Author Topic: 90s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion  (Read 18663 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 90s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2022, 08:42:36 pm »
I think you have to say what category you choose from when selecting.

Yeah that's fair enough but if I think a film is a particular genre and others disagree, what's the upshot?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2022, 08:47:16 pm »
Before we start, I wanted to quibble the animation/documentary section. Of all the ones covered, those make the least sense together. I'd suggest going with animation/family as twin genres, as that allows some classics that probably won't get in elsewhere. Not sure where that leaves documentary as a category though.

I would say there's quite an overlap between adventure/fantasy and animation as well, they could conceivably all be one. And then have documentaries on it's own, although I can't think of a 90's single documentary I've watched.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2022, 08:56:29 pm »
I would say there's quite an overlap between adventure/fantasy and animation as well, they could conceivably all be one. And then have documentaries on it's own, although I can't think of a 90's single documentary I've watched.

Yeah, that's possibly true. I'm a huge fantasy and adventure fan though, so selfishly I'd rather that one stay focused. I'm not sure how the voting is supposed to go, but as we're picking in categories it would seem that we'd be judging each pick against each other. Which is why putting Animation and Documentary together could be quite confusing.

Like you, I also can't think of any classic 90s documentaries. Maybe some music ones?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2022, 09:15:07 pm »
Before we start, I wanted to quibble the animation/documentary section. Of all the ones covered, those make the least sense together. I'd suggest going with animation/family as twin genres, as that allows some classics that probably won't get in elsewhere. Not sure where that leaves documentary as a category though.
Yep, good call. I put those two together cause they were the biggest genres left and I wanted to stick to 7 films. Haz raises two good points, there's an overlap with the adventure/fantasy category and there aren't a lot of well-known 90s docs. Thinking of moving animation to the adventure/fantasy category and scrapping documentaries altogether, and replace with a wildcard pick. Is this cool with everyone?

Just thinking about this, some of the films chosen will overlap into different categories, which can be quite subjective. What the thinking on this?
Good point. To be fair to everyone, let's say that the genre you choose for your movie, must be present on its letterbox category section. For example, The Godfather: https://letterboxd.com/film/the-godfather/genres/
You have two genres to choose from, drama and crime. But you can't put it on thriller as it's not one of the genres covered. Is this fair?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:49:52 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2022, 09:43:48 pm »
That sounds good to me mate. Sorry, didn't want to be a stickler, whatever you decide is fine with me :)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2022, 09:49:06 pm »
That sounds good to me mate. Sorry, didn't want to be a stickler, whatever you decide is fine with me :)
Not at all mate, it was a really fair point that I'm glad you raised, as it saved me from a potential headache later on.  ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2022, 09:51:34 pm »
Yep, good call. I put both of them together cause they were the biggest genres left and I wanted to stick to 7 films. Haz raises two good points, there's an overlap with the adventure/fantasy category and there aren't a lot of well-known 90s docs. Thinking of moving animation to the adventure/fantasy category and scrapping documentaries altogether, and replace with a wildcard pick. Is this cool with everyone?

I am against, because IMO it will pollute both categories if you throw them together. Family is a much better fit if you want to beef that category up as it then allows (cheesy) 90s classics like Home Alone, Space Jam, Mrs Doubtfire, Hook etc to find a place, whereas they're unlikely to be picked in other stronger categories.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2022, 09:55:03 pm »
So, the picking order has arrived:

List Randomizer

There were 14 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Tubby
    Sudden Death Draft Loser
    Betty Blue
    vivabobbygraham
    red mongoose
    Sheer Magnetism
    Hazell
    Lastrador
    Samie
    Chakan
    El Lobo
    Max
    NICHOLLS1986
    dis_1

IP: 2800:a4:2288:2a00:e8d0:4a6d:99a7:741a
Timestamp: 2022-07-24 20:43:56 UTC

We'll start tomorrow at 09:00 am UK time. I won't be around till 1 pm approximately (Uruguayan time zone), so I'll address any problems or doubts after that. Good picking.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2022, 10:05:45 pm »
I am against, because IMO it will pollute both categories if you throw them together. Family is a much better fit if you want to beef that category up as it then allows (cheesy) 90s classics like Home Alone, Space Jam, Mrs Doubtfire, Hook etc to find a place, whereas they're unlikely to be picked in other stronger categories.
Yep, that's fair enough. Think family is so broad of a genre that could easily overlap with the adventure/fantasy category, but it's true that it allows for some fun cheesy picks, so I'll go with that.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2022, 10:17:14 pm »
There is gonna be a lot of overlap in categories. I say be generous and let drafters state what category the film they are picking is in. For example, a lot of sci-fi films also are adventure films, rom-coms are a thing and there is a fine line between thriller and horror sometimes.

Las can be the final adjudicator for really cheesy picks.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2022, 10:18:56 pm »
As an aside, I've only just spotted this has gone up and would have been on it like vom if I'd seen it sooner.
God bless this draft and God bless all who sail in her

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2022, 10:31:58 pm »
As an aside, I've only just spotted this has gone up and would have been on it like vom if I'd seen it sooner.

Pretty sure you're still good to join, mate. Las can just slot you at the end of the order  :)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2022, 10:32:25 pm »
Family is so vague it could mean practically anything from Forrest Gump to Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Reckon it's fine as it is, especially since there's a lot of non-family animation.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2022, 10:37:57 pm »
Family is so vague it could mean practically anything from Forrest Gump to Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Reckon it's fine as it is, especially since there's a lot of non-family animation.

If we're using Letterboxd for genres then family is a bit stricter on there. Neither of the ones you mention would make the cut.

I get your point though. It's definitely on shakier ground. Problem with leaving Animation as a sole category is that it's quite unbalanced IMO. There are about 4-5 hugely popular standouts and the rest are more niche/cult films.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2022, 10:44:43 pm »
There is gonna be a lot of overlap in categories. I say be generous and let drafters state what category the film they are picking is in. For example, a lot of sci-fi films also are adventure films, rom-coms are a thing and there is a fine line between thriller and horror sometimes.

Las can be the final adjudicator for really cheesy picks.
Yeah, maybe I worded it wrong but that was always the idea. Everyone picks a movie and the genre into which it falls. Unless it's something pretty egregious, I'll let letterboxd be the judge of that. If it's placed under that genre on the movie's letterboxd page, I'll let it stand.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2022, 10:47:23 pm »
No problem mate, you're welcome to join in. I'll slot you at the end.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2022, 10:48:47 pm »
So I've added a new wildcard category. It was beginning to feel a bit thin with only 7, and I'm sure most of you won't mind an extra round of fun.  :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:51:31 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2022, 10:52:07 pm »

We've not started mate. Hop on the train.  ;D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2022, 04:30:14 am »
Thanks for organising Las. This is fun. One question, can you swap genres of films as the draft unfolds or are you stuck with your first choice once made? Eg, a film has 4 genres, comedy, romance, drama, crime. Can one provisionally draft in to comedy cat but then change to romance later on?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2022, 05:11:08 am »
Thanks for organising Las. This is fun. One question, can you swap genres of films as the draft unfolds or are you stuck with your first choice once made? Eg, a film has 4 genres, comedy, romance, drama, crime. Can one provisionally draft in to comedy cat but then change to romance later on?
Cheers mate, let's hope it is.

I say once you choose a category for a movie, it's definitive. I think it would be too chaotic and hard to keep track if everyone starts changing their categories as the draft goes along.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2022, 09:08:42 am »
Cheers mate, let's hope it is.

I say once you choose a category for a movie, it's definitive. I think it would be too chaotic and hard to keep track if everyone starts changing their categories as the draft goes along.

Seems fair

One question, where are we getting the budget from (just for our blockbuster and indie movies)? They dont seem to have them in letterboxd, so wikipedia?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2022, 09:46:59 am »
Where's Nick? Doesn't he partake in every draft.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2022, 10:55:19 am »
Am I too late to join? This is my kind of draft.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2022, 11:19:30 am »
Picking shortly. Just doing a little write up. I think it will be nice if people can add their reflections on their favourite films. Even for the most obvious ones. It's nice to get an insight into what makes you love them.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2022, 12:07:09 pm »
I must say....I wasn't expecting Lock Stock in the first two picks :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2022, 01:37:39 pm »
Seems fair

One question, where are we getting the budget from (just for our blockbuster and indie movies)? They dont seem to have them in letterboxd, so wikipedia?
Yeah, we’re using Wiki for the budget.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2022, 01:41:27 pm »
Am I too late to join? This is my kind of draft.
Not at all, I’ll slot you at the end.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2022, 01:46:25 pm »
My pick is in. Just to let you guys know, I am about six hours behind UK time. Also to let you all know, I forgot there was a separate thread for selections, so I sat here for about 45 minutes staring at this thread and waiting for the picks to start before I snapped out of it.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2022, 01:47:47 pm »
Seems fair

Box Office Mojo me old mucker.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2022, 01:53:17 pm »
Picking shortly. Just doing a little write up. I think it will be nice if people can add their reflections on their favourite films. Even for the most obvious ones. It's nice to get an insight into what makes you love them.
I agree mate, some really nice write ups from you and the Mongoose. These kind of drafts are more of an excuse to share your favourites things, so it’s nice to read why that is.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2022, 01:54:31 pm »
I agree mate, some really nice write ups from you and the Mongoose. These kind of drafts are more of an excuse to share your favourites things, so it’s nice to read why that is.

Agreed. Just added mine as I was out and about.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2022, 01:54:34 pm »
I know we're picking our favourites but all the picks have been quality films. :wave

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2022, 01:55:31 pm »
My pick is in. Just to let you guys know, I am about six hours behind UK time. Also to let you all know, I forgot there was a separate thread for selections, so I sat here for about 45 minutes staring at this thread and waiting for the picks to start before I snapped out of it.
Haha, the time difference is really rough, but it was worth it though. Miller’s Crossing is such a great movie.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2022, 01:56:12 pm »
I'm also in the states so about 6/7 hours behind. So there's that.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2022, 01:57:08 pm »
Pulp Fiction - still Tarantino's finest work IMO. Pulp and Shawshank are probably the Maradona and Pele of the decade.
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - I view this as Guy Ritchie's quintessential film. Influenced by the man above and classic British crime movies from the 60s and 70s.
The Matrix - like Betty said, one of the most inspirational/influential films of all time. One of the greatest cinematic experiences ever. I must have rewatched this film over a hundred times.
Shawshank Redemption - still one of my all-time favourites many years later, every man and woman should watch this film. Just grand storyteling by Darabont. A film that seems to touch people of every walk of life and age.
Miller's Crossing - I forgot this was a 90's movie! Throughout their career the Coen brothers seem to either make a film that just misses the mark or they produce an absolute masterpiece/cult classic. Miller's Crossing is the latter.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2022, 01:58:53 pm »
Agreed. Just added mine as I was out and about.
Lovely stuff Bobby.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2022, 01:59:52 pm »
I propose we do 80's and 70's draft after this.  :wave ;D

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2022, 02:05:44 pm »
This thread made me look at some of the movies in my collection of DVD's and Blu Rays. I honestly wouldn't know where to start only picking a handful of movies from that decade!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2022, 02:11:13 pm »
You want to play mate? I'm sure Las can fit you in.  ;D

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:26 pm »
I would love to, but never done it before and don't actually know how it works to be honest!