Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 448345 times)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #1520 on: December 5, 2018, 10:26:51 pm »
Well taken goal.

Mahrez nearly £60 million and this guy £13 million.

Amazing bargain.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1521 on: December 5, 2018, 11:38:56 pm »
Excellent goal and he took it well. He keeps on making a very strong case to start every game. Even if he is a sub then he can make a big impact.
#JFT97

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1522 on: December 5, 2018, 11:41:17 pm »
The only player you don’t mind being a square peg in a round hole.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1523 on: December 5, 2018, 11:43:12 pm »
Nowhere near good enough for Liverpool  ;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1524 on: December 6, 2018, 02:00:53 am »
3 goals, 3 assists, but he can do more than that, well in lad

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1525 on: December 6, 2018, 03:09:33 am »
Remarkable speed to get up the field on that counterattack for his goal.

You know, that speed people said he didn't have :D

Or that stamina to make that sprint at the end of the game, that he's also not supposed to have :)
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1526 on: December 6, 2018, 04:03:14 am »

You know, that speed people said he didn't have :D

Or that stamina to make that sprint at the end of the game, that he's also not supposed to have :)

or the work rate people said he didn't have

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1527 on: December 6, 2018, 07:17:31 am »
Top player. If our forward line is more receptive by making better runs/diagonals, he can assist them even more.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #1528 on: December 6, 2018, 09:38:11 am »
Some of us weren't in doubt about this :D

Players play to the level that's demanded of them, or they fail. Shaqiri hadn't had any demands on him at Stoke for workrate, but he put in the yards for Switzerland whenever I saw him. Plus, he's build for power, but aerobic conditioning is probably the easiest thing to improve, so he was always liable to prove the doubters wrong on that score, once he was placed under the physical demands of a Klopp team

Don’t get me wrong, Shaqiri is playing far better than I thought he would, happy to wipe the egg off my face and put my hand up on that one.

But I’d point out the following:
-  This was the 1st game he’s played 90 this season under Klopp
- 90 was practically forced by an injury and 2 subs chasing the game
- We had something like 75% possession
- We aren’t nearly as aggressive pressing this season
- He’s not played a lot of consecutive games that would cause cumulative fatigue

Are any of those points above wrong? I’ll concede his “great stamina when I see 3-4 consecutive starts without subs, particular if it’s high energy type games that we’ve seen against top opposition.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2018, 09:41:05 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1529 on: December 6, 2018, 09:48:43 am »
Thought he was quiet in the first half but none of the front 3 had much to work with.

Second half he seemed to roam a lot more and a really well taken goal.

Plenty more to come from him.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1530 on: December 6, 2018, 09:54:49 am »

Don’t get me wrong, Shaqiri is playing far better than I thought he would, happy to wipe the egg off my face and put my hand up on that one.

1.  This was the 1st game he’s played 90 this season under Klopp
2. 90 was practically forced by an injury and 2 subs chasing the game
3. We had something like 75% possession
4. We aren’t nearly as aggressive pressing this season
5. He’s not played a lot of consecutive games that would cause cumulative fatigue

Are any of those points above wrong? I’ll concede his “great stamina when I see 3-4 consecutive starts without subs, particular if it’s high energy type games that we’ve seen against top opposition.
1. He wasn't purchased to be a key player to drag us to titles. He won't play a huge number of 90-minute games, anyway. And, presumably, he is still building up his fitness this season to be like the other players.
2. see 1.
3. True.
4. I think the consensus now is that we will take it up in the second half of the season. But, yes, good point, I think.
5. See 1.

So, while there might be some limitations to Shaqiri or the last game might not prove his ability to play 50 games a season at the highest tempo whilst pressing, nor do I think he was bought for that purpose, especially when you take into account that we were also trying to sign Fekir at the same time. To me, that suggests that the aim was for him to play even less football, and primarily only in the front 3.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: December 6, 2018, 09:55:37 am »

-  This was the 1st game he’s played 90 this season under Klopp
- 90 was practically forced by an injury and 2 subs chasing the game
- We had something like 75% possession
- We aren’t nearly as aggressive pressing this season
- He’s not played a lot of consecutive games that would cause cumulative fatigue

I’m sure what PoP means about stamina is the ability to maintain a high work rate over 90mins. I think you’re talking more about conditioning, which would enable him to do it game after game.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #1532 on: December 6, 2018, 09:56:18 am »
Well taken goal.

Mahrez nearly £60 million and this guy £13 million.

Amazing bargain.

That was an unfair comparison. Mahrez was PL winner and PL player of the year. Overall, Mahrez is still a better player although Shaq isn't too far behind.

I feel Shaq was our most creative player last night but still learning the way we play and the position is new to him after playing for Mark Dinosaur Hughes for years. A few times he was looking around wondering where he should be but at least he has that awareness. One time I did see him hesitate to track back and only remembered after a second to chase for a ball he just lost.

His technique and confidence is amazing though, like he knew he would pull off anything he wanted. If only Sturridge and Origi had more movement up front Shaq would have assisted them more easily.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #1533 on: December 6, 2018, 09:57:56 am »

That was a defiance of physics with a poor aero-dynamics body.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1534 on: December 6, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
Sturridge seems to suit that #10 role these days. He’s so good on the ball, has great technique and can make passes like that lofted chip to Salah.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1535 on: December 6, 2018, 10:01:58 am »
I’m sure what PoP means about stamina is the ability to maintain a high work rate over 90mins. I think you’re talking more about conditioning, which would enable him to do it game after game.

Are we calling that a high intensity game? I think both the intensity of the individual game and ability to maintain that intensity are relevant to not just conditioning but stamina as well.

He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: December 6, 2018, 10:05:10 am »
Are we calling that a high intensity game? I think both the intensity of the individual game and ability to maintain that intensity are relevant to not just conditioning but stamina as well.

Yeah, good point, but I think Klopp will have him ready for those sort of games. Let’s see.

I think the minimised pressing/intensity on our part is a strategy to be fresher in the second half of the season.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: December 6, 2018, 10:07:10 am »
1. He wasn't purchased to be a key player to drag us to titles. He won't play a huge number of 90-minute games, anyway. And, presumably, he is still building up his fitness this season to be like the other players.
2. see 1.
3. True.
4. I think the consensus now is that we will take it up in the second half of the season. But, yes, good point, I think.
5. See 1.

So, while there might be some limitations to Shaqiri or the last game might not prove his ability to play 50 games a season at the highest tempo whilst pressing, nor do I think he was bought for that purpose, especially when you take into account that we were also trying to sign Fekir at the same time. To me, that suggests that the aim was for him to play even less football, and primarily only in the front 3.

Okay, fair enough but you can’t say....look at the stamina, see how wrong everyone was about his stamina and then make the arguments you’ve made. They were all good points but none of them refute the stamina argument. It’s really a case of wait and see once he’s had time to get his “Klopp legs”.

It’s not fair to judge him yet but neither is it fair to waggle fingers at people that questioned his stamina. IMO it still hasn’t been proven.

What has been proven though is he’s a boss and it’s almost an unequivocal success already:
« Last Edit: December 6, 2018, 10:11:20 am by DanA »

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: December 6, 2018, 10:19:39 am »
Yeah, good point, but I think Klopp will have him ready for those sort of games. Let’s see.

I think the minimised pressing/intensity on our part is a strategy to be fresher in the second half of the season.

Im just wondering have we seen a huge jump in fitness/stamina. Or have we seen a change in game style and intelligent management of game time that has hidden these issues and allowed Shaqiri to thrive?

I don’t think I got the players attributes wrong, IMO I just didn’t see how Klopp planned to maximise those talents and how effective Klopp’s plan would be.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2018, 10:23:25 am by DanA »

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1539 on: December 6, 2018, 03:35:42 pm »
https://anfieldindex.com/35548/what-to-expect-from-xherdan-shaqiri-a-statistical-analysis.html

I wrote about Shaqiri in the summer when he signed - similar to my Chamberlain thread the previous season. I felt people were pigeon holding him as a set piece expert who cuts in onto his left and shoots every chance he gets in open play. I remember getting into that on here with someone too.

Interesting reading it back now. It's good that I picked up on a few things where he would fit our style of play. Where he has really surprised me is his work rate though. He is putting in the hard yards every game and out running known work-a-holics like Hendo & Gini. I hoped that Klopp would get more out of him and he would be functional in that aspect of his game - but he has really blown me away with his work off the ball.

On the ball - it is pretty much what I had hoped for. Although racking up a goal/assist every 77 minutes as of late is probably more end product that expected. But the penetration he offers is exactly what we need and often miss.

To be fair, he's changed a lot of pre-conceived notions and opinions, including yours.

I remember you saying something about how poorly you rated Shaqiri when he was first linked to us back in June in the Summer Transfer window thread. So try not to toot your own horn too hard there fella.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: December 15, 2018, 07:56:47 pm »
How opinions have changed about the cube  ;) I'm willing to admit that I've made my share of whoppers about players (Richarlison is making me eat my words) but it's funny to see how opinions have changed in a few short months.

Wouldn't mind shaqiri as a back up to our front 3...

Too fat, slow, and lazy.
Always blames the others in his team for the above

Mental people want either. It's not 2011 lads ffs.

The shouts for Shaqiri are beyond mad :lmao

Zaha would be £50m and Shaqiri probably £30m

One scores 1 in 9 the other 1 in 8. SHITE

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1541 on: December 16, 2018, 12:41:49 am »
How opinions have changed about the cube  ;) I'm willing to admit that I've made my share of whoppers about players (Richarlison is making me eat my words) but it's funny to see how opinions have changed in a few short months.

Still plenty of people who pedal the narrative that Mané was only coming in to be a squad player and nobody had any idea of the impact he would have.  Which is bullshit.

You have to accept that, with the best will in the world, sometimes people haven't got a fucking clue.  :P
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1542 on: December 16, 2018, 01:43:16 am »
Still can't believe how could he only cost us 13m.
Believer

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #1543 on: December 16, 2018, 02:19:57 pm »
A big game player, and they don't get much bigger domestically than today's.

Could be a matchwinner from the bench.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1544 on: December 16, 2018, 05:47:13 pm »
DEFLECTION CULT HERO!!!

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #1545 on: December 16, 2018, 05:51:23 pm »
I fucking love him! Get in!!!
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: December 16, 2018, 05:51:40 pm »
Fucking yes!

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: December 16, 2018, 05:51:55 pm »
He is immense. What a player.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1548 on: December 16, 2018, 05:52:16 pm »
Class cameo. Exactly what we needed

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1549 on: December 16, 2018, 05:52:22 pm »
Shaq attack!!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1550 on: December 16, 2018, 05:53:10 pm »
A big game player, and they don't get much bigger domestically than today's.

Could be a matchwinner from the bench.

:thumbup :thumbup :wellin :wellin
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1551 on: December 16, 2018, 05:53:11 pm »
Gwan the cube!

Every single time he touched the ball he made something happen.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: December 16, 2018, 05:53:12 pm »
Love how he adds that creative element up front, always finding and slipping into space. That was why those shots and went in - right time and place.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #1553 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:05 pm »
Big Shaq is in the house
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1554 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:38 pm »
he is ruthless :D

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: December 16, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »
GET IN !!! Well done Shaq  :)
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1556 on: December 16, 2018, 05:56:58 pm »
Cuuuuuuuube!!

He’s an utter fucking bargain!!

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1557 on: December 16, 2018, 05:57:16 pm »
Extend his contract now!
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1558 on: December 16, 2018, 05:57:55 pm »
To think I hoped we don't sign him.
What a weapon I am.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1559 on: December 16, 2018, 05:58:55 pm »
No cube should possess so much power