Author Topic: Elden Ring  (Read 19869 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Elden Ring
« on: February 22, 2022, 07:43:08 pm »
As there are still many people still getting acquainted with the original and legendary Dark Souls series, I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread so the original Dark Souls thread doesn't get too convoluted.  There is so much useful info for new and old DS players on there, it would be a shame for it to get lost amidst the inevitable tide of ER chat..

To be fair this isn't a DS game but it still feels like we are getting the next instalment.

Exciting times!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qqiC88f9ogU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qqiC88f9ogU</a>

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Elden Ring - Released 25/2/22 (Please use Spoiler tags!)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 09:49:38 am »
Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off work ;D

Midnight tomorrow for consoles, 11PM for PC. (GMT)
https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1495775365473738758
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 09:51:40 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 09:59:05 am »
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.  I'm halfway through a DS run and REALLY don't want it interrupting

But I do also want to play ER immediately and have the craic on here and in game chat etc.

Decisions Decisions.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 10:07:36 am »
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.  I'm halfway through a DS run and REALLY don't want it interrupting

But I do also want to play ER immediately and have the craic on here and in game chat etc.

Decisions Decisions.

I hope this can help.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bzJDimvPW1Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bzJDimvPW1Y</a>

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 11:12:43 am »
I hope this can help.

haha brilliant.

Love the Stray Demon popping his head up. And the crow dancing at the end :)

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 03:32:23 pm »
Perfect scores across the board:
https://opencritic.com/game/12090/elden-ring

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 03:34:11 pm »
Perfect scores across the board:
https://opencritic.com/game/12090/elden-ring

Beautiful. It would be a sad day in gaming if one of the big boys acquires FromSoftware.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 03:34:36 pm »
Are actual reviews out yet?

Yes, yes they are.
On to read a few from sites I like.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 03:36:18 pm »
Wow I've just had a look myself and see nothing but high scores.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 04:17:42 pm »
put it in meeee

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 05:00:49 pm »
Yeah I don't normally buy before I've had a chance to watch someone else play but I've folded and bought it based on the obscene reviews. I really enjoyed what I played of Bloodborne but I haven't really bothered with consoles for a while so never ended up finishing it and haven't tried any of the other games. Elden Ring sounds more intriguing than previous titles to me so looking forward to it!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 05:10:51 pm »
Just praying the PC performance concerns aren't overblown. I've got a 3600/3070 anyway so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 05:48:42 pm »
I trust pushsquare.com
They haven't even committed a full score yet. Too soon. That's trustworthiness

https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps5/elden-ring
Elden Ring feels like the definitive FromSoftware game. With a refined combat system packing new ideas and an open world perfect for exploration, it sets a new benchmark for titles of this ilk to strive for. While its technical faults and underwhelming side content may be sources of disappointment, what the core experience offers is spectacular. It won't suddenly convert those turned off by previous entries into fans, but FromSoftware lovers should probably consider Elden Ring an essential playthrough. We just need a bit more time to confirm those thoughts.

What I don't like in that review
- load screens. Seriously?
- texture pop in
- not always 60fps

However, where the game falls short is in its visuals and performance. There's no getting around it: Elden Ring doesn't look as good as PlayStation 5 launch title Demon's Souls. Bluepoint Games did an outstanding job remaking the 2009 classic for the modern era. In comparison, Elden Ring looks... fine? There's a clear drop in overall visual quality, but the art direction of FromSoftware shines through with some jaw-dropping scenes and environments.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 06:06:31 pm »
I trust pushsquare.com
They haven't even committed a full score yet. Too soon. That's trustworthiness

https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps5/elden-ring
What I don't like in that review
- load screens. Seriously?
- texture pop in
- not always 60fps

The review copy is quite old at this point, they have a day one patch coming.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 09:57:39 pm »
Got mine pre-loading too on Steam, and awaiting my Collectors Edition for Friday ;D Like a pig in shit

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 03:16:41 am »
After 111 reviews its the second highest ever reviewed game on OpenCritic which has been running since 2013.

Obviously doesn't matter for shit but I'm happy for FromSoftware, a true darling of the industry.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2022, 06:18:57 am »
Think I’m going to finish Danganronpa first since I’m enjoying it, and get to this later.

But the flesh is weak…

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2022, 07:44:25 am »
So....erm...whats this all about?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2022, 07:49:38 am »
After 111 reviews its the second highest ever reviewed game on OpenCritic which has been running since 2013.

Obviously doesn't matter for shit but I'm happy for FromSoftware, a true darling of the industry.

Super Mario Odyssey higher than BoTW?! I loved both but BoTW might possibly be the GOAT.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2022, 08:54:02 am »
It looks very interesting.

If you really dislike Souls games though, is there much point?

That's not me being flippant, I don't 'get' Souls games but love a good fantasy RPG.

I should avoid or it's going to be different enough to invite in more casual (read:crap) players? I should stress that the difficulty isn't the reason I haven't enjoyed Souls games, which I've made about 5 attempts to get into. I find them clunky, crap looking and esoteric for the sake of it. I know that's not an opinion shared by many. Also, they probably are too hard for me now I'm an old man.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2022, 08:58:13 am »

That's not me being flippant, I don't 'get' Souls games but love a good fantasy RPG.

I should avoid or it's going to be different enough to invite in more casual (read:crap) players? I should stress that the difficulty isn't the reason I haven't enjoyed Souls games, which I've made about 5 attempts to get into. I find them clunky, crap looking and esoteric for the sake of it. I know that's not an opinion shared by many. Also, they probably are too hard for me now I'm an old man.

By all accounts its more inviting for newcomers. Have you ever played Bloodborne or Sekiro?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2022, 09:01:40 am »
By all accounts its more inviting for newcomers. Have you ever played Bloodborne or Sekiro?
Sekiro I did like to be fair, but not owning a Playstation I had a go for an hour or so on a mate's console. Never played Bloodborne but purchased multiple titles out of the souls' mainline games and can't get on with them.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2022, 09:05:09 am »
Sekiro I did like to be fair, but not owning a Playstation I had a go for an hour or so on a mate's console. Never played Bloodborne but purchased multiple titles out of the souls' mainline games and can't get on with them.

Yeah I mentioned those two because they are obviously separate to the Souls series but maintain the same gameplay with slight tweaks and improvements (I think).

Have you ever played Zelda BoTW? This looks and sounds like an adult version of it.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2022, 09:08:07 am »
Yeah I mentioned those two because they are obviously separate to the Souls series but maintain the same gameplay with slight tweaks and improvements (I think).

Have you ever played Zelda BoTW? This looks and sounds like an adult version of it.
Never played Breath of the Wild. Watched plenty of videos on it and watched my partner's little brother playing for hours when I was babysitting, but you know, I can tell it's incredible but I have no compulsion or interest in playing it.

As I've got older, my niche of games I enjoy has shrunk and shrunk. I used to play anything, now it's diminishing fast.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 09:12:42 am »
Never played Breath of the Wild. Watched plenty of videos on it and watched my partner's little brother playing for hours when I was babysitting, but you know, I can tell it's incredible but I have no compulsion or interest in playing it.

As I've got older, my niche of games I enjoy has shrunk and shrunk. I used to play anything, now it's diminishing fast.

Ah mate, I sunk over 100 hours into BoTW just recently and have finished everything on it. What a joy it was, I'm hoping Elden Ring is another time sink for me to get immersed into another world.

As I've got older I've gravitated towards the more single player experiences, I do play the odd game of FIFA online but other than that its mainly been the likes of Ghost of Tsushima, BoTW, The Last of Us and the FromSoftware games.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2022, 11:27:08 am »
My collector's edition with the Malenia statue is coming this afternoon :o

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2022, 01:29:00 pm »

I like you... ;)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2022, 10:43:59 pm »

I probably wouldn’t bother, at least not initially, buy a game you’d like. Problem solved.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2022, 02:16:43 am »
Stuttering seems to be fairly prevalent on the PC version, think I'll wait for a patch first.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2022, 03:43:14 am »
Watched it streamed today, won’t be buying it. Just not that interested to be honest.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2022, 09:49:21 am »
Can you finish the game without using the horse?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2022, 11:28:20 am »
Watched it streamed today, won’t be buying it. Just not that interested to be honest.

Seems to be very overhyped. Watched a stream as well and look pretty dull to me maybe more, looks like a console game
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:12:07 pm by [new username under construction] »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2022, 01:45:56 pm »
Early reviews are putting it up there with the likes of BotW, RDR2 and so on, basically the game of the generation.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2022, 01:47:20 pm »
Stuttering seems to be fairly prevalent on the PC version, think I'll wait for a patch first.

I'm running an i7 7700k, 32GB ram and a GTX 1080 and there are definitely stutters when roaming around, sometimes a few minutes between them sometimes every 20 seconds.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2022, 02:02:14 pm »
Early reviews are putting it up there with the likes of BotW, RDR2 and so on, basically the game of the generation.

Eh I dunno, it's very open world definitely, but from what I watched on stream it's just not for me.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2022, 02:21:13 pm »
Got my copy coming today, wasn’t sure on it at first, I like the souls games but don’t love them.

As a side note, think i’m the only person on the planet who thinks BotW is massively overhyped. Bought it, played it for a few days and then sold it. Bored me shitless.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2022, 02:49:08 pm »
Im on the fence, loved Dark Souls 3 (finished it) appreciate Sekiro but I’ve struggled, it’s a slog, Im mid-40s and I don’t think I have the reactions.  Its me not the game.  I might wait until people have gone through it and how difficult it it becomes apparent.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2022, 04:43:31 pm »
I'm running an i7 7700k, 32GB ram and a GTX 1080 and there are definitely stutters when roaming around, sometimes a few minutes between them sometimes every 20 seconds.
Oof that sounds terrible. Modders are having a look as well so hopefully, a fix comes out soon.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2022, 05:04:33 pm »
Oof that sounds terrible. Modders are having a look as well so hopefully, a fix comes out soon.

It's actually not that bad, it's not like the game is seizing up, the framerate just drops a fair bit for a fraction of a second and because physics are tied to framerate the game just slows down briefly. It hasn't impaired me in any fights yet.

I take it destructible barrels and boxes just never have anything in them?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2022, 05:22:58 pm »
Beaten the first two main bosses today, we'll call them M and G. Then due to a sidequest I got teleported waaay out to the East and everything there needed 10 hits to kill, waaay under levelled, at least there's fast travel back!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 07:09:30 am by OsirisMVZ »