The Liverpool FC Forum > The History Board - 1892 to 1994

Liverpool in the Roaring Twenties: part three

(1/7) > >>

Wooltonian brings us the third part of his great series looking back at Liverpool in the Twenties. In this episode Everton, Blackburn and Sheffield United visit Anfield:

Match 3

Peter is now 14. Tutankhamen’s tomb is discovered. Ulysses by James Joyce is published. Christine's (Spartacus's) Nan goes on a pre-season tour. Music of the Day: click here

Frank Hornby, inventor of the world’s most famous toy was born in 1863 at 77 Copperas Hill, Liverpool.

To amuse his sons, Hornby made a toy crane out of perforated metal strips held together with nuts and bolts. The crane could be dismantled and the parts used to make different models. Hornby saw a future for this versatile toy and set to work producing it for the mass market.

Hornby began to manufacture his own parts in a small one-room factory at 10-12 Duke Street. He later took premises in Tuebrook but these soon proved too small. He then bought up 5 acres of land in the Old Swan area of Liverpool. It was here the Binns Road factory opened in 1914. This became the company headquarters for more than 60 years.

By 1922 Meccano kits of various sizes and costs were available. At its peak the Meccano system consisted of over three hundred pieces and inspired a generation of boys to take up technical careers.

After the First World War Hornby had also began making clockwork trains. The first Hornby railway engines were sold in 1920 as construction kits. By 1925 all Hornby trains and accessories were sold ready-assembled. These train sets were the ultimate child’s toy and are still very popular today. The products of Binns Road were phenomenally successful. Frank Hornby was a visionary in toy development and production, producing three of the most popular lines of toys in the twentieth century. During the 1920s Meccano Ltd was the biggest toy manufacturer in Britain. In its heyday Meccano also had factories in Speke and Aintree.

1922 Liverpool vs Everton

Headlines of the day
“Amazing Derby Game led To Another Chapter In Fives”
“Bromilow’s Goal was one of Six”
“Chambers in Merry Mood, Turns Deficit into Colossal Victory”  

“Derby Day”! All roads lead to Anfield and a great game was in prospect. It will be good news to all sports lovers to learn that four benefit matches have been granted to “Four of the best and Brightest” stars in the Liverpool camp:
Pool v Cardiff, October 21st, Bill Lacey’s benefit
Pool v Oldham, December 26th, Elisha Scott’s benefit
Pool v Middlesbrough, January 27th, D MacKinlay’s benefit
Pool v Sheffield United, March 30th, Ephraim Longworth’s benefit

All games to be played at Anfield.

The authorities have given permission for collections to be taken on the streets before and after games. And it is worthy of special note, that all collections will be pooled by the players. Thus they are united in football play and in benefit pay.

Boxes at the turnstiles will call to spectators at each of the four matches, and I am opening a subscription list in the columns of the Echo, as the quartet benefit is an uncommon one and I know many people will be anxious to show their appreciation in the usual way.  Also note, there is a junior Derby Day on Wednesday, when, at Anfield the two Liverpool teams will meet in deadly earnest.

Liverpool line up


Longworth    McKinlay

McNab   Wadsworth   Bromilow

Lacey  Forshaw  Johnson  Chambers  Hopkin

It was an admirable day for such a feastful game as Liverpool take on Everton at Anfield today.  The Anfielders have had some enormous attendances in their history, notably the West Ham Cup tie midweek, but today’s attendance can only be described as MASSIVE. I would estimate the gate was worth at least £3500, a pretty sum in the times of depression.

The crowd was all agog with excitement, for they had much to discuss in view of Liverpool’s defeat last week at Burnley and Everton’s double win over Cardiff.  Johnson was back in for Shone and McKinlay was ready to resume normal service at the back. Everton had remained unchanged from the team that had leapt to prominence in the last fortnight.

Referee Andrews had been awarded this match as he was recognised by all as a very strong referee. Players knew that he would stand no-nonsense, not that we ever get much “nonsense” nowadays in our Derby games. Our games were more noted for their Battle-type atmosphere where players made from granite plied their trade. The day was gloriously fine, but all assembled knew this was the calm before the storm.

The Anfield pitch was looking as good as it ever has before kick off, but I would think it would have as many scars as the players at full time. As usual there was a big early raid on the Kemlyn Road stand, which offers so good and close a view as one can get anywhere in the country. The buzz around the Spion Kop, was that Liverpool would be closing the gap in Derby History this game and the state of the market before kick off read:

Liverpool 12 wins, Everton 20 wins with 12 draws

The crowd had plenty to keep them interested before the battle commenced. There were the boys who ignored the barbed wire to get in. There was the Postal band playing a merry jingle and there was also the latest method adopted for removing young boys from the top to the bottom of the kop. The assembled dockers had formed their own umbrella method, by passing the lads over the top of heads, so the wee lads could reach their final destination by the wall at the front.

Liverpool won the toss, thus ensuring they attacked their beloved Kop in the second half and also left Fern to be blinded by the mid afternoon sun, which was dazzling today. At once Everton broke forward with Chedgzoy racing down the wing, his cross however was well beyond McDonald and Fleetwood who were both on their backsides after slipping on the dewy surface, but neither had come to any serious harm. Wadsworth revelled in his third game in eight days and his leading was particularly useful.

The sun was effecting both sides, but the extreme wingers dancing in the shadows, made merry while the sun shone. Chedgzoy broke away again, a neat pass to Forbes saw the little Scottie back heel a corker to Harrison and in doing so left McNab dumbfounded, But Harrison’s strike on goal was well saved by Scott.  For the first few minutes all the action was on this side as Hopkin was also having one of his better days on the left wing. He was putting in crosses of great accuracy at every opportunity.

The first was headed on top of the net by Johnson, the following one just wide by Chambers. The third appeared to be punched backward by Johnson for Forshaw to hit the net, but the referee had spotted the dastardly deed. Both goalkeepers in these early stages were very busy indeed. Ferns was tested by Chambers and Forshaw within minutes, but from the break of the latter effort Fleetwood sent a long range pile driver heading toward Scott. It was uncanny how Scott made great efforts look ordinary, one step to the left and the ball nestled in his grasp, no matter how fast it was approaching.

McNab was showing some pace when he thundered a shot at the Everton goal only for it to be blocked. When the ball bounced clear he had to chase Harrison the length of the park to stop him from having a shot at the other end. Johnson broke through the centre, only for Everton to punt it immediately to Williams who gave McNab even more exercise, before he could catch his breath again.

The pace of this game was magnificent. Some idea of the enthusiasm being shown, in all quarters of the pitch, saw Longworth dribbling in the centre of the field against Fleetwood. Settle down Ephraim, you’ll get us all confused. Next came a stunning drive from Irvine and then in two minutes the game took a deliberate turn.

Liverpool were right on the doorstep of success, thanks to a successful feint from Forshaw. He hammered the ball across to the middle and Johnson looked sure to score until Fern and he collided with a mighty crunch. McDonald walloped the ball clear over the stands into Mrs Molyneux’s back garden in Kemlyn road. She would return the ball later, while complaining that it had scared one of her rabbits half to death. No stew tonight then.

From another thunderous boot up field minutes later, Williams broke clear and after a wonderful display of zig zag football, Williams poked it home from close range. Forbes had a hand in the goal and to my mind, the goal first arose from a missed back pass by McKinlay. Secondly through Scott being charged out of position and possession of the ball. The time of the first goal was 17 minutes, although it seemed like half an hour in all the excitement of the early stages.

The enthusiasm of the Everton folk in the Stanley Park End rose to fever pitch. Liverpool on the other hand were startled at the unexpected turn of events. Chambers was as wide in the manner that Chedgzoy was over the bar in the next two forays. Considering the tackles that had been seen today, it was a minor miracle there had been no injuries so far, but within minutes, Raitt, Bromilow and Harrison all suffered battle wounds. Tommy Fleetwood escaped all knocks and regularly ploughed through like a veritable youngster. But Peacock soon became the next casualty.

It was indeed a man's game.

Lacey was the next player to be flattened by a rough tackle by McDonald, but the referee decided this time it was serious enough to award a free kick. MacKinlay’s bullet hit McDonald squarely on the chest, which saw him take a breather on his backside, before the ball was cleared by Fleetwood.

Judged by the amusement on Fleetwood’s face when Lacey missed a perfect sitter minutes later, he was lucky to have survived his mistake. This should have been the leveller, but to be quite candid, Liverpool had been drafting too ornate plans to break the Everton defence, instead of shooting when the opportunity arose. Everyone enjoyed watching the wing combination in league with the half-back, but one wanted to know when there would be a definite ending to one of these runs. Johnson was thinking about shooting when he was indulged in a pitch-and-toss affair. He escaped injury yet it seemed that he was out of luck, as when Lacey took advantage of a slip by McDonald, the Irishman’s pass being too square for Johnson to gather.

Liverpool were in the ascendancy for the final stages of the first half and Bromilow had a beautiful drive swing just outside the post. It was Bromilow’s birthday today and he wished for no finer present than a goal against the old foe. Forshaw also came close in the later stages, but he too was thwarted. Just before the whistle, the referee called a halt to play, to have a word with Hart and McNab. Manslaughter was forgivable, but these two were going at it like murderers. Raitt also got a piece of the referee’s mind before he left the park for half time after an earlier tackle on Hopkin.

Half Time Score: Liverpool 0 Everton 1
Still twenty two on the park. Not bad, considering events made the battle of Waterloo look timid.

At the beginning of the second half Raitt decided to trip Chambers to stop him advancing. The referee gave him what we assume was his final caution. From the free kick Forshaw hit a sparkling left foot drive that went inches over. Two minutes later, Raitt decided to test the referee’s mettle, when once again, he tripped Chambers as he went forward. I can only assume it was his apology to Chambers that saved him from being asked to leave the park. As once again, the referee gave him his final, final warning.

From this Chambers scored in a curious way. I will try and explain from start to finish.

Chambers takes his own free kick and passes to an offside Hopkin. Hopkin was allowed to continue and smashed his cross into Raitt’s face which went for a corner. Hopkins placed the corner and quickly crossed to the near post where Chambers was waiting. Chambers flick on header hits the bar. The ball comes off the bar, but in trying to catch it, Fern punched the ball into his own net. In his joy at equalising, Chambers swung on to one of the uprights and hung on to it in a manner of a music hall horizontal bar performer. After witnessing this, I would suggest footballers leave acts like that on the circus circuit.

The fans at both ends now were reaching fever pitch before the tension was raised further as Raitt tested the patience of Reds fans and the referee once again. Another stiff talking to by the referee, but this time including a finger pointed at the changing rooms. We thought he had been given his marching orders, but apparently Referee Andrews, he who would stand “No-Nonsense” had actually issued his final, final, final last warning.

Even I was curious now, what Raitt would do next. Would assassinating the linesman do the trick? He obviously had plans to go out early tonight and needed an early bath.

Two Chambers headers both came close, before a third cross was back headed by Forshaw into the path of McNab. He had all along been running ahead to make a sixth forward and now he found himself with a cross-grained shot and quite a good angle on goal. He fired in a ferocious shot, that hit the back of the net before Ferns had moved an inch. He celebrated his goal by leaping for joy and completing a Scottish Hornpipe.

Editors note: please don’t ask, I haven’t a clue.

Needless to say, Liverpool now played with a confidence that was quite foreign to them prior to the equalising goal had arrived. The result was both McDonald and Raitt had a lot of work on their plates. McDonald cut across Forshaw and saved a certain goal. Raitt headed one off the line. At this time the Liverpool defence started to take liberties, all saw themselves as attackers and often left McKinlay alone at the back. On one of these occasions McKinlay passed back to Scott with such venom, it brought a magnificent save out of Elisha. Scott was not amused by the accompanying wink and nod.

The next move was the move of the game. Lacey played a ball up to Johnson, who headed to Chambers. Chambers pushed the ball wide for the advancing Lacey. Lacey controlled the ball and played it back into the path of Chambers. “Smiler” Chambers thumped the ball home. His grin was as big as a Cheshire cat.

Two minutes later “Smiler” was at it again this time he hit a ball with so much swerve, Fern was a yard away from where the ball crossed the line. McNab received a late caution when he put Hart off the pitch. Hart’s lightweight frame was no match for McNab when going full steam. Bromilow and Hart both finished the game hobbling doe to their war wounds, but pain was forgotten as the Birthday Boy Bromilow burst forward to score Liverpool’s fifth, when keeper Fern should really have caught the ball.

The crowd, following up on the suggestion in BEE’s Comments a fortnight ago, started the new chant of the Kop.

One Two, Three Four Five
One Two Three Four, FIVE-Nil

Although it seemed they had forgotten the earlier goal, hadn’t we all, it had seemed such a long time ago since Everton where taking part in this Derby.

Final Score: Liverpool 5 Everton 1

Comments of the day included:
Progress to the ground today, if not exactly rapid, was fairly swift. The old days of the four-wheelers are gone and we shall have penny tram fares soon. As the ancients would say, “Speed the Plough”

Written by F.E.H. in the Football Echo:
MacKinlay’s back pass to Scott in the second half was probably the most powerful shot of the match, but I suppose you could forgive him after his earlier lightweight pass that led to Everton’s first goal. The goal was greeted with mixed emotions and a combined mix of joy and resentment was said to be heard at the Pier Head. Everton’s only glimmer of hope was supplied by the tireless efforts of the old war horse Fleetwood.

And now for the harmless necessary jingle. Thus it is:

The champions and their neighbours came bounding on the ground,
They smiled like Smiler to see so many folks around,
“If all this wealth belonged to us”! - and then they simply frowned.

The player, once he’s started, knows the first half’s not the whole
He never looks behind him, but he knows that there’s a goal
And when he’s lost his bonus he cries, “god bless my Soul”

Though the money doesn’t matter, once the game is on the wing,
Yet the dropping of a quidlet leaves a nasty little sting,
And when he counts his wages, with the comforts that they bring,
He says “To hell with Hamlet, for the play is not the thing”

These are idle, halting verses, and their meaning may be vague
The reader may disdain them as a man abhors the plague
But the rambling, restless rhythm conveys a message true
That the better side should conquer, whether it be Red or Blue

News of Christine's Nan going on the first ever pre-season tour to Paris has its doubters ...

Match 4

Peter 15. Turkey becomes a republic following the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire. Pancho Villa, one of the leaders of the Mexican revolution, is assassinated. Liverpool-Southport ferries stopped due to silting up of channels into Pier area. Music of the Day: click here

Matt McQueen becomes Liverpool's new manager.

1923 Liverpool vs Blackburn Rovers

Headlines of the Day
"Liverpool Swamp Blackburn Rovers"
"Forshaw Performs Hat-trick, Rodgers Carried Off"  

Liverpool line up


Longworth    MacKinlay
MacNabb   W Wadsworth   Pratt
Lacey  Forshaw  Johnson  Beadles  Hopkin

Welcome to sunny Anfield, we hope you’ve brought your bucket and spade. Today there was a league battle at Anfield and the game was once again blessed with good weather, so there was another enormous gathering around all quarters of the ground. The Liverpool side today includes Pratt of Bradford City, owing to the absence of Bromilow and Chambers, being engaged at Newcastle in the inter-league match. The selection of Beadles at inside left was a very late decision by the board.
Today was the first occasion that Mr Matt McQueen had been officiating as players' manager and he received a warm welcome from board, players and fans alike. I would like to join in, in wishing him a cordial welcome and good luck. Blackburn as it was stated on the eve of the game, were in a fix with their selection due to a succession of injuries.

Liverpool won the toss on a ground that resembled Ainsdale beach more than Anfield. Due to heavy rain all week the pitch had been heavily sanded. On the first attack, Forshaw was unlucky as his shot at goal was not true. A pity as his useful bit of dribbling between half way and the edge of the box, deserved better. Beadles who had been moved to inside left position late and Pratt were both testing the old veteran Rodgers early on and their pace was giving him trouble.

Liverpool opened the game in confident fashion. Three times they gained a corner kick and the third time paid for all. Lacey floated a beautiful cross on the third occasion and up rose Forshaw, to glance his header just wide of Sewell’s outstretched right hand. The ball appeared to be going wide and indeed Beadles appeared quite vexed when he could not reach the ball to make sure. However there must have been enough spin applied on the ball to see it sneak just inside the post. Forshaw celebrated his goal, while curiously Beadles sulked. Perhaps he had something previously planned for the goal bonus the players enjoyed. With only five minutes played, Liverpool were one up, happy days.

Blackburn were spurned on to increase their efforts and when Hodkinson raced Longworth down the flank and centred to Rodgers. Scott seemed to be in a hopeless position, but as always he went to ground and smothered the cross. As Scott cleared his lines, after a quick ball to the left, the referee stopped the game as he noticed an injury to MacKinlay. He had sprained his knee in an attempt to keep the ball in play near the touch line. Rodgers was quickly in the game once again with a twisting run and a fast shot, that had so much swerve, it was swinging away from Scott. However, the Irishman, as usual, flung himself at full stretch and comfortably saved and held the ball. I cant help thinking it would have been a magnificent save to have turned the ball around the upright, but as usual, Scott’s standards far exceeded any other keepers.
Blackburn had two further attacks shortly after. The first stopped by Elisha diving at Dawson’s feet. The second ended when Elisha took the ball off the top of McKay’s head. Funny, McKay must have pulled a muscle in his neck heading fresh air, I thought. But then the balance of play swung firmly in Liverpool’s direction.

Liverpool without undue exertion, did a lot of attacking over the next 5 minutes and while Crawley was sound in defence, Walmsley looked very uncertain. Pratt, from Bradford City, was both strong in the air and with his passes and he also dared to take a flyer from outside the box. Sadly it was a good half yard above the crossbar. MacKinlay was just to trifle too strong hereabouts, yet his general footwork was exceptionally good, and his forward rushes up the park were very helpful. As a consequence, Poole and Walmsley were having a tough time and when MacKinlay fired just wide, he showed signs of coming to his best, because there was a tremendous sting in the shot. The Rovers attacks continued, but only came in single file and at sporadic intervals. W Wadsworth was so relaxed, he could have afforded to light a woodbine and watch the clouds pass by. However on one occasion when McKay opened the play to the extent of tossing the ball to the outside right, Hardy should have done better than make … “a woeful waste of a wilful want” (Twenties' reporting at it’s best).

On the next attack Liverpool netted. Johnson broke clear and as he approached the goal markings, received a big push in the back from Reilly. However he managed to stay on his feet and release a thunderbolt. Goal? No the referee appeared to point for a foul. Then when Blackburn took the free kick, we were left confused. Somehow, someone had adjudged Johnson offside. It certainly wasn’t the spectator in the Kemlyn Road front row, he appeared to disagree most heartedly and vocally.

The Rovers defence was so poor at this stage of the game that it was surprising Liverpool were not giving Sewell plenty of work. It must be conceded, however, that football was awkward, more awkward than it appeared on the surface, the top turf being very thick. For the next five minutes Longworth and MacKinlay changed places, and while they were out of place, Longworth threw in a cross which Johnson met with one of those overhead cycle kicks, very entertaining and becoming much loved by the Anfield fans. Alas Sewell pushed it for a corner. From the resulting corner, Beadles outleapt the opposing defence and brought a fine save from Sewell.

McKinnell and McKay were proving to be the best performers for Blackburn and McNabb was having a merry innings against the flying Hodkinson. The ball dropped very dead on today’s pitch, and the hopes of the Rovers did something similar, because the rest of the side was playing poor stuff.

Beadles really was trying for that bonus today, but he was unable to make number two himself. However, he did help Forshaw when a corner was taken by letting the ball pass through his legs, a sort of dummy, come, step over movement. Forshaw crashed the ball home. Although it was only two, the boys started their usual chant, which was becoming very popular.

“One, two, three, four, five” just after this goal was scored in the 35th minute. At their end of the field, the park end, Rodgers had a runaway which was stopped by McNabb and Scott. Scott appeared to injure his arm when diving to ground. Blackburn finished up the half in the same way they had begun, very disappointing in every department. Dawson only had one real chance and there is no measure available to see how far wide it went, whereas three years ago, he would have clamped on a goal.

Just on half time Wadsworth hurt his arm crunching into Rielly, but as the ball broke clear, Beadles missed a sitter, from what could only have been two yards. Whatever his plans were for the goal bonus, he might as well forget it after that effort.

Half Time: Liverpool 2 Blackburn 0

Apart from McKay hoodwinking McNabb by letting the ball run when it looked like he was going to control the ball, there was nothing to report in the early stages of the second half, except attacks by Liverpool. The hapless Beadle was up to his old tricks with more amazing sitter misses. To be fair one of his fresh air swings was due to the pitch, now resembling Oglet shore more than Ainsdale. As the ball stuck in the mud, Beadle swung his leg like a golfer missing a ball in a sand trap.

McNabb was now pushing further and further forward, due to the ineptness of Blackburn’s attacking quintet. Pratt was amazing the crowd with some of his throw ins, I swear some reached the middle of the field. If he could develop this “Long Throw” it could be a useful asset if further up the field and would almost be like a corner. A McKinlay free kick resulted in a fine save from Sewell, but he was injured when Johnson went for a 50-50 ball which Sewell had in his hands.

At long last Blackburn awoke to something like wisdom in their attacks and did eventually beat Scott. Rodgers was the man, he fired in a cracker that flew past Scott, but sadly for Rovers it hit the bar. I would like to think Elisha had it covered though, as he didn’t see fit to dive, he just watched it rebound off the bar and back into play. Two minutes later I think my opinion was confirmed, when Scott flew to his left and saved a corker from Hodkinson from inside the area. Dawson missed one from only four yards out just after, which confirmed in my mind, that Rovers had had their chances in this game and were not going to score even if we played on until supper. McKinlay was putting himself about today, clashes with Reilly and Rodgers were only ever going to have one winner. But to his credit Reilly was not backing away from tackles.

Referee today, Mr Fogg, of Bolton, had been vigilant, but he ruined a perfectly good move by Lacey, which led to Forshaw being given offside. “As a matter of fact there was a lot of offside calls just now” and when Hopkin moved away and passed back to Pratt, the latter made a drive that looked like netting. The ball had hit Forshaw, who controlled it well on his chest and as he pulled the trigger, the whistle went for offside yet again. Twice Forshaw had been denied his hat-trick this half, and yet another fan in the Kemlyn was on his feet, he vehemently disagreed with the official and appeared to offer referee Fogg his seat for a better view.

On the next attack Hopkin broke clear and was cynically tripped from behind. This brought together McKinlay facing Rodgers, Hardy and Poole. He appeared to be explaining to the trio, that such play was not in the spirit of the game. Within two minutes, McKinlay got his point across far more clearly with Hardy and seconds later with Poole. Pratt had been dove-tailing with McKinlay when the latter had gone roaming in the glooming. The home captain had so little to do against Hardy that he could well afford to take liberties. Rovers had once again returned to their poor style and their case became still more troublesome, when McKinlay explained the spirit of the game to Rodgers. Rodgers was carried from the park on a stretcher after 66 minutes.

Forshaw finally completed his hat-trick in the 70th minute, thanks to a kind pass by Johnson. Forshaw received heartiest congratulations from all his comrades, this being the first hat-trick performance of the Championship side. He looked like getting number four, and was not helped by yet another cynical trip down near the penalty box, by the retreating Dawson. There did not seem any prospect of Rovers breaking the record of the Liverpool club, who since December 26th, have not had one league goal scored against them. MacKinlay continued to give us the joy of tricky football, now venturing further and further up-field. And Lacey, by sheer generalship and experience, outwitted Crawley who twice tried to trip him. From one of the great Bill Lacey’s crosses, McKinlay, now playing centre forward at times, hit the bar with a ferocious header. Toward the end of the game some bitterness entered the game as Reilly made horrendous tackles on both McKinlay and Lacey and referee Fogg decided it was time for a caution. So it will be seen that, badly as the Rovers played, nothing was going right for them. Lacey returned the favour on Reilly shortly after and McKinlay had another quiet word with Dawson.

Just before the final whistle, Dawson retired from the game injured. So the Rovers were reduced to nine men. It was later discovered that Rodgers has severe cartilage damage, so that he will be out of the game for some time. At the end of this game Rovers now added their 14th and 15th casualty to their injury list. Rovers at no time in this game were able to compete with Liverpool on a skill basis and they would be wise to avoid turning games into pitch battles as they seem just as inept in the strength department.

Final Score: Liverpool 3 Blackburn 0

Comments of the day:
It was very sad to see Blackburn resort to assault on players throughout this game. Hard tackles are expected as part of the game, but the cynical nature of the heal clipping, became very apparent. They were unable to match the pace and skill of this Liverpool side, but to their cost they also found, they could not match Liverpool in a competitive tackle. McKinlay may have raised a few eyebrows today, but this should not distract attention away from a masterly performance all over the park. As for kicking Lacey as a hobby, I can assure you it’s a waste of time, the boy is made from Solid Rock. Dynamite could not shift him off the ball.

Specials for last week's fixture at West Bromwich, proved unpopular (pictured below leaving Skellhorn Street).

Match 5

Peter has now reached the grand age of 16. George Mallory and Andrew Irvine's heroic attempt to climb Mount Everest fails with both men lost. Lenin dies. Music of the day: click here

"Good Morning Liverpool"

Broadcasting history on Merseyside began in 1924, when Liverpool was chosen to be the fourth of a network of relay stations created by the BBC. 
The crystal set era station 6LV began broadcasting on Wednesday June 11th 1924. The studio was above a cafe in Liverpool's Lord Street. The transmitter and engineers were located on the first floor of a disused paint shop near Smithdown Road. The staff lined up in front of the station for a photograph to celebrate the launch:

6LV turned out to be a shortlived service, transmissions coming to an end in 1931, when a shortage of wavelengths forced re-organisation of radio along regional lines.

1924 Liverpool vs Sheffield United

Headline of the Day
"Forshaw Performs The Hat-trick"

Liverpool line up


Lucas    McKinlay

McNabb   Wadsworth   Bromilow

Rawlings  McDevitt  Forshaw  Shone  Hopkin

Blades fans who crossed the Pennines today came in style. I wouldn't fancy the uphill journey going home though, would you?

Sadly Johnson was absent today because of a cold and Chambers was unable to recover full fitness in time. So the experiment of playing Forshaw at centre forward was one more novelty in Liverpool’s endeavours in the matter of changing positions.

Sheffield began with a very emphatic mis-kick on the part of Harris, and it was lucky for United that it didn’t cost them a goal. His slice fell straight into the path of Shone, who immediately fired a cannon ball just over the bar and into the crowd. Afterwards United began to show their true worth, Gillespie being the dominant force. Sampy and Mercer both came near a goal and the 35,000 spectators, who had risked the foggy conditions breathed a heavy sigh of relief. Minutes later it was the United faithful who breathed heavily as Forshaw, playing in his new position went close, forcing a corner. Sadly like most Liverpool corners nowadays there was no tangible result. It really was becoming an area of concern, I cannot see why more effort is not made on the training ground to improve corner kicks.

There followed six minutes of very dour play, both teams appeared to be struggling to settle. That was until Rawlings broke with pace down the Liverpool right, his out-swinging cross was met by Forshaw. The defence was pretty well open and Forshaw had found enough space, to bring the ball down to earth. Before he shot he seemed to have all the time in the world and one could see a goal sticking out as a certainty. Young Sutcliffe was at the right hand side of goal, and he could only stand and watch as the ball flew past, at a pace that was far to much for him. It was good to see Forshaw break a barren spell because he has been out of luck lately, yet he has been the most persistent shooter in our side. Hopkin nearly followed up with the second shortly after, but Sutcliffe, reminded one of his Father’s days, when he made a lovely one-handed punch, the sort of clearance that one does not see these days.

Sheffield United had a good innings now.

Green had made a drive from inside the box which Scott saved but could not hold, the rebound went to Tunstall who could not help but score, that is until Scott once again pulled off an instinctive save with his chest. The ball fell nicely to Sampy surely he had to score, but again Scott pushed his effort onto the bar. As the ball was cleared, Scott brushed off the dirt, as he did. The next United attack saw a swinging centre from Mercer, which Boyle met with a full blooded header from close range, but the crossbar came to Liverpool’s defence once again.

Liverpool were certainly under the cosh at this stage and when Waugh broke clear all Shone could do was pull his shirt and a free kick was awarded. The free kick proved to be fatal, because Gillespie got hold of the ball, and after beating his back, Lucas missed the tackle, the Irishman drove in a splendid shot to the left hand side of the goal. A valiant effort by Scott in this instance was not enough, it nestled into the corner of the net. As always though in difficult times, Liverpool adopted the right attitude and they fought their way back into the game, when Forshaw hit a brilliant first time shot that just cleared the bar. Liverpool dominated the following spell that lasted over five minutes, but for all their effort they only had one chance to go in front, which was wasted by McDevitt.

United have been a big disappointment so far this season, but a chance of taking a point or two on this, their favourite ground, led them to make a very hearty effort. McDevitt and Rawlings were making a fine job of tripping over each others laces in this half and they must endeavour to give each other more space. Either could have scored, but neither did. Milton, the United back, must have been amused at them getting in each others way. Saved him doing his job.

There was a joyful shout amongst the amassed locals when McKinlay took a free kick just outside the penalty box. McAttack hit one of his usual thunderbolts, it was travelling so fast the eye was struggling. Sampy’s eyes were anyway, it knocked him absolutely senseless. He had saved a certain goal, but that was not going to be any compensation. As all the players surrounded the horizontal player who was obviously seeing stars, McKinlay, chose rather to speak to the referee, after all it was a corner. As Sampy was still dazed and walking around like a three string puppet, the corner came in. Milton rose magnificently on the back post and it was only a tremendous save from his own keeper that kept the scores level.

Sampy was curiously uneven. He could not make the most trivial of passes. I can only assume he was playing with 20 players on his side, due to double vision, as he kept passing the ball into open spaces. Both Mercers drew this to the two referees' attention and Sampy was asked to sit down off the pitch and  eceive more attention from the magic sponges and buckets. After a short spell on the sidelines he returned, and in this brief spell on the pitch he passed to the twins Gillespie, who was unlucky with his first time effort.

For the spell that followed Liverpool were working heavily in defence. Some of them seemed to show signs of the wear and tear of last Wednesday’s fast match. The crowd seemed to enjoy Sheffield’s rally late in the first half, especially the stern defence that was being shown by McKinlay. Donald, on one occasion, had to lie down to head away the danger that had been created through the superlative play of Gillespie, who worked Tunstall to an inch. Scott had to punch away one cross, and Liverpool had only themselves to blame for not taking the chances, mainly offered by Harris who was having a nightmare. Once this United full back completely missed his kick and Hopkin was able to run close in, but then he elected to shoot against the side netting. The glare from Forshaw was all too obvious in it’s intent. In addition to that moments later, Hopkin had twice passed his marker, only to twice over-hit his centres. The glare from Forshaw increased in it’s intensity.

The danger of the home team not taking their chances, was made plainer when Tunstall broke down the left and swung in a long cross to the back post, only for the St Helens boy, Mercer, to miss his opportunity when it screwed off the outside of his boot. On my left, The Lord mayor and the Liberal member for West Derby, Mr Sydney Jones, together with Mr W B Stoddart, could almost be heard sighing with relief when it cleared the crossbar. That’s the difference between the snob-box and the general crowd, they expel sighs, we release a gust of profanities. Just before the interval whistle, Forshaw came close yet again with a very fast shot, to which Sutcliffe got down sharp and good. It had been a hard half “and a half” was an equitable figure at the interval.

Half time: Liverpool 1 Sheffield Utd 1

There was a startling resumption to the second half, when McDevitt offered Forshaw a half chance. He took it instantly and well from close range. Sheffield may well have took to the field, but their minds were still enjoying a cuppa, in the dressing room.

One would have thought this was enough to wake them up, but from the kick off Liverpool broke again through Hopkin and Forshaw came so close to his hat-trick, but couldn’t cover the ground quick enough. Rawlings on the far side could however and his shot went inches over the bar. During this spell, which I think Sheffield were under, Wadsworth decided it was his time for a dribble up the park in his customary fashion. His pass to an open Hopkin, gave the winger all the time he needed to put in a really accurate cross. Forshaw met it with a typical full blooded header to achieve the hat-trick he so deserved. Amid all the felicitations and celebrations a thought crossed my mind. Had I not forecasted on the eve of the game that Forshaw had only need to have a bit of luck in his shooting to run riot? I smiled.

Waugh relieved the trouble in which United had found themselves by a splendid piece of tackling, and the crowd was not slow to show their appreciation of good work on the part of any player. Anfield was like that. Gillespie got a Print on his chest of McNabb’s studs shortly after, which was quickly followed by International team mates, Lucas and Tunstall coming together. But the latter pair shook hands as friends often do. Liverpool were now playing hot and almost looked like they would catch fire, when a splendid move by Rawlings gave Shone a peach of a chance, but Sutcliffe saved well. Moments later the favour was returned when Shone put Rawlings through, but once again Sutcliffe came to the rescue.

At the other end, there was a comic interlude, when a crossed ball by Mercer was allowed to bounce on top of the bar twice, McNabb dashed in and headed it away, while Scott just stood and watched. Scott appeared to shrug his shoulders at McNabb as if to say "what’s the panic? It wasn’t going in". Shame really because Mercer was having one of his poorest days, perhaps Elisha was trying to cheer him up, being a local lad.

As the game ebbed away, Forshaw scored his FOURTH for Liverpool from a Hopkin centre. As the ball came across Forshaw, Milton and McDevitt all went up for the centre. Milton and McDevitt were both flattened as the strong striker powered home yet another header. As the Liverpool players celebrated, both Milton and McDevitt had to be carried off the park. Both semi conscious, but McDevitt also having a nasty cut above his eye. Milton was suffering from concussion we were later informed. When people say Forshaw would run through a brick wall to score for Liverpool, it is not always in jest.

As the chant boys started to sing their now familiar “one two three four five” Rawlings let them down badly when his hesitancy cost him an open goal. I swear as he left the field, the boys were having a joke at his expense.

Final score: Liverpool 4 Sheffield United 1

Comments after the game:
Perhaps the score should read Forshaw 4, Sheffield 1, but that would take away some fine performances from the Liverpool lads. When Hopkin finally found his range on crosses Liverpool had numerous chances to score. McKinlay, once again was McKinlay, he was masterly in defence and is becoming a handful in the middle, when allowed. It was announced after the game that Tom Bromilow had been rewarded for his recent performances, with a reserve spot for the up and coming international between England and Ireland. To be played at Goodison Park on Wednesday. Good luck Tom, you’ve earned it on merit.

Sheffield would do well to find themselves two new full backs after today’s performance, they were abysmal. Sampy obviously never recovered from his blow, he was always yards short in his passing today. But surely he will do better than this at the return at Bramall lane, where they do not know the colour of grass.

It was great to see Liverpool shooting more earnestly and insistently than usual today. Forshaw as a centre forward was aggressive and successful with both shot and dribble.

Other Matches of the Day:
Reece’s overpowered Liverpool Municipal today on a muddy field down Sandfield Park. Goals from Taylor and Hardy secured the victory. Third Division: New Brighton were still leading by one goal at three-quarter time, but a late equaliser cost them a point.

New Brighton with a full league team? I bet that surprises a few. I might try and cover one of their games before we leave the twenties.

© Wooltonian 2005

Part 1 of Liverpool in the Roaring Twenties.
Part 2 of Liverpool in the Roaring Twenties.
Part 4 of Liverpool in the Roaring Twenties.

Next up it's 1925 and the Mersey Tunnel dominates news. Everton and Manchester United visit Anfield in successive weeks only to get thrashed by freeflowing Liverpool ...

Brilliant Karl - the effort and research gone into it shines through.

As Britain's greatest living (?) historian, Jeff Lynan, would say: "Cowe... et veritas vincit."

Great mix of historical fact and personal asides bring fresh ring to all the action.

Doubt very much if any other writer/forum/club could produce stuff of this quality.

Fantastic stuff!

New Brighton has to feature cos of Pongo Wareing connection...

Crucial to remember how the torch has been passed on from one generation to the next... and the next... and the next...

Graham Smith:
Few things stand out.

The ball going into the garden of a Kemlyn Road house and frightening the woman's rabbits. Bet it was the same woman that wouldn't move 60 years later.

Also Blackburn players trying to rough up their opponents - nothing changes.

Best of all the One-Two-Three-Four-Five chant starting at a derby game.


Sarah Deane:
You've got something against my printer, haven't you...?


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version