Author Topic: Brighton & Hove Albion.  (Read 21630 times)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Brighton & Hove Albion.
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:57:16 am »
No thread on Brighton.

WHOLE new one here.

Hughton had to go?

Edit: Updated thread title.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48251716
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:55:13 am by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Hughton sacked by Brighton
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:58:05 am »
Didn't see that one coming.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:59:53 am »
Sacked for keeping them in the Prem? Crikey.

Graham Potter is 1/8 odds on with Paddy Power. His stock has risen quickly hasn't it?!
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:00:06 am »
His assistant and first-team coach have left as well -

@OfficialBHAFC

Brighton & Hove Albion have confirmed that Chris Hughton has left the club with immediate effect.

Hughton’s assistant Paul Trollope and first-team coach Paul Nevin have also left.

#BHAFC 🔵⚪️

Good luck to both Hughton and Brighton! Hopefully Hughton gets another job soon.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:04:47 am »
His assistant and first-team coach have left as well -

Good luck to both Hughton and Brighton! Hopefully Hughton gets another job soon.

I don't think he'll find it hard to find another job to be honest.

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:12:29 am »
Gets a decent pay off no doubt and avoiding relegation looks good on his CV. After five years there it's hard to see where else they/he could go...

He'll be alright. He seems like a nice guy too, it's ungrateful of the Brighton board but this is football, nothing surprises you. I'm sure Hughton's been around long enough to accept that these things happen.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:16:59 am »
They’ve been awful for months so hardly a shock, and he will probably get a decent championship gig or lower prem gig soon

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:48 am »
Kind of Makes sense providing they don’t pick up one of the old boys from the managerial merry go round

His stock won’t exactly have fallen either and will have no trouble getting work.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 10:20:51 am »
I think Brighton would have been respected a bit more if they'd announced a 'by mutual consent'.
Hughton has been good for them,defo punched above their weight in the PL.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:25 am »
Writing was on the wall. I think they reached as far as he could bring them and they need something else. Potter would be a good appointment for them.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:46 am »
He will find another job in the Championship.

I can’t say I’m too surprised by this, especially after the money they spent last summer. They went big on Ali Jahanbakhsh and Hughton consistently opted to play players like March over him. Hughton probably would’ve prevented them from being relegated for another season or two, but they were never going to take the next step under him.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:17 am »
I’d have made them favourites to go down, if they didn’t make the decision. Good move.

Can’t wait to hear what Jason Roberts has to say on it.
AHA!

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:11 am »
Would've thought this could've been a good gig for Werner maybe.

Houghton did a good job there, a great job - but sometimes the time is up.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
Not surprising, only won 2 premier league matches since 29th December, very fortunate Cardiff, Fulham & Huddersfield have been worse.
#Sausages

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 10:28:51 am »
He seems like one of the nicer managers in the league. Brightons next managerial appointment will be crucial to their Premier League status. They would do well to avoid the likes of Moyes and Hughes.
Justice for the 96!

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 10:29:16 am »
Sacked for keeping them in the Prem? Crikey.

Graham Potter is 1/8 odds on with Paddy Power.

They would be better off with Harry Potter.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 10:42:55 am »
I'm sure Hughton's been around long enough to accept that these things happen.

He'll be fine. He got treated much worse at Newcastle.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 11:23:40 am »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand relegated

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 11:30:38 am »
He won't have a problem getting a new job. That said, he has to work on correcting some of the defensive issues that plagued Brighton and his Norwich side

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 11:40:59 am »
The owner is a gambler by profession, they haven't been great and wasted a lot of money on very average players. Don't think it's overly harsh. We also don't know what the aims set at the start of the season were.

The next appointment will be really interesting.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 11:53:14 am »
The owner is a gambler by profession, they haven't been great and wasted a lot of money on very average players. Don't think it's overly harsh. We also don't know what the aims set at the start of the season were.

The next appointment will be really interesting.

Sometimes there's a strong case to be made that teams survive relegation only because there are worst teams.  If you have one eye on the teams coming up and the teams around yours, then I guess it's fair to consider where you could be in six months' time.

That said, if they pluck someone from the merry go round then this becomes a highly idiotic move and the deserve everything they've got coming to them.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 11:57:17 am »
Their form was terrible.

From a few fans I know they liked him, but felt he had gone as far as he could go with them.

That Potter link is mad, why would they risk him?  They have a great set up, nice ground, good backing from the owners, great training complex and have the potential to grow into a proper Premier League club.

I would throw what I can at someone like Eddie Howe.  Brighton have the potential, maybe already are bigger than Bournemouth.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 12:02:16 pm »
Their form was terrible.

From a few fans I know they liked him, but felt he had gone as far as he could go with them.

That Potter link is mad, why would they risk him?  They have a great set up, nice ground, good backing from the owners, great training complex and have the potential to grow into a proper Premier League club.

I would throw what I can at someone like Eddie Howe.  Brighton have the potential, maybe already are bigger than Bournemouth.

Is Howe that much better than Hughton though? He too seems to have had massive struggles this season.  He seems to be a coach who reaches a point where you think if that's his highest level.  It'd be a sideways move for both club and coach.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:10 pm »
No surprise really. Seems a solid enough chap but they basically survived by virtue of other teams being some of the worst in Premier League history, rather than anything good he’d done lately. Not sure who does the recruitment there but they should be next if it wasn’t Hughton.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 12:13:11 pm »
They have been hopeless in the second half of the season and looked nailed on for relegation next season.  I'm sure there'll be lots of people defending him and slating the chairman but if Brighton go down they'd be in for a hell of a fight to get back up again.

Also, whenever Glenn Murray leaves the pitch they look beyond toothless.  That's not a great place to be!

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 12:16:20 pm »
If only Man utd hadn't rushed their appointment.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 06:31:32 pm »
Not convinced this is a good call

Isn’t 17th about their level? Cup semi final in the cup too

Think he deserved the summer to sort it out

Red hot favourites for relegation now for me as at least two of the clubs coming up will be better than them IMO

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 06:38:49 pm »

He'll need to take SK Brann to the top of the Norwegian league first

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 07:05:44 pm »

Sarri might be free in the next few weeks.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 07:16:28 pm »
Is Howe that much better than Hughton though? He too seems to have had massive struggles this season.  He seems to be a coach who reaches a point where you think if that's his highest level.  It'd be a sideways move for both club and coach.

Shipping 5 to a Hodgson side should be a sackable offence in itself.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 07:18:23 pm »
Not convinced this is a good call

Isn’t 17th about their level? Cup semi final in the cup too

Think he deserved the summer to sort it out

Red hot favourites for relegation now for me as at least two of the clubs coming up will be better than them IMO
If Brighton carried their second half form into next season they'd be down anyway, and they were in freefall from mid-March onwards. They might get relegated but it's worth trying something different at this point.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 07:25:27 pm »
Frustrating to see it’s been used to ‘highlight the lack of Black managers’ in the game. Read the below.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11741/11719010/john-barnes-thinks-brighton-were-wrong-to-fire-chris-hughton

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 07:30:31 pm »
I see a lot of UK based reporters being outraged since Hughton's a "nice guy" and he had Brighton staying in the PL which is punching above their weight.  Which is bullshit as any PL team is automatically one of the 30th richest teams in the world.  Any team has the money to do more than bunker and hope for a miracle from week to week.  Brighton were the worst team in the league for 2019 and Hughton's response was to double down on awful football which barely tried to win, more just not lose.  Combined with him not seeing eye to eye with the recruitment team then I'm not really sure what other choice the club had. 

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 07:30:54 pm »
It's not a surprise given the money they've spent, which on the quiet is a lot. Seems to have been a disconnect somewhere because he hasn't made a lot of the signings - maybe he's not on the same page as the recruitment side of it. Either way their second half of the season was nearly a disaster.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2019, 07:34:01 pm »
I like Hughton. Always thought he's a doppelganger of Barack Obama. Hope h gets another job soon, Brighton will probably go down.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 07:37:01 pm »
I see a lot of UK based reporters being outraged since Hughton's a "nice guy" and he had Brighton staying in the PL which is punching above their weight.  Which is bullshit as any PL team is automatically one of the 30th richest teams in the world.  Any team has the money to do more than bunker and hope for a miracle from week to week.  Brighton were the worst team in the league for 2019 and Hughton's response was to double down on awful football which barely tried to win, more just not lose.  Combined with him not seeing eye to eye with the recruitment team then I'm not really sure what other choice the club had.

They'll find out next season.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 07:38:04 pm »
If Brighton carried their second half form into next season they'd be down anyway, and they were in freefall from mid-March onwards. They might get relegated but it's worth trying something different at this point.

Or buying better players for someone who is regarded in coaching circles as an excellent coach.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 07:41:48 pm »
I like Hughton. He always comes across as very decent. I didn't think he'd get sacked but then again I'm not that surprised. They only stayed in the league because the sides below them were woeful. He'll easily find another job, but Brighton are doomed if they hire someone along the likes of Pardew/Allardyce/Moyes.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 08:25:14 pm »
Or buying better players for someone who is regarded in coaching circles as an excellent coach.
At Championship level perhaps, but they have a net spend of £120m from the last two seasons. They can't all be awful players surely?

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 08:36:32 pm »

This is the crux of the matter. It’s a question of how good the scouting system is and whether their recruitment is any good.

We know what an excellent coach David Wagner is but Huddersfield’s recruitment screwed him up, I’m thinking the same for Hughton.

Rarely do we ever see promoted Championship clubs get it right in terms of recruitment after they’ve secured themselves after their initial season in the Premier League. Clubs like Southampton benefited from a great youth setup so that suggests the best foundations are investing in the youth for any sustainability in the league.

Are the data analysts up to scratch, should they be paying top dollar for better internal analytics? Or do they get complacent and profligate with Premier League cash once they have safely secured another year in the Premier League?

I think it’s a bit of both, but at the end of the day, it’s the manager whose the scapegoat for such failures.