Author Topic: The history of Liverpool FC in pictures  (Read 685641 times)

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
Re:The history of Liverpool FC in pictures
« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2003, 01:51:21 am »
Markus Scores
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2003, 02:44:07 am »
Owen gets a pen
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2003, 02:45:39 am »
Macca scores from the penalty.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2003, 02:46:33 am »
Robbie adds one
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2003, 02:49:53 am »
The treble is ours.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2003, 02:51:16 am »
Almost a million people turn out on the streets of Liverpool to welcome their returning heroes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 02:51:52 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #446 on: July 23, 2003, 02:53:44 am »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #447 on: July 23, 2003, 02:54:53 am »
Gary mac
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #448 on: July 23, 2003, 02:55:59 am »
Robbie
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #449 on: July 23, 2003, 02:58:54 am »
A few months later & we were turning a bunch of no-marks over in the Charity shield.

Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #450 on: July 23, 2003, 03:00:45 am »
With Michael ripping past some big ugly Dutch fella to score another.

Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #451 on: July 23, 2003, 03:02:47 am »
Yet again the big silver dish thingy was on its way to Anfield.
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #452 on: July 23, 2003, 03:18:44 am »
That banner.  ;D ( Sorry lads had to put it on here, as its been on the telly that many times, it is now part of our history)

I'm sure Reeves will agree.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 03:19:25 am by RedBoywonder »
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #453 on: July 28, 2003, 05:35:24 pm »
A picture says a thousand words.  ;D
Justice for the 96.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Re:Post some Liverpool pics
« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2003, 08:02:09 am »

Simply a God, Part of the Holy Trinity, Billy, Bill and Bob
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2003, 10:36:04 pm »
^
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #456 on: August 23, 2003, 09:50:55 pm »

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #457 on: August 27, 2003, 02:59:04 pm »

Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #458 on: August 29, 2003, 02:56:14 pm »

BACK ROW: John Welsh, Jon Otsemobor, Gregory Vignal, Stephane Henchoz, Patrice Luzi, Chris Kirkland, Jerzy Dudek, Igor Biscan, Markus Babbel, Djimi Traore, Zak Whitbread

THIRD ROW: Dr. Mark Waller (Club Doctor), Graham Carter (Kit Manager), Paul Small (Masseur), Carl Medjani, Richie Partridge, Anthony Le Tallec, Michael Foley-Sheridan, Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Mark Browes (Physiotherapist), John Wright (Masseur), Stuart Welsh (Masseur).

SECOND ROW: Joe Corrigan (Goalkeeping Coach), Dave Galley (Physiotherapist), Ian Rush (Coach), Hughie McAuley (Coach), Bruno Cheyrou, Salif Diao, Harry Kewell, Milan Baros, Steve Finnan, El-Hadji Diouf, Sammy Lee (First Team Head Coach), Christian Damiano (First Team Head Coach), Alex Miller (Director of Scouting).

FIRST ROW: Vladimir Smicer, Danny Murphy, Emile Heskey, Steven Gerrard, Phil Thompson (Assistant Manager), Gérard Houllier (Team Manager), David Moores (Club Chairman), Sami Hyypia (Captain), Michael Owen, Jamie Carragher, John Arne Riise.
Justice for the 96.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: August 30, 2003, 10:04:11 pm »

The Shop.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #460 on: September 8, 2003, 03:09:41 am »
Great pic of the new shop Robbie.
Justice for the 96.

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #461 on: September 16, 2003, 04:15:57 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This deserves to go back up  :)

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: September 20, 2003, 08:01:12 am »

Paddys mate.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: September 27, 2003, 07:55:53 pm »

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #464 on: September 27, 2003, 10:17:05 pm »
Born to be red.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: September 27, 2003, 10:42:04 pm »

“The born Red”.

Roy Evans career began at Liverpool at the age of 16 although he was a talented footballer, (representing England school boys at left back), he wasn’t able to sustain a regular starting place playing only 11 times in 4 years. At the age of 25 seeing that his playing career was not moving forward he was offered a coaching position. “The recognition of Evans' coaching potential was a brilliantly inspired piece of insight, credited largely to Shankly, but undoubtedly the brainchild of new manager Paisley.”
The chairman at that time stated with the appointment of Evans, “We have appointed someone who will one day be a manager of this club", said chairman John Smith.” He was appointed coach of the reserve team and in the 9 seasons (1975-1983) he won 7 league titles.

Time went on, with the retirement of Shankly and Paisley, Joe Fagan (one of the bootroom boys) took the position of the manager role and appointed Evans has first team coach. Fagans Managerial career with Liverpool was although successful (winning English footballs first treble), but was short lived due to the terrible Heysel disaster which seen 39 Juventus supporters dying after been crushed by a collapsing wall in the 1985 European Cup Final. That seen Liverpool appoint Kenny Dalglish as player/manager. His managerial career also successful ended due to the pain, anguish of the Hillsborough tragedy. That was the start of the slow decline of Liverpool FC. Midfield legend Graeme Souness took on the managerial role at the club where he enjoyed so much success as a player. His reign as manager was not a successful one and the once almighty Liverpool started to decline.

This is when Roy Evans, ‘The Manager’ story starts and also when my devotion and understanding of Liverpool and football in general started to take effect. I supported Liverpool since I was 7 years old 1987 to be exact but at that time I didn’t understand much about what was going on all I knew was Liverpool the players and they used to win that’s it. It was only in the early 90’s when I really started to understand football during the Souness era, I even have my football cards from 1992 with Grobbelaar, Mark wright, Steve Nicol, Ronnie Whelan, Ray Houghton, Jan Molby, John Barnes, Ian Rush and the rest of the team, the time when Vinny Samways was still allowed to play ;) Peter Beardsley was an Everton man and Gordan Strachan was still  player. Those were the times when I really started to watch Football.

Enough of me rambling on back to the Evans story. Evans took over the managerial role from Graeme Souness in the 1994-1995, season, and boy did he have some work to do. So he decided, "Well I decided we had to return to getting the simple things right.” The main thing Evans had to sort out was the defense which was really ‘leaky’. He brought in Phill Babb and John Scales to sort that out, but didn’t really work.
“Strenuous efforts were made to improve the team's consistency but as Evans points out, it's not simply a case of deciding who you want to buy and then picking them up at the supermarket. Back in the days when you had to finish as champions or perhaps 2nd place to gain a Champions League slot it was obviously harder to entice top European players to the club if you were outside of those places. There may be all sorts of reasons why you can't sign someone. We were in for Marcel Desailly and it looked like we'd got him, then at the last minute Chelsea showed an interest and he went there - he preferred going to London over Liverpool. His quality would have been ideal at the back for us. I also went to watch Lillian Thuram a few times when it looked like we might be able to get him but for various reasons the deal never materialised." Liverpool were also now been called the ‘Spice Boys’, supposedly more interested in modeling contracts, flash cars etc then football. “This was a team that oozes talent and class, McManam, Fowler, Redknapp, Collymore and the experience of Barnes and Rush. When they were good they were very good, but when they were bad they were awful.” Evans reign with Liverpool as a manager was not as successful as his reign of the reserves in his previous years, having won only the league cup (Worthington cup) in 94/95, runners up in the F A cup to Manchester (spit) Utd in 95/96 and finishing 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd in his four full seasons as manager.

In his Final full season at Liverpool seen his team play great attacking football, but bad defense and inconsistency seen Liverpool bring in Frenchman Gerard Houllier as joint manager alongside Evans, this partnership didn’t seem to be working as Evans and Houllier had very different ideas causing confusion between players and Evans knowing that the board were not going to sack Houllier having just brought him in, decided to resign. So ended his 34year love affair with Liverpool. In his time at Liverpool he has seen an experienced all the success, all the disappointment and all the pain as a Supporter first then a player, then coach, assistant manager and eventually Manager of Liverpool FC. Evans and Liverpool on the whole is a love story, fairytale and thrilling drama rolled into one, with success, heartbreak, happiness and pain, joy and tragedy.

There is a lot of discussion as to why Evans never actually went on to manage other teams, he had short spells at fulham helping out Riedle as care-take manager for a few weeks and director of football at Swindon for 6 months. Some might even say that he would not go anywhere else because it was not Liverpool. This is what he had to say, "You never say never in football but there's a perception about me that because I'm Liverpool through and through I couldn't work anywhere else. That's not true of course."
"The only regret I have is that we didn't win the title in 1996. I felt that side was good enough but in the end we just fell short."  Maybe we might see Evans in a managers position or maybe the first part is true, that if it is not Liverpool then no thanks. If it is the first part then such devotion to one club should be applauded as it is a loss to other football clubs all over.

I do however think, and this is just my opinion so don’t bite my head off, that Evans would be a great manager in this time with the ability to sign Multimillion pound players, and with playing in Europe being able to attract players from all over the world. Knowing that he has an eye for players having wanted to sign Desailly and Thuram, using what he had learned from the masters Shankly and Paisley, in modern football he could create a whole new revolution. He is the one of the only ones left who has experienced Shankly’s philosophy of “pass and move”. Many people have theories on how football should be played, Evans team were very attacking, flamboyant and entertaining to watch even for the neutral supporter but with hardly any success, while Houlliers team are more tactical, and organized trying to give nothing away losing alittle in the creativity department but winning alittle more in the trophies department. Which is better? I have my opinion and you have your opinion and that’s that.

On that note we say Good Bye and God bless to the last of the ‘Boot Room Boys’ and the man “Born to be Red”.

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Keep Kool
Koolkamal
 8)

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: September 28, 2003, 09:24:17 am »
I wrote this article awhile back, things have changed alittle at Houlliers camp, with the team trying to be more creative and fluent.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #467 on: September 28, 2003, 11:53:12 am »
Bill
Justice for the 96.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #468 on: September 28, 2003, 11:54:01 am »
Bob
Justice for the 96.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: September 30, 2003, 12:03:21 am »

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #470 on: October 15, 2003, 08:56:21 am »

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #471 on: October 15, 2003, 11:34:26 am »
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #472 on: October 15, 2003, 11:36:09 am »

;D ;D
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #473 on: October 15, 2003, 11:37:27 am »

8)
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #474 on: October 15, 2003, 11:41:52 am »

;)
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #475 on: October 15, 2003, 11:53:20 am »

apols for gruesomness - if anyone minds I'll remove it pronto.
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #476 on: October 15, 2003, 12:01:26 pm »
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline Bren

• Kopite
« Reply #477 on: October 15, 2003, 12:10:35 pm »

dont know if these have all been put up before...
Stevie, Boma Ye

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: October 21, 2003, 12:21:03 am »

Offline berzniz

• Boys Pen
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #479 on: October 22, 2003, 12:54:41 pm »
Old king of the KOP