Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 758668 times)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #1920 on: May 15, 2018, 06:33:11 pm »
There's a little story on the BBC about Alex getting 2 tickets to the final for a dad and his little laddie. What an absolute gem we have at our club.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1921 on: May 15, 2018, 06:33:39 pm »
There's a little story on the BBC about Alex getting 2 tickets to the final for a dad and his little laddie. What an absolute gem we have at our club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44121606
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1922 on: May 15, 2018, 07:32:18 pm »
Lovely story - so humble

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1924 on: May 15, 2018, 08:17:59 pm »
Good on him! :)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1925 on: May 15, 2018, 08:19:00 pm »
Good lad. Great touch with getting the kid tickets. Loads of examples this year of him doing stuff he doesn't have to do. Seems to get the club. Remember him doing a great job shielding Coutinho from some hostile questioning from Geoff Shreeves early on in the year. Reckon him and Van Dijk at some point will need to sort out who gets the armband after Jordan.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1926 on: May 15, 2018, 08:33:55 pm »
Very sad that he's not playing and he would have loved to been at the World Cup.

Next year he can look forward to further improvement and winning the league with us.
#JFT97

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1927 on: May 16, 2018, 02:41:17 pm »
Apprently ITV wanted him to be a pundit for the World Cup but Liverpool said no as it's not good for his rehabilitation.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1928 on: May 16, 2018, 02:56:08 pm »
Apprently ITV wanted him to be a pundit for the World Cup but Liverpool said no as it's not good for his rehabilitation.

Good, he needs to concentrate on his recovery and rehabilitation.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1930 on: May 21, 2018, 12:09:13 am »
A man of many talents (Instagram:D

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1931 on: May 21, 2018, 12:12:28 am »
And here I thought my man crush couldn't get any bigger. I'm just a sucker for musicians.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1932 on: July 14, 2018, 05:09:33 am »
I remembered this article today and my reply to it.
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3191689/how-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-rugby-background-influences-his-playing-style

I agree that sports can influence each other. That instinctively you react to things in a similar way due to some form of muscle memory perhaps. The example I always use is Skrtel backing away from players running at him. He is the center back I have most seen do this for Liverpool and the fact he was a ice hockey player at a high level makes sense. There is data to support that as he always led the side in blocks and there was video to support it too, plus my own vivid nightmares if they can ever be downloaded and mass viewed :D

However, this article reads as someone who has discovered AoC played rugby and decided to apply in a broad manner where the two sports would impact each other without doing the most basic of tests on the validity of what he was saying. And it's not hard to do. He does't pass forward, play through balls, only runs with the ball and passes sideways - the first every touch video I saw of him destroys that idea. The one of Southampton shows him run with the ball maybe twice, play about 20 forward passes, 6 through balls, and 5 additional penetrative passes.

When you look at data, as I did in the OP, in terms of penetrative and creative passing, AoC comes out as one of the top performers across both Liverpool and Arsenal in all categories. So in terms of how well his theory stands up - it doesn't - it's bollocks.

I can only assume it's some form of confirmation bias where he imagined the job of winger in football as running down the wing and then crossing (or passing sideways as he calls it). Then looking at the role in rugby and thinking "meh, that's the same so I am right". It seems like there is a lot of hate on AoC at the moment from I suspect underwhelmed Liverpool fans, rejected Chelsea fans and bitter Arsenal fans who didn't want him to go. Therefore this is a hatchet job with a target audience.

That article really didn't age well.

ESPN, if you listening, you are the biggest sports site in the world. But it seems not a single one of you understand the game of football. If you want to avoid a shit show like that article ever disgracing your site again, let RAWK know and we will give you a list of journos names who actually understand the game at even a basic level who might help.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1933 on: July 14, 2018, 05:33:13 am »
I think the cross-sport-training point can be stretched too far, though, as well. Training environment at the young ages also has an effect - the article mentions Mousa Dembele and his lack of shooting being attributed to how he played football on basketball courts as a kid and so had to score by walking the ball up to the goal. With Skrtel, I could totally get your point about ice hockey (I don't know enough about it), but there's also the fact that in the former Czechoslovakia, and after it broke up, the game was built around a stopper/sweeper system, and Skrtel's actions looked to me always to have been the mentality of a sweeper, the eternal covering defender - and under Brendan at least, it didn't surprise me at the time that his best form came when he was playing the de facto sweeper to Lucas' stopper when we played that 3-4-2-1 formation (the only time we were defensively solid under Brendan).

For Oxlade, I could see the physicality of Rugby enhancing his direct running, but I think the author of that article stretched the point too much when he commented on his lack of penetrative passing, given that he was, at the time, playing for one of the most lateral-passing sides of the modern era in Arsenal :D

But you're right - nurture as much as nature sets the parameters around which way players will go as they develop, and cross-sport-participation probably feeds into that - but certainly not as much as that article writer wanted people to believe.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline steingmo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1934 on: July 15, 2018, 12:20:18 pm »
he's class

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: July 16, 2018, 04:22:56 am »
Haven't really followed our pre-season so far (for obvious reason) What is Ox current injury situation, is he already back to training yet or even took part in the pre-season?
Believer

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1936 on: July 16, 2018, 05:30:58 am »
Haven't really followed our pre-season so far (for obvious reason) What is Ox current injury situation, is he already back to training yet or even took part in the pre-season?

Still in rehab. Not sure whether it was ACL or not but I don't believe he's back in training, though he is well and truly gymming it up.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1937 on: July 16, 2018, 05:56:42 am »

Talks of him being back around Christmas time.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1938 on: July 16, 2018, 07:02:18 am »
Does anyone know what his actual injury ended up being in the end?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1939 on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:36 am »
Talks of him being back around Christmas time.

Thats +1 for jan transfer window.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1940 on: July 16, 2018, 02:45:47 pm »
I was gutted when the Ox went down against Roma, I felt there and then that it would come back to bite us in the CL final. Obviously Salah being injured had a massive impact as well, but had the Ox been on the pitch in Kiev, I think we'd currently be European champions. That's not a knock on Henderson, Milner or Wijnaldum, all of whom I like as players, but Alex is just something totally different, with his ability to beat people and smash one in from 25 yards. He was key to our victories against City. I can't wait until he's back fit and firing again.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1941 on: July 16, 2018, 02:54:26 pm »
Does anyone know what his actual injury ended up being in the end?

No, it was never clarified. Most believe, due to the timeline of a return in November (at least a return to full training), that it probably wasn't the ACL.

Based on his Instagram posting today, looks like he's back at Melwood in the gym today (literally back on the bike) after a week or so in London.

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1943 on: July 18, 2018, 06:02:23 pm »
Such a shame he is going to miss the entire season. Let's hope he comes back even stronger was brilliant before the injury! Good luck Ox.   :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: July 18, 2018, 06:03:18 pm »
Not surprised but gutted all the same.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: July 18, 2018, 06:03:34 pm »
Fucks sake, but rather late than come back early and be a crock from then on out

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1946 on: July 18, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
That's a huge blow.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1947 on: July 18, 2018, 06:04:24 pm »
I'm surprised the club let Wilson go on loan with this in mind. Gutted for him. Good luck to him in his recovery.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1948 on: July 18, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »
Gutted for him. The rumours of 9 months were true then. Fekir a must now surely?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1949 on: July 18, 2018, 06:06:21 pm »
wow. i dint see that coming. Given the photos of him on a bike etc. I was thinking Christmas.

If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: July 18, 2018, 06:06:22 pm »
will be a huge miss, added so much to the team...but if it means he returns stronger, then it is worth the wait.

get well soon Ox!!!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1951 on: July 18, 2018, 06:06:48 pm »
Absolutely gutted for the lad, at least we can be confident that he has the mental strength to pull through this. All the best in your recovery Alex, YNWA.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1952 on: July 18, 2018, 06:07:17 pm »
Definitely a massive blow. Gutted for him too, was really coming into his own in our midfield last season and seeing him with Fabinho and Keita was something I was really looking forward to seeing... Will just have to wait a bit longer, I guess!

Absolutely sure the club will do the right thing and get him ready before even thinking about playing, rather than rushing him into the team though. Here's hoping he smashes 2019/20!

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #1953 on: July 18, 2018, 06:07:40 pm »
Such a shame, he was really hitting his stride for us. Seems a top lad, so got all the faith he'll come back firing.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: July 18, 2018, 06:09:35 pm »
I'm so devastated for him.

He must be gutted but the team and the management must be doing everything they can to keep his spirits up. Very suprised to see him off crutches given just how much damage was done

He'll come back strong from this, top lad and a brilliant player

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1955 on: July 18, 2018, 06:09:39 pm »
Poor guy.
Hope he recovers well, we’ll be waiting for him.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1956 on: July 18, 2018, 06:10:20 pm »
Well that sucks. Poor Ox. Still, I have faith he'll come back firing.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1957 on: July 18, 2018, 06:12:22 pm »
Felt sick reading that so unfortunate for the lad
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1958 on: July 18, 2018, 06:12:54 pm »
That is devastating news, even 9 months would've had him coming back Jan/Feb so this will be a full year out. Just hope he can come back stronger from this.

YNWA
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1959 on: July 18, 2018, 06:13:13 pm »
Gutted for him, hopefully he comes back strong.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.