Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12263704 times)

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99720 on: June 6, 2019, 07:30:11 pm »
Mentioned hoever in my post. Would be surprised if he doesnt go as hes always training with the first team and seems to travel regularly. Lewis probably depends how many bodies they need.  Removing moreno, sturridge,copa and afcon playerd from the champions league final 23 would only give 6 places. Dont think we'd take much more than that to a friendly. Wilson, kent, ojo, jones, woodburn, hoever?

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99721 on: June 7, 2019, 03:27:01 am »
Jones seems to have been slightly overshadowed by the success of Glatzel&Duncan and the excitement around Brewster’s imminent return this season, but he’s perhaps my favourite prospect in our pool. Thought he was excellent last preseason in his first go round with the senior side and he has real game changing abilities from midfield or out wide. Really hope he shines again this summer and starts to force his way in to the team.

Also, I believe today is the day we may start hearing more about departures from the academy. Always interesting to see what kind of turnover takes place.

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #99722 on: June 7, 2019, 10:06:37 am »
Has Jones signed a new contract yet? I thought it was due to expire in 2020.  Presumably will be keen to sign up.  I think he could really do with a loan.  Rangers?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #99723 on: June 7, 2019, 10:35:51 am »
Has Jones signed a new contract yet? I thought it was due to expire in 2020.  Presumably will be keen to sign up.  I think he could really do with a loan.  Rangers?

If his contract is due to expire next summer then his willingness to sign a new deal will be key to what happens next. I'm sure there were rumours that Bundesliga clubs were interested in him - may have been from a Si Hughes article

I rate Jones though he had a difficult season in 2018/19. Hopefully he signs a new contract and then gets a good loan deal.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #99724 on: June 7, 2019, 11:08:43 am »
Apparently we've signed two unnamed kids from Sunderland. Sunderland's chairman Stewart Donald revealed it on the Roker Report podcast

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99725 on: June 7, 2019, 11:14:53 am »
Jones seems to have been slightly overshadowed by the success of Glatzel&Duncan and the excitement around Brewster’s imminent return this season, but he’s perhaps my favourite prospect in our pool. Thought he was excellent last preseason in his first go round with the senior side and he has real game changing abilities from midfield or out wide. Really hope he shines again this summer and starts to force his way in to the team.

Also, I believe today is the day we may start hearing more about departures from the academy. Always interesting to see what kind of turnover takes place.

To be honest he’s by far the most talented alongside Hoever, i think Glatzel and Duncan will struggle to make it here long term, neither have the stand out qualities like pace, dribbling, Brewster for example has, Jones Hoever and possibly Larouci are the prospects I would back the most.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99726 on: June 7, 2019, 11:32:32 am »
I agree Jones is a great prospect but from what I saw of the U23 games, he was hugely inconsistent, though getting much better towards the end of the season.  Only to be expected at his age but he’ll need to increase that consistency to get a good loan or he will spend it on the bench. 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #99727 on: June 7, 2019, 03:07:12 pm »
Liverpool FC's Premier League retained list was released on Friday, confirming the departures of several first team and Academy players after the 2018-19 season.

As announced earlier this week, Alberto Moreno and Daniel Sturridge are set to leave the Reds upon the expiry of their contracts this summer having helped the club clinch its sixth European Cup.

Academy graduate Connor Randall, who made eight senior appearances under Jürgen Klopp, and goalkeeper Adam Bogdan, who played six games for the first team, will depart ahead of 2019-20 too.

Academy players Juanma, Conor Masterson, Glen McAuley, Corey Whelan and Ben Williams are also set to leave the club.

Contract offers have been made to Bobby Adekanye, Daniel Atherton, George Johnston, Abdi Sharif and Edvard Tagseth.

Everybody at Liverpool FC thanks the departing players for their contributions and wishes them the best of luck for the future.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/353300-liverpool-confirm-premier-league-retained-list?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #99728 on: June 7, 2019, 03:09:48 pm »
Contract offers have been made to Bobby Adekanye, Daniel Atherton, George Johnston, Abdi Sharif and Edvard Tagseth.

Sign or bugger off?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99729 on: June 7, 2019, 03:11:09 pm »
Apparently we've signed two unnamed kids from Sunderland. Sunderland's chairman Stewart Donald revealed it on the Roker Report podcast
We signed one last summer as well. Think they're getting picked apart by a few clubs, always the problem for clubs lower down who put together good youth sides

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #99730 on: June 7, 2019, 03:11:48 pm »
Sign or bugger off?

Their contracts expire end of this month, but Liverpool want to keep them. So it's their call! Sign, or leave and go to another club.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #99731 on: June 7, 2019, 03:14:58 pm »
Sign or bugger off?

I find it interesting we've offered Adekanye one given it's publicly intimated that he wants out with various links to clubs in Italy/Spain

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99732 on: June 7, 2019, 03:16:28 pm »
I find it interesting we've offered Adekanye one given it's publicly intimated that he wants out with various links to clubs in Italy/Spain
Sometimes it's just to gurantee we get money from clubs they end up signing for

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #99733 on: June 7, 2019, 03:27:25 pm »
Means we’ll get compensation if he signs elsewhere

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #99734 on: June 7, 2019, 03:29:57 pm »

There were talks of Luca Stephenson earlier this season.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #99735 on: June 7, 2019, 03:35:06 pm »
Means we’ll get compensation if he signs elsewhere

Ah thought so

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99736 on: June 7, 2019, 05:23:29 pm »
I suppose we don't know whether the "contract 5" - Bobby Adekanye, Daniel Atherton, George Johnston, Abdi Sharif and Edvard Tagseth - are all looking to leave or whether some of them may have been offered contracts late with this deadline approaching...

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99737 on: June 7, 2019, 07:48:35 pm »
I suppose we don't know whether the "contract 5" - Bobby Adekanye, Daniel Atherton, George Johnston, Abdi Sharif and Edvard Tagseth - are all looking to leave or whether some of them may have been offered contracts late with this deadline approaching...

I’ve read before that decisions are made tend to be made by March.   I think we first heard Bobby was refusing to sign before that.  So I imagine they were all offered a while back but either have no intention of signing or are keeping their options open.  Coming through our academy has become harder for sure and the waste of promising early talent, eg Masterson, is going to impact on others’ decisions.  When you look at some of those we released (not contract offered) from our academy a few years ago, some have made it to regular first team football elsewhere in the lower leagues by still developing at academy age elsewhere.  Leave it too late with little football in the wretched U21s system and the chances of success seem to fall, perhaps because they become to used to playing technical football the ‘right way’.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99738 on: June 7, 2019, 08:10:50 pm »
I see that Diego Lattie, briefly LFC and capped for England at U16, having been released by Man City, has been released by Wolves.  And Marley Blair, also briefly of LFC, has been released by Burnley.   It’s a tough game for kids with dreams

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99739 on: June 7, 2019, 10:18:32 pm »
I’ve read before that decisions are made tend to be made by March.   I think we first heard Bobby was refusing to sign before that.  So I imagine they were all offered a while back but either have no intention of signing or are keeping their options open.  Coming through our academy has become harder for sure and the waste of promising early talent, eg Masterson, is going to impact on others’ decisions.  When you look at some of those we released (not contract offered) from our academy a few years ago, some have made it to regular first team football elsewhere in the lower leagues by still developing at academy age elsewhere.  Leave it too late with little football in the wretched U21s system and the chances of success seem to fall, perhaps because they become to used to playing technical football the ‘right way’.
When did Masterson ever look a promising talent?

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99740 on: June 7, 2019, 10:19:10 pm »
Tagseth said in the media in his home country in April he was leaving.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99741 on: June 7, 2019, 10:30:39 pm »
Bit surprised Tagseth is off. I wonder if Gerrard might offer him a contract up at Rangers.

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99742 on: June 7, 2019, 11:01:04 pm »
Tagseth said in the media in his home country in April he was leaving.

Yes we know a bit about Tagseth, the position with Johnston, Sharif and Atherton is less clear

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #99743 on: June 8, 2019, 01:54:35 am »
Looks like we can’t get enough of this silverware stuff now we’ve won one.

Paul Joyce tweeted that us and United are entering the Checkatrade Trophy next season. From a quick google it seems we were the only “top six” sides holding out. Sounds as though it’ll be an U21 side we field.

Presuming as it’s June the 8th this isn’t an April fool.

Wasn’t sure where to post this if I’m honest, but didn’t think it deserved it’s own thread. This seemed the most appropriate place as it’s likely to be players from the u23 and u18s who most likely play in it.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99744 on: June 8, 2019, 07:43:00 am »

Paul Joyce tweeted that us and United are entering the Checkatrade Trophy next season. From a quick google it seems we were the only “top six” sides holding out. Sounds as though it’ll be an U21 side we field.

Wasn’t sure where to post this if I’m honest, but didn’t think it deserved it’s own thread. This seemed the most appropriate place as it’s likely to be players from the u23 and u18s who most likely play in it.

Pleased with that

Games against proper teams can only help their development

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99745 on: June 8, 2019, 10:03:03 am »
It's something that's been happening since the 16-17 season, 16 under 21 teams from Premier and Championship, Don't like it myself, taking the chances away from a lower league team of winning a trophy

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99746 on: June 8, 2019, 11:28:46 am »

Prem clubs can only play u23 players anyway.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99747 on: June 8, 2019, 12:21:48 pm »
Once Klopp comes back from his well earned break, plans will inevitably turn to the pre-season. I am wondering who has a good chance of making the pre-season tour. The African players may still be away or at least on their hols, which youngsters will make the cut this season. There has been some good performances at both under 18's and the under 23's who does everyone want to see on the tour?

Jones
Larouchi
Ki Joever
Glatzel

Very keen for Glatzel and aik Joever to go in particular

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #99748 on: June 9, 2019, 12:18:04 am »
Looks like we've definitely signed Jakub Ojrzynski based off his Instagram. Polish media seem to suggest price is at least £200,000

https://www.instagram.com/p/BydROxUixmp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: June 9, 2019, 09:34:02 am by reddebs »

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99750 on: June 9, 2019, 10:14:09 pm »
Neil Jones, ex of the Echo, suggests Awoniyi and Arroyo will train with the first team during pre-season

https://www.goal.com/en/news/liverpool-receive-three-bundesliga-approaches-for-25m-rated/gzbddl4xgm7l138fglxnc4m0m

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #99751 on: June 10, 2019, 10:32:38 pm »
I see Steve Cooper’s getting the Swansea job, possible other connection for loans.
AHA!

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99753 on: June 11, 2019, 08:46:54 am »
Ojo going to Rangers on loan.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/sheyi-ojo-agrees-rangers-loan-16497217
I give it under 5 games before their fans turn on him for 'lack of effort' due to his laid back approach

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99754 on: June 11, 2019, 11:51:17 am »
Should be a league where he can excel.  Really needs to kick on after a couple of less then stellar loans. 

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99755 on: June 11, 2019, 12:07:26 pm »
I give it under 5 games before their fans turn on him for 'lack of effort' due to his laid back approach

What type of player is he, best position etc?

Talk seems that we (Rangers) have a good chance of getting Kent for another year on loan as well. He became a bit of a cult hero at Rangers last season, & became an important player for us. Would be good to get him back, & for hopefully him to improve his goals & assists from last season now the team is more settled, as the talent is there.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99756 on: June 11, 2019, 12:53:57 pm »
Ojo is great at carrying the ball, good winger who has had some disappointing loan spells lately.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99757 on: June 11, 2019, 08:17:23 pm »
I’ve always thought he’s a bit like Ibe.  Great physicality and really fast.   Can score really powerful strikes (with left peg) but also like Ibe, flatters to deceive on end product.  Maybe makes wrong decisions but doesn’t score as much as he should

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99758 on: June 12, 2019, 01:25:06 am »
I’ve always thought he’s a bit like Ibe.  Great physicality and really fast.   Can score really powerful strikes (with left peg) but also like Ibe, flatters to deceive on end product.  Maybe makes wrong decisions but doesn’t score as much as he should

Think this is right.  Also think Ibe would flourish in the spl, excited to see what Ojo does
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99759 on: June 12, 2019, 01:45:11 pm »
In terms of natural ability and attributes for me Ojo is a top 10 PL player and superior than the likes of Kent and Wilson. He’s a good athlete with pace, strength, height and athleticism. Good technique, sweet left footed, can spot a pass, has skill and is a good finisher.

I just don’t think he really believes in himself nearly as much as he should. If someone could light a fire in his belly and get him playing with his chest puffed out rather than with his chin in his chest he’d be a really good player. In all honesty, I don’t think he’d fancy playing on the shitty pitches in Scotland and getting lumps kicked out of him, but ability wise he's better than Kent..

As someone said above, I can see the fans turning on him if he isn't scoring/creating goals as he has a very laid back style on the pitch which could be mistaken for lazy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:47:41 pm by Too early for flapjacks? »