Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3305339 times)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #25720 on: June 8, 2021, 08:57:31 am »
Can't wait to listen to the 2001 stuff. Anyone of my generation basically in their 30-early 40s this will be one of the greatest seasons ever. Would love if anyone has any good pictures of the Paisley night mosaics against roma.

Saving it up too. I turned 21 in January 2001. I was on a working placement at the time so we all had a bit of cash. Which basically involved us being out every weekend all weekend.

That last week almost killed us

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25721 on: June 8, 2021, 09:08:05 am »
Loving the Palace game show. Clinton Morrison comes across well to be fair, quite funny.

Neil is spot on about Fowler, Litmanen and Smicer. They just seemed to click straight away and be on the same wavelength. I think Jari had one on a plate but opted to set Fowler up who missed but all the litttle interchanges were a joy to watch.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #25722 on: June 8, 2021, 09:22:28 am »
Can't wait to listen to the 2001 stuff. Anyone of my generation basically in their 30-early 40s this will be one of the greatest seasons ever.

Indeed. I was 16/17 in that season, at college doing my A/S levels. My dad basically gave me a note to get me out of the end of year exams so we could go to Dortmund.

Brilliant, and for me, still a somewhat underrated season in our history - very much looking forward to the shows covering it.

Feels insane that it's 20 years ago, by the way.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25723 on: June 8, 2021, 10:14:43 am »
I’d just finished uni. Was living with my parents working a crap job in Stockport surrounded by prototype Phil Fodens but meant I got to go to quite a lot of games that season on my Dad’s ST.

I think Owen, Heskey and Fowler all hit 20 goals that season and they all seemed to peak at different times so we always had one of them in form.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #25724 on: June 8, 2021, 10:31:09 am »
I’d just finished uni. Was living with my parents working a crap job in Stockport surrounded by prototype Phil Fodens but meant I got to go to quite a lot of games that season on my Dad’s ST.

I think Owen, Heskey and Fowler all hit 20 goals that season and they all seemed to peak at different times so we always had one of them in form.
Rob mentioned the Ipswich game at home that we lost 0-1. Interestingly, the overriding narrative after that was that Liverpool lacked real threat without Heskey. Possibly a lazy analysis.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #25725 on: June 8, 2021, 10:43:25 am »
Can't wait to listen to the 2001 stuff. Anyone of my generation basically in their 30-early 40s this will be one of the greatest seasons ever.

I think it's arguably the greatest season for me personally (been going since 1985/86).

1987/88 was a magical season due to John Barnes individually and collectively the style and level of football the team played. However, it was tinged with disappointment based on the end of the season. Didn't go the season unbeaten when it looked possible and beaten in FA Cup Final by Wimbledon.

Istanbul and the CL run in 2004/05 was better as single thing but that season was torrid at times. Particularly the domestic competitions.

2018/19 and 2019/20 were obviously massive highlights. Winning CL and then the PL (whilst getting 97 and 99 points in consecutive seasons) should always be viewed as highlights.

However, from a personal perspective I went to the game a lot less in recent years. In 2000/01 I was early 20's and I went to virtually every home game and a fair few aways. Also managed to get tickets for League Cup and UEFA Cup finals. It was a season punctuated with highs  (and some lows) throughout. Getting that League Cup win was absolutely massive for the club. Seems strange to say but looking back it's maybe one of the most important trophies we've won in our modern history. It set us up for the rest of the season, 2 others trophies and CL qualification. I think that UEFA Cup run and the experience it gave helped in 2004/05. Lots of players still had that experience of 2000/01 and progressing against big clubs when it came to the CL run.

The end of the season was immense. Getting beat at Leeds on Good Friday was a hammer blow and it felt like the season was about to fall flat. The Goodison derby win that followed re-ignited the season. The Barcelona home win in the semi-final of the UEFA Cup is one of the most under rated nights in our recent European history. It was definitely the biggest game we'd played in Europe since returning from the European ban. I didn't make Cardiff for the FA Cup final but got to Dortmund. What a trip and day that was. The only surreal thing was how quiet it was when every got out of the stadium after the game. I think the FA Cup final win on the Saturday, travel and the madness of the UEFA Cup final had sapped all emotion out of everyone.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25726 on: June 8, 2021, 10:51:53 am »
Rob mentioned the Ipswich game at home that we lost 0-1. Interestingly, the overriding narrative after that was that Liverpool lacked real threat without Heskey. Possibly a lazy analysis.

That was mid December wasn’t it? I think Owen started the season on fire and then got injured at Derby? Heskey scored a hat trick in that game and had a very strong Autumn before the goals started to dry up a little for him in the second half of the season. Don’t think Robbie was getting much of a look in at that time so Heskey probably was our biggest threat at that time.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #25727 on: June 8, 2021, 11:03:59 am »
That was mid December wasn’t it? I think Owen started the season on fire and then got injured at Derby? Heskey scored a hat trick in that game and had a very strong Autumn before the goals started to dry up a little for him in the second half of the season. Don’t think Robbie was getting much of a look in at that time so Heskey probably was our biggest threat at that time.
Agree. It also shouldn’t be ignored that, despite the final outcomes, this side was capable of falling flat every few games. They weren’t unbeatable. The classic case-in-point was beating United and Arsenal without conceding in consecutive games and then within a week going to Middlesbrough and losing 1-0. While Houllier broadly ridded the side of the latter-day Evans habit of losing/drawing to dross, we still didn’t have enough to close in on United and Arsenal - that (almost) happened the following season.

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25728 on: June 8, 2021, 11:16:58 am »
Review stuff has been good, especially from the 'Review' people (Neil, Sean, Dan, Paul), but am I the only one missing Gutters a bit? - I thought there were meant to be three a week, but seems like there hasn't been one for a while. I understand wanting to do lookback stuff and specials like 2001 when there are no games, but personally I'd still like as much current stuff as possible, especially when it's a big summer for renewing the squad.
There's just a bit of a breath this week, let it percolate a bit. So we are looking like:

Wednesday 9th
Saturday 12th
Tuesday 15th
Thursday 17th
Sunday 20th

As Gutters.

Also the Friday Night video is now on transfers. Talking Reds will be transfer-y and we are looking at getting another few bits in on audio and video. TAW itself next Monday will transfer/squad led unless Liverpool decide to sell Anfield or something.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #25729 on: June 8, 2021, 11:22:09 am »
What a trip and day that was. The only surreal thing was how quiet it was when every got out of the stadium after the game. I think the FA Cup final win on the Saturday, travel and the madness of the UEFA Cup final had sapped all emotion out of everyone.
Yep, I remember that too. It was just sheer exhaustion. There were fans, head in hands unable to watch anymore, under the stand on the concourse whilst the game was on. It was a bit like Istanbul in a way. That had a surreal feel on the buses back to the city.

On both occasions though, the reviving qualities of a couple of post-match ales meant it wasn’t quiet for long.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #25730 on: June 8, 2021, 07:46:36 pm »
I'd watch the film version of Three Priests in Bucharest.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #25731 on: June 8, 2021, 08:00:51 pm »
Great interview with Gary Mac
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #25732 on: June 9, 2021, 10:22:59 am »
2001 Fans Stories is superb.

Getting the dog collars on in Rome to get a bevvy is glorious  ;D. Love all these kinds of anecdotes.

Made me want to go back and revisit Nicky Allt's book 'The Boys From The Mersey'.

Brilliant stuff.
Twitter | Blog

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #25733 on: June 9, 2021, 01:47:50 pm »
The latest player profile, is a certain Jordan Henderson loving these profiles.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25734 on: June 9, 2021, 08:29:10 pm »
There's just a bit of a breath this week, let it percolate a bit. So we are looking like:

Wednesday 9th
Saturday 12th
Tuesday 15th
Thursday 17th
Sunday 20th

As Gutters.

Also the Friday Night video is now on transfers. Talking Reds will be transfer-y and we are looking at getting another few bits in on audio and video. TAW itself next Monday will transfer/squad led unless Liverpool decide to sell Anfield or something.

Sound, thanks.

Alex Miller show was very insightful, especially the earlier bits about his role under Houllier.

Halfway through the Henderson show and it's brilliant - Kevin Ball especially was superb.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25735 on: June 9, 2021, 08:30:37 pm »
Some excellent off season content so far!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25736 on: June 10, 2021, 02:54:32 am »
Some really great stuff - absolutely superb. There must have been a spike in Youtube viewings this week as every Liverpool fan has gone to watch obscure European and League cup aways not seen for for decades  ;D

Nicky Barmby scored some screamers in the UEFA  :champ

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #25737 on: June 10, 2021, 08:54:16 am »
Some really great stuff - absolutely superb. There must have been a spike in Youtube viewings this week as every Liverpool fan has gone to watch obscure European and League cup aways not seen for for decades  ;D

Haha. Yes, I have been looking back at a few big moments.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25738 on: June 10, 2021, 09:34:21 am »
Holy crap.

Just had a look at the DVD review on Amazon and it's over £50.

My old man had the VHS back in the day. Christ. £50

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #25739 on: June 10, 2021, 10:51:26 am »
Holy crap.

Pretty sure I had it on DVD and gave it away, along with a pile of others.

Feels like an error now.
Twitter | Blog

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25740 on: June 11, 2021, 09:10:55 am »
The Clinton Morrison interview was brilliant.

I was on the Kop that night, baying for blood as a 21 year old full of drink.
I know he never said "I'm better than Michael Owen" but I honestly bristled when I heard he was going to be on. Brilliant as ever from Gibbo.

The stuff around 2001 and the profile on Henderson has been nothing short of brilliant. I'm not so foolish to think this has been thrown together in the last week or so. It's undoubtedly taken months (in fact I'm 99% certain Kev Walsh says "last year in Rome").

Just wanted to say a massive well done to all involved. Linzi Boyle was probably a big part of sorting it all while she was still there I'm sure.

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #25741 on: June 11, 2021, 10:37:09 am »
The Clinton Morrison interview was brilliant.

I was on the Kop that night, baying for blood as a 21 year old full of drink.
I know he never said "I'm better than Michael Owen" but I honestly bristled when I heard he was going to be on. Brilliant as ever from Gibbo.

The stuff around 2001 and the profile on Henderson has been nothing short of brilliant. I'm not so foolish to think this has been thrown together in the last week or so. It's undoubtedly taken months (in fact I'm 99% certain Kev Walsh says "last year in Rome").

Just wanted to say a massive well done to all involved. Linzi Boyle was probably a big part of sorting it all while she was still there I'm sure.

:lmao

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25742 on: June 11, 2021, 10:39:38 am »
:lmao

They'll be plenty who don't get my ever so subtle hilarity

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #25743 on: June 12, 2021, 08:16:37 am »
Holy crap.

The old season review DVDs are pretty pricey these days especially since you can only get them on the secondary market and those sellers on Amazon know how to jack the prices up on things.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #25744 on: June 12, 2021, 10:41:35 am »
Holy crap.

I had it on VHS. Must have watched it a ton of times that summer.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #25745 on: June 12, 2021, 11:11:27 am »
I often think the Alves game meant more to me than Istanbul. Well, the culmination of that whole season really. I started supporting in 91 so had only ever seen us trading on past glories as a 'top' team, even though we just weren't good enough to be one. Still stuck in our old ways for much of the 90's with a few players still left from Kenny's reign. That cup win felt like it was ours (the younger generation - I was 20 in 2001). The real turning point in shaking the past from our shoulders with only the future as a modern team to really look forward to. The nerves of Barcelona at Anfield will always stay with me. And the elation of Owens goal against Arsenal. Plus I could drink a shit load more back then. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:16:12 am by meady1981 »

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25746 on: June 12, 2021, 01:17:22 pm »
Fans stories podcast is just superb. Could've gone on for double the time. One of the best
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25747 on: June 12, 2021, 01:54:35 pm »
So much great content at the minute but the Henderson profile stood out to me. Especially the first part with Kevin Ball who added some many little snippets about what he was like as a kid. Fabulous stuff

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #25748 on: June 12, 2021, 02:12:21 pm »
I was 11 for the FA cup final in '01. My third LFC match and how me dad managed to get us tickets I'll never know.

Listened to the cup final review yesterday and just smiled all the way through. How we won it I'll never know. Henchoz saying he never intended to save it, just make himself as big as possible had me in stitches!

What a day. What a week. Thank you to everyone who was involved in the recording, it was perfect!

I bloody love this football club!

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25749 on: June 14, 2021, 03:44:31 pm »
Think the wrong pro view has been uploaded? It’s the post villa defeat one

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25750 on: June 14, 2021, 07:59:59 pm »
Think the wrong pro view has been uploaded? It’s the post villa defeat one

Seems sorted now on the app at least

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #25751 on: June 15, 2021, 07:50:10 pm »
Klopps summer, transfer shows, the latest Pro View re: Gini

Now we're talking!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #25752 on: June 15, 2021, 09:02:04 pm »
Thanks to Neil for mentioning the Phil Scraton thread. For anyone who listened to the podcasts and wants to contribute the thread is here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=347779.0
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25753 on: June 15, 2021, 11:09:22 pm »
^ what show was that on?

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #25754 on: June 16, 2021, 08:46:15 am »
Following on from the free stadium show, I’d like to hear an in depth show on future expansion from people with knowledge of all the facets of how these things get built. You get all the usual wild shouts at this stage about making everything bigger (without any logistical thought about the space and impact on the area) but it’s obviously something that’s going to be extremely hard to do with the other two stands. What kind of options are there (from a architects point of view?), how would the club go about purchasing the houses behind the SKD, is that even a viable option in respect to the people who live there? How would going to 70k affect the local area and would the council even allow it? What are the financial benefits of going above 61k this seems to be the sweet spot for most stadia.
I personally don’t think FSG will go any bigger but are they future proofing the area behind the Kop etc?

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #25755 on: June 16, 2021, 09:59:25 am »
I personally don’t think FSG will go any bigger but are they future proofing the area behind the Kop etc?

Not even for the mooted 5-tier Dunkin' Donuts Kop and triple height main stand with tube slide exit?

Yes, your historic contributions to the Anfield redevelopment thread has apparently burned itself in to my brain.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25756 on: June 16, 2021, 10:51:00 am »
Travel is the largest thing in my mind. Clearly as the stadium gets bigger there's a bigger impact on how people get to (and more importantly) from the ground. The old disused Canada Dock line should be modernised and put into use

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #25757 on: June 16, 2021, 11:55:17 am »
Not even for the mooted 5-tier Dunkin' Donuts Kop and triple height main stand with tube slide exit?

Yes, your historic contributions to the Anfield redevelopment thread has apparently burned itself in to my brain.

As Meady1981's lawyer, I'd like to point out that my client never met or was ever in contact with former Mayor Anderson, regarding planning permission and contracts obtaining to plans for a 90k seater Kop. No money or food ever changed hands and any work carried out by him was never ever done under duress.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25758 on: June 16, 2021, 01:14:40 pm »
Good work from Gibbo with his Partridge reference in the fixtures chat. Lovely stuff.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #25759 on: June 16, 2021, 02:14:22 pm »
Good work from Gibbo with his Partridge reference in the fixtures chat. Lovely stuff.

Haha yes, although I was disappointed by the lack of response to it! This country.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."