Author Topic: I was a day tripper recently!!!  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
I was a day tripper recently!!!
« on: February 19, 2002, 12:13:12 am »
i originally put this one the official site, but people are just not getting it.

i havent written this in the hope of starting some stupid scousers versus oot debate. basically, before you start going on at me, im gonna explain my stand point n that bit b4 my tale.
I respect liverpools oot's, i mean anyone whos willing to travel that little bit further than us liverpool based folk, deserves credit. basically, and i think its been said b4, its not the oot's that everyone gets wound up with, its the day trippers.

the difference is obvious, yet seemingly confusing.

Day Trippers = people who only come to 1 or 2 games a season (those that only do this due to money restrictions or problems need not start winging at me, i appreciate that) the games they generally come too are "big" games, that they get the tickets from a mate of a mate. they then proceed to come to the match, buy a load of souveniers from the shop, take photos of everything, and then boo, and shout abuse at players. i obviously understand that just cos you take pictures, or buy stuff, that doesnt automatically mean your a DT, but if you do all of the above, then i think you are.

OOT's = people who supprt lfc, and travel as often as money, and limitations allow ( i know you may say how do you differentiate between them, if they all say they do that) well the OOT's go that extra mile to arrange tickets and travel, rather than leaving it to someone else. they take it upon themselves to learn the traditions of the club, and intergrate themselves as a "reds fan".
alot of OOT's are former scoucers moved elsewhere, others are people who's love afair started when they saw us on the the tele when we were broadcast worldwide as the best team in the land, others may have more in depth reasons, but one thing underlies everything. they love the club. and the way to spot the difference is really simple. people who are simply OOT's who read this will understand what im saying, they may not neccessarily agree 100%, but they may be able to add their own little bit of individualism to my points, to make it apply to them. Day trippers will know it applies to them, and get annoyed, and want to argue.

no doubt there is something i have over looked, that will be picked up on, but ultimately, i wasnt writing this to offend anyone, or create a mass argument. if im wrong, and someone makes a valid point, ill hold me hand up, and apologise.

anyway, as the topic title says "i was a day tripper recently"...not here with my beloved liverpool, cos im lucky enough to be able to go pretty much every week. but it was at the bernabeau, which as most of you will know is the home of real madrid.

i, like quite alot of people have always dreamed of going to madrid to see the great team, in the all white. i was lucky to get my opportunity last month when my girlfriends sister, who lives in madrid, got me a ticket, from a mate of a mate, (see my points above). the game...Real Madrid versus Valencia. we got there 30 mins b4 kick off, and took up our seats, the stadium was awsome, in fact i could feel the emotion building up inside, just from being there. the hairs on my neck stood up, and my throat was tight for a good 10 mins. i was in awe of it all. there i was, sat 10 rows from the touchline, in the bernabeau, to watch one of la ligas biggest games, looking at zidane, carlos, figo, raul, and hierro warming up. i couldnt believe it. i took more pictures, (see above again), and put my bag full of souveniers (again) on the floor infront of me.

and there i sat, looking on with a big smile on my face for the full 90 mins. the game finished 1-0 to madrid, morientes, sencond half goal. and i saw macca come on, even if it was just for 2 minutes.

i left the ground, and thought, i was doing then what lots of people have been taking the **** about on the liverpoolfc.tv webiste. and do ya know what, i wasnt bothered. for one night i was a real Real Madrid fan, i was fulfiling a dream, and it felt god. but the one thing i thought that justified it for me was that, i had gone that extra mile to get there, i had paid the £140 flight price, i had paid to stay in the hotel. i had made the effort to mingle in, and talk to a few fans b4 the game in the local bars. i had cheered through the game. i had taken the initiative upon myself to get there and fulfil my dream, i was not embarrassed for being a day tripper, cos i had done the best i could. and i had, and still have every intention of going back there again. and it didnt feel like i was robbing madrid fans cos i later found out that the ground holds 90,000+, and had about 5,000 empty seats.

and just to make it 100 times better, i did all that wearing my liverpool shirt. (the madrid fans loved it).

if that all sounds a bit contradictory, then either im crap at writing it, or your misunderstanding me. but thats my little tale.

Roper  :)

(p.s when i sat down in my seat, i said "ola" to the 2 fella's next to me, only for the reply to be "ya alright man"...two ******** geordies!!!! me head was chokka, the chances of that!!!)
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
Re: I was a day tripper recently!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 12:27:48 am »
I agree with just about everything you have said there.

Up until very recently I have been a day-tripper, with the excweption that when I went I did sing and chant as much as possible (I dont for example know the words to Scouser Tommy, and wouldn't recognise the tune) and always try to go with a Scouse mate.  I would never miss a game on TV, and never hide my allegiance (even in central manchester), and in earlier days could even relate to the ceefaz supporter story.

But from just reading sites like these, and the fact a knee injury has me out of weekend football, meaing more games, I have begun to understand.  Don't get me wrong, I was never ignorant, I could hold my own in any football conversation, bar the very true Kopites.  I have started going to a lot more games, and now live in Manchester so I can get to midweek games, I understand the ticket buying procedure, have put my name on the waiting list (13 years I hear) and will go to every game I can possibly afford and get tickets for (only on £7,500 pa though).

I don't know how long it will take to become accepted, and I understand the resentment caused, but I hope to someday be accepted as a true Kopite of the greatest team on earth.

YNWA

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 01:19:51 am »
Nice posts lads.

yer know, I reckon Lpool will go to Bernabeu soon.

That'd be be great eh.

Offline C.B Alonso

• Old skool RAWK Photographer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Aallriight!"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 06:05:05 am »
I think too much has been said of whos a daytripper and whats a OOT. The debate is boring and it seems like never going away.
But its nice to know that you had a good time at Madrid!
I hope that Steve is right and we do progress in the Europeon cup and face Real in the knockout stages. It will be great and we can take on the best on our day!
Real madrid are big favourites to win the CL and their domestic honours this year even more seeing as its their centenary year this season (so i heard).
Lets fucking create an atmosphere instead of complaining about it.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 02:08:32 pm »
tell ya what mate if we ever did go the bernabeau, we would take the f***in roof off there m8...they have a small section behind the goal, which is about the width of the 18 yard box, and about 50 rows back, and all they do is sing, its an allocated area, they all have banners, and flags, and they all know when to change banners etc in the course of the game, its mad to watch, but i reakon our euro banners, and travelling kop would out do them, we are the greatest in the world!!!

Roper

Offline LFC_4_EVA

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Red All Over The Land
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2002, 01:17:47 am »
I would love it if liverpool had to play someone in southern spain. Me Mum has decided to move to malaga (south coast), but i'm here in britain. So if liverpool have someone in south spain, the only problem i'd face in going would be getting a ticket for the away end. But if that fails, hopefully, i could get in the home end. Never been to a european game (i'm only 14), but i bet the atmosphere is amazing

Offline robert

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2002, 02:04:54 am »
i guess i am reguarded as a day tripper. i have supported liverpool since seeing them win  1964s fa cup final.i travelled to every home game in the late 1960s to the mid seventies including midweek games and had to leave midway through the second half to get the boat back to belfast. then i done the most stupdist thing in my life! yes i got married and could only manage a few games a season because of the money situation. i have been unemployed for quite a while now but have managed to get the money to travel to the newcastle game, its costing me £105 for my flight £27 for my ticket, £30 for hotel plus food and travel while in liverpool oh yeah £40 taxi to and from belfast to airport  i am not complaining as its worth every penny and if i could afford it would be at every liverpool game