Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282515 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #1480 on: July 14, 2019, 08:01:00 pm »
I was lucky, I usually go down the A34 when I do Tesco Reading, but the M4 junction was shut and our kid told me to go to the Wycombe Junction and go that way.

Apparently, Stokenchurch, just off the M40, is a great place to see Red Kites.

We used to have an owl nesting near us in Southport, I think it lived in a tree at the back, no idea what type. Used to hear it of a night and see it flying off hunting. One night, be 30 years ago now, I was driving home with our kid and we had just gone through Scarisbrick on the A570 and as you come to the wide bit where the fields are, this huge owl flew right across in front of the car just above road level, no word of a lie its wingspan was 5 or 6ft.

Was it maybe an Eagle Owl? Those owls are huge, not sure what the wing span is though.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1481 on: July 14, 2019, 08:33:44 pm »
Was it maybe an Eagle Owl? Those owls are huge, not sure what the wing span is though.

I now believe it was an Eagle Owl yes. I head my headlights on full beam and it swooped across in front of us, we both shit it at first at how big it was - I had a Capri and the span was about as wide as the car.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1482 on: July 15, 2019, 03:59:58 pm »
We hardly see Kestrels now when we go, what are the numbers like on your side?
I can't say I see a lot of Kestrels or Falcon's at all Jill, perhaps less than 1 a month except near motorways.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1483 on: July 16, 2019, 10:04:58 pm »
Walking back from the school this morning, a pair of small birds in the road feeding, brown bodies, yellow on the wings and red on their heads. Had to google them and I believe they were goldfinches.

One thing I have noticed, the magpies seem to have disappeared from our road and new birds have appeared that I never see. Seen a couple of thrush, a lot more sparrows than normal and some tits in our garden.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1484 on: July 16, 2019, 10:26:13 pm »
Difficult to tell from the pic but it's a greater spotted woodpecker from this morning.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1485 on: July 16, 2019, 10:32:26 pm »
Walking back from the school this morning, a pair of small birds in the road feeding, brown bodies, yellow on the wings and red on their heads. Had to google them and I believe they were goldfinches.

One thing I have noticed, the magpies seem to have disappeared from our road and new birds have appeared that I never see. Seen a couple of thrush, a lot more sparrows than normal and some tits in our garden.
As I was reading the description my first thought was Goldfinches. Lovely, chatty and colourful little birds. I often see them in little flocks flitting about or sitting on our TV aerial or in the tree.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1486 on: July 16, 2019, 10:50:28 pm »

Goldfinches are gorgeous they used to line up in my garden waiting to get on the feeders along the telephone lines. They and the Long-Tailed Tits are the cutest birds.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1487 on: July 17, 2019, 06:50:12 pm »

Goldfinches are gorgeous they used to line up in my garden waiting to get on the feeders along the telephone lines. They and the Long-Tailed Tits are the cutest birds.

I honestly cannot remember ever seeing them before. Beautiful birds. I felt dead guilty as they were feeding on the road and I was walking towards them. They kept flying off and landing and then as I got near they obviously flew away again.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1488 on: July 17, 2019, 08:46:25 pm »
I've got a plant that has a silver base with small yellow flowers, not sure what its called, maybe a Golden Yarrow (Sarge)? Goldfinches love them, plant them out and the Goldfinches will come to you.

Offline Thehunter1978

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1489 on: July 17, 2019, 09:58:43 pm »
Red Kite? Nice.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

The Barn Owl is my favourite bird of prey. They are just stunning. We had one in Ford Cemetery in the late 70s and you'd see it at dusk ghosting between the headstones.

The last one I saw was a couple of years ago now, hunting over Clieves Hill in West Lancs.
Red Kites are all over North Leeds and on the way out to Harrogate where I live. Must see one at least 4 or 5 times a week.

They were reintroduced into the grounds of a stately home a few years ago which is just up the road from me but they have flourished since then and you see them all over the place.

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1490 on: July 17, 2019, 10:43:26 pm »
2nd year on the trot we have Wood Pigeons nesting right under my window sill. This year its Laverne and Shirley.

Hope they fledge and grow nice and quickly, into a proud and ultimately thick as fuck adult Wood Pigeon - the only bird that will try to walk out the way of an approaching car rather than flying away, thus ending up splattered all over the road. They're balloons covered in feathers that just pop, sadly enough.

We'll miss Laverne & Shirley.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: July 18, 2019, 10:32:51 am »
2nd year on the trot we have Wood Pigeons nesting right under my window sill. This year its Laverne and Shirley.

Hope they fledge and grow nice and quickly, into a proud and ultimately thick as fuck adult Wood Pigeon - the only bird that will try to walk out the way of an approaching car rather than flying away, thus ending up splattered all over the road. They're balloons covered in feathers that just pop, sadly enough.

They are cute and you are right they do seem a bit mad but they have real personalities.  ;D

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1492 on: July 18, 2019, 11:46:57 am »
They are cute and you are right they do seem a bit mad but they have real personalities.  ;D
We have a couple that come for a feed at the same time every evening, one of them comes closer and closer to the house to get your attention if you're ignoring it, even came just inside the back kitchen door once :D. A couple were nesting in the tree at the side of the house for a couple of weeks but they've gone now and no chicks or evidence of egg remains (there were two, spotted them as you can see into the nest from the back bedroom window), what would have happened there do you think, eggs just failed to hatch or maggies maybe?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1493 on: July 18, 2019, 11:51:02 am »
Just had what I think was a SparrowHawk fly right past my window, about 10 feet away from me, did a big loop and flew away - didn't have time to take a pic. One of the things about working on the 11th floor, get to see things you normally don't see.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1494 on: July 25, 2019, 10:07:39 am »

They love shitting all over cars and making a right fucking mess. A lot grander looking than their urban scrotey cousins at least.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1495 on: July 27, 2019, 06:27:27 pm »
A Sparrowhawk has just had one of the Sparrows in our back garden. Plucked the poor fella on the lawn then ate him. Just a beak and a pile of feathers left for me to clear up.  :-\

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: July 27, 2019, 09:56:17 pm »
Down at my brothers in Wales watching and listening to buzzards fighting red kites for prey as the farmers cut the haylage.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1497 on: July 28, 2019, 09:28:25 am »
This morning, Laverne has fledged and now only Shirley is left.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: August 10, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »
Just come back from staying at my sister's in Whaley Bridge, so many birds at her place. All the Tits, Woodpecker, Nuthatches, Robins, Goldfinches, Blackbirds, Blackcap, a pair of Bullfinches yesterday. It's reminded me of how I miss not having birds in my current place. Oh and fantastic Badgers every night, so cute.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1499 on: August 31, 2019, 12:41:00 am »
A female Sparrowhawk doing what Sparrowhawks do, in the garden recently. Not perfectly clear as I was shooting through window blinds so I didn't frighten it off.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:42:59 am by Sons of pioneerS »

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1500 on: September 6, 2019, 04:46:13 pm »
Currently staying in a house in Arthog by the Mawddach estuary. There is a feeding station on the terrace opposite the dining area window and I happily sit for hours there watching the comings and goings of the regulars (Chaffinches, Blue tits, Great tits, Dunnocks, the odd Nuthatch and the occasional Great Spotted woodpecker). Sat watching this morning at quite a busy feeding period when a Sparrowhawk flashed right across straight through the crowd, not sure if it got anything but was impressive to watch.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1501 on: September 21, 2019, 07:02:35 am »
Watched a fascinating sight last night around 7pm, something I've never seen before.

Wifey and I had gone outside into the garden with a cup of tea in order to just sit and watch the Sun set over the hills to the west on a beautiful cloud free evening when we saw a small group of House Martins appear from the west over Exmoor, perhaps 20 or so, sweeping over several hundred feet up and heading and disappearing approximately East'ish.

But within less than a minute, another group appeared, then another, until it became an almost constant stream of hundreds of them, perhaps thousands all told, in small groups following each other, and this spectacle went on for a good 25 minutes as the Sun set until it became difficult to see them against the darkening sky.

Obviously they are doing their migration, though the Easterly direction was initially surprising.

Since our local ones went around a week ago doing their usual collecting on a wire before disappearing, I'm wondering if these had perhaps just come over from Ireland crossing over the western approaches to the UK in Devon, and are then working their way slightly east over the UK to a narrower part of the channel to then cross over into mainland Europe and head south to warmer climes in Africa for the winter.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1502 on: September 21, 2019, 07:42:54 am »
Your explanation must be close to the answer Gulley, sounds like a fascinating sight.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: September 21, 2019, 08:05:49 am »
Sounds ace, and I refuse to make a caravan of love reference, in respect to what sounds like a brilliant experience.

Did you stand up, stand up....

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1504 on: September 23, 2019, 11:28:28 pm »
These migrating geese have been a sight to behold the past few weeks in Sowey.  It's funny to sit off and really watch it all . Some of them don't have the proper V shape and a few of the  start straggling off . I've seen one or two of them just waiting until the next one comes along and seen a few of them trying to get into the flow of and playing catch up . It's beautiful. What I've also seen is flocks heading North ( I'd say going by the coastline towards the Isle of Man / North coast of Ireland  ) and about an hour later flocks are heading South ( I'd say heading as they fly towards East Anlgia and beyond ). It's an amazing thing to witness and reminds of the cranes going over Bordeaux on the migration . Can any of you bird heads tell me are they the same geese and why are some going North to West and some are going South to East .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1505 on: September 24, 2019, 09:51:29 am »

Can any of you bird heads tell me are they the same geese and why are some going North to West and some are going South to East .

Different breeds of geese mate and most of them are arriving here from northern Europe and America for the winter.

They all have stopping off points for feeding purposes, Martin Mere being one and Norfolk being another.

Those at Martin Mere will leave the reserve en masse every morning to graze on the scrub land along the coast road at Southport, then return at dusk to roost at the Mere.

It won't be long before the whooper swans arrive from Russia to join them.

The fields around Hesketh Bank are full of them during the winter and watching them fly in to the Mere around 4pm is an awesome site and deafening.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1506 on: September 24, 2019, 09:13:03 pm »
These migrating geese have been a sight to behold the past few weeks in Sowey. 

It was superb to see about 50 geese in a perfect V overhead very early this morning mate. A great sight of them absconding the pending cold.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1507 on: September 24, 2019, 09:48:22 pm »

Different breeds of geese mate and most of them are arriving here from northern Europe and America for the winter.

They all have stopping off points for feeding purposes, Martin Mere being one and Norfolk being another.

Those at Martin Mere will leave the reserve en masse every morning to graze on the scrub land along the coast road at Southport, then return at dusk to roost at the Mere.

It won't be long before the whooper swans arrive from Russia to join them.

The fields around Hesketh Bank are full of them during the winter and watching them fly in to the Mere around 4pm is an awesome site and deafening.

Top information. 

I've got a little joke going on with myself when I see them flying NW and then the others SE. Iam like one of must've left the iron on   ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1508 on: September 24, 2019, 09:49:37 pm »
It was superb to see about 50 geese in a perfect V overhead very early this morning mate. A great sight of them absconding the pending cold.

In Sowey ?

Totally agree when you see the perfect V formation and you can deffo see them moving faster .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1509 on: September 24, 2019, 10:00:33 pm »

Top information. 

I've got a little joke going on with myself when I see them flying NW and then the others SE. Iam like one of must've left the iron on   ;D

Or forgotten their phone charger [emoji16]

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1510 on: September 24, 2019, 10:44:47 pm »

Or forgotten their phone charger [emoji16]

Or both. The amount of times I go up and down my path when I leave ours in the morning is frightening.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1511 on: September 24, 2019, 11:02:18 pm »
In Sowey ?

Totally agree when you see the perfect V formation and you can deffo see them moving faster .
Allerton mate :)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1512 on: September 25, 2019, 08:14:09 am »
These migrating geese have been a sight to behold the past few weeks in Sowey.  It's funny to sit off and really watch it all . Some of them don't have the proper V shape and a few of the  start straggling off . I've seen one or two of them just waiting until the next one comes along and seen a few of them trying to get into the flow of and playing catch up . It's beautiful. What I've also seen is flocks heading North ( I'd say going by the coastline towards the Isle of Man / North coast of Ireland  ) and about an hour later flocks are heading South ( I'd say heading as they fly towards East Anlgia and beyond ). It's an amazing thing to witness and reminds of the cranes going over Bordeaux on the migration . Can any of you bird heads tell me are they the same geese and why are some going North to West and some are going South to East .

I got so used to seeing them when I lived over there, I'd forgotten what it is like to watch them and how noisy they were. Never see them now.

This is brilliant

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/owiwCIhc0I0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/owiwCIhc0I0</a>

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1513 on: September 25, 2019, 11:11:20 am »
I got so used to seeing them when I lived over there, I'd forgotten what it is like to watch them and how noisy they were. Never see them now.

This is brilliant

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/owiwCIhc0I0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/owiwCIhc0I0</a>

Great video and a nice bit of music by Euinaudi.

And John. I seen some fly over the park earlier when I was cycling through.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1514 on: September 26, 2019, 12:26:16 am »
I only seen one migration today in Sowey. Usually there's about four or five a day.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: September 26, 2019, 03:48:52 pm »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1516 on: October 17, 2019, 03:48:32 pm »
^^^

“Hey neighbour!”

I saw a Partridge the other day (I think) for the first time. Aha! Still haven’t worked out how to post your own photos here, they’re always too large to let me post.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1517 on: October 17, 2019, 04:27:32 pm »
I saw a Partridge the other day (I think) for the first time.

Used to have a couple of them that would come and wander around our garden each Autumn though I haven't seen them around this year yet.

This is from back in 2008..
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: October 17, 2019, 04:39:30 pm »
^^^

“Hey neighbour!”

I saw a Partridge the other day (I think) for the first time. Aha! Still haven’t worked out how to post your own photos here, they’re always too large to let me post.

I tried to post some pictures the other day but they were also too big and I have no idea how to shrink them down to size for the site.  :butt

We have Partridge in fields not far from here, but we've never had them in the garden.

We had a Grey Wagtail in this morning. A definite sign that winter is approaching. We also had a Pied Wagtail in the other day. They only come into the garden in Autumn/Winter.

I've not seen the Sparrowhawk for a while, though our local birds will be glad of that.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1519 on: October 17, 2019, 05:34:06 pm »
Used to have a couple of them that would come and wander around our garden each Autumn though I haven't seen them around this year yet.

This is from back in 2008..

Yep, very much like that, with red eyes and feet. It was in Center Parcs so quite a wooded area, never seen them in London. I have just walked past two crows gorging on a dead pigeon which is far more gritty and urban! One of the big fuckers actually flew off with the carcass in its mouth as I got closer.