Author Topic: Women's World Cup 2019 (*)  (Read 78886 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Women's World Cup 2019 (*)
« Reply #80 on: June 9, 2019, 02:59:41 pm »
Referee standard is beyond shit in women’s football it seems.
Not much different in the men's game at times, that, just sayin ;) (fewer professional women match officials means a smaller pot to choose from - it's all symptomatic of the same root issue - women get an incredibly rough ride when trying to rise through the reffing ranks - seen it first hand)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #81 on: June 9, 2019, 02:59:55 pm »
Keeper though had a touch of the David De Gea's there

If you watch her coming off her line, she misjudged the flight of the ball, which caused the miss of the header...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 9, 2019, 03:01:27 pm »
This should be at least 3 or 4 already. Awful finishing from Brazil
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: June 9, 2019, 03:10:52 pm »
At least Jamaica have a good goalkeeper. More than can be said for most teams.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 9, 2019, 03:11:37 pm »
At least Jamaica have a good goalkeeper. More than can be said for most teams.

She looks really good.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 9, 2019, 03:12:00 pm »
That's an awful penalty. Keeper moves far too early

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #86 on: June 9, 2019, 04:35:12 pm »
Loving the football, but I’m not liking VAR! And I’m not liking these late, late flags for offside.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #87 on: June 9, 2019, 04:53:13 pm »
I'd love to see someone come out and actually tell the truth, but that would be hard to find in todays PC drowned world. Men are better at some things and women are better at others. Trying to force women to be good at more male endeavors and vice versa just isn't going to work out how you want it to; nature made us this way for a reason. The PC/feminist brigade won't have that though. Physicality, athleticism, technique, skill, decision making, spatial awareness - all things they can do relatively well in other areas in isolation, but football demands it all together. The result is a very poor standard.

One example was an own goal I saw from last season. For some inexplicable reason the woman sent a pass back to the keeper from near her own halfway line (under no pressure), but hit it as if she was trying to clear the stadium. A high lofty hoof. That was bad enough, she should never have hit it anywhere near like that, but what the keeper did next was just as inexplicable. She came out to get it, completely misjudged it and it went over her and into the goal. Now, some will say "That happens in mens football sometimes as well you know" but that kind of thing, terrible technique and poor decision making, happens A LOT in the womens game, to the point where it's really hard to watch. There are so many embarrassing own goals and goalkeeping. The standard is terrible.

I often say that it's probably 5th tier level and that's being kind, but even then, there's a reason I don't watch 5th tier football. The BIG problem I have with it though is how much they are trying to get the womens and the mens teams to be equal. If they aren't equal in standard then they aren't equal. If the standard is so bad that people don't want to watch it (attendances for womens top tier in this country has dropped for the last three years running, despite all the promotion of it - attendances are usually a few hundred, just over a thousand at most) then why should women be paid the same as the men are?

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the BBC has gone all out this year promoting women's football as much as possible. Lots of stories placed on the BBC website, videos etc etc. They'll sell them with clickbait titles "Amazing goal" but they're often nothing of the sort. It's being forced down people's throats and anytime you do that you end up helping to turn people away. A lot of the comments sections have been disabled because so many people were commenting in a more 'truthful' way than they deemed fit. This is the modern world in a nutshell though isn't it: agree with what we say or think, or you won't be allowed to say it.

I wish them the best in what they do, but when they start making demands and organizations and media go out of their way to force an agenda, all whilst not having any self-awareness of their actual abiltiies, well, I'm out. Enjoy it if you can fellas, I won't be watching any of it.

I missed this earlier but anything even vaguely on these likes is f*cking ridiculous and will lead to muting or a ban.

Saying that women are genetically incapable of playing football to a high standard is a view so backward it verges on the troglodytic. The men's game has decades of professionalism with the benefit of a vast amount of money pumped into the game and training, support and coaching to the highest standard. Experience and success have built on each other for the best part of a century to leave us at the level we are now.

The women's game has been professional for a few years, has lacked anything like the funding of men's football (and still does) and continues to enjoy a fraction of the support and coaching. That the standard is lower is obvious but entirely unsurprising in the circumstances in which the game is played. There may be limitations on women's physicality as compared to men - it is plainly true that men can reach speeds and levels of strength with women cannot. But to suggest that the current differentiation in standard between men's and women's football is because of some biological deficiencies is absurd.

If this is "PC gone mad" you can find another website more suited to your taste. I'm sure Koptalk would be thrilled to have you.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #88 on: June 9, 2019, 04:54:22 pm »
So is this England as screaming hot favs for the game?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #89 on: June 9, 2019, 05:14:23 pm »
Really not a fan of the new handball rule.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 9, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »
penalty for England after VAR.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 9, 2019, 05:14:57 pm »
VAR is slowly ruining the game.

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 9, 2019, 05:15:25 pm »
VAR is absolutely shite. Spoiling the game

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 9, 2019, 05:15:34 pm »
VAR is slowly ruining the game.

VAR's not the problem here, the handball rule is the problem. That wouldn't have been a penalty under the old rules.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #94 on: June 9, 2019, 05:15:45 pm »
1-0 England, seemed a very harsh pen to me. Didn't know about these new goalkeeping rules when facing a pen, are they across the board?

Basically keepers have to be rooted to the deck!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 9, 2019, 05:16:29 pm »
Glenn Hoddle is furious with that penalty award.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 9, 2019, 05:19:06 pm »
Glenn Hoddle is furious with that penalty award.
;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #97 on: June 9, 2019, 05:22:11 pm »
Good save that.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 9, 2019, 05:23:31 pm »
England women playing some seriously good football,.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 9, 2019, 05:23:45 pm »
Didn't know about these new goalkeeping rules when facing a pen, are they across the board?

Basically keepers have to be rooted to the deck!

Pretty sure he was wrong about that, that rule doesn't come into being until July (across the board) I think. At least that was what they were saying during the England Switzerland penalties.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 9, 2019, 05:27:35 pm »
Pretty sure he was wrong about that, that rule doesn't come into being until July (across the board) I think. At least that was what they were saying during the England Switzerland penalties.

The rule came in from the start of June but doesn't apply to any tournament that started before that date (which the Nations League did).

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 9, 2019, 05:27:45 pm »

If it's the same as other new rules, it came into play on 1st June but only for competitions that started after that. As the Nations League started last year, it doesn't apply. The World Cup only started on Friday, so it does.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #102 on: June 9, 2019, 05:31:56 pm »
Excellent play by England so far.

Not an avid watcher of women’s football but I do catch the world cups when they come round. The quality and tactical play always massively improves with each World Cup.

I felt last time the quality had improved but the general structure of the game including the build up play and tactics were incomparable to the men’s game. It was basically a different sport, which isn’t a sleight, it just meant you had to adjust your mindset when watching it as you weren’t looking for the same things. More tight knit pockets that moved around the pitch rather than expansive play.

This performance however is completely comparable to the men’s game from both sides. The speed of evolution is remarkable, long may it continue.

I think the development of the women’s game won’t have been dissimilar to how the men’s developed, except there is a set preconceived notion of how the game should look, which has damned the game in a lot of people’s eyes as something lesser. I just can’t see that. It’s just at a different point in its maturity. And whilst the men’s game is tweaked, the women’s game comes on leaps and bounds. Seeing a sport develop like that is something we rarely get to see, and is really exciting to see.

One of the major aspects that has improved and will change the game is the fitness and strength of the players. With more money comes more training and higher quality instruction. You can see the pay off from both sides here.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #103 on: June 9, 2019, 05:33:15 pm »
I missed this earlier but anything even vaguely on these likes is f*cking ridiculous and will lead to muting or a ban.

Saying that women are genetically incapable of playing football to a high standard is a view so backward it verges on the troglodytic. The men's game has decades of professionalism with the benefit of a vast amount of money pumped into the game and training, support and coaching to the highest standard. Experience and success have built on each other for the best part of a century to leave us at the level we are now.

The women's game has been professional for a few years, has lacked anything like the funding of men's football (and still does) and continues to enjoy a fraction of the support and coaching. That the standard is lower is obvious but entirely unsurprising in the circumstances in which the game is played. There may be limitations on women's physicality as compared to men - it is plainly true that men can reach speeds and levels of strength with women cannot. But to suggest that the current differentiation in standard between men's and women's football is because of some biological deficiencies is absurd.

If this is "PC gone mad" you can find another website more suited to your taste. I'm sure Koptalk would be thrilled to have you.

Here here

The only thing that’s wrong with women’s football is Jonathan Pearce
I just can’t stand him
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #104 on: June 9, 2019, 05:33:42 pm »
England are so strong down the right with Bronze and Parris.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 9, 2019, 05:34:26 pm »
The rule came in from the start of June but doesn't apply to any tournament that started before that date (which the Nations League did).

If it's the same as other new rules, it came into play on 1st June but only for competitions that started after that. As the Nations League started last year, it doesn't apply. The World Cup only started on Friday, so it does.

I stand corrected - teaches me for listening to Martin Tyler.  ;D

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #106 on: June 9, 2019, 05:37:54 pm »
Bit off topic, but regarding the progress made in the women's game in general, I remember about 20 years ago I took my 2 young daughters to see the LFC Ladies team.

It was played in little more than a park, with ropes around the touchline, and the match itself was of dreadful quality.

Great to see the women's game has come a long way since then.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 9, 2019, 06:30:41 pm »
Neville has got them playing well structured football, the pace of the women's game is slower than the men's obviously and the disparity between good teams and shit ones is way bigger than the men's but the top teams are improving alright.

My main question is, has there ever been a good manager/coach who succeeded at the women's game then transitioned into a top job for the men's?
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 9, 2019, 06:36:14 pm »
Game on.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #109 on: June 9, 2019, 06:45:08 pm »
My main question is, has there ever been a good manager/coach who succeeded at the women's game then transitioned into a top job for the men's?

I like Neville in this role, he gives it his all and has come out and said it's his greatest achievement in football getting England to where they are now. Don't reckon any manager has done well enough in the women's game to get a decent job in the men's game, could be wrong though, but nobody springs to mind.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 9, 2019, 06:55:07 pm »
England were poor in the 2nd half but a win's a win.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 9, 2019, 06:55:51 pm »
 :wellin :wellin :wellin
Some great football. enjoyed it far more than last nights England game.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2019, 01:02:37 am »
Not much different in the men's game at times, that, just sayin ;) (fewer professional women match officials means a smaller pot to choose from - it's all symptomatic of the same root issue - women get an incredibly rough ride when trying to rise through the reffing ranks - seen it first hand)

Just the fact that many soft fouls were given in that Aus vs Italy game really annoys me. And in general, by watching the few games that I had, the feeling I got was that they are almost playing with different set of standards or should I say a softer version?? Is like, if any team plays like us (high pressing, aggressive when not in possession) in women’s football, they will end up committing hundreds of foul and dozens of cards. Which is not good for the game and is irritating as hell with so many stop/start. Could just be me........

However, I do get your point in terms of the difficulties regarding the much smaller pool of ref. to choose from. Would be nice to see more female ref. being trained and employed by men’s league given if they are good enough for the job.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:12:01 am by Chig »
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2019, 02:27:02 am »
Just the fact that many soft fouls were given in that Aus vs Italy game really annoys me. And in general, by watching the few games that I had, the feeling I got was that they are almost playing with different set of standards or should I say a softer version?? Is like, if any team plays like us (high pressing, aggressive when not in possession) in women’s football, they will end up committing hundreds of foul and dozens of cards. Which is not good for the game and is irritating as hell with so many stop/start. Could just be me........

However, I do get your point in terms of the difficulties regarding the much smaller pool of ref. to choose from. Would be nice to see more female ref. being trained and employed by men’s league given if they are good enough for the job.

You need to get your hands on video of UNC under Anson Dorrance. They were "gegenpressing" before "gegenpressing" was a thing. One of my favourite teams of all time that one.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2019, 03:41:40 am »
You need to get your hands on video of UNC under Anson Dorrance. They were "gegenpressing" before "gegenpressing" was a thing. One of my favourite teams of all time that one.

Which of the 38?

Easier to gegenpress with liberal substitution...

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2019, 06:59:35 am »
Which of the 38?

Easier to gegenpress with liberal substitution...

True that. But still, 3-4-3, pressing, 1v1 and 2v1 play - that's my jam :D

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2019, 11:56:49 am »
True that. But still, 3-4-3, pressing, 1v1 and 2v1 play - that's my jam :D

Plus, for the first 30 years or so, the best players in the country.

Also your jam... :D

Anson was the best recruiter for a very long time...

Then all the stories started coming out...

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »
Plus, for the first 30 years or so, the best players in the country.

Also your jam... :D

Anson was the best recruiter for a very long time...

Then all the stories started coming out...

True again. But on the other hand, Barca, Madrid, AC Milan, United, us - recruitment brings success,  but there still needs to be a play model to follow.

And also, jam ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2019, 05:45:01 pm »
True again. But on the other hand, Barca, Madrid, AC Milan, United, us - recruitment brings success,  but there still needs to be a play model to follow.

And also, jam ;D

Yes, PoPs wants jam on it...

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2019, 06:26:05 pm »
This Japan v Argentina game would be a belting remedy for insomnia.