Author Topic: Top Footballers By Eras  (Read 4717 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Top Footballers By Eras
« on: July 13, 2019, 09:21:11 pm »
Top Footballers By Eras

It all started when I began a personal project around 5 years ago to rank players by each position and during respective 5 year periods. I worked on this for around 6 months. For a start, I took 1990 as the start of the eras or periods considered, as that marks the time I have been familiar as a football fan. Players are ranked for each 5 year duration from 1990 to 2019. Once I complete this for all positions, I plan to extend the scope to 1980s, 70s, 60s and so on. You may ask how long can I keep going. It's a valid question. I don't know the answer to that, but I know that this is one of my passion projects that I want to keep going as long as I can and/or until this is done.

I researched players from around the world for each period and then made a shortlist of the players in consideration before opting them in or out and then ranking them. The term 'World Class' is extremely subjective, so I do not intend to name tag any of the players selected in such a manner. For positions including one player in a lineup (example Goalkeeper), I may have selected around 10-12 players whom I think have had an impact on the game in a given 5 year duration. For positions including two players in a lineup (example Central Defenders), I may have picked around 15-20 players in a 5 year duration. The ranking is based on a combination of factors in no order such as

a) Peak Ability - Considers the quality of a player in the position listed.

b) Consistency over the duration of 5 years - Considers the length of the period the player could maintain quality. Someone who has had a very high peak, maybe even the best player in that position at some point of time (say Alisson), but for a shorter period in that 5 year duration will not be above another player with a slightly lesser peak but spread out for all those 5 years. However, the player with a shorter peak has the chance to extent to the next set of 5 years, where if he maintains/has maintained that peak, he will be/would have been ranked higher in the subsequent set of 5 years.

c) Individual Recognition - Considers Awards, Team of the Tournaments, Individual Records, Recognition from famous magazines or organizations like IFFHS etc.

d) Contribution to Trophies Won - Considers Trophies won during the 5 year duration. As individual recognition is in some way related to the trophies won and popularity of a player, this is also one of the factors considered. Underdog runs to Semi-Finals or Finals in Club and/or International Competitions and Runner-Up League finishes are also given importance.

e) Strength and Quality of Opposition - Players doing well in a bigger league get more preference than players doing well in a weaker league in that duration.

Players were/will be selected on a combination of these factors, but I never rule out a player completely because they fail to meet one or two of the above criteria, but if they meet the other criteria splendidly well. However, a player doing well in all the above criteria will be in ahead in ranking than a player doing well in lesser number of criteria.

1990-1994

Goalkeepers

Peter Schmeichel              (Brøndby IF/Manchester United F.C., Denmark)
Walter Zenga                    (Inter Milan/U.C. Sampdoria, Italy)
Michel Preud'homme         (KV Mechelen/S.L. Benfica, Belgium)
Andoni Zubizarreta           (FC Barcelona/Valencia CF, Spain)
Thomas Ravelli                 (IFK Göteborg, Sweden)
Gianluca Pagliuca              (U.C. Sampdoria/Inter Milan, Italy)
Sergio Goycochea             (Millionarios/Racing Club de Avellaneda/Stade Brestois 29/Cerro
                                       Porteño/Club Olimpia/River Plate/Deportivo Mandiyú, Argentina)
Andreas Köpke                 (1. FC Nürnberg/Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany)     
Vítor Baía                         (FC Porto, Portugal)
Cláudio Taffarel                 (Internacional/Parma/Reggio Audace F.C./Atlético Mineiro, Brazil)
Bodo Illgner                      (1. FC Köln, Germany)

Central Defenders

Franco Baresi                     (A.C. Milan, Italy)
Jürgen Kohler                    (FC Bayern Munich/Juventus F.C., Germany)
Alessandro Costacurta        (A.C. Milan, Italy)
Ronald Koeman                  (FC Barcelona, Netherlands)
Aldair                                (S.L. Benfica/A.S. Roma, Brazil)
Gheorghe Popescu              (CS Universitatea Craiova/PSV Eindhoven/Tottenham Hotspur F.C.,
                                         Romania)
Oscar Ruggeri                    (Real Madrid CF/C.A. Vélez Sarsfield/A.C. Ancona/Club América/C.A. San
                                         Lorenzo, Argentina)
Pietro Vierchowod               (U.C. Sampdoria, Italy)
Rune Bratseth                    (SV Werder Bremen, Norway)
Laurent Blanc                     (Montpellier HSC/S.S.C. Napoli/Nîmes Olympique/AS Saint-Étienne,
                                         France)
Miodrag Belodedici              (Red Star Belgrade/Valencia CF/Real Valladolid, Romania)
Paul McGrath                      (Aston Villa F.C., Republic Of Ireland)
Guido Buchwald                  (VfB Stuttgart/Urawa Red Diamonds, Germany)
Tony Adams                       (Arsenal F.C., England)
Gary Pallister                      (Manchester United F.C., England)
Miguel Ángel Nadal             (RCD Mallorca/FC Barcelona, Spain)
Des Walker                         (Nottingham Forest F.C./U.C. Sampdoria/Sheffield Wednesday F.C.,
                                         England)
Ricardo Gomes                   (S.L. Benfica/Paris Saint-Germain F.C., Brazil)
Riccardo Ferri                     (Inter Milan/U.C. Sampdoria, Italy)

1995-1999

Goalkeepers

José Luis Chilavert             (Vélez Sarsfield, Paraguay)
Fabien Barthez                  (Olympique de Marseille/AS Monaco FC, France)
Angelo Peruzzi                   (Juventus F.C./Inter Milan, Italy)
Oliver Kahn                       (FC Bayern Munich, Germany)
Andreas Köpke                  (Eintracht Frankfurt/Olympique de Marseille/1. FC Nürnberg, Germany)
Peter Schmeichel               (Manchester United F.C./Sporting CP, Denmark)
David Seaman                   (Arsenal F.C., England)
Edwin van der Sar              (AFC Ajax/Juventus F.C., Holland)
Gianluca Pagliuca               (Inter Milan/Bologna F.C. 1909, Italy)

Central Defenders

Marcel Desailly                   (A.C. Milan/Chelsea F.C., France)
Ciro Ferrara                       (Juventus F.C., Italy)
Jaap Stam                         (SC Cambuur/Willem II/PSV Eindhoven/Manchester United F.C.,
                                        Netherlands)
Fernando Hierro                 (Real Madrid CF, Spain)
Matthias Sammer               (Borussia Dortmund, East Germany/Germany)
Paolo Montero                    (Atalanta B.C./Juventus F.C., Uruguay)
Jürgen Kohler                     (Juventus F.C./Borussia Dortmund, Germany)
Laurent Blanc                     (AS Saint-Étienne/AJ Auxerre/FC Barcelona/Olympique de Marseille/Inter
                                         Milan, France)
Carlos Gamarra                  (Cerro Porteño/S.C. Internacional/S.L. Benfica/S.C. Corinthians
                                         Paulista/Atlético Madrid, Paraguay)
Aldair                                 (A.S. Roma, Brazil)
Alessandro Costacurta         (A.C. Milan, Italy)
Tony Adams                        (Arsenal F.C., England)
Jens Nowotny                     (Karlsruher SC/Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Germany)
Gheorghe Popescu              (Tottenham Hotspur F.C./FC Barcelona/Galatasaray S.K., Romania)
Christian Wörns                  (Bayer 04 Leverkusen/Paris Saint-Germain F.C./Borussia Dortmund,
                                         Germany)
Fabio Cannavaro                 (S.S.C. Napoli/Parma Calcio 1913, Italy)
Alessandro Nesta                (S.S. Lazio, Italy)
Thomas Helmer                  (FC Bayern Munich/Sunderland A.F.C., Germany)
Miroslav Đukić                    (Deportivo La Coruña/Valencia CF, Croatia)
Sol Campbell                      (Tottenham Hotspur F.C., England)
Siniša Mihajlović                 (U.C. Sampdoria/S.S. Lazio, Yugoslavia)

2000-2004

Oliver Kahn                        (FC Bayern Munich, Germany)
Gianluigi Buffon                  (Parma Calcio 1913/Juventus F.C., Italy)
Francesco Toldo                  (ACF Fiorentina/Inter Milan, Italy)
Iker Casillas                       (Real Madrid CF, Spain)
Óscar Córdoba                   (Boca Juniors/A.C. Perugia Calcio/Beşiktaş J.K., Colombia)
Dida                                  (SC Corinthians Paulista/A.C. Milan, Brazil)
Rüştü Reçber                     (Fenerbahçe S.K./FC Barcelona, Turkey)
Santiago Cañizares             (Valencia CF, Spain)
Vítor Baía                           (FC Porto, Portugal)
Jerzy Dudek                       (Feyenoord/Liverpool F.C., Poland)
Roberto Abbondanzieri        (Boca Juniors, Argentina)
Jens Lehmann                    (Borussia Dortmund/Arsenal F.C., Germany)

2005-2009

Iker Casillas                      (Real Madrid CF, Spain)
Gianluigi Buffon                 (Juventus F.C., Italy)
Petr Čech                          (Chelsea F.C., Czech Republic)
Júlio César                        (A.C. ChievoVerona/Inter Milan, Brazil)
Edwin van der Sar             (Fulham F.C./Manchester United F.C., Holland)
Pepe Reina                        (Villareal CF/Liverpool F.C., Spain)
Igor Akinfeev                    (CSKA Moscow, Russia)
Jens Lehmann                   (Arsenal F.C./VfB Stuttgart, Germany)
Rogério Ceni                      (São Paulo, Brazil)

2010-2014

Manuel Neuer                    (FC Schalke 04/FC Bayern Munich, Germany)
Iker Casillas                      (Real Madrid CF, Spain)
Gianluigi Buffon                 (Juventus F.C., Italy)
Thibaut Courtois                (K.R.C. Genk/Atlético Madrid/Chelsea F.C., Belgium)
Petr Čech                          (Chelsea F.C., Czech Republic)
Victor Valdes                     (FC Barcelona, Spain)
Joe Hart                            (Birmingham City F.C./Manchester City F.C., England)
Samir Handanović              (Udinese Calcio/Inter Milan, Slovenia)
Vincent Enyeama               (Hapoel Tel Aviv F.C., Lille OSC, Maccabi Tel Aviv F.C./Nigeria)
David de Gea                     (Atlético Madrid/Manchester United F.C., Spain)
Hugo Lloris                        (Olympique Lyonnais/Tottenham Hotspur F.C., France)

2015-2019

Goalkeepers

Jan Oblak                          (Atlético Madrid, Slovenia)
Keylor Navas                     (Real Madrid CF, Costa Rica)
David de Gea                     (Manchester United F.C., Spain)
Manuel Neuer                    (FC Bayern Munich, Germany)
Marc-André ter Stegen       (FC Barcelona, Germany)
Gianluigi Buffon                 (Juventus F.C./Paris Saint-Germain F.C., Italy)
Thibaut Courtois                (Chelsea F.C./Real Madrid CF, Belgium)
Alisson Becker                   (Sport Club Internacional/A.S. Roma/Liverpool F.C., Brazil)
Hugo Lloris                        (Tottenham Hotspur F.C., France)
Samir Handanović              (Inter Milan, Slovenia)
Ederson                             (Rio Ave F.C./S.L. Benfica/Manchester City F.C., Brazil)

Central Defenders

Diego Godín                       (Atlético Madrid, Uruguay)
Sergio Ramos                     (Real Madrid CF, Spain)
Raphaël Varane                  (Real Madrid CF, France)
Gerard Piqué                      (FC Barcelona, Spain)
Virgil van Dijk                    (Southampton F.C./Liverpool F.C., Netherlands)
Kalidou Koulibaly                (S.S.C. Napoli, Senegal)
Leonardo Bonucci               (Juventus F.C./A.C. Milan, Italy)
Jan Vertonghen                  (Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Belgium)
Giorgio Chiellini                  (Juventus F.C., Italy)
César Azpilicueta                (Chelsea F.C./Spain)
Toby Alderweireld               (Southampton F.C./Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Belgium)
Thiago Silva                       (Paris Saint-Germain F.C., Brazil)
Mats Hummels                   (Borussia Dortmund/FC Bayern Munich, Germany)
Nicolás Otamendi               (Valencia CF/Manchester City F.C., Argentina)
José Giménez                     (Atlético Madrid, Uruguay)
Aymeric Laporte                 (Athletic Bilbao/Manchester City F.C., France)
Marquinhos                        (Paris Saint-Germain F.C., Brazil)

Please share your thoughts and opinions and I'll try to answer any questions as well. Any players whom I may not have thought of, are welcome for consideration as I have intended not to ignore lesser known players in weaker leagues. Don't hesitate to point to any mistakes/corrections required (player names, club names, clubs played for etc.) as well. Any help for formatting is also welcome. Pasting from my Document isn't looking ideal.

Also a thought for fellow Draft enthusiasts, I hope this is interesting.

EDITS:

1. Today, I pulled out my work again after 5 years and made my final touches to the Goalkeeper position. I want to present my work here, the Goalkeepers are ready. Rest of the positions will be edited in as and when my final touches for respective positions are over.

I understand that some players like Hart are not popular here and he fell of a cliff, but he did win 4 Premier League Golden Gloves and the Premier League twice at a period when he was good.

2. Central Defenders for the first era is in. Updated the 2nd era & the recent one (these were tough). Doing this position (even making final touches) is harder than what I did for Goalkeepers, so they'll be in era by era, unless I manage to get quicker. Suggestions and opinions are welcome for this position for inclusion or exclusion.

Meanwhile, I'm also continuing research for Goalkeepers taking in the suggestions, I'd like more inputs on Dudek, as his inclusion seems controversial, but he is regarded highly in Poland as well as in certain magazines, rankings.

« Last Edit: August 3, 2019, 03:06:28 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Top Footballers By Eras
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:53:26 pm »
Top stuff PIM, you got the drafters itch :D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 12:09:24 am »
Higuita for the 90s?

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:12:21 am »
Roman Weidenfeller deserves a mention.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 02:29:44 pm »
Top stuff PIM, you got the drafters itch :D

Ha ha. I had this in a virtual attic for a long time, I have to say I pulled it back after being inspired by the recent drafts and updated it for the last 5 year duration.

Thanks to Mikey, Hazell and you and all the draft participants, of course :)

I'm going to get to the Central Defenders now.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:45:31 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:40:48 pm »
Higuita for the 90s?

Good call, he was someone who was in the consideration for a long time, and it was a close call for me. On one hand he was eccentric and maybe even a pioneer in his way of Goalkeeping, on the other hand, his mistakes on the big stages made me question certain aspects of his game.

This is what I'm looking for, mate - more opinions and thoughts. Regarding Higuita, any idea about how consistent was he? By personal viewing experience or from sources?

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 02:43:57 pm »
Roman Weidenfeller deserves a mention.

Thanks mate, I'm going to have a look at him again. It's a pity he wasn't credited more by IFFHS especially, probably they're looking for more in terms of international contribution, but yes, he is a legit contender for sure at his peak. UEFA, IFFHS, and magazines who award individual accolades look into UCL and or/runs in World Cup/Euros. But him reaching the CL final should do no harm, in that front as well.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:50:50 pm by PoetryInMotion »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 03:41:42 pm »
Thanks mate, I'm going to have a look at him again. It's a pity he wasn't credited more by IFFHS especially, probably they're looking for more in terms of international contribution, but yes, he is a legit contender for sure at his peak. UEFA, IFFHS, and magazines who award individual accolades look into UCL and or/runs in World Cup/Euros. But him reaching the CL final should do no harm, in that front as well.

He's a massive bellend off the pitch unfortunately [see his incident with Asamoah]. The time he spent at Dortmund also coincided with all the silverware they've won in the 2000's

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 05:31:51 pm »
Honourable mention for Rinat Dasayev USSR.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 10:47:34 pm »
Honourable mention for Rinat Dasayev USSR.

Dasayev I think was past his peak in the 90s, he couldn't make it for a full 5 year span. Had I done the 80s, I would've got him in.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 10:52:51 pm »
He's a massive bellend off the pitch unfortunately [see his incident with Asamoah]. The time he spent at Dortmund also coincided with all the silverware they've won in the 2000's

Mad guy. That kick on Mkhitaryan!!

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 11:24:38 pm »
Good call, he was someone who was in the consideration for a long time, and it was a close call for me. On one hand he was eccentric and maybe even a pioneer in his way of Goalkeeping, on the other hand, his mistakes on the big stages made me question certain aspects of his game.

This is what I'm looking for, mate - more opinions and thoughts. Regarding Higuita, any idea about how consistent was he? By personal viewing experience or from sources?

what is held against him is he only spent a few months in Europe at valladolid and most of the time in Colombia (which was one of the stronger leagues thanks to the likes of Escobar, Rodriguez brothers etc) but his impact is why I’d personally put him high as from memory there wasn’t any other top tier keeper like him, whereas now most are of that style (less eccentric tho)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 11:41:55 pm »
Gary Lineker

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 12:12:34 am »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 12:58:28 am »
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 08:38:33 am »
Someone who gets lost in the shuffle but I'm pretty sure was a Ballon D'Or winner was Rivaldo. His antics at 2002 World Cup soured him for a lot of people who might've been  seeing him for the first time. Brazil have some decent players now but there's been no one like him since.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 10:11:07 am »
Top Footballers By Eras

Ever thought about including versatility (not just position, but players who played well in different leagues are under diff playing styles, or shone at national AND international level geting extra credit) or big match ability?

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 02:36:05 pm »

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 02:39:59 pm »
No love for packie bonner. Legend.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 03:06:54 pm »
Ever thought about including versatility (not just position, but players who played well in different leagues are under diff playing styles, or shone at national AND international level geting extra credit) or big match ability?

Bolded is considered - say for example Goycochea is at a higher rank for his International level. It is included in the list of criteria posted.

As for versatility in terms of position, I don't intend to include any player just for versatility, but if a player has enough quality in one predominant position for a 5 year duration & has exhibited quality in a different main position for the next 5 years, I include this player in both positions for respective duration. That implies versatility, but I'm not adding extra points for it.

In terms of different leagues or styles, it is not a criteria as such. You don't HAVE to prove in different league, but since it's a 5 year duration, players can afford an adjustment period to a league if their quality has remained high for the other 3 seasons or so. Although, if a player completely fails to adjust, then they will no longer make it. Classic examples would be the likes of Kaka, Shevchenko, Veron & Torres who would make it high in their position for 1 set of 5 years & would not at all make it in the next.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 03:11:54 pm »
Someone who gets lost in the shuffle but I'm pretty sure was a Ballon D'Or winner was Rivaldo. His antics at 2002 World Cup soured him for a lot of people who might've been  seeing him for the first time. Brazil have some decent players now but there's been no one like him since.

Yeah, but I promise Rivaldo won't get lost in the shuffle here. He's going to be one of the highest ranked players when I'm done with his position.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 03:20:04 pm »
No love for packie bonner. Legend.

Good shout. Bonner was a hero in 1990 for sure, but he presents a conundrum where his best work at club level was in the 80s, and for the national team in the 90s. That meant his team accolades in the 90s were a bit short & he was not accredited that much at club level in 90s by international magazines. I'll look at any stats available/local reports to dig deeper into this.

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »
Top Footballers By Eras

Jerzy Dudek                       (Feyenoord/Liverpool F.C., Poland)

What?  I love the man as much as anyone for Istanbul, but he was a shite goalkeeper.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 04:34:26 pm »
What?  I love the man as much as anyone for Istanbul, but he was a shite goalkeeper.

It's not black and white though is it, not for Dudek, not for any player in consideration. Each player has his own merits & demerits.

This is my reasoning - IFFHS had him in Top 10 for 3 years during that period (Top 5 in one of them). His last season at Feyenoord was a huge success (being the 1st foreign player to win the Dutch Golden Shoe - Harder to do being a Goalkeeper and all). Then that continued over to the next season here, where he was good in that season and we finished 2nd. He was nominated for UEFA Goalkeeper of the Year along with Kahn & Buffon. Things only took a downturn post that where he struggled for a couple of seasons, but obviously made his redemption by being a huge part of the Champions League win.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 05:10:02 pm »
Lothar Matthäus is a name that I think my generation and younger are starting to forget. Again, I don't remember him at all, but by all accounts he was one of the best midfielders in the World for a decade. Can any RAWKites back that up?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 05:23:33 pm »
I feel like maybe we could wait for OP to finish his list before we ask who is and isn't on there?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 05:25:20 pm »
Lothar Matthäus is a name that I think my generation and younger are starting to forget. Again, I don't remember him at all, but by all accounts he was one of the best midfielders in the World for a decade. Can any RAWKites back that up?

he was the dog's bollocks.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 05:38:55 pm »
he was the dog's bollocks.

Regularly proclaimed himself as such, in fact...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 06:46:22 pm »
I feel like maybe we could wait for OP to finish his list before we ask who is and isn't on there?

:)

Yeah, I would like the discussion to be with Goalkeepers for now. So far, there have been some quality shouts for Goalkeepers to revisit, so I thank everyone for the opinions.

I'm not forgetting the likes of Matthaus or Rivaldo who are two of the greatest players to play in their respective positions. I'd have Matthaus as No. 1 in CM of All-Time (leaving out AMs/Playmakers) and Rivaldo as a Top 10 Deep Lying Forward of All-Time. Two of the most obvious names when we get to those positions.

The thing to understand here is that some of these who may have touched into the 90s may not have had their peak in the 90s, may have declined, but we would still be remembering their 70s or 80s versions of them. Such players won't be eligible until I complete every position and go back to 70s & 80s later. There will be certain players like that. Dasayev was mentioned by someone and he's an example of someone who peaked in the 80s, but isn't eligible for the 90s.

EDIT: I'm targeting to get the CBs in this weekend.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:48:19 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 06:59:23 pm »
What do you all think of Jorge Campos? Crazy GK who also played Striker. One of those mad Latin American Goalies, he played for Mexico.

Both Higuita and Campos are divisive in terms of a lot of the content I've read about, so I've been on knife-edge about them both.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 07:19:38 pm »
and with Reus too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DszQTmx-Nlk

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 07:53:33 pm »
Does Brucie deserve a mention? He did play until 1995 in the Prem and it was the situation with Souness that cost him his Liverpool place, which he did regain?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2019, 10:29:23 pm »
Several decades.  He went on basically forever.  Germany were shite in 2000 but he was still getting a game.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 09:45:00 am »
Does Brucie deserve a mention? He did play until 1995 in the Prem and it was the situation with Souness that cost him his Liverpool place, which he did regain?

Yeah, but the 90s also coincides with our massive decline, which is not ideal. He wouldn't satisfy individual or team accolades criteria. He'd make the 80s for sure.

Considering our decline in the 90s, the only players of us whom I'd pulled in so far for the 90s are Barnes, McManaman and Fowler of course. As individual quality & consistency has to overcompensate for lack of challenging for top honours, even Rushie's 2nd innings with us beyond the 90s is a bit of a question mark.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 09:53:24 am »
Yeah, but the 90s also coincides with our massive decline, which is not ideal. He wouldn't satisfy individual or team accolades criteria. He'd make the 80s for sure.

Considering our decline in the 90s, the only players of us whom I'd pulled in so far for the 90s are Barnes, McManaman and Fowler of course. As individual quality & consistency has to overcompensate for lack of challenging for top honours, even Rushie's 2nd innings with us beyond the 90s is a bit of a question mark.

It was his league winners medal in 1990 and FA Cup in 1992 that made me think of Brucie. Sadly, the fact that Souness ripped the team apart, signing dross as replacements, which caused their declines. I'll always be convinced that, under a different manager who tweaked rather than ripped apart, we would have won the title again in the early 90's
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 09:55:00 am »
It was his league winners medal in 1990 and FA Cup in 1992 that made me think of Brucie. Sadly, the fact that Souness ripped the team apart, signing dross as replacements, which caused their declines. I'll always be convinced that, under a different manager who tweaked rather than ripped apart, we would have won the title again in the early 90's

Yes, mate. I think the same. Souness tried to change too much too soon and it didn't help one bit at all.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 06:03:26 pm »
Center Backs/Central Defenders of early 90s are in.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2019, 06:13:04 pm »
Gareth Bale and Gary Linker
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2019, 06:21:45 pm »
 ;D

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2019, 09:19:28 pm »
Boli and Desailly from that 1993 Marseille team.