Author Topic: London advice  (Read 9927 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
London advice
« on: February 8, 2017, 07:29:23 pm »
Going in two weeks with wifey (had to bring her) and staying in THE Holiday Inn Express IN Wadsworth, SO FLYING IN.

1. Is it far from Gatwick?

2. Best way to get to Hotel?

3. Far from City Centre, nightlife, touristy shite (again wifey i have too)

4. Nest places for dinner.

5. Beer.

Robbie.

:wave
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: London advice
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2017, 07:42:19 pm »
Do you mean Wandsworth?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2017, 07:47:03 pm »
Right, being a dirty southerner, i'll take this one...

1. Is it far from Gatwick? Yes. Fucking miles. But the train takes you into Victoria station.

2. Best way to get to Hotel? Tube. Victoria to Putney bridge, walk across the river, turn left.

3. Far from City Centre, nightlife, touristy shite (again wifey i have too) Depends what you class as far... You'll not want to be heading between the centre and the hotel more than once a day. It's a pain in the arse rather than a long way (5miles to the Houses of Parliament from a quick google).

4. Nest places for dinner. Head for covent garden/leicester square for your standard chains. Brick lane if you want a curry. Chinatown is always fun too.

5. Beer. It's all outrageously expensive. Bank on £5 a pint and if you get change stay where you are. Don't even think about cocktails unless you've just remortgaged and got some extra cash in for the extension you were planning... Again, as with food, you'll find all the usual chains  but I'm quite the fan of the Greenwich Meantime Brewery, and there are fuckloads of microbreweries everywhere.

Enjoy.

[/quote]

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2017, 07:54:42 pm »
Going in two weeks with wifey (had to bring her) and staying in THE Holiday Inn Express IN Wadsworth, SO FLYING IN.

1. Is it far from Gatwick?
You can get a train to Clapham Junction - https://www.thetrainline.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAoOvEBRDD25uyu9Lg9ycSJAD0cnByHRGphKXtL_WmVIbwGXTDlfGjlQxLUJ_wcKlB0MCGMBoC0erw_wcB Book in advance and save on your fare. You'll need an Oyster card for getting around London - http://tfl.gov.uk Acquaint yourself with the journey planner
2. Best way to get to Hotel?

3. Far from City Centre, nightlife, touristy shite (again wifey i have too)
No. Wandsworth is zone 2/3
4. Nest places for dinner.
You need to be more specific. You can eat whatever you want at whatever price point
5. Beer.
There is beer in London
Robbie.

^ If you mean Wandsworth

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »
I didn't know the middle-aged men's gardening convention was in London in 2-weeks?

5. Beer. It's all outrageously expensive. Bank on £5 a pint
That won't bother him mate, he'll be flying in with wadsworth of Euro's.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2017, 08:05:40 pm »

1. Is it far from Gatwick? Yes. Fucking miles. But the train takes you into Victoria station.

2. Best way to get to Hotel? Tube. Victoria to Putney bridge, walk across the river, turn left.

3. Far from City Centre, nightlife, touristy shite (again wifey i have too) Depends what you class as far... You'll not want to be heading between the centre and the hotel more than once a day. It's a pain in the arse rather than a long way (5miles to the Houses of Parliament from a quick google).

4. Nest places for dinner. Head for covent garden/leicester square for your standard chains. Brick lane if you want a curry. Chinatown is always fun too.

5. Beer. It's all outrageously expensive. Bank on £5 a pint and if you get change stay where you are. Don't even think about cocktails unless you've just remortgaged and got some extra cash in for the extension you were planning... Again, as with food, you'll find all the usual chains  but I'm quite the fan of the Greenwich Meantime Brewery, and there are fuckloads of microbreweries everywhere.

Enjoy.

Cheers ;D Well thats all positive.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2017, 08:06:32 pm »
I didn't know the middle-aged men's gardening convention was in London in 2-weeks?
That won't bother him mate, he'll be flying in with wadsworth of Euro's.

I'm pretty loaded so its all good, gardening is the new F1. ;)
Y.N.W.A.

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2017, 08:07:20 pm »
One thing I think is worth doing is getting a river bus from Canary Wharf to Westminster (Houses of Parliament) - You see The Shard, go under Tower Bridge, past St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London. As you're on the river you get to see some of the sights from a different perspective.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »
^ If you mean Wandsworth

Looking for anything on Friday night but a good resturant on the saturday night, and I want good.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2017, 08:09:12 pm »
One thing I think is worth doing is getting a river bus from Canary Wharf to Westminster (Houses of Parliament) - You see The Shard, go under Tower Bridge, past St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London. As you're on the river you get to see some of the sights from a different perspective.

Good man thank you.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2017, 08:41:14 pm »
1 & 2 You could get the train from Gatwick to Clapham Junction which is one stop from Wandsworth Town or a short walk. Tip - download CityMapper for your phone https://citymapper.com/london. It integrates all transport - tube/bus/rail/walk/Uber - to give you the best routes anywhere in and around London. It tells you when to get on and off and which carriage is best.

3. It's not in the Centre but there are good transport links. Tubes and buses run all night and it would be worth downloading Uber if you don't have it. Use Citymapper to find bus routes into the centre especially as you're staying south of the river. One of the pleasures of London is sitting on the top deck going across one of the bridges, especially in the evening.

4. What sort of thing do you like? Tourist traps are shite and there are great places to eat all over the city. Don't go to the touristy bit of Covent Garden but look out for pre-theatre menus which are excellent value. Loch Fyne is a great fish restaurant - pricey but the pre theatre menu is not too bad.

Try somewhere like The Merchant's Tavern near Old Street for a special night out http://www.merchantstavern.co.uk/, Angela Hartnett's Restaurant. It has a great DJ playing vinyl/ cocktails and fantastic food. get there on the magic orange train (Overground) direct from Clapham Junction to Shoreditch High Street. Loads of new and interesting restaurants round there. And don't go to Brick Lane for a curry - it's a tourist trap and horrible. Try Dishoom http://www.dishoom.com/ there are a few branches (I like the Shoreditch one) where you won't get a Chicken Tikka Masala but you will get really delicious Indian food. 

Lots of really good gastro-pubs all over London that live up to the name. The Eagle on Farringdon Road http://www.theeaglefarringdon.co.uk/ was the original and is still good. Had a meal there a month or so back.

Definitely go to Borough Market.

5. Loads and loads of great local beers. Best Value are the Sam Smiths pubs. Princess Louise http://princesslouisepub.co.uk/ near Holborn has an amazing interior and individual booths. All the drinks are from their own brewery....

Absolutely loads to do and see. Tick a few tourist boxes but get out and about and enjoy yourself.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2017, 08:43:27 pm »
Looking for anything on Friday night but a good resturant on the saturday night, and I want good.

Best I've had in a while was Cafe Murano - another Angela Hartnett restaurant in Covent Garden. Went there for my birthday and it was amazing. Also try the restaurants on Upper Street between Angel and Highbury & Islington Station.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d3531043-Reviews-Il_Girasole-London_England.html This is a cosy (and good) Italian in Wandsworth itself. Order a special. Look through Tripadvisor and Timeout to narrow it down.

As for good, that's obviously up to you. Personally, I'd be looking to go to somewhere out of the ordinary.

http://www.the-shard.com Maybe there's a restaurant/cuisine that takes your fancy. You'll get a great view.

I won't pretend to be an epicure but http://www.bernerstavern.com is where I'd take the missus. George Clooney took his now-wife there when she was still "mystery brunette" :D The prices are reasonable for something special.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2017, 09:49:37 pm »

Do the Emirates cable car then take the river boat back. If you take the dlr out there, sit and the front and pretend to drive the train. That always embarrasses my kids.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »

Greenwich is on the river bus route and well worth half a day visit, particularly if you like naval history with. Maritime Museum being there.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2017, 10:02:48 pm »
1 & 2 You could get the train from Gatwick to Clapham Junction which is one stop from Wandsworth Town or a short walk. Tip - download CityMapper for your phone https://citymapper.com/london. It integrates all transport - tube/bus/rail/walk/Uber - to give you the best routes anywhere in and around London. It tells you when to get on and off and which carriage is best.

3. It's not in the Centre but there are good transport links. Tubes and buses run all night and it would be worth downloading Uber if you don't have it. Use Citymapper to find bus routes into the centre especially as you're staying south of the river. One of the pleasures of London is sitting on the top deck going across one of the bridges, especially in the evening.

4. What sort of thing do you like? Tourist traps are shite and there are great places to eat all over the city. Don't go to the touristy bit of Covent Garden but look out for pre-theatre menus which are excellent value. Loch Fyne is a great fish restaurant - pricey but the pre theatre menu is not too bad.

Try somewhere like The Merchant's Tavern near Old Street for a special night out http://www.merchantstavern.co.uk/, Angela Hartnett's Restaurant. It has a great DJ playing vinyl/ cocktails and fantastic food. get there on the magic orange train (Overground) direct from Clapham Junction to Shoreditch High Street. Loads of new and interesting restaurants round there. And don't go to Brick Lane for a curry - it's a tourist trap and horrible. Try Dishoom http://www.dishoom.com/ there are a few branches (I like the Shoreditch one) where you won't get a Chicken Tikka Masala but you will get really delicious Indian food. 

Lots of really good gastro-pubs all over London that live up to the name. The Eagle on Farringdon Road http://www.theeaglefarringdon.co.uk/ was the original and is still good. Had a meal there a month or so back.

Definitely go to Borough Market.

5. Loads and loads of great local beers. Best Value are the Sam Smiths pubs. Princess Louise http://princesslouisepub.co.uk/ near Holborn has an amazing interior and individual booths. All the drinks are from their own brewery....

Absolutely loads to do and see. Tick a few tourist boxes but get out and about and enjoy yourself.

Thats brill cheers mate.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #17 on: February 8, 2017, 10:04:27 pm »
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d3531043-Reviews-Il_Girasole-London_England.html This is a cosy (and good) Italian in Wandsworth itself. Order a special. Look through Tripadvisor and Timeout to narrow it down.

As for good, that's obviously up to you. Personally, I'd be looking to go to somewhere out of the ordinary.

http://www.the-shard.com Maybe there's a restaurant/cuisine that takes your fancy. You'll get a great view.

I won't pretend to be an epicure but http://www.bernerstavern.com is where I'd take the missus. George Clooney took his now-wife there when she was still "mystery brunette" :D The prices are reasonable for something special.

That looks the bizz.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #18 on: February 8, 2017, 10:05:06 pm »
Do the Emirates cable car then take the river boat back. If you take the dlr out there, sit and the front and pretend to drive the train. That always embarrasses my kids.

;D Sinead woould possibly fook me off it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #19 on: February 9, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »
That looks the bizz.

From the wine list

1998 Romanée-Conti Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grand Cru £17000
« Last Edit: February 9, 2017, 01:49:15 pm by Ziltoid »

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 9, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »
If you want Indian I vote dishoom to. My god it's incredible. I'm a big foodie, and go out far too much. Dishoom is by far my favourite restaurant in London. You do have to que in some branches as they don't allow you to book. Best Indian I've ever eaten. Great experience to. Not your normal Balti and Rogan. Also open kitchen is great watching them make the naan bread.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 9, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »
If you want Indian I vote dishoom to. My god it's incredible. I'm a big foodie, and go out far too much. Dishoom is by far my favourite restaurant in London. You do have to que in some branches as they don't allow you to book. Best Indian I've ever eaten. Great experience to. Not your normal Balti and Rogan. Also open kitchen is great watching them make the naan bread.

You should try the Cinnampm Club. Expensive but amazing food.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: February 9, 2017, 05:52:10 pm »
You should try the Cinnampm Club. Expensive but amazing food.

Ooh,  I've been there. In Westminster?  Yeah that was lovely!

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 03:16:39 pm »

Enjoy.

If you want decent south Asian food don’t go to brick lane. Dishoom (a number of locations around London) for Indian food and a slightly upmarket environment or head to Whitechapel for cheap and cheerful Pakistani food (Tayyabs, Lahore Kebab House or Needoo Grill).

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 03:51:00 pm »
If you want decent south Asian food don’t go to brick lane. Dishoom (a number of locations around London) for Indian food and a slightly upmarket environment or head to Whitechapel for cheap and cheerful Pakistani food (Tayyabs, Lahore Kebab House or Needoo Grill).

Lahore Kebab House seconded, love it there
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 10:06:34 am »
Hi Guys,

I moved to London a few weeks ago for a new job. Not really been out and about to places but im based near liverpool st and commuting from the east (London). My girlfriend is coming down soon for a few days and we planned to do a day in central and where we do all the touristy things. Can anyone reccomend the places to go and also bars/restaurants to check out.

The plan was to head in to liverpool st and then walk to St pauls and go from there.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 11:11:22 am »
Hi Guys,

I moved to London a few weeks ago for a new job. Not really been out and about to places but im based near liverpool st and commuting from the east (London). My girlfriend is coming down soon for a few days and we planned to do a day in central and where we do all the touristy things. Can anyone reccomend the places to go and also bars/restaurants to check out.

The plan was to head in to liverpool st and then walk to St pauls and go from there.

Get to St. Paul's, try go in its incredible, walk over the millennium bridge, go to Tate - can recommend the viewing gallery and the Elton John collection, walk along the river to borough market, go to Flat iron square for some street food lunch, walk along river past mayors office, over tower bridge then to the tower or a walk around Katherine's docks.

Dennis severs house is good in shoreditch

If you're about on a Sunday have a walk up to Columbia road flower market. Royal Oak is a great pub, or walk along To hackney city farm and up to London fields for some promenading. Have dinner in morito on hackney road.

In case you wanted to know the water poet is a good place to watch footy near L street.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:19:31 am by meady1981 »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 05:15:30 pm »
Sister suffragette

:lmao
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:37 pm »
Hi Guys,

Take the river boat to Greenwich for a bout of nautical history and the Bank of England Museum is worth a spin, just to have the opportunity to fondle a gold bar. Both are free, the boat isn't but you can use Otster card or contactless on it.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 10:35:10 pm »
Take the river boat to Greenwich for a bout of nautical history and the Bank of England Museum is worth a spin, just to have the opportunity to fondle a gold bar. Both are free, the boat isn't but you can use Otster card or contactless on it.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visit-the-city/attractions/guildhall-galleries/Pages/londons-roman-amphitheatre.aspx

Free Art Gallery with a Roman Amphitheatre in the basement.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 11:23:07 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.

Where do I get on to get the riverboat to greenwhich?

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 07:22:13 pm »

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 08:22:20 pm »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
London
« Reply #33 on: September 3, 2021, 11:14:58 am »
I couldn't find a current thread on London so thought I would start one.

I'm going on 23rd and 24th September with the lads and we are staying in Oxford Circus. Can anyone recommend any decent things to do throughout the day besides shopping and boozing and any decent bar recommendations for the night?

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: London
« Reply #34 on: September 3, 2021, 11:18:35 am »

Just go out and walk around, go down one side of the river as far as you like (Westminster to Tower Bridge is pleasant and come back up the other bank) take photos!

You can`t go wrong using one of the big red tourist buses if sightseeing is your thing. Or take a trip down the river to Greenwich and back.

The American Bar in The Savoy is the place of choice  ;)
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 3, 2021, 11:33:45 am »
Tate Modern (best building in London), Shakespeare's Globe, Borough Market and a pint (or many) at The Royal Oak.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 3, 2021, 11:43:43 am »
Tate Modern (best building in London), Shakespeare's Globe, Borough Market and a pint (or many) at The Royal Oak.

If you like sea food I'd definitely recommend Applebees in Borough Market.

https://www.applebeesfish.com/menu?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-DJls_i8gIVksx3Ch3uKwItEAAYASAAEgKKNPD_BwE

The Cheshire Cat in Fleet street has a number of subterreanean alcoves.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 3, 2021, 12:00:28 pm »
If you like sea food I'd definitely recommend Applebees in Borough Market.

https://www.applebeesfish.com/menu?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-DJls_i8gIVksx3Ch3uKwItEAAYASAAEgKKNPD_BwE

The Cheshire Cat in Fleet street has a number of subterreanean alcoves.

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese? Great if you're a literary fan.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 3, 2021, 12:04:43 pm »
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese? Great if you're a literary fan.

Thanks for the correction.

There's a Cheshire Cat up the road from us hence my addled brain not functioning properly.

But the Olde Cheshire Cheese is worth a visit, as is the Blackfriars;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Friar_(pub)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 3, 2021, 12:08:17 pm »
Stinks of rats piss
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA