Author Topic: London advice  (Read 10019 times)

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
Re: London advice
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2021, 05:10:48 pm »
Weather is good, do the Bermondsey beer mile

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2021, 05:17:11 pm »
Take your pick

https://city-guide.london/events/?whats-on=tomorrow

Harry Potter is being shown at the Albert
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:18:44 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2021, 05:30:34 pm »
Chose to not be single then? ;D

Hahaha! It has all worked out well to be honest, the reason I was going with the lads was that one of them was booked in to get his teeth done down there and they cancelled the day before! Ended up getting our money back and just booked to go with her tomorrow instead to celebrate our 10 years  ;D

Hahahaha already taken her up there a few times Nick  ;D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2021, 05:41:43 pm »
If youre in Piccadilly (which end?) you can do loads within walking distance. Walk down through Piccadilly Circus, past Trafalgar Square down to Hungerford bridge - fantastic views of the Thames at night and plenty of restaurants on the Southbank - If you like Mexican try to get a table at Wahaca Southbank. Food is great, nice and relaxed and views over the thames. Or grab a drink and walk back over Waterloo Bridge and up into Covent Garden and theatre land. Loads of good restaurants - avoid the big chain restaurants. What sort of food do you like?

If you have time go to Tate Modern. Never mind the art (although they have amazing stuff) there's a bar and restaurant at the top and great views from the new extension. You can walk over the Millennium Bridge to St Pauls.

Stay away from Leicester Square itself but if you like Chinese food there are some great places in Chinatown (obviously).
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2021, 05:45:45 pm »
I don't think that I've ever been to London and not gone to Chinatown.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2021, 05:56:21 pm »
If you want a really eccentric dining experience go to Wong Kei's in Chinatown ;D

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2021, 08:51:45 pm »
Best pub in soho is the French house. That’s all I have to add.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2021, 12:21:23 am »
If you want a really eccentric dining experience go to Wong Kei's in Chinatown ;D

I went there when I first worked in London. Nearly had a fight with about 5 waiters and a chef with a machete until the work bods explained that it was all just a bit of a joke.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2021, 09:34:31 am »

love it  :lickin

Best pub in soho is the French house. That’s all I have to add.

Shout, Tom Baker's local

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: London
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2021, 10:10:00 am »
Thinks have changed and I’m going down for the night tomorrow with my girlfriend instead haha! Any recommendations for things to do with her and also any decent bars to watch the fight in? We are staying by Piccadilly.

Official London Supporters Club will be getting together for the Brentford game here: https://www.sportsbarandgrill.co.uk/marylebone

I'd imagine they'll be showing the fight afterwards too.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2021, 11:48:43 am »
love it  :lickin

Shout, Tom Baker's local

Used to work opposite the F house, Spent many a sunny long-lunchtime stood outside drinking Breton cider. It’s mad thinking back, we could be seen from the office but no one cared it was part of the job (advertising). They’d just come join us.

Loads of good ones round there, Coach and Horses, Blue posts, Star and Garter, John Snow, Shaston. Haven’t really been for 5 years now though so they could all be flats.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 11:51:28 am by meady1981 »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2021, 03:13:05 pm »
Looking for restaurant recommendations from anyone who knows the capital well.

We're staying in Enfield ahead of going to Spurs stadium for the NFL on the Sunday. Want somewhere really good for food on the Saturday night that isn't going to be a headache to get back to the hotel from, and is perhaps a cuisine you're unlikely to run into up here in the North West.

I'm thinking East/West African, maybe Caribbean, open to suggestions though, I want something as authentic as possible. Happy to take the tube or taxi, just don't want to feel massively stranded. We'll be spending most of the day around the Tate Modern and Portrait Gallery, if that makes any bones.

Don't mind paying a decent amount but don't want to be out hundreds for one meal.

If anyone has recommendations or input, it would be appreciated.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2021, 03:25:23 pm »
So I went, got twatted from 11am onwards, remember much of our match but none of the fight as I was too busy chatting wham at this point. Got in at 4:30am, woke up at 7am and went out at 9am to go shopping without realising nowhere opens until 12am. Found out our 17:05 train had been cancelled at 3pm, went to Euston and had to pile on the early train with a load of others fighting for a seat.

After going to London for 2 nights last month, I think I'm done with this city for a good while.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2021, 03:34:50 pm »
Looking for restaurant recommendations from anyone who knows the capital well.

We're staying in Enfield ahead of going to Spurs stadium for the NFL on the Sunday. Want somewhere really good for food on the Saturday night that isn't going to be a headache to get back to the hotel from, and is perhaps a cuisine you're unlikely to run into up here in the North West.

I'm thinking East/West African, maybe Caribbean, open to suggestions though, I want something as authentic as possible. Happy to take the tube or taxi, just don't want to feel massively stranded. We'll be spending most of the day around the Tate Modern and Portrait Gallery, if that makes any bones.

Don't mind paying a decent amount but don't want to be out hundreds for one meal.

If anyone has recommendations or input, it would be appreciated.

I've been to two,the first being Antillean on Blackfriars Rd (had an amazing meal and drinks) & the 2nd was The Rum Kitchen,had a great night apparently but drank so much that I can't remember much let alone what I ate,we went to the one in Brixton but there's 2 others in Soho and Shoreditch .

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2021, 03:39:08 pm »
Aye, the French House is a wonderful pub. Full of eccentrics, bohemians and west end luvies. You don't have to go to a show, just rock up, get a beer and watch the entertainment all around you.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2021, 03:57:46 pm »

Yep, it’s different all right
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2021, 05:42:13 pm »
Guys.  Got a flight out of Luton early on Sunday so stopping down South after the Watford game

Booked a cheapo Premier Inn in Edgware. 

Don't want to venture right into the City on Saturday night so need a decent restaurant recommendation for me and the missus around NW London please.  Not fussed on type of cuisine as I eat just about anything :)

cheers

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2021, 07:17:39 pm »
At first I thought you meant Egdrware road, and I had a list as long as your arm. Now I’ve realised you mean actual Edgware and I’ve had to google if that’s actually in London. So I’m out. But I wish you luck.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2021, 08:29:12 pm »
Guys.  Got a flight out of Luton early on Sunday so stopping down South after the Watford game

Booked a cheapo Premier Inn in Edgware. 

Don't want to venture right into the City on Saturday night so need a decent restaurant recommendation for me and the missus around NW London please.  Not fussed on type of cuisine as I eat just about anything :)

cheers

Domingo’s in Little Oakley.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2021, 09:55:42 am »
At first I thought you meant Egdrware road, and I had a list as long as your arm. Now I’ve realised you mean actual Edgware and I’ve had to google if that’s actually in London. So I’m out. But I wish you luck.

Yeah its pretty much Middlesex to be fair mate.  I can always jump on the Northern line and head into London

Domingo’s in Little Oakley.

:)

I could head down to Acton but I'm not going there for numerous reasons :)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2021, 10:52:14 am »
We've booked Yuu's kitchen in Spitalfields for our Saturday evening lunch. My Girlfriend was craving Japanese cuisine and I'm intrigued by some of the Taiwanese dishes on the menu, looking forward to it.

Got a packed Saturday. British Science Museum, National Gallery and Tate Modern all on the Saturday, before the NFL on the Sunday. Fair to say it won't be a relaxing weekend.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2021, 11:01:37 am »
My folks are moving back to London, they've had enough of the USA after 11 years, they bought a house Chiswick but not moving in till early December.

Guess i'll be frequenting this thread before i'm down there a few times a year.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2021, 11:41:36 am »
My folks are moving back to London, they've had enough of the USA after 11 years, they bought a house Chiswick but not moving in till early December.

Very posh. They’ll be mates with Ant and Dec before you know it!

DS - plenty of nice little boozers around Spitalfields too and you’re also very close to Brick Lane and Shoreditxh depending on what you’re looking for before/after.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2021, 11:56:32 am »
Very posh. They’ll be mates with Ant and Dec before you know it!

DS - plenty of nice little boozers around Spitalfields too and you’re also very close to Brick Lane and Shoreditxh depending on what you’re looking for before/after.
Cheers mate, we've a tour that finishes about an hour before our table, so will want to pop into somewhere for one before our 21:00 table. We've got to get back up to Enfield for our Hotel before trains stop running that way so possibly won't have time for a few drinks after the meal.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2021, 11:27:49 pm »

It’s generally a very nice part of town, decent high st, plenty of the usual chains in terms of restaurants and some decent local pubs, and Richmond is just over the river which is just as nice and has some nice river side bars and pubs (I have never been drinking in Chiswick but I’d be very surprised if you can’t find the same there). If i could ever afford to move more towards central London, Chiswick is about as far central I would want to go as it’s still pretty suburban, any more towards Central London and it starts to get too built up for my liking but is within easy reach if your venturing that way.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2021, 09:06:53 am »
Chiswick is a bit weird geographically because it’s split in half by the A4 which is a very busy road but on the other side of that you’ve got that Stand on the Green with a few nice pubs and restaurants down on the river between Kew Bridge and Chiswick Bridge.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2021, 10:27:06 am »
Enjoyed our trip into dat London at the weekend. NFL was great, my Girlfriend really got into it which was a pleasant surprise and we had a cracking Lebanese meal just outside of Shoreditch on the Sunday. We went to Yuu Kitchen on the Saturday night, really, really poor for how expensive it was, we had 7 small plates, 2 were cracking and the rest average or even straight up crap. They also added a 15% service charge to the bill when there were two of us and we were there less than an hour. Took the piss I thought. Wouldn't recommend.

We did a Jack the Ripper tour (as I'm fairly interested in Ripperology) and it was... okay. More scene setting and contextual but missed some big bits of info about the case. I did respect how the basis was on being respectful of the victims and remembering them rather than glorifying the crimes though.

Tate Modern somewhat underwhelming with several floors closed off (enjoyed the Twombly exhibit), National Gallery cracking though.

Overall, very good and very expensive trip.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2021, 10:34:11 am »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2021, 10:36:23 am »

;D I saw another group walking round with the Tour Guide dressed like Sherlock Holmes, immediately thought of Mark Corrigan and Mr Cutty Knife  ;D It's a bit wool behaviour to go on one of these tours but I was hoping for some really good info and to be educated, which I largely wasn't. At least our tour wasn't massively gimmicky.

We laugh, but there is literally a H+M on top of where one of the murders happened.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2021, 12:02:04 pm »
;D I saw another group walking round with the Tour Guide dressed like Sherlock Holmes, immediately thought of Mark Corrigan and Mr Cutty Knife  ;D It's a bit wool behaviour to go on one of these tours but I was hoping for some really good info and to be educated, which I largely wasn't. At least our tour wasn't massively gimmicky.

We laugh, but there is literally a H+M on top of where one of the murders happened.

Love that episode. :D

It’s hard to know which tour to do I guess. We did something similar in Edinburgh where we booked a ghost walk ad they take you down to the vaults. Sounded great but in reality it was a young German stupid turning her torch off from time to time and hamming it up a bit while we stood around in the dark.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2021, 12:30:44 pm »

I've been to the Old Operating Theatre based in an annexe to St Thomas's Hospital. Well worth a visit on a Saturday morning to hear how operations were carried out pre-anaesthesia .

https://oldoperatingtheatre.com/

And then over the road to Applebee's in Borough Market for a fish lunch.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2021, 01:46:44 pm »
I've usually used Borough Market for informal food, but have been somewhere on the South Bank, but that was a weekend years ago.
An recommendations for similar foodmarkets?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2021, 04:33:55 pm »
I've usually used Borough Market for informal food, but have been somewhere on the South Bank, but that was a weekend years ago.

Greenwich is great, bit out of the way but the regular boat service is a fantastic way to see the Thames.

Or you can get the DLR or a bus.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2021, 01:58:05 am »
If you're just after a meal, Mercato Metropolitano near Elephant and Castle is very hard to beat for variety. It's probably only a 10 or 15 minute walk from Borough Market too.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2021, 01:54:10 pm »
Looks just the thing, thanks for posting. We've booked a restaurant for later, so it's just for a quick bite at lunch and we fancied a change from Borough.

Thanks for that Howard, I'd forgotten about Greenwich, was there in Easter 2014. As you say, lovely down there and well worth the trip over. Had some brilliant homemade curry then watched the game and ended up talking footy with a Polish lad and his Columbian girlfriend. They were very understanding about my stress levels.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2021, 05:29:21 pm »
Isn’t Maltby market where it’s as these days

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2021, 07:04:23 pm »
Meant to go next weekend to Central. Just abit uncomfortable with idea of getting train into it and it being busy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 1, 2021, 08:55:53 am »
I've been to two,the first being Antillean on Blackfriars Rd (had an amazing meal and drinks) & the 2nd was The Rum Kitchen,had a great night apparently but drank so much that I can't remember much let alone what I ate,we went to the one in Brixton but there's 2 others in Soho and Shoreditch .

After seeing this I had a look and then sent link to family who all wanted to go.
We went last week and we all loved it, the food, the drink the service, the venue were all excellent. Would recommend.

Thanks for posting - helped us have a great night.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 7, 2022, 11:23:31 pm »
Anyone been to Printworks, i'm going on friday night to watch Gorgon City, was supposed to see them just before Xmas but the show got cancelled due to Omicron.

Can't wait, will be staying at my folks so no Hotel needed.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dScOJGE4yNA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dScOJGE4yNA</a>
« Last Edit: March 7, 2022, 11:25:22 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 8, 2022, 05:49:30 am »
Anyone been to Printworks, i'm going on friday night to watch Gorgon City, was supposed to see them just before Xmas but the show got cancelled due to Omicron.

Can't wait, will be staying at my folks so no Hotel needed.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dScOJGE4yNA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dScOJGE4yNA</a>

Would love to make it for the Defected sessions on Easter Saturday. At my age going back-to-back just isn't doable and I've got Groove Armada @ Brixton Academy on the Sunday night.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.