Emlyn Hughes
Alan Hansen
Mark Lawerson
Sami Hyypia
Tommy Smith
Stephane Henchoz
Mark Wright
Jamie Carragher

Author Topic: The Greatest player Debate Vote Open. 1964 - 2009. Round 3 - The Centre Backs  (Read 47395 times)

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
This is tough, I'm gonna have to have a good think about this.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Have to pick Hansen because he is probably our greatest ever defender and I've watched and read a lot about him and his performances.

After that I've got to go with the best defender I've seen in a Red shirt and as I'm 26-years-old that is Sami Hyypia.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Hell of a lineup in this one and i think its the toughest compition in the whole exercise. People will go ape when Torres is not added but ahh well.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Have to pick Hansen because he is probably our greatest ever defender and I've watched and read a lot about him and his performances.

After that I've got to go with the best defender I've seen in a Red shirt and as I'm 26-years-old that is Sami Hyypia.
Age does come in to these things because we all favour who we've seen and modern players like Carra/Sami will always get a bigger proportion of votes than Yeats say.

That said, Sami is right up there from what I've watched since 1974ish so not a bad choice at all.

I asked my dad and he said Yeats and Hansen whereas I picked from my formative years Lawrenson and Hansen.

Seems like Hansen is nailed in !

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
The problem with these kind of things is that we're going to end up in a situation where Alan Kennedy for example is in our all time eleven and maybe Emlyn Hughes or Mark Lawrenson  who were both better left backs than him are not due selection options.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
The problem with these kind of things is that we're going to end up in a situation where Alan Kennedy for example is in our all time eleven and maybe Emlyn Hughes or Mark Lawrenson  who were both better left backs than him are not due selection options.

They might make the 22.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Anyway as i said a long way until next wednesday.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
It looks like it's going to be Jockie & Sami, which highlights the problem with these polls. Sami has been brilliant for us in recent years but a better player than Emlyn or Lawro?

The rest of the polls are going to be fascinating.

If this poll was done before sami agreed to leave he wouldn't be #2 in my opinion, thats the problem as you say.

Lawro and Hansen were amazing.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
They might make the 22.
I know it's difficult to run  so nothing but praise for you Sarge.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If this poll was done before sami agreed to leave he wouldn't be #2 in my opinion, thats the problem as you say.

Lawro and Hansen were amazing.

I'm not so sure, regardless of his departure Sami is the best defender Reds younger than 30  will have seen playing for us.

It's not easy to pick players you didn't see playing regularly.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
I know it's difficult to run  so nothing but praise for you Sarge.

i know i am great me, ;D. Bit unfair to Sami and he rightly deserves the votes cast. I personally went for Hansen and Lawerson.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Me Dad just read the list and i told him to pick two and he said,

Fuckin' hell. ;D

Says it all really and he is 61.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Tough one this. Emlyn and Jockie for me. Leaving out Lawrenson and Thompson was not easy but Jockie has to be there and Emlyn was an incredible player - the Gerrard of his day. Versatile, committed and with an energy that defied belief. He had a shot on him that was the epitome of the thunderbolt.

Whenever I've done a 'best XI' to amuse myself over the years, it's always been Hansen and Lawrenson, though I sometimes think I've underrated Thompson. But reading the writeups and watching the video of Hughes (and you're right, I thought 'Gerrard of his time'), who I only really caught the tail-end of at the time... Fuck me he scored some belters. I read his autobiography years ago and didn't warm to him (royalist, blah blah). But the unrestrained joy of those celebrations probably just swayed me.

Hansen and Hughes. Or is it? Lawrenson was class... have to leave the vote for a while yet.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
Ronnie Moran:
"I've been around marvellous players like Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan, Ian Callaghan, Emlyn Hughes, Graeme Souness, Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush, John Barnes and Robbie Fowler and I think Gerrard is as good as any of them."

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
Ronnie Moran:
"I've been around marvellous players like Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan, Ian Callaghan, Emlyn Hughes, Graeme Souness, Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush, John Barnes and Robbie Fowler and I think Gerrard is as good as any of them."
Sensational story.

"Ronnie Moran doesn't rate Alan Hansen and thinks Ian St John is not to face lace Fowlers boots."

It's hardly compelling is it.

Offline otottottffn

• Main Stander
Extremely hard to choose between Hughes, Hansen and Lawrenson, with Thompson not far behind.  In the end went for Hughes and Lawrenson.  If we were voting for a partnership would be Hansen and Lawrenson, but looking at them as individuals I couldn't leave Hughes out - my first favourite Liverpool player as a child.
Rush scored one, Rush scored two, Rush scored three and Rush scored four.

Offline Callaghan.

• Legacy Fan
Sensational story.

"Ronnie Moran doesn't rate Alan Hansen and thinks Ian St John is not to face lace Fowlers boots."

It's hardly compelling is it.

It's not about some obvious names that Ronnie Moran left off his list, it's the fact that Emlyn Hughes gets on such a short list. That in itself shows what a player he was.

Offline panjabijutt

• Kemlynite
  • I have a dream.....
    • Pak Reds - (un)Official Liverpool Supporters Club - Pakistan
Tough one this...having seen 'pool play for the last 30 odd years...lawro and hansen were defo the best partnership.  but went for hansen and Carragher as my choice.  Yes Carragher does not get much mention from the regulars but I chose him because with all the other great names being mentioned they had someone almost as good or better playing alongside them....i.e. a partnership.

Jamie has never had that consistent player alongside him and thus stood strong without the a hansen or lawro or thompson alongside.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Jamie has never had that consistent player alongside him and thus stood strong without the a hansen or lawro or thompson alongside.

At the risk of scuppering my boy's chances, how are Hyypia (especially), Agger and Skrtel not consistent?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner

The face that the person in second place by a mile has played CB for us for the last 10 years suggests that is an awful arguement.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline The Mullingar Stud

• Kemlynite
Alan Hansen 
Mark Lawerson

Offline panjabijutt

• Kemlynite
  • I have a dream.....
At the risk of scuppering my boy's chances, how are Hyypia (especially), Agger and Skrtel not consistent?

Sami's been a great servant of the team.  Skrtel has really come through this year and would be great for the future.  Agger, a good player but has not had enough of a time in....

You've mentioned just three names here and can probably mention a few more for the time Carra has been a constant.  Go back to Hughes, Thompson's Hansen and Lawro's time......they were the names which were ever present, week in week out for years. So formed a partnership.

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
So hard to chose between Sami and Carra
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Sami's been a great servant of the team.  Skrtel has really come through this year and would be great for the future.  Agger, a good player but has not had enough of a time in....

You've mentioned just three names here and can probably mention a few more for the time Carra has been a constant.  Go back to Hughes, Thompson's Hansen and Lawro's time......they were the names which were ever present, week in week out for years. So formed a partnership.

That's nonsense, centre-back partnerships change all the time - Jockie signed in '77 and Lawrenson didn't sign until 81.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
So hard to chose between Sami and Carra

Choose Emlyn...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
Hansen and Lawrenson. If there is a better CB pairing ever in the game I haven't seen it. 
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline panjabijutt

• Kemlynite
  • I have a dream.....

The face that the person in second place by a mile has played CB for us for the last 10 years suggests that is an awful arguement.

Nothing against Sami...been a great player and there's nothing awful about the argument. 

As has been previously stated how many of the people voting have actually ever seen any of the names in the list form the 70's or even the 80's playing?  Any such vote will always favour the more recent players especially so because the choice is rather limited between Carra and Sami only, whereas the vote from anyone who can remember the 70's and 80's is split between 6 players.

Offline panjabijutt

• Kemlynite
  • I have a dream.....

That's nonsense, centre-back partnerships change all the time - Jockie signed in '77 and Lawrenson didn't sign until 81.

From '77 he had Thompson.  From '81 he had Lawro.

For me Hansen and Lawro were the best partnership.  But I voted for Hansen and Carraghar.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
From '77 he had Thompson.  From '81 he had Lawro.

For me Hansen and Lawro were the best partnership.  But I voted for Hansen and Carraghar.

Jamie & Sami played together almost without a break in 2004/5 and 2005/6. Jamie 56 and 57 appearances, Sami 49 and 59... wasn't that enough time to develop a partnership?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan

Hansen and Lawrenson,without a doubt.
Loved Jocky,remember his early days when Paisley told him to cut out the dribbling in his own area,he was that good he got away with it.
A privilege to have seen such a class act.

Offline Parpello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Extremely hard to choose between Hughes, Hansen and Lawrenson, with Thompson not far behind.  In the end went for Hughes and Lawrenson.  If we were voting for a partnership would be Hansen and Lawrenson, but looking at them as individuals I couldn't leave Hughes out - my first favourite Liverpool player as a child.

We've had some exceptional centre backs through the years, but like yourself i've gone for Hughes & Lawrenson.

Hughes because of his drive & enthusiasm, & Lawrenson for his combative skills & pace.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
very surprised at Yeats not being up there
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
From '77 he had Thompson.  From '81 he had Lawro.

For me Hansen and Lawro were the best partnership.  But I voted for Hansen and Carraghar.

Jockey has always maintained his best partner was Phil Thompson.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
Hansen & Sami for me
“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Gary Gillespie is still not on the list...!!!
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Callaghan.

• Legacy Fan
Gary Gillespie is still not on the list...!!!

Sarge had a tough job picking the list. Gary Gillespie and Larry Lloyd are probably the other two of the top dozen since 1964.

Gillespie was originally suggested by Sarge but he was persuaded to replace him with Tommy Smith. Smith was in the right-back list but Nicol made the right and left-back lists so it's not set in stone but that's why Smith wasn't originally in this poll.

Personally I'd have Gillespie in before Mark Wright and probably Henchoz but that's just me; it doesn't really matter either way because none of them would threaten the top of the list.

Here are all twelve, in order of appearances:

Appearances / Goals

Hughes   665 / 49
Smith   638 / 48
Hansen   620 / 14
Carragher   577 / 5
Thompson   477 / 13
Hyypia   464 / 35
Yeats   454 / 16
Lawrenson   356 / 18
Lloyd   218 / 5
Gillespie   214 / 16
Wright   210 / 9
Henchoz   205 / 0

My gripe is not with the list selection (we should only warmly thank Sarge and the people who have done the write-ups) but with the votes themselves; I absolutely love Sami but there's no way he should be so far ahead of Emlyn Hughes, Mark Lawrenson, Phil Thompson and Tommy Smith.

:wave
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:19:33 am by Plastic Basil »

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Tough one this. Emlyn and Jockie for me. Leaving out Lawrenson and Thompson was not easy but Jockie has to be there and Emlyn was an incredible player - the Gerrard of his day. Versatile, committed and with an energy that defied belief. He had a shot on him that was the epitome of the thunderbolt.
Spot on, with the same twinges about leaving Lawrenson and Thommo out.  Fantastic defenders and fantastic ball players too.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
Theres no way sami is our second best centre back ever. very good player, but ahead soem of the others? nah.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
Hansen and Hughes.

Hyppia over Hughes? sort it out lads.