Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1041258 times)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16600 on: September 17, 2018, 01:47:50 pm »
Even the iPhone XR is a bit of a joke. 6.1" edge to edge screen but its just over 720p? Okay then....lol

What's their reasoning behind that? Is the XR going to be a budget iPhone? I read it's got the same PPI as an iPhone 4?!
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16601 on: September 17, 2018, 01:51:32 pm »
What's their reasoning behind that? Is the XR going to be a budget iPhone? I read it's got the same PPI as an iPhone 4?!

Yeah it's the new 'budget' iPhone.

PPI is 326, which is the same as the iPhone 8 (although that had a 1334 x 750, 4.7", display).

iPhone 4 did have a 326ppi display, 960 x 640, 3.5".

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #16602 on: September 17, 2018, 01:53:18 pm »

Its the entry level iPhone which starts at an astonishing £749 for 64GB. Yep same PPI which is okay I guess but in 2018 it feels like a step back.

If you look at iPhone 6/6S/7/8, all of them in the plus size were 5.5" and full 1080p HD resolution. They were also thinner but I'm going to assume Apple have finally started listening to people who don't care about that and would rather have more battery life. Either way, Apple are taking the piss with pricing and they will keep pushing that strategy until future sales make them think otherwise.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16603 on: September 17, 2018, 02:11:58 pm »
Its the entry level iPhone which starts at an astonishing £749 for 64GB. Yep same PPI which is okay I guess but in 2018 it feels like a step back.

If you look at iPhone 6/6S/7/8, all of them in the plus size were 5.5" and full 1080p HD resolution. They were also thinner but I'm going to assume Apple have finally started listening to people who don't care about that and would rather have more battery life. Either way, Apple are taking the piss with pricing and they will keep pushing that strategy until future sales make them think otherwise.

Cheers - admittedly watching videos isn't the only reason people buy phones but surely people won't spend £750 on a device which doesn't play videos in 1080p.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16604 on: September 17, 2018, 02:13:50 pm »
Cheers - admittedly watching videos isn't the only reason people buy phones but surely people won't spend £750 on a device which doesn't play videos in 1080p.

On that size screen I doubt it will be much of an issue. Most comments I've read about the phone so far don't seem to be mentioning the screen quality as being an issue.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #16605 on: September 17, 2018, 02:19:42 pm »
So to get the monthly cost "down" to £65 a month on 02 (that's without massive upfront cost) on the XR, you now
have to have a 36-month contract!

To be fair, if you have an OLED phone in your jacket which costs more than a MacBook Pro, why do you need to upgrade more than
once every 3 years.

Crazy times we live in.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16606 on: September 17, 2018, 02:22:51 pm »
Crazy times we live in.

Insane.

Imagine 720p in 2021 - yuk

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #16607 on: September 17, 2018, 07:38:48 pm »
#accidentalpartridge

Online keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #16608 on: September 17, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »
iOS12 - any early thoughts?
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16609 on: September 18, 2018, 10:41:05 am »
720p is not too bad on a screen of that size, but the fact is every single phone in its price bracket offers at least a 1080p screen and quite a few brands offer 2K displays for far less.  You can actually tell the difference when playing high bitrate videos.

Considering the amount they are asking for, it doesn't make any sense for them to be not giving a higher resolution display. The price difference between a good quality 720p panel and a 1080p one cannot be that high.

Also seen reports that LTE speeds on the XR are slower than the other two models, due to the use of 4*4 MIMO capable modem

Basically they should have released three models, one 'compact', one standard and one Xl, with similar specs, with size being the main differentiator . The XR is not cheap enough to justify the downgrade in specs (no 3d touch as well or the much touted 'taptic engine'). 

Phuk yoo

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16610 on: September 18, 2018, 10:43:54 am »
Basically they should have released three models, one 'compact', one standard and one Xl, with similar specs, with size being the main differentiator . The XR is not cheap enough to justify the downgrade in specs (no 3d touch as well or the much touted 'taptic engine').

I imagine they carried out millions of dollars worth of market research, as well as having wayyyy more information as to what their customers have been purchasing and demanding in recent history, to make a judgement on what to provide.

They didn't just decide on that size and spec on a wing and a prayer.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16611 on: September 18, 2018, 10:52:40 am »
I am finding it hard to believe that their market research indicated that consumers prefer a 720p display for a phone costing 800 quid.  They are probably banking on the fact a majority of iphone consumers are not the most discerning in terms of specs and will happily take anything on offer as long it has an Apple logo on it.

As I said, every single phone above 300 includes a 1080p display or more.  720p in 2018 is laughably outdated(although workable). I used to have a Nexus 4 with a 720p display in 2012! My old LG G pro has a nice 1080p IPS panel and it was released in the first quarter of 2013. 
Phuk yoo

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16612 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:20 pm »
Yeah explain to be
720p is not too bad on a screen of that size, but the fact is every single phone in its price bracket offers at least a 1080p screen and quite a few brands offer 2K displays for far less.  You can actually tell the difference when playing high bitrate videos.

Considering the amount they are asking for, it doesn't make any sense for them to be not giving a higher resolution display. The price difference between a good quality 720p panel and a 1080p one cannot be that high.

Also seen reports that LTE speeds on the XR are slower than the other two models, due to the use of 4*4 MIMO capable modem

I don't think any human being can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 5.7 inch screen!

OLED may look nicer but let's be honest, it's all about how much you can afford and want to invest in the latest handset.

For me, my next iPhone will replace my iPad mini which goes to the kids, so larger screen and loads of memory are what I want.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16613 on: September 18, 2018, 12:55:16 pm »
Yeah explain to be
I don't think any human being can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 5.7 inch screen!

OLED may look nicer but let's be honest, it's all about how much you can afford and want to invest in the latest handset.

For me, my next iPhone will replace my iPad mini which goes to the kids, so larger screen and loads of memory are what I want.

The biggest advantage of Oled is the amazing contrast and infinite black levels.  Blacks are truly black, as opposed to LCDs, which are really a very deep shade of grey.

However, LCD IPS panels have their own benefits as well, like truer color reproduction, lower battery consumption on light themed UIs and few issues with screen burn in.  A good LCD IPS panel can give OLED a run for its money. LG makes some very good LCD panels that look better than their OLED displays.
Phuk yoo

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16614 on: September 18, 2018, 05:36:53 pm »
iOS 12....

Not really looked at it much, but the measure that app is brilliant.  I have no idea if it’s actually of any use, but it’s adictive in a weird sort of way... I’m meansuring everything.

Seems pretty accurate too.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16615 on: September 19, 2018, 12:58:26 pm »
My Gold 256GB Max is already at the O2 store ready to pick up Friday morning ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16616 on: September 19, 2018, 05:39:17 pm »
Bugger off!

No news on mine yet hmmph
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16617 on: September 20, 2018, 02:31:42 pm »

Getting a Silver one, same spec and size.
No sign of it arriving tomorrow, need to find a case.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16618 on: September 20, 2018, 03:55:34 pm »
Mine is waiting for me to collect tomorrow!

W

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16619 on: September 20, 2018, 04:07:26 pm »
Mine is waiting for me to collect tomorrow!

Apparently old micro-sims do NOT work, so haven't not ordered one online, the shop will need to give me a new one.

Hmm, slightly annoying!

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16620 on: September 20, 2018, 07:29:16 pm »
Apparently old micro-sims do NOT work, so haven't not ordered one online, the shop will need to give me a new one.

Hmm, slightly annoying!
What phone do you currently, have?

My 7 definitely has a nano sim
W

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16621 on: September 20, 2018, 08:28:20 pm »
Getting a Silver one, same spec and size.
No sign of it arriving tomorrow, need to find a case.

I've gone with the Saddle Brown leather case this year. Usually get a horrible Tech 21 beast that protects the phone but looks awful, I'm in a new job now that should be less likely to make me drop my phone (plus I've got insurance anyway) so I've gone for style over substance this time. Picked it up yesterday, it is quite lovely... though whether it's worth £55 is probably up for debate.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16622 on: September 21, 2018, 11:06:58 am »
What phone do you currently, have?

My 7 definitely has a nano sim

7. Maybe the Apple website was misleading! Will go pick up my new iPhone at lunchtime.

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16623 on: September 21, 2018, 10:38:55 pm »
7. Maybe the Apple website was misleading! Will go pick up my new iPhone at lunchtime.

7 was definitely a nano sim, my 6 had nano sim and maybe even the 5 too so they’ve been around a long time now.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
The iPhone
« Reply #16624 on: September 21, 2018, 11:30:49 pm »
7 was definitely a nano sim, my 6 had nano sim and maybe even the 5 too so they’ve been around a long time now.

Every iPhone since the 5 has used a nano, correct.

This XS Max is a thing of beauty, by the way. The gold colour is stunning.

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16625 on: September 22, 2018, 12:07:33 am »
Both my daughters want this new one for Christmas, out of interest what are the monthly payments looking like?

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #16626 on: September 22, 2018, 02:33:13 am »
Both my daughters want this new one for Christmas, out of interest what are the monthly payments looking like?

Got a teenage daughter as well and a recent broken phone, instead bought a Cubot P20 - Chinese rip off of iPhone X but a brilliant phone for 100 quid!! Daughter is very happy quoting its an iPhone x but better :) win-win check out gearbest

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16627 on: September 22, 2018, 11:00:35 am »
Got the gold X Max. It is beautiful.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16628 on: September 22, 2018, 12:39:33 pm »
Every iPhone since the 5 has used a nano, correct.

This XS Max is a thing of beauty, by the way. The gold colour is stunning.

I’m paying £72 per month for my 256GB Max with 20GB data on a two year contract with O2. And then I’ve got loss/theft/accidental damage insurance on top for an extra £15 per month... which takes us to £87. And that’s with a Friends & Family discount. If I didn’t have that, I’d be paying £102 per month.

O2 definitely aren’t a cheap network though so I’m sure other places will be a lot better. They give you the option of taking a 36 month contract to lower the monthly cost but no thank you.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16629 on: September 22, 2018, 09:01:44 pm »
No offence, but how fucking much?  A phone would need to be shitting gold before I was paying over a grand a year for it.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16630 on: September 22, 2018, 09:33:24 pm »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16631 on: September 22, 2018, 09:34:31 pm »
Would it not have been much cheaper to just buy the phone outright and pay for it on an interest free CC - and get a sim only deal elsewhere?

I'll avoid doing the maths on what I'm paying for my youngest daughter's IPhone X, plus insurance because you're probably right mate.

I should have just bought the fucking thing and said if you tell your brother and sister you're living with Chopper until the otherwise contract would have expired.

Costly! This is a genius technological level of legal extortion that only idiots subscribe to.

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16632 on: September 23, 2018, 12:07:08 am »
Got a teenage daughter as well and a recent broken phone, instead bought a Cubot P20 - Chinese rip off of iPhone X but a brilliant phone for 100 quid!! Daughter is very happy quoting its an iPhone x but better :) win-win check out gearbest
Will look it up ta [emoji1303]

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16633 on: September 23, 2018, 12:08:29 am »
I’m paying £72 per month for my 256GB Max with 20GB data on a two year contract with O2. And then I’ve got loss/theft/accidental damage insurance on top for an extra £15 per month... which takes us to £87. And that’s with a Friends & Family discount. If I didn’t have that, I’d be paying £102 per month.

O2 definitely aren’t a cheap network though so I’m sure other places will be a lot better. They give you the option of taking a 36 month contract to lower the monthly cost but no thank you.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16634 on: September 23, 2018, 10:32:23 am »
My iPhone 6 has no data or signal. Doesn’t even say “no service” at the top status bar. Tried turning off and on but still, nothing. I’m with 3 so not sure if it’s their network that’s down. So at the moment I just have WiFi on my phone. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #16635 on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:45 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with shared contracts?

If me and someone else are both looking to get a new iPhone, would it work out cheaper if we combined into one contract rather than buying two separate ones?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16636 on: September 24, 2018, 02:13:20 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with shared contracts?

If me and someone else are both looking to get a new iPhone, would it work out cheaper if we combined into one contract rather than buying two separate ones?

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/mobile/guides/mobile-family-plans
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #16637 on: September 24, 2018, 02:52:54 pm »

Does it come with DSL? Or is that the price for just the phone and a sim?!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16638 on: September 24, 2018, 03:42:27 pm »

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16639 on: September 24, 2018, 03:51:01 pm »
Got the gold X Max. It is beautiful.

Got a silver one and I agree. Trouble is, I can't decided what cover to buy; who's gonna buy an ugly-ass cover for these things!