Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1405198 times)

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7880 on: March 10, 2019, 02:29:26 pm »
That was a good win against a physical opponent,just the type we sometimes struggle against.

Need to improve our away form now,3 points from the last 3 with Everton and United in there would normally be ok but against these financially doped sky blue plastics might not be enough.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7881 on: March 10, 2019, 02:33:46 pm »
Hopefully City get either Atletico/Juventus or Barca, hell even United would be a tough one considering the nature of the game

Hopefully they get dry humped by Schalke and don’t get anyone
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7882 on: March 10, 2019, 02:33:49 pm »
That was a good win against a physical opponent,just the type we sometimes struggle against.

Need to improve our away form now,3 points from the last 3 with Everton and United in there would normally be ok but against these financially doped sky blue plastics might not be enough.

We have the 2nd best away record in the league. Getting draws against Everton and United isn't a sign of bad form, it's the norm against those sides given the types of matches they are.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7883 on: March 10, 2019, 02:34:25 pm »
Hopefully they get dry humped by Schalke and don’t get anyone

Nah, I want them with more fixtures and with tougher fixtures. Does us no good for them to go out now

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7884 on: March 10, 2019, 02:36:26 pm »
Think the CL plays a massive part.
Yeah. In all kinds of ways, even as a distraction for Spurs when we play them.

If either us or City get dumped out, it's bound to have an impact, whether positive or negative. I think City would take it worse, if they took a beating in the quarters.

Imagine they got Utd in the quarters. Those 3 games would be massively hyped and they might take their eye off the ball in a different game.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7885 on: March 10, 2019, 02:39:42 pm »
Nah, I want them with more fixtures and with tougher fixtures. Does us no good for them to go out now

Yeah....I mean at some point we’re gonna get to the CL semis, the FA Cup semis and be saying ‘hope they win so they’re distracted’

I don’t want them twats to win a thing.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7886 on: March 10, 2019, 02:41:02 pm »
Spurs is a massive Banana skin. First game after an international break.

Offline devilfysh

• Main Stander
Chasing the Title
« Reply #7887 on: March 10, 2019, 02:44:00 pm »
Yeah. In all kinds of ways, even as a distraction for Spurs when we play them.

If either us or City get dumped out, it's bound to have an impact, whether positive or negative. I think City would take it worse, if they took a beating in the quarters.

Imagine they got Utd in the quarters. Those 3 games would be massively hyped and they might take their eye off the ball in a different game.
No chance they are getting utd. Look at the state of the draws in the cups theyve had so far. They will get porto or ajax. If we get through we are getting utd 100%

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7888 on: March 10, 2019, 02:50:44 pm »

They all are at this point

I honestly wouldn’t even bother looking at what games could and couldn’t be tough for both teams. That today could have been a huge one, looked like it would be. Fulham could be.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #7889 on: March 10, 2019, 02:51:13 pm »
That's true but if we come out of that game with a win then I'll have a lot of confidence that we can can win the league with only Chelsea at home out of the top 6 and games against relegation teams to come (Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton etc.). Spurs aren't in the best of form either and are in danger of slipping out of the top 4 after losing yesterday to a really poor Southampton side. We're the better team and should win.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7890 on: March 10, 2019, 02:52:04 pm »

We are a much better side, though we probably start 1 down via a dodgy penalty for Kane so you are right.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7891 on: March 10, 2019, 02:57:05 pm »
Regarding the Manchester derby:

Imagine a situation in which Everton had gotten to the top through ill-gotten gains and violating all sorts of rules, knocking us off the top spot of domestic football. Then, while being in a furious fight for the final Champions League spot(s) with just four games to go, Everton came to Anfield one point in front of United, with them gloating all the time about us being finished and whatever. Would you then seriously think that our manager and players would go out in a Merseyside derby to send Everton to the league title, ourselves to an exciting Thursday night EL group consisting of Lille, Kharkiv and Qarabag and paving the way for our city rivals to have a title parade in Stanley Park?

Really?

They may lose, but for them to just not give a fuck about losing a derby and ending their own season in disgrace, that's just not on...
Linudden.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #7892 on: March 10, 2019, 03:02:24 pm »
I see us beating Fulham, then Man City beating Fulham to restore their lead at the top, after that we start to take a grip on the title. Beating Spurs and Chelsea at Anfield will confirm the title even before the last fixture. But if we drop points in either of these two games, it'd go all the way to the wire. Points like these may sound crazy, but I'm just making them to highlight what a great position we're in, contrary to those who think Man City are going to win every game and waltz to the title.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7893 on: March 10, 2019, 03:02:55 pm »
I was just reading a Spurs forum to see their take their board/Levy etc and the view is that if they are to miss out on a place in the top four, a decent consolation would be denting our title chances when they come to Anfield. Watford supporters wanted to get something from Anfield but then absolutely roll over for City. You'd expect it from the usual suspects like United and Everton and a few others but it's looking more and more as if absolutely no one wants us to win this league. It just astounds me.
to be fair, a lot of Liverpool fans spent the whole world cup hoping for England to lose. Think that is genuinely part of the reason nobody wants us to win it. It definitely wasn't like this in 2014.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #7894 on: March 10, 2019, 03:09:25 pm »
Utd will roll over when they play City because they won't want to be the team to hand us the title

For what it's worth if City and United draw each other in the FA Cup Semi Finals and City dump them out of it, then they'd have the league cup in the bag, the fa cup final against relative shite to come, be massively up there with the league and probably still be in the Champions League. United could need the points for top four and at this rate could need the points to stave off a Quadruple.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #7895 on: March 10, 2019, 03:10:19 pm »
to be fair, a lot of Liverpool fans spent the whole world cup hoping for England to lose. Think that is genuinely part of the reason nobody wants us to win it. It definitely wasn't like this in 2014.

Why not just go back a month from the World Cup to remember one of the reasons why everyone hates England? The entire country celebrating our downfall in the Champions League.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7896 on: March 10, 2019, 03:11:42 pm »
Not sure if anyone has touched on this but should both us and Chelsea get through to the quarter finals of our respective cup competition, there is a big possibility that our game on Sunday 14th April is rearranged. The second leg of the CL is April 16th/17th. That means if we play the 1st leg on Wednesday 10th April then the 2nd would have to be on the Tuesday 16th April. You would think moving the Chelsea game to the Saturday would make sense but that's not possible as Chelsea will have played the 1st leg of their EL on Thursday 11th April.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #7897 on: March 10, 2019, 03:12:49 pm »
Hopefully City get either Atletico/Juventus or Barca, hell even United would be a tough one considering the nature of the game

This is what I am rooting for (Manchester Derby) to stoke the old embers and make the two journeys to OT --- all out war.

Could give two fecks who we get, if we beat Bayern, just want City and United to play --- ultimately for United to win in a war of attrition and injuries to get knocked out by someone else in the Semis.

Ajax, Porto, United, and Spurs do not inject the same kind of fear as Real, PSG, Roma, or Dortmund.  Could be our year, if we get by the German bastards.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7898 on: March 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm »
Not sure if anyone has touched on this but should both us and Chelsea get through to the quarter finals of our respective cup competition, there is a big possibility that our game on Sunday 14th April is rearranged. The second leg of the CL is April 16th/17th. That means if we play the 1st leg on Wednesday 10th April then the 2nd would have to be on the Tuesday 16th April. You would think moving the Chelsea game to the Saturday would make sense but that's not possible as Chelsea will have played the 1st leg of their EL on Thursday 11th April.

What are the options then?  Reschedule at the end of the season? Or what happens next?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7899 on: March 10, 2019, 03:15:40 pm »

Surely it just gets played ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7900 on: March 10, 2019, 03:16:10 pm »
Why not just go back a month from the World Cup to remember one of the reasons why everyone hates England? The entire country celebrating our downfall in the Champions League.
Think people would've taken the piss out of any English team if they'd lost the final to be honest. But I get your point and I get why people didn't want England to win. It's always been there but it seemed under the microscope a lot more on social media during the world cup, and people obviously didn't take too well to it.

It's just one reason of many of course. The bottom line is that City winning doesn't mean much to people, nobody was brought up being jealous of man city's success. We are hated by more people than they are but we are also loved far more as well. We're a big club and people tend to either love or hate big clubs. Everyone would back city in a race between them and United too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7901 on: March 10, 2019, 03:17:03 pm »
Yeah....I mean at some point we’re gonna get to the CL semis, the FA Cup semis and be saying ‘hope they win so they’re distracted’

I don’t want them twats to win a thing.

Errr no we aren't you know that perfectly well, it's pretty ridiculous to even suggest that and it's quite bloody obvious why I or anyone else would want them to have the most difficult opponent in the quarter finals considering the fixture congestion they will have. They can go out in that stage, but I don't want them out now as it doesn't help at us at all.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #7902 on: March 10, 2019, 03:18:03 pm »
Think people would've taken the piss out of any English team if they'd lost the final to be honest. But I get your point and I get why people didn't want England to win. It's always been there but it seemed under the microscope a lot more on social media during the world cup, and people obviously didn't take too well to it.

It's just one reason of many of course. The bottom line is that City winning doesn't mean much to people, nobody was brought up being jealous of man city's success. We are hated by more people than they are but we are also loved far more as well. We're a big club and people tend to either love or hate big clubs. Everyone would back city in a race between them and United too.
Yeah I'm just saying people don't want City to win this because some Liverpool fans wanted England to fail, it already existed before then. In fact 2014 was mental as well, people still sing and go on about the slip now.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7903 on: March 10, 2019, 03:22:02 pm »
Yeah I'm just saying people don't want City to win this because some Liverpool fans wanted England to fail, it already existed before then. In fact 2014 was mental as well, people still sing and go on about the slip now.
I really didn't feel that about 2014 to be honest! Felt generally people seemed to want us to do it. We were certainly much bigger underdogs then, and with a British manager I think we appealed to people more. Maybe I was just better sheltered from the vitriol back then ;D

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7904 on: March 10, 2019, 03:23:28 pm »
What are the options then?  Reschedule at the end of the season? Or what happens next?

I was thinking the week commencing April 29th or May 6th but that is when the CL and EL semi finals 1st and 2nd leg are scheduled and one if not both teams could potentially be participating in it. It could potentially be played on the 7th or 8th May h which means the game would be sandwiched in between Newcastle away and our final game of the season at home to Wolves

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7905 on: March 10, 2019, 03:25:26 pm »
I was thinking the week commencing April 29th or May 6th but that is when the CL and EL semi finals 1st and 2nd leg are scheduled and one if not both teams could potentially be participating in it. It could potentially be played on the 7th or 8th May h which means the game would be sandwiched in between Newcastle away and our final game of the season at home to Wolves

Not worth thinking about at mo
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7906 on: March 10, 2019, 03:32:44 pm »

Wow, talk about crazy three game possible trifecta to win it all? 

(a) Newcastle under Rafa who are in form
(h) Chelsea
(h) Wolves

Get 9 points there in an ECL run, and you deserve to be Champs --- Christ on a Bike
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7907 on: March 10, 2019, 03:45:51 pm »
Wow, talk about crazy three game possible trifecta to win it all? 

(a) Newcastle under Rafa who are in form
(h) Chelsea
(h) Wolves

Get 9 points there in an ECL run, and you deserve to be Champs --- Christ on a Bike

With the contract sealed by then, hopefully he accidentally goes for a high line  :wave
Linudden.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #7908 on: March 10, 2019, 04:14:14 pm »
Precisely.

Fuck the lot of them.

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #7909 on: March 10, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »
Small steps and all that - but the weekend's results have ensured both we and City are guaranteed Top 6 finishes this season (until City's point deduction for being cheats that is) and thus that we will definitely be playing European Football next season (EL Qualifier at least).

(Some might also point out the scenario of United/Chelsea winning the CL/EL and finishing outside the top 6 thus stealing the places but they can't do that without finishing below us and thus handing us  at least 4th place)

Next target (while Chelsea are still in the EL, United are still in the CL  and assuming United beat Arsenal ;D) - 13 12 points out of 24 to guarantee a top 3 finish (13 for top 2)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:49:59 pm by Anthony »
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7910 on: March 10, 2019, 04:49:07 pm »
What an implosion by Spurs - they were always clinging on most of the season though.

Us and City have only ever been the genuine contenders. Now there's 8 games to go.

Think we're going to need the luck back in our favour that's for sure. If we keep getting more weekends like this where City get awarded an offside goal and the officials just ignored a blatant foul on our keeper then we will be really up against it. I fancy us on a level playing field but City seem to be the Real Madrid of the Premier League, constantly getting dodgy decisions.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #7911 on: March 10, 2019, 05:17:51 pm »
It's a bit of a shame for us that Man Utd got through in the champions league, as I'd banked on them being much fresher than City going into that game (mentioned this before with regards to Spurs going through, but that was much less unexpected).

The CL QF will be over by the time United play City. However, in the run up to that derby United have some really tricky fixtures. I can’t see them winning all of those so it’s possible they need to really turn up in the derby depending on the results of Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

If Arsenal beat them today that will help all of this.
YWNA

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #7912 on: March 10, 2019, 05:21:23 pm »
There's no way that United will 'throw' the Manc derby the way people are suggesting on here.
If they were even suspected of playing that way AND they lost, they would look like muppets for a very long time.
Hate them if you wish, but you have to admit that United are too big of a club to do smalltime shit like throw matches, especially against their noisy neighbours.

Think that match will be a draw in any case.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #7913 on: March 10, 2019, 05:25:09 pm »
There's no way that United will 'throw' the Manc derby the way people are suggesting on here.

Yep, thank god the players aren't like their fans. They'd throw it even if that game was their last chance of getting top four.

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7914 on: March 10, 2019, 05:34:37 pm »
City winning the quadruple?  Food for thought for any Utd fans who would want their team to roll over against City.  Much as they would hate us to clinch no 19 it would be short term pain.  City winning everything would be.....

No way Utd will throw the towel in.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7915 on: March 10, 2019, 05:54:49 pm »
The longest Premiere League winning runs within a single season are;

18 - City
2017-2018

13 - Arsenal
2001-2002

13 - Chelsea
2016-2017

11 - Manu
1999-2000

11 - Manu
2008-2009

11 - Liverpool
2013-2014

City is currently on a winning streak of 6. They have 8 games left. Winning all 8 would give them a winning streak of 14, the second-best in Premier League history.
Just to illustrate just how difficult it is to go on winning streaks of that length.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #7916 on: March 10, 2019, 06:03:18 pm »
City winning the quadruple?  Food for thought for any Utd fans who would want their team to roll over against City.  Much as they would hate us to clinch no 19 it would be short term pain.  City winning everything would be.....

No way Utd will throw the towel in.

They should still be fighting for 4th and will be desperate for the points as well.
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7917 on: March 10, 2019, 06:04:03 pm »
The longest Premiere League winning runs within a single season are;

18 - City
2017-2018

13 - Arsenal
2001-2002

13 - Chelsea
2016-2017

11 - Manu
1999-2000

11 - Manu
2008-2009

11 - Liverpool
2013-2014

City is currently on a winning streak of 6. They have 8 games left. Winning all 8 would give them a winning streak of 14, the second-best in Premier League history.
Just to illustrate just how difficult it is to go on winning streaks of that length.

Aye, but this is the same squad a strengthened squad that has done 18 only last season.  I wouldn't rule it out.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #7918 on: March 10, 2019, 06:09:02 pm »
When Liverpool win the title and Klopp answers his critics:

Everybody stop talking now. Attention. I told you, all of my critics, I told you all that Liverpool was the greatest of all time. I told you today, Liverpool's still the greatest of all time. Never again defeat us. Never again say that we're going to be defeated. Never again make us the underdog.

But we didn’t dance. We didn’t dance for a reason. We wanted to make City lose all his power. We kept telling him he had no legs, he couldn’t kick, he’s playing like a sissy, he’s missing, lemme see ya shoot. We hadn’t start dancing yet.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #7919 on: March 10, 2019, 06:11:07 pm »
When Liverpool win the title and Klopp answers his critics:

Everybody stop talking now. Attention. I told you, all of my critics, I told you all that Liverpool was the greatest of all time. I told you today, I’m still the greatest of all time. Never again defeat me. Never again say that I’m going to be defeated. Never again make me the underdog.

But I didn’t dance. I didn’t dance for a reason. I wanted to make City lose all his power. I kept telling him he had no legs, he couldn’t kick, he’s playing like a sissy, he’s missing, lemme see ya shoot. I hadn’t start dancing yet.

Haha...Great speech from my all time hero!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)