching his leg and timewasting? Give us a half decent final ball tonight and they concede at least 2

I respect Bayern and still think they're a very strong side but fuck all the advantage Bayern talk, they've got no away goal, no Kimmich, were blunt as fuck in attack, Lewandowski did nothing and they need to outscore us in the second leg. Their best play in attack all came from Gnabry, who got past Andy twice and hit some hopeful shots from distance none of which were on target. I think we're in a much stronger position than them because they aren't keeping a clean sheet
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:29:16 am by RyanBabel19 »

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #496 on: February 20, 2019, 12:27:21 am »
Wayyyyyyyy too much being made of their defending.

It wasn´t their defending. It was their attacking threat and ability to keep the ball, which meant we had to much more than usual just to be in a position for our attacking efforts to be stifled.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: February 20, 2019, 12:31:22 am »
It wasn´t their defending. It was their attacking threat and ability to keep the ball, which meant we had to much more than usual just to be in a position for our attacking efforts to be stifled.

There was no attacking threat that's the thing. We had our 4th choice CB and a CM in defence, we couldn't go gung ho and leave the back exposed but they offered next to nothing, just kind of passed it about loads, didn't really create with it, lost it, then put everyone behind the ball

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: February 20, 2019, 12:35:33 am »
Drew 0-0 with porto last year. Only difference is the aways the second leg this time. 5-0 in munchen. Up the reds
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2019, 12:36:31 am »
Decent result. Next leg will be fascinating. They have to attack, we are built for that.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2019, 12:36:36 am »
Nice of hummels at the end doing selfies with the people who asked him btw

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2019, 12:41:16 am »
Bloody hell wats going on in here? We just played Bayern Munich at home and would have hammered them if we took our chances, of which we had numerous. Final ball was off and the finishing was poor but we just went toe to toe with a very good side and were unlucky not to win 3-0

Avoid a loss there and we are through.. currywurst and chill.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2019, 12:42:26 am »
Wasteful in front of goal. Salah and Mane should have scored early on which may have opened up the game a bit more and space to attack. We were very profligate in our passing and seemed to have lost the ability for quick one touch passing

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2019, 12:43:51 am »
0-0. Tight game with few chances. Thought we looked like the team most likely to score. If we couldn't win, 0-0 was the best possible score. I reckon we'll go through.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2019, 12:46:19 am »
There was no attacking threat that's the thing. We had our 4th choice CB and a CM in defence, we couldn't go gung ho and leave the back exposed but they offered next to nothing, just kind of passed it about loads, didn't really create with it, lost it, then put everyone behind the ball

That´s a description of the game which fits the last fifteen minutes, after we had finally gained some control of it but at the same time the game seemed to fizzle out. Certainly not the first half when both teams looked like scoring and anything looked like it could happen.

I think Bayern tried to do to us what Real did in the final last year, slowly strangling us to death by out-passing us. They made a good go of it too, which very few teams have enough skill to do, and put is in real danger of succumbing to it yet again. We didn´t beat them, but didn´t concede either, which wasn´t a given. They just looked to me like a really good team.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:00:56 am by Bjornar »

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #505 on: February 20, 2019, 12:49:36 am »
Not the worst result, don't really understand what happened in the second half. Went into the break looking like a goal was imminent, Bayern didn't change anything that I could tell, but we just couldn't get anything going. Tie is in the balance, but we obviously need a big improvement in our CL away performances.

Thought Henderson was great throughout, and Keita had a very good first half.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: February 20, 2019, 12:53:24 am »
It was a terrific game. We were creative, so were they. We were defensively solid, so were they. We took risks, so did they. We'll win the second leg, they won't.

Other news: Bobby Firmino is one of the best Liverpool players I've ever seen. And currently would fit quite naturally into any World XI you cared to pick. It's such a privilege to watch him play football.

Yeah !!

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: February 20, 2019, 12:55:09 am »
FAb and Hendo was BOSS!  The rest not so.

Matip after his own goal attempt played very well. He seemed more aggressive to the ball. Has Lewo in his pocket.

FAB is one of the most versatile players since Stevie?  Whatta buy! 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: February 20, 2019, 12:59:05 am »
Having watched the game again, I am a bit puzzled by some of the comments on here. Were we were at our Roma at Anfield best? No we weren't but we were also playing a much better side quality wise. The final touch the final pass wasn't no where our best HOWEVER. in that first half we had 3 chances to score. The clearest one with Mane's shot wide right after being five or six yards in front of goal. So while we didn't test Neur directly that was a glorious chance that we should have buried.

Then there is the chance by Matip, if the ball falls to any one else frm our front three then who knows what happens, so again we didn't test Neur but wee weren't far away from scoring either. Salah's header near the the near post was also a decent chance I thought we could have done better.

The build up to the last attack of the first half when Firmino chipped the ball in Mane's direction. We are talking about several near moments and I think we on a better day, with a little bit more luck and crispier passing in the final third, win the match by two clear goals. So while their defending was good in part's. they didn't exactly put in a catanaccio display here.

Their best chance came from a ball deflected off Matip to Becker's chest. The second half we didn't keep the same intensity and pressure but this was far from a ''meh'' performance or average display. We can play better no doubt, but we weren't without chacnes tonight and Bayern aren't mugs either.

I did not expect a clean-sheet, so I am delighted that we played well defensively for pretty much all of the game considering Van Dijk wasn't there and Fabinho playing.

Henderson was great, as was Fabinho Wijnaldum, and Keita did well in the first half.

IF we play close to what we did tonight in Munich, we can get a result.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: February 20, 2019, 01:01:26 am »
Think opting for Origi in the hope the ball drops on his head 2 feet out over Shaqiri who might provide th lockpick was a mistake, but otherwise a clean sheet on a day when we were misfiring is not a bad result.
Bayern have to win - unless their plan is to play for 0-0 and hope for the lottery of penalties, which by default should leave more space foe our attacking players.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #510 on: February 20, 2019, 01:02:36 am »
Nice of hummels at the end doing selfies with the people who asked him btw

he played a good match tonight too, he is better when they defend like that though, we'll see how it is when they have to attack at home!

Hummels is an interesting character, ridiculously bright for a footballer  ;D  And has better English than many English people.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: February 20, 2019, 01:09:20 am »
No you’re right, it was no where near Simeone esque as Simeone teams defend from midfield, win the ball back and break. Bayern struggled to do that today and only really posed an attacking threat when they could whip the ball into the box.

I’m just saying that they defended brilliantly. Personally I struggle to see how they build. That in the second leg and you’re definitely right when you say our final ball was off as it definitely was.

I wouldn't call it brilliant.  They played as well defensively as we were poor on the offensive side of the ball, so in that way we made them look a lot better than they were. 

Again, the effects of warm weather training seemed to take the edge off our play and we seemed to lack sharpness with our final balls and some of the passing - TAA couldn't find one.

Overall a 0-0 result at home in the 1st leg is never a bad result in a 2 leg tie.  Many managers in the past would even play for it fearing the away goal, so we are well situated.  The only concern is we have been horrible in away games in Europe for 12 months now, excepting the Porto game.  I do however feel Bayern are there for the taking and we'll get through.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #512 on: February 20, 2019, 01:09:24 am »
Outside of some sloppy play by our players in the first half, BM pretty much created nothing all game.   On top of that we were missing VVD while Robertson/TAA had poor passing games by their standard.  For the away game, VVD will be back and there's no way our full backs pass the ball as poorly as they did today.  They've also lost Kimmich who is a huge creator for their team.  With no away goal scored today, I like our chances over there.

At the end of the day, after our recent break this was a nice warm up for United this weekend.   Beat them this weekend and we'll get a nice shot of confidence going into this next stretch of games. 
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: February 20, 2019, 01:10:21 am »
Think opting for Origi in the hope the ball drops on his head 2 feet out over Shaqiri who might provide th lockpick was a mistake, but otherwise a clean sheet on a day when we were misfiring is not a bad result.
Bayern have to win - unless their plan is to play for 0-0 and hope for the lottery of penalties, which by default should leave more space foe our attacking players.

Its something I really hope we rectify in the summer. Im sick of us having players on the bench in name only and never guys who make an impact.

I know Shaqiri was there tonight but even his impact has mainlt been as a starter.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2019, 01:18:39 am »
I wouldn't call it brilliant.  They played as well defensively as we were poor on the offensive side of the ball, so in that way we made them look a lot better than they were. 

Again, the effects of warm weather training seemed to take the edge off our play and we seemed to lack sharpness with our final balls and some of the passing - TAA couldn't find one.

Missing the point IMO: they made us work three times harder than usual to even earn the right to form attacking moves. The possession stats surely must show this.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:22:35 am by Bjornar »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2019, 01:25:17 am »
Missing the point IMO: they made us work three times harder than usual to even earn the right to form attacking moves. The possession stats surely must show this.

Not really,they had 2% more of the ball but defended deep and had zero threat,they will have to come at us in Germany and when they do we will smash them.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: February 20, 2019, 01:32:01 am »
he played a good match tonight too, he is better when they defend like that though, we'll see how it is when they have to attack at home!

Hummels is an interesting character, ridiculously bright for a footballer  ;D  And has better English than many English people.
was well protected but likely won’t have that in Munich touch wood. And he has a nice memory of anfield now

Not really,they had 2% more of the ball but defended deep and had zero threat,they will have to come at us in Germany and when they do we will smash them.
big virg and possibly degsy being back will mean we can take off the handbrake a bit more that we couldn’t do so tonight

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2019, 01:34:02 am »

So 48-52 possession stats at Anfield, when does that ever happen unless we´re playing Bayern or Man City?

Games against top class teams follow different rules, but the reactions on here rarely reflect that, is my suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:43:39 am by Bjornar »

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2019, 01:35:22 am »
They did exactly what teams now try to do against us. They mark our front three very tightly and try to throttle our attacks. There were good on the ball and closed us down quickly. Our midfield isn’t too threatening so all the focus is on the front three.

I think we’ll see United try exactly the same tactics. They’ll mark our front three with 5 or 6 players and will be quickly into the tackle in midfield. They’ll try to break quickly.

It’s about the most effective way to play against us.
#JFT97

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: February 20, 2019, 01:46:58 am »
Bit flat all round, going there suits us though as they've got to attack, up the Reds.