Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2766750 times)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #65000 on: August 27, 2022, 09:12:09 am »
What a colossal fuck up yet again by the Raiders  :butt

According to ESPN, Raiders are expected to trade or cut 2021 1st round pick OL Alex Leatherwood when the rosters are cut to 53 on Tuesday.

Whether this was Mayock or Gruden, another dumb, boneheaded pick when just about every projection told them they're reaching, but no, they knew a gem when they saw one of course. He was nowhere near competent at tackle or guard.

There's a reason why certain franchises are mired in mediocrity. It doesn't seem to matter how many picks you throw at them, they'll find a way to waste it.

4-0 in preseason! Super Bowl is nailed on!!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65001 on: August 27, 2022, 09:31:39 am »
What a colossal fuck up yet again by the Raiders  :butt

According to ESPN, Raiders are expected to trade or cut 2021 1st round pick OL Alex Leatherwood when the rosters are cut to 53 on Tuesday.

Whether this was Mayock or Gruden, another dumb, boneheaded pick when just about every projection told them they're reaching, but no, they knew a gem when they saw one of course. He was nowhere near competent at tackle or guard.

There's a reason why certain franchises are mired in mediocrity. It doesn't seem to matter how many picks you throw at them, they'll find a way to waste it.

Raiders did have a decent GM in Reggie McKenzie, but Gruden forced him out for Gruden stooge Mayock after Gruden got appointed head coach, Gruden traded the decent players the Raiders had, & picked mostly draft busts, Ruggs was a decent draft pick though.

Best thing to happen to the Raiders, is Gruden being forced out over those emails, even though the way it the emails were leaked is dodgy as fuck.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65002 on: August 27, 2022, 09:39:55 am »
As for fights, i believe they happen all the time in practice, even during the season, which is dealt with internally, it's magnified because it was a joint practice session & TV cameras were there, every year though there's a joint practice somewhere that ends in a mass brawl.
#Sausages

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65003 on: August 27, 2022, 10:12:20 am »
NFL cant suspend player for incidents in practice. Rams would have it. If you think they are going do that,  :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat :mooncat
I agree with you, was just joshing about your sentence structure (always enjoy the posts, but that one took extra decoding)

Seems an oversight though. Donald could literally be charged for assault for what he did, regardless of where/when. Surely should face guaranteed consequences for the severity of the crime, not to mention that it was another teams head he was trying to cave in not his own teams 'property'

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #65004 on: August 27, 2022, 01:33:14 pm »
Raiders did have a decent GM in Reggie McKenzie
I was a Reggie fan, and I actually think both he and Dennis Allen (who were often criticised) should be given credit for taking the franchise out of the mess Hue Jackson and Al Davis had put them in. The Carson Palmer trade really handcuffed their draft capability for some time.

However, apart from that one class, Reggie could have done better. I remember at the time he went for Hayden when there were tons of questions about his health, coming after a chest surgery, and there were plenty of alternatives to go after for such a high pick, but no, go against the grain, same with Colney.

Drafts are hit and miss of course, and it's definitely not an exact science, but would it kill them to just follow convention for once, and go for the people projected by most to go at that stage, rather than act smarter than anyone else and follow these hunches that seem to go nowhere?

Oh, and as you say, the NFL absolutely did the Raiders a massive favour with those e-mails and getting rid of the mess Mark put them in with this ridiculous 10 year contract. Another dumb move that should never have happened.

I dunno, I guess they have the new regime now and as Killie said 4-0 pre-season means the backups are somewhat competent, so maybe this is (finally) going to be a turnaround.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 01:35:15 pm by TipTopKop »

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #65005 on: August 27, 2022, 08:18:56 pm »
Still no rights for the Swedish market and I can't afford game pass on top of anything else :butt I don't know why the fuck Viasat would go for padel and boring snow sports over the NFL. It's terrible.
Linudden.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #65006 on: August 28, 2022, 12:55:14 am »
Bills have released punter Matt Araiza after he was naked in a lawsuit accusing him of a gang rape of a 17 year old high school student.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #65007 on: August 28, 2022, 12:56:07 am »
Bills have released punter Matt Araiza after he was naked in a lawsuit accusing him of a gang rape of a 17 year old high school student.

that incorrect word may not be as out of place as it appears.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65008 on: August 28, 2022, 12:56:55 am »
Freudian slip   ;D

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65009 on: August 28, 2022, 09:29:08 am »

Horrific

Is it cynical to think an NFL side wouldn't act so quickly if it was almost a player any other position than a kicker?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #65010 on: August 28, 2022, 02:47:44 pm »
Horrific

Is it cynical to think an NFL side wouldn't act so quickly if it was almost a player any other position than a kicker?

They did the correct thing. That said the Bills apparently have known about the allegations at least since late July. Arguably, they could have moved even quicker, even if they moved quite quickly after the civil lawsuit was filed. Given the expectations for them this season, there is no way they are going to want a Watson-style situation hanging over their season because of a rookie punter.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #65011 on: August 28, 2022, 02:56:51 pm »
National Felon League as ever.

So many kicking gangsta shit when they could be millionares instead. Very strange mindset.
Linudden.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65012 on: August 28, 2022, 03:01:26 pm »
They did the correct thing. That said the Bills apparently have known about the allegations at least since late July. Arguably, they could have moved even quicker, even if they moved quite quickly after the civil lawsuit was filed. Given the expectations for them this season, there is no way they are going to want a Watson-style situation hanging over their season because of a rookie punter.

Yeah  last thing NFL need right now is another Watson type of situation, that looks far more horrific than Watson situation, as bad as the Watson situation is.

I believe some teams knew of Araiza's off field issues before the draft, which why the Ravens picked Jordan Stout & the Bucks Jake Camarda both punters in round 4 instead, even though Araiza was the best of the punters in the draft, Araiza went in round 6, but was projected for a higher draft pick, now we know why

#Sausages

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65013 on: August 28, 2022, 03:13:02 pm »
So many kicking gangsta shit when they could be millionares instead. Very strange mindset.
This alleged incident was perpetrated by a college student, with two college teammates. I don't think males on campus committing sexual assaults is a problem that's limited to NFL players "kicking gangsta shit".

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #65014 on: August 29, 2022, 05:08:44 pm »
Washington running back Brian Robinson got car-jacked/robbed and shot twice in his legs, luckily in stable condition. God damn that was scary. Hopefully they find the perpetrators and lock them up for a long time.

Best wishes to the young lad with his recovery :wave
Linudden.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65015 on: August 30, 2022, 01:33:26 am »
Horrific

NFL cant act, He was not in the NFL then, irc.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65016 on: August 30, 2022, 01:33:50 am »
Washington running back Brian Robinson got car-jacked/robbed and shot twice in his legs, luckily in stable condition. God damn that was scary. Hopefully they find the perpetrators and lock them up for a long time.

Best wishes to the young lad with his recovery :wave
Terrible, Hoping for a speedy recovery

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #65017 on: August 30, 2022, 07:01:50 am »
Jimmy G agrees a deal to stay in SF.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65018 on: August 30, 2022, 08:36:53 am »
Jimmy G agrees a deal to stay in SF.

Very odd. He`s practicing on his own, not taking reps and apparently not really interacting with his team-mates.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #65019 on: August 30, 2022, 08:51:37 am »
Very odd. He`s practicing on his own, not taking reps and apparently not really interacting with his team-mates.

until yesterday, yeah. doubt that's the case now.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65020 on: August 30, 2022, 08:55:06 am »
Waller is about to get paid. Deserves it too, great fun player. Changed his agent last week, now its already agreed. Am sure there's some weird leverage there.

Hasn't even been given the ipad with the playbook yet either!
NFL cant act, He was not in the NFL then, irc.
Was talking about the Bills, not NFL

« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 08:56:49 am by Classycara »

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65021 on: August 30, 2022, 09:10:08 am »
Was talking about the Bills, not NFL
Bills should not have the cut the other punter since they knew before that. I understand why they waited but cutting your other punter before 53 man deadline is not a good look when you have the info. I think a story might have broke(before the court docs where ready to be out) before that if they cut him without it coming out but they could handled it another way(like missing for personal reasons).
Bills did the right in the end with a bad process of getting there

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #65022 on: August 31, 2022, 01:41:51 pm »
Here we go, my annual NFL predictions!

AFC East
Bills 13-4
Pats 9-8
Dolphins 8-9
Jets 2-15

AFC West
Chiefs 14-3
Broncos 11-6
Raiders 10-7
Chargers 8-9

AFC North
Ravens 13-4
Bengals 9-8
Steelers 8-9
Browns 7-10

AFC South
Titans 10-7
Colts 9-8
Jaguars 4-13
Texans 4-13

NFC East
Cowboys 10-7
Eagles 8-9
Giants 6-11
Commanders 5-12

NFC West
Rams 16-1
49ers 12-5
Cardinals 5-12
Seahawks 5-12

NFC North
Vikings 13-4
Packers 11-6
Bears 6-11
Lions 5-12

NFC South
Buccs 13-4
Saints 8-9
Panthers 5-12
Falcons 5-12

Wild card:-

AFC

Broncos at titans - winners Broncos
Raiders at Bills - winners Bills
Patriots at Ravens - winners Ravens

NFC

49ers at Cowboys - winners Cowboys
Packers at Vikings - winners Vikings
Eagles at Buccs - winners Bucs

Divisional Round:-

AFC

Bills at Ravens - winners Ravens
Broncos at Chiefs - winners Chiefs

NFC

Vikings at Buccs - winners Buccs
Cowboys at Rams - winners Rams

Conference:-

AFC

Ravens at Chiefs - winners Chiefs

NFC

Buccs at Rams - winners Rams

Super Bowl

Chiefs vs Rams - winners Rams

Yes I think Rams are repeating.

Vikings out of the NFC are my dark horse to go deep in the play offs but with Cousins they can only go so far. 49ers have an extremely well rounded team but I just don't rate Tray Lance that highly and I think for once in a long time the Cowboys who'll win the LEast by default could actually win one play-off game, because of that.

You also may think I am over valuing the Ravens and perhaps I am but during the regular season last year before they had a lot of injuries, their regular season record was extremely impressive and at home are always very hard to beat and I think they still have well rounded team.

I'm a Pats fan as you all know but I think I am probably over rating them at 9-8! I think they could easily be a 7-10 team but it depends on a few key games against the Dolphins and a couple other games in which we need wins. But in any case like last year even if we make the play-offs I expect us to be 1 and done.

With the Broncos it just depends on how fast they click with Wilson as their roster is stacked so if Wilson clicks the Broncos will be a serious threat.

AFC is stacked so Bengals unfortunately just miss out for me but again depends on one or two games.

So there we go - let's see how I get on  ;D

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65023 on: August 31, 2022, 01:44:47 pm »
Broncos will be last in the West.

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #65024 on: August 31, 2022, 02:15:30 pm »
Chargers 8-9? I fancy them to give the Chiefs a run for their money in the AFC West. Through gritted teeth, I think the Dolphins might post a winning season.

Agree with the Rams to win it all.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #65025 on: August 31, 2022, 02:28:45 pm »
Chargers have been rated as challengers coming in to the last few seasons and have flopped every time. But maybe this time will be different? Or have they got all the experts fooled again? :D

Patriots have a rubbish roster, if it wasn't for Billy Boy they would be one of the worst teams in the AFC. Think they will probably just miss the playoffs.

Russell Wilson has been posting winning records with a terrible Seahawks team for years, I think they will win at least 9, but maybe not enough for a playoff spot. I have the AFC West as Kansas City-LA Chargers-Denver-Las Vegas, with Josh McDaniels imploding again. A good coordinator makes not always a good head coach...
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #65026 on: August 31, 2022, 02:32:09 pm »
the chargers were a good team last year but just abysmal vs the run. if they've sorted that out they should improve

but they are the chargers.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65027 on: August 31, 2022, 07:02:03 pm »
the chargers were a good team last year but just abysmal vs the run. if they've sorted that out they should improve

but they are the chargers.

Well the 2021 Chargers could hardy have done worse than the 2020 Chargers, the 2020 Chargers who somehow contrived to find new ways of losing as many games as they did possible. ;D
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #65028 on: August 31, 2022, 07:26:33 pm »
Well the 2021 Chargers could hardy have done worse than the 2020 Chargers, the 2020 Chargers who somehow contrived to find new ways of losing as many games as they did possible. ;D

I reckon the chargers could point to quite a few years like that

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65029 on: August 31, 2022, 10:55:52 pm »
Have any roster cuts raised eyebrows? or were all of them fairly understandable?

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65030 on: August 31, 2022, 11:10:53 pm »
Have any roster cuts raised eyebrows? or were all of them fairly understandable?

Leatherwood.  :-X  But no, I'm sure you weren't too surprised by that one, but that's still disappointing how it panned out for him and the Raiders.

The Jets cut a few DBs (including safeties) that were claimed right away, so given the poor safety play last year, that was interesting.  Hope the staff made the right decisions.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1565017132743634945

Either we continue to get better at identifying and compiling talent, or we're cutting all the wrong guys. ;D

Now, to actually win something on the field.   :P

Also notable for fantasy football at least that the Texans cut Marlon Mack and will go with Dameon Pierce (rookie 4th rounder) as the starter in all likelihood.

The Vikings giving up so early on Kellen Mond (who was a 3rd round QB last year that Chris Simms loved) was maybe surprising?
King Kenny.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #65031 on: August 31, 2022, 11:13:57 pm »

all the ones I've seen so far that could be considered a surprise aren't when you look at them a little harder. being ditched by new coaching staff etc.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65032 on: August 31, 2022, 11:30:58 pm »
Leatherwood.  :-X  But no, I'm sure you weren't too surprised by that one, but that's still disappointing how it panned out for him and the Raiders.
Yeah I guess the Bears have since picked him up and his remaining salary, maybe they can unlock something there, but local Vegas blogs/media say the new regime gave him every chance in pre-season to succeed and apparently if anything, he regressed.

As I said though previously, this is totally on Mayock/Gruden doing Raider things and reaching, the lad wasn't ever projected to be that high up, in some ways maybe too much expectation was placed on him.

Hope it works out for him, but honestly from what I saw, it looks like some task to get his college form into the NFL.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65033 on: August 31, 2022, 11:41:33 pm »
The Vikings giving up so early on Kellen Mond (who was a 3rd round QB last year that Chris Simms loved) was maybe surprising?
Yeah I havent followed long enough, but that seems quite quick for a QB.

Trey Sermon has been too, which would have been odd last summer, but has had the opposite of the midas touch ever since so maybe not so surprising now

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65034 on: August 31, 2022, 11:45:31 pm »
ESPN:
Aaron Donald downplayed swinging a helmet at Cincinnati Bengals players in a brawl at a joint practice between last season's Super Bowl teams this past Thursday.

"It was just a practice. It was football"
Ah, that makes it alright then.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #65035 on: September 1, 2022, 11:20:46 am »
We might have one spot open in our long running dynasty league open....draft is tomorrow if anyone interested give me a shout.

Just checked, apparently this is our 16th season!!

any interest let me know, draft 8pm tonight!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65036 on: September 1, 2022, 02:17:11 pm »
Russell Wilson signs a new extended 5 year contract for, $245 million with $165 guaranteed
#Sausages

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #65037 on: September 1, 2022, 02:38:17 pm »
Russell Wilson signs a new extended 5 year contract for, $245 million with $165 guaranteed
He's 33 now. They have him under contract for 7 years in total. Boy those contracts from 2026 onwards are going to be a lot of fun for them.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65038 on: September 1, 2022, 02:54:48 pm »
He's 33 now. They have him under contract for 7 years in total. Boy those contracts from 2026 onwards are going to be a lot of fun for them.

Here's a former NFL executive explaining how they do the contracts & stay in the cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqb1bTSIfHs
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #65039 on: September 1, 2022, 02:54:59 pm »

They can cut him as soon as the guaranteed years are done.