Author Topic: Every Blade of Grass : An Emlyn Tribute  (Read 22812 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Every Blade of Grass : An Emlyn Tribute
« on: November 15, 2004, 11:57:37 am »
Barrow (In Fairness) is probably not the most famous place in Great Britain, but it was the birthplace of a Legend. Emlyn “Crazy Horse” Hughes born 1947, got a 10 year start on me and God only knows what they fed him on, but he had more energy than any other player I can remember.

Pre the “three shredded wheat” era I can only assume Quakers Porridge Oats did the trick in those days. When Shanks first saw “Yosser” play he immediately sounded out the possibility of a move to Liverpool. The “Mighty Emlyn” had that effect on anyone who saw him play.

His appetite for hard graft left most of his fellow pro’s agog. I was told that at Melwood, most players thought he was a nutter. When Shanks used to take part in the 5-a-sides, Emlyn was his first choice for “HIS SIDE”. No way did our Bill want to chase Emlyn all day. On a day when Shanks didn’t get first pick (for a change) they ended up on opposite sides. After 4 minutes Shanks sent Emlyn off to the “Sweat Box” to tire him out. But Emlyn returned even more fired up. Shanks was on the losing side that day, that in itself was a rarity. Hughes was the original “Duracel Bunny”

My fondest memory of Crazy Horse was from the 1972/73 season. It was a time when Stevie Wonder was singing Superstition, The O’Jays were singing Love Train, T Rex were singing 20th Century Boy (recently used on a tv ad). But the record that was breaking all the records was Dawn featuring Tony Orlando “Oh tie a Scarlet Ribbon round the old oak tree”

(Perhaps there is something we can do regarding Scarlet ribbons to remember a TRUE RED)

News of the era was Northern Ireland voting to stay a part of the Union. “Tricky Dicky” him of White House fame, was contemplating complete withdrawl from Vietnam (perhaps history did him an injustice).

In March 1973 I was a 15 year old attending (not learning at) Hillfoot Hey High School. On Saturday 3rd March 11am, HHH played Speke Comp. But the big game that day was at Woodison. Tickets had been sorted by my arl fella as a reward for the previous week's brace of goals scored against St Kevins (Kirkby).

We parked the car in the same spec as we did for home games and walked across the park. I always got butterflies before Derby games and today was no different, but today they felt more like albatross wings flapping in my stomach.

As usual when 55,000 scousers get together in one place, the atmosphere was acidic. The chants from the Park End were met with equal vociferous chants from The Gladys boys (note the inclusion of lady-boys in that name). Also usual in Derby games at that time the nerves kicked in anytime they got the ball even if it was well within their own half.

The teams :

Woodentops:
Lawson, Wright, Styles, Hurst, Kenyon, Darracott, Jones, Kendall, Harper, Lyons and Connolly.

Tricky Reds:
Clemence, Lawler, Lindsay, Smith, Lloyd, THE MIGHTY EMLYN, Keegan, Hall, Boersma, Heighway and Callaghan.

Sad to admit but, to be perfectly honest apart from the nervous tension, I can remember absolutely nothing about the game apart from TWO absolute screamers from Crazy Horse and the fact that Emlyn that day covered every blade of grass on the pitch in our 2-0 win. He even made Keegan look lazy and that took some doing.

Walking back across the park everyone was saying what a fella this Hughes was, surely it was only a matter of time before he was made England Captain. Emlyn continued to trample Every INCH of Every Pitch throughout his illustrious career and for what would be considered today a pittance. That year he was rewarded with a League Winners medal and a Uefa Cup Winners medal but I will always remember ...

He played for Pride
He played with Heart
He played for US !!

Come all without, come all within, you’ve not seen nothing like the Mighty Emlyn

RIP Crazy Horse, never has a man given so much and taken so little. Goodnight Mate.

© Wooltonian 2004
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 12:54:56 pm by Rushian »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
Re: Every Blade of Grass : An Emlyn Tribute
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 12:09:01 pm »
Excellent read wooly.
RIP Crazy Horse YNWA

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 12:57:54 pm »
top work Karl
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 01:36:25 pm »
Great read that was. 
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 01:58:20 pm »
Excellent read Wooly.  Thank you  :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 05:02:13 pm »
Top stuff, and great choice of picture at the top of the article.

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 10:49:16 am »

Hughes was the original “Duracel Bunny”

;D

Great read Karl and an excellent way to sum up Emlyn's energy levels.

-----

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 01:57:34 pm »
After attending anfield for the palace match the minutes silence showed how much this man was loved.

Even the palace fans who never stopped singing during the match were brilliantly quiet.

He is in the bootroom in the sky
wonder who's side he is on today

STEVEMCQUEEN

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 07:04:01 pm »
Fine fine post Wooltonian. Was inside Woodisons boys pen that day. Me and our kid 10, 11, standing behind the mad red kid with the massive wire cutters.

Green fence wire snipped to bits - Got out of the pen and into the Street End five minutes into the game. As usual stuck in the corner flag with hundreds of other mad reds, until Emlyn scored his first. And with a quick 'see yer later' to the brother I was off onto the pitch to jump into a jam-packed, all-singing red Park End. Now I was happy - so I thought.

Emlyn scored his second and the place absolutely erupted, so much so in fact, that steam was rising from our end and as a wee bin-lid I thought the Park End was on fire.

I left the dutch-elm diseased dump on a giants shoulders, singing 'nice one Emlyn, nice one son' while looking like a squashed crinkle cut chip in a pair of monkey boots.

One thing - cant believe you scored two against St. Kevs me arl school, we were always so unbeatable. You must have been Hillfoot Heys answer to Johnny Aldo, while I was a mere Alun Evans, on his way up and about to do the damage on every school pitch on Merseyside come Satdee morning.

Emlyn was basically an all round fantastic footballer - Without sounding too cliched - priceless footballer today that fella.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 11:02:06 am »
One thing - cant believe you scored two against St. Kevs me arl school, we were always so unbeatable. You must have been Hillfoot Heys answer to Johnny Aldo, while I was a mere Alun Evans, on his way up and about to do the damage on every school pitch on Merseyside come Satdee morning.

Nicky
the final score was 5-2 mate, I was rewarded for effort only that day.
St Kevins (my year) were unbeaten for 4 years.
The only time we beat them was 2-1 in the quarters or semi's of the Echo Cup 73/74, where the final stages were cancelled due to a teachers strike.
My job was to mark a 6' blonde lad who played for Liverpool schoolboys.

Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

STEVEMCQUEEN

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 05:44:42 pm »
I knew it!  - Nah serious though Wooltone (isnt that a group), St Kevs had some tremendous footballers and boxers - being the largest boys school in Europe, full of shipped-out scousers, was, I suppose, a massive advantage.

Oh yeah, and those inner-city kids just couldnt stop running once they seen the endless green fields of Kirkby. The farmers tried to stop them running through the corn, but they were harished to death and gave up in the end.

Emlyn would have been a good man to outrun the farmer then flatten the corn, specially with the amount of running he did.

Played at Hillfoot Hey a number of times, good facilities if I remember, proper cricket whites, pads an'all that, or am I getting mixed up with SFX or Bluecoat.?

Offline Pooch

• Not a fan of Michael Winner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont keep calling me Shirley!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 11:17:21 pm »
Heart warming stuff. Top read.

Every single beat is red !

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #12 on: January 1, 2005, 01:03:40 am »
the biggest compliment i can ever pay to Emlyn was that HE was the player that I wnted to BE, when i xwas captain of my local team HE was the one I wanted to play like and I done my best to copy .;; I wa luxk to be at wembley in 74 when he lifted that cup, and before when he creid a losing to arse... in 71 , i remember thre classic FIRST againsr Spurs , I think it was 69 when he just kept on running throuigh the park then cracked it past jennings, one of the best ever goalies, crazy horse , I will NEVER forget you, captain, my captain, ....Chris
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline Matty8

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96
« Reply #13 on: January 1, 2005, 02:55:32 pm »
Will NEVER forget the mighty EMLYN.

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Offline the invisible man

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 05:44:15 am »
 :wave

Nothing will ever come close to our mighty Emlyn and his great big daft smile...

johnlemmon...
t.i.m...

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 06:55:59 am »
Top post. Only saw him play through a VCR and DVD player but one look at him and you knew he was going to out work everyone on the pitch. Fucking legend. Makes me proud. YNWA Emlyn.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 12:42:32 am by IloveGuinness17 »
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 06:26:56 pm »
Great piece, nice one wooltonian. Legend.

YNWA crazy horse.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline wacko jacko

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96..
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 10:29:02 pm »
One of our greatest ever!!
"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now ... but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail ...... I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"
Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 01:02:34 pm »
You're right to pick out the two goals at Goodison. Late on, weren't they? And just when it seemed another 0-0 Derby was on the cards.

Emlyn scored on my Kop debut (v Stoke City in 75-6) and it was a typical Hughes goal. A long rangy run from the back, elbows and knees like supercharged pistons, ball speared into the net, followed by frantic, machine-now-out-of-control celebration. When I think of Hughes now I think of great moments like that - accompanied by the roar of anticipation from the Kop as they realise he is about to make a forward run.

Hughes's best years were alongside Thompson. Genuine ball-playing centre backs who were comfortable in possession at a time when everyone thought you had to be called Beckenbauer or Passarella to do that sort of stuff.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 01:25:12 am »
Great read mate and a great tribute to a truly great player.....thank you
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 02:03:55 am »
You're right to pick out the two goals at Goodison. Late on, weren't they? And just when it seemed another 0-0 Derby was on the cards.

Emlyn scored on my Kop debut (v Stoke City in 75-6) and it was a typical Hughes goal. A long rangy run from the back, elbows and knees like supercharged pistons, ball speared into the net, followed by frantic, machine-now-out-of-control celebration. When I think of Hughes now I think of great moments like that - accompanied by the roar of anticipation from the Kop as they realise he is about to make a forward run.

Hughes's best years were alongside Thompson. Genuine ball-playing centre backs who were comfortable in possession at a time when everyone thought you had to be called Beckenbauer or Passarella to do that sort of stuff.

A - Fucking men... ;)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #21 on: August 2, 2006, 01:03:52 pm »
Another great read Wooltonian, bringing back more memories of the truly great players of our club. If i was asked to compare anyone from todays team to Emlyn, i'm sure Gerrard  might come close.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #22 on: August 2, 2006, 01:13:18 pm »
The teams :

Tricky Reds:
Clemence, Lawler, Lindsay, Smith, Lloyd, THE MIGHTY EMLYN, Keegan, Hall, Boersma, Heighway and Callaghan.

Lovely read sir, and made my spine tingle as that was the exact period I started supporting the Reds - that was "my" team.  You have 10 years on me and, Keegan and Heighway were my heros as 5 year old in a Cambridge suburb playing in the park with my Dad, scoring goals like Keegan or saving them like Clemence.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 01:51:45 am »
I watched the 1974 Cup Final on ESPN recently and Emlyn stood out as a collosus. What a good player that man was.

Playing the ball out of defence comfortably with his right foot when I'd  always thought of him as left footed cos he played left side of central defence or left back. I think he was truly 2 footed.

Top player, top man and that smile when he lifted trophies made me want to captain Liverpool as a young lad.

RIP and thank you once more to a legend.

Offline Boston-Sox

• He's a Yankee Doodle Dandy...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 06:18:16 pm »
My favourite ever player at Liverpool,there will never be another player like Emlyn,he was the heart and soul of Liverpool.
Rest in peace Emlyn your up there with Shanks and Paisley and 96 Angels.

Offline bridgetown

• Main Stander
  • If You've Got A Blue Nose Get Out of My Way.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 12:52:52 am »
Come on without come on within,you a'int seen nothing like the mighty Emlyn,do you remember 1969,1970,1971,when they used to play The Mighty Quinn,then Tears of A Clown by Smokie Robinson,That was the clue that Liverpool where about to come out of the tunnel and the Kop would get wound up and scare the shit out of the other team.When you saw Emlyn lead Liverpool on the pitch you knew we would win,there was no doubt we would win,Liverpool at that time wore a high rounded white collor on the shirt,all red frightening the bejesus out of the other team,this is Anfield and we are Liverpool.

I agree with everything you say about Emlyn the best and most successful Liverpool captain ever.

I had the previledege of seeing Emlyn's first ever game at Anfield,he was 19,he was in age a lot nearerer to my own, so i related to him.I had watched the great 1960's Liverpool team,but they all apperead a lot older than me so it was great to see a young boy play for Liverpool,you could belive it could be you.I watched his career develop,he became our captain played for England ,became England captain,lifted the FA Cup,The First Division Championship Trohpy,The European Cup.The first Liverpool captain to lift the European cup watching Emlyn do this was the best night ever.When I was about fifteen the mainstand at Anfield was being developed.The Liverpool players needed somewher to have thier lunch after training each day.The club chose the Mons Hotel in Bootle,which at that time had a reasonable al a carte menu.I lived over the road from the Mons and each day at lunch time I would have to pass it to get to school,every day me and my mate would meet the Liverpool players on their way in for lunch,this was great,meeting our heroes and getting autographhs etc,Emlyn Hughes would talk to us each day about football ,and how liverpool had played in the previous match,he would stand by his car and have a frank discussion about the game he was enthusiastic and it was obvious he loved Liverpool Football Club,if we had played badly,he would say we were shit.He would moan about referees and things like that.For me and my mate it was great talking to Liverpool legend and England international.He always had time to talk to us,staying behind in the car park long after the other Liverpool players had left.I have read things about Emlyn in other players books,the only thing I will say is this,I take people as I find them,Emlyn Hughes alway had time to talk to me and my mate about our favourite team he was genuine,down to earth and honest .The other players shot off as quick as you like. To me he is a legend,he always will be.No one wears the number 6 shirt like the mighty Emlyn.Come on without come on within you a'int seen nothing like the mighty EMLYN.I still have the autographs,and the memories. This is a watered down version but I hope you get the flavour.      
"West Ham think they've won this"

Offline albertared

• Left England in 1990 - probably chased by a mob.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 05:30:27 am »
only just found this thread and just had to add SOMETHING...

Emlyn was my boyhood hero but, unlike most boyhood things, the memories of him don't fade. to see the unbridled pure joy on his face when he scored a goal for liverpool is something that will stay with me forever. i used to always wear a full replica Emlyn Hughes kit even for a kick around when i was a kid.

i am not religous but i prayed for him when i heard of his illness and i have to believe that he is still somewhere around anfield...i hope he approves of the new place!

there may have been a handful of technically better footballers than Emlyn at anfield in my 40 years or so watching but there has NEVER been one that gave so much energy.

i miss you Emlyn.
Left England 1990...still on our perch...I think I'd better come back because it's all gone haywire since!

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 08:48:41 pm »
Huge impact on the club. Joey Jones told me Emlyn was the guy who would tell the manager if the players had been out of line on the bevies etc. You need this sort of leader to rise above being good and become great.
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #28 on: December 4, 2006, 11:23:17 pm »
'Walking back across the park everyone was saying what a fella this Hughes was, surely it was only a matter of time before he was made England Captain. Emlyn continued to trample Every INCH of Every Pitch throughout his illustrious career and for what would be considered today a pittance. That year he was rewarded with a League Winners medal and a Uefa Cup Winners medal but I will always remember ...

He played for Pride
He played with Heart
He played for US !!

Come all without, come all within, you’ve not seen nothing like the Mighty Emlyn'

Superb, mate!  ;)

:thumbup

RIP Crazy Horse, never has a man given so much and taken so little. Goodnight Mate.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline jonesyb

• How many cans of Efes would it take to fill 5 European Cups?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • I'll have one more then I'm going on the piss!
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 08:48:21 pm »
Absolutely fantastic read Wooltonian,

What a legend.Football will probably never see the likes again.

RIP Crazy Horse.
"what d'ye mean ye broke yer leg? Thats Liverpool's bloody leg"
Shankly to Tommy Smith

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2007, 04:25:37 pm »
thank you Wooltonian and EMLYN HUGHES for what you gave me in my youth will stay forever with me!
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 04:37:30 pm »
Great read, mate. I believe we are much the same age, you and I. So our memories tend to coincide. Emlyn Hughes was my first "favourite" player, at a time when I was young and impressionable, precisely because of the qualities you describe. And, as evidenced in the photograph accompanying your piece, because of the widest, happiest, most open, genuine smile of sheer delight ever seen in football, before or since (King Kenny is a close second in that respect).

RIP Emlyn. To paraphrase your manager, you made this person happy.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 01:36:38 am »
If he was good enough for Shank's, who held him in high esteem?

Enough said.

Offline Jackson_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 03:17:42 pm »
Great read mate and a great tribute to a truly great player.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 05:11:17 pm »
If you could input a  part of our old greats into the present players and youth coming through Anfield you'd want Emlyn Hughes infectious personality, commitment and enthusiasm for Liverpool Football Club.

He played like he really cared and you know that he did. Great memories of Emlyn and a far better player than he was probably given credit for. Midfield, full back or centre half with equal ease at the highets level.

Offline Jackson_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 10:02:25 am »
Yes, I would want to show any young player - video footage of him. If he can take just half of the enthusiasm and passion that Emlyn showed playing for the club, then he will have a great career ahead of them. Truly a role model for any aspiring young footballer

Offline kopite@m45

• A frightening peek inside the mind of a Tory voter... fuck me its roomy in here
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 08:07:45 pm »
I remember that game at Woodison so well. I was with my brother in the Street End and couldn't believe the steam coming from the red end of the pitch.

Emlyn seemed to be totally out of control when he scored, his smile was something else.

Have a picture of Yosser with the European Cup inside my locker at work, makes me smile every time I see it.

Happy days.
A legendary dickhead, no less.

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 02:10:24 pm »
Good read, as per.

Iwas lucky enough to have tix for that Goodison show- at the Gwladys Street End. When Emlyn scored his first, my sister-in-law slipped off the backof the terrace.

But I hardly noticed, as No2 soon went into the Bluenose net, past 'The Hapless Lawson'.(wot a keeper!- where DID they find theses guys?- Dai the DropDavies,Wee Georgie Wood,...)

Happy Daze

Offline the invisible man

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 12:48:02 pm »

brilliant stories lads & lasses..

more please...
t.i.m...

Offline terrymac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 05:54:22 pm »
as a young lad i always used to love it when he scored and would go mad, hands waving in the air--better the Micky Channon's celebration that eeryone else used to do at school...remember being in the Anny rd end right at the front when he came back with Wolves  --we battered em 3-0 and to this day i can remember his face as he was on his arse after the 3rd goal--broke a young lads heart to see one of his hero's not in red and suffering

Shit, later on i even used to look out for rotherams game to see how they had got on--Fking legend and played with an attitude foreign to most these days
"Magna est veritas et prevalebit"   JFT96