Author Topic: England’s Cricketing Summer 2019 - West Indies/Pakistan & The Ashes  (Read 223505 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: England’s Cricketing Summer 2019 - West Indies/Pakistan & The Ashes
« Reply #1080 on: July 17, 2019, 04:22:51 pm »
I remember in the 80s they had 6 Test series and all the grounds got to host one. I know since then we have Durham, Southampton and Cardiff. I know they’re modern grounds and they’ve worked hard to get Test status but still doesn’t feel right when they get the really big series ahead of the old traditional grounds.

Was 1995 and the West Indies the last time we had a 6 Test series against a single country?

1991: 5 v Windies 1 v Sri Lanka
1992: 5 v Pakistan
1993: 6 v Australia
1994: 3 v New Zealand 3 v S Africa
1995: 6 v Windies
1996: 3 v India 3 v Pakistan
1997: 5 v Australia
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1081 on: July 17, 2019, 04:22:52 pm »
Headingley missed out for Cardiff in the last Ashes didn't it? That wasnt a popular decision.

Cardiff have had two.  2009 and 2015

In 2009 Trent Bridge and Old Trafford didn't get a Test Match all summer whilst Cardiff got the 1st Ashes Test and Durham got a match against the West Indies.

In 2015 Cardiff again hosted the 1st Ashes Test whilst Old Trafford missed out that summer completely.  Headingley got a match against New Zealand.

Old Trafford has obviously been refurbished over the last few years, so I don't know if they missed out on one of those occasions because of the work they were doing .

Edit.  I'm not moaning, as I went to both the Cardiff Test matches.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:25:35 pm by Kekuleyule y'all! »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1082 on: July 17, 2019, 04:23:18 pm »
I agree. I've benefitted by being able to go to the two Ashes tests in Cardiff but it would be much better if the 3 remaining tests of the series were rotated between Headingley, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston and Old Trafford.

It’s a tricky one because they’d all soon wonder what the point was is they just got Bangladesh in May but a good mix should be found. Was it last summer that the entire India series didn’t get north of Birmingham (maybe Nottingham). Think Manchester or Leeds should at least always get one of the Major Tests each summer.

I’m sure there’s a suitably convoluted bidding process!

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: July 17, 2019, 04:27:47 pm »
Was the bidding process that threatened some counties

They were bidding so much some could have gone bust. Then rain or a three day test they were making a loss

Believe it’s alot more sensible now with guarantees on certain number of matches etc

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1084 on: July 17, 2019, 04:27:50 pm »
Well theres one less test ground to choose from in the next 5 years as Glamorgan agreed to not bid for a test after getting a payment from the ECB to help service their debts last year.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1085 on: July 17, 2019, 04:39:12 pm »
Lord's and The Oval are always going to get test matches as frankly they are the 2 best grounds.

For the Ashes there are then 2 in the north and one in the midlands - all seems fair enough to me.

I suppose the Ireland game could have been hosted at Southampton or Trent Bridge, that would have made sense, maybe as it's a unique game the Irish wanted it at Lord's.

I didn't quite get the comments about the WC final being played somewhere else than Lord's, it was always going to be played there, and on TV the atmosphere seemed okay to me.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1086 on: July 17, 2019, 05:07:16 pm »
Well theres one less test ground to choose from in the next 5 years as Glamorgan agreed to not bid for a test after getting a payment from the ECB to help service their debts last year.

Durham isn't allowed any more tests either as part of their 'rescue package' a few years ago.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: July 17, 2019, 05:48:57 pm »
I agree. I've benefitted by being able to go to the two Ashes tests in Cardiff but it would be much better if the 3 remaining tests of the series were rotated between Headingley, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston and Old Trafford.

Edgbaston should always get one. Firstly, it's in the middle of the country, and secondly, it's almost England's real 'home ground'.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #1088 on: July 18, 2019, 02:37:10 am »
Was 1995 and the West Indies the last time we had a 6 Test series against a single country?

1991: 5 v Windies 1 v Sri Lanka
1992: 5 v Pakistan
1993: 6 v Australia
1994: 3 v New Zealand 3 v S Africa
1995: 6 v Windies
1996: 3 v India 3 v Pakistan
1997: 5 v Australia

6, don't forget the thriller at the Oval where Caddick and Tufnell took a bucketload of wickets defending 120 odd.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: July 18, 2019, 03:13:57 am »
Lord's and The Oval are always going to get test matches as frankly they are the 2 best grounds.
Perhaps, but they seldom have the best pitches; Old Trafford with it's pace and bounce has usually produced the goods. As has been mentioned, Edgbaston is also a favourite, having produced incredible Tests (often favouring us).

In my opinion, too much emphasis is placed upon 'drama', rather than the quality of the game. If a game is tedious for 4 days and ends with tension on the 5th day, is it better than a 3 or 4 day game that has you hooked all the way through, yet doesn't go the distance? Not for me.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1090 on: July 18, 2019, 06:32:42 am »
Perhaps, but they seldom have the best pitches; Old Trafford with it's pace and bounce has usually produced the goods. As has been mentioned, Edgbaston is also a favourite, having produced incredible Tests (often favouring us).

In my opinion, too much emphasis is placed upon 'drama', rather than the quality of the game. If a game is tedious for 4 days and ends with tension on the 5th day, is it better than a 3 or 4 day game that has you hooked all the way through, yet doesn't go the distance? Not for me.

Maybe not, but for the test matches there is no getting away from the history, status and structure of the grounds, Lord's and the Oval are just the best 2.

Also whilst I agree about the pitches many would say the surface at Lord's for the WC final was ideal as it offered something for the bowlers and created a very even contest, rather than the flat 'batsman's paradise' we have seen many times lately.

I understand what you mean, however in a 5 game test series I would say it's currently a certainty 2 would be at Lord's and the Oval.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:34:56 am by Frank Becton »

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: July 18, 2019, 03:49:59 pm »
Maybe not, but for the test matches there is no getting away from the history, status and structure of the grounds, Lord's and the Oval are just the best 2.

Also whilst I agree about the pitches many would say the surface at Lord's for the WC final was ideal as it offered something for the bowlers and created a very even contest, rather than the flat 'batsman's paradise' we have seen many times lately.

I understand what you mean, however in a 5 game test series I would say it's currently a certainty 2 would be at Lord's and the Oval.
Yep, that's fair enough.

I understand the point about the Lords pitch for the final, but I like to see batsmen able to trust the the pace and bounce of the ball. If there's pace and bounce in the wicket, edges carry, it helps spinners and there is still room for fluent strokeplay. When a wicket is a bit 'sticky' like Lords, it seems like too much of a leveller - even average bowlers are hard to get away.

I feel the difficulty should come from the skill of the bowler rather than the dubious nature of the surface. This is why I'd like a Dukes ball (or something similar with a proper seam) to be used in ODI cricket; bowlers with good control of the seam will prosper and you don't need the pitch to turn it into a lottery. Sticky wickets can also produce really dour cricket, not that I'm saying the Final wasn't great, but the occasion helped massively.

Ultimately though, I do believe that games are better when the bowlers have a fair shout, I just disagree with the way they went about it.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1092 on: July 18, 2019, 05:04:51 pm »
Yep, that's fair enough.

I understand the point about the Lords pitch for the final, but I like to see batsmen able to trust the the pace and bounce of the ball. If there's pace and bounce in the wicket, edges carry, it helps spinners and there is still room for fluent strokeplay. When a wicket is a bit 'sticky' like Lords, it seems like too much of a leveller - even average bowlers are hard to get away.

I feel the difficulty should come from the skill of the bowler rather than the dubious nature of the surface. This is why I'd like a Dukes ball (or something similar with a proper seam) to be used in ODI cricket; bowlers with good control of the seam will prosper and you don't need the pitch to turn it into a lottery. Sticky wickets can also produce really dour cricket, not that I'm saying the Final wasn't great, but the occasion helped massively.

Ultimately though, I do believe that games are better when the bowlers have a fair shout, I just disagree with the way they went about it.

It was a very green looking pitch for the final, I was surprised how much grass they left on it, and with the slope it was difficult to bat on.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1093 on: July 18, 2019, 05:05:58 pm »
I reckon that pitch was an accident.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: July 18, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »
England women are getting shown who's boss big time by the Aussies. The gulf in class is absolutely gigantic.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: July 18, 2019, 06:11:37 pm »
It was a very green looking pitch for the final, I was surprised how much grass they left on it, and with the slope it was difficult to bat on.

It was like a Day 1 test match wicket in early summer, it was that green.

To be honest it was similar to a real proper test match. Plenty in it for the bowlers and a real challenge for the batsmen to accumulate their runs.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1096 on: July 18, 2019, 06:20:57 pm »
I thought it was an enthralling final myself. Sure it wasn't edge on your seat smashing the ball out of the ground stuff but at no point did you know who was going to win, right up to the last ball. When England were taking wickets there was always that thought in the back of your mind of how would their free hitting batsman cope on a wicket that didn't let the ball come onto the bat. Every run was earnt and it led to an incredible ending that we'll never see again. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1097 on: July 18, 2019, 07:37:16 pm »
England women are getting shown who's boss big time by the Aussies. The gulf in class is absolutely gigantic.

I watched a little of it, like you say totally outclassed, England are okay against the weaker sides where generally the standard is poor. However, Aussies have some good players and they struggle against them, nothing against the women's game but what I saw today the fielding was terrible, and Brunt is the only decent bowler, the spinners were bowling slow full tosses at times 2 feet outside the off stump.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: July 18, 2019, 08:34:28 pm »
I thought it was an enthralling final myself. Sure it wasn't edge on your seat smashing the ball out of the ground stuff but at no point did you know who was going to win, right up to the last ball. When England were taking wickets there was always that thought in the back of your mind of how would their free hitting batsman cope on a wicket that didn't let the ball come onto the bat. Every run was earnt and it led to an incredible ending that we'll never see again. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

I totally agree. Can’t beat a proper contest between bat and ball. One of my main gripes with ODI’s recently has been that it seems to have favoured batting for some time. The World Cup was good to watch in general.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1099 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:04 pm »
An ending like on Sunday can make any game look good.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1100 on: July 22, 2019, 09:22:22 pm »
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAGUttiWwAAuhdv?format=jpg

looks like this is in for this week's game. I'm sure it'll lead to loads of moaning.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: July 23, 2019, 05:35:27 am »
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAGUttiWwAAuhdv?format=jpg

looks like this is in for this week's game. I'm sure it'll lead to loads of moaning.
I’m a traditional kinda gal but I gotta say, I don’t mind that.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1102 on: July 23, 2019, 10:51:05 am »
Anderson not fit for the Ireland test.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: July 23, 2019, 11:01:39 am »
Anderson not fit for the Ireland test.
I feel like I’ve seen this one before.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: July 24, 2019, 10:52:39 am »
Tail look very long in this team.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1105 on: July 24, 2019, 11:08:51 am »
Names and numbers not until the ashes. So the elderly MCC members have a few weeks more before they keel over in shock.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: July 24, 2019, 11:12:00 am »
Very lucky there Roy - plum LBW but a no ball!
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: July 24, 2019, 11:13:17 am »
Roy gone now!!! 8-1 England's opening woes continue.
 :(
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1108 on: July 24, 2019, 11:13:31 am »
Murtagh averages in the 20s at Lord's in first class cricket. So he's got form.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: July 24, 2019, 11:15:24 am »
Right let's see what England's latest number 3 can do against the new ball.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1110 on: July 24, 2019, 11:16:17 am »
Murtagh averages in the 20s at Lord's in first class cricket. So he's got form.

Could we steal him?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1111 on: July 24, 2019, 11:17:10 am »
Roy gone now!!! 8-1 England's opening woes continue.
 :(

Can you stop with the negativity? You were the same in the world cup. He got a good ball from a bowler who plays for Middlesex and has taken over 200 wickets at 23/24 at Lords. It's one innings, give him a chance.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1113 on: July 24, 2019, 11:19:05 am »
Opportunity now for Denly to get some runs.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1114 on: July 24, 2019, 11:22:02 am »
Great stat from TMS

This is the first time a visiting team has had more first class experience at Lords than the England team.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1115 on: July 24, 2019, 11:24:07 am »
Names and numbers not until the ashes. So the elderly MCC members have a few weeks more before they keel over in shock.
I'm not an MCC member, but even I don't see the point in having names and numbers on shirts for test matches.  It'll look weird and I don't understand why they made this change.  Maybe I'm just a soppy traditionalist!

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1116 on: July 24, 2019, 11:27:34 am »
I'm not an MCC member, but even I don't see the point in having names and numbers on shirts for test matches.  It'll look weird and I don't understand why they made this change.  Maybe I'm just a soppy traditionalist!

It's fine. It might help some people work out who's who and a few kids might want a shirt with a player on it.

I'd be more arsed if they wanted larger sponsors on the front.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: July 24, 2019, 11:29:16 am »
I don't really get the point in numbers in cricket. The scoreboard tells you who is batting, who is on strike and who the bowler is. Do the fielders really matter?

Its different in football when people are always moving around.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: July 24, 2019, 11:29:22 am »
Can you stop with the negativity? You were the same in the world cup. He got a good ball from a bowler who plays for Middlesex and has taken over 200 wickets at 23/24 at Lords. It's one innings, give him a chance.

Yeah I can see he got a good ball, negativity is a symptom of England loosing yet another early wicket, it's not like I've just rocked up and not seen it all before. My comments were balanced in the World Cup rather than all negative, no idea what your on about to be honest.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1119 on: July 24, 2019, 11:37:09 am »
I don't really get the point in numbers in cricket. The scoreboard tells you who is batting, who is on strike and who the bowler is. Do the fielders really matter?

Its different in football when people are always moving around.

It is helpful for seeing who the fielder is when you’re in the ground (I know they flash it up in the scoreboard these days). No harm in it though, gets the old Root 66 going and always good to have a sweepstake in which over confident prick will opt for 69.

Wonder if players have to have the same number as their one day shirt?

They’ve had them in the county game for quite a while I think.